• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lijik

Yeah I just wish you could play the Rising Codecs while going around slicing up mans

this would definitely be the ideal
I agree about MGR being a snappier game, but I've never got the impression that Drew is into or necessarily good at character action games so it might not be as fun to watch. Well, at least that was my reasoning anyway.

I dunno, let Drew bump it down to easy and plow through while the two of em react to the cutscenes and I dont think itd be too bad.

justjim89

do people still watch the daily show

I like Trevor Noah. He's still finding his groove, but he's an enthusiastic and infectious guy. Correspondents are still great. I think the weakest part of Noah's version of the show is the interviews. But Trevor Noah and Larry Wilmore are a good combination.

Honestly, though, Stewart should have retired a few years ago before HBO scooped up John Oliver. Because that guy is on another level.

yami4ct

that, and Late Show basically became the Daily Show with Stephen Colbert

Absolutely. Noah has done some interesting things, but on the whole it doesn't seem to be working. Sad the transition didn't work out. At least it's gone better than the Colbert Report to the Nightly Show transition. I liked Wilmore as Daily Show correspondent, but what I've seen of the Nightly Show is downright awful.

I like Trevor Noah. He's still finding his groove, but he's an enthusiastic and infectious guy. Correspondents are still great. I think the weakest part of Noah's version of the show is the interviews. But Trevor Noah and Larry Wilmore are a good combination.

Honestly, though, Stewart should have retired a few years ago before HBO scooped up John Oliver. Because that guy is on another level.

Part of what makes Oliver so amazing is that he picked up a bunch of the NYT's investigative reporting team when the paper cut them. I don't think that would've happened had he just picked up Stewart's seat.

Zekes!

This is giant bomb related cause it they talked about it and it's not anime so I assume it's ok, but I read "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World" and that was a really good book. I've got "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" coming tomorrow.

When did they talk about it on Giant Bomb?

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle might be my favourite book

justjim89

Absolutely. Noah has done some interesting things, but on the whole it doesn't seem to be working. Sad the transition didn't work out. At least it's gone better than the Colbert Report to the Nightly Show transition. I liked Wilmore as Daily Show correspondent, but what I've seen of the Nightly Show is downright awful.

Part of what makes Oliver so amazing is that he picked up a bunch of the NYT's investigative reporting team when the paper cut them. I don't think that would've happened had he just picked up Stewart's seat.

I give Comedy Central credit, they're trying new things. Not every hot comedian needs a sketch show, since Key and Peele kinda made all others look pathetic. @midnight and now Not Safe are great shows that actually feel like they belong in 2016. Nightly was an interesting idea, making it a more discussion-focused show. But the discussion is never very good, the second-segment bits and sketches are lame, and the best part of the show is usually Larry talking over news bits of the day. So the only really great part of the show is the part that follows the formula.

yami4ct

I give Comedy Central credit, they're trying new things. Not every hot comedian needs a sketch show, since Key and Peele kinda made all others look pathetic. @midnight and now Not Safe are great shows that actually feel like they belong in 2016. Nightly was an interesting idea, making it a more discussion-focused show. But the discussion is never very good, the second-segment bits and sketches are lame, and the best part of the show is usually Larry talking over news bits of the day. So the only really great part of the show is the part that follows the formula.

After losing the titans that were Colbert and Stewart, Comedy Central knew they couldn't just replace them in the same format and recapture that lightning in a bottle. Trying to go a different direction was absolutely the smart move. I don't think it's worked, but I applaud them for trying. Many networks are far too slow moving to see when they need to change.

On a slightly less related note, I cannot stand @midnight at all. I find Chris Hardwick to be one of the most insufferable human beings on the planet.

Tubobutts

When did they talk about it on Giant Bomb?

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle might be my favourite book
Beastcast a couple of weeks ago when they got an email about books they like and recommendations. Not sure of the episode but without registering I think it was 41.

I specifically did not choose Norwegian Wood after reading the description and deciding I could not handle that right now.

Doop

After losing the titans that were Colbert and Stewart, Comedy Central knew they couldn't just replace them in the same format and recapture that lightning in a bottle. Trying to go a different direction was absolutely the smart move. I don't think it's worked, but I applaud them for trying. Many networks are far too slow moving to see when they need to change.

On a slightly less related note, I cannot stand @midnight at all. I find Chris Hardwick to be one of the most insufferable human beings on the planet.

I've never seen @midnight, but I always disliked it because of the name.

Lijik

I only watch @midnight if I super enjoy one of the people playing as a contestant. I rarely watch it as result, but its really enjoyable when i do.

I don't know if I want hitdan or drewvengeance more.

danjo kadrewie

This is giant bomb related cause it they talked about it and it's not anime so I assume it's ok, but I read "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World" and that was a really good book. I've got "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" coming tomorrow.

What's a good Murakami starting place? I really like modern Japanese literature (ie post-1868), but I've never read Murakami for whatever reason.

yami4ct

I only watch @midnight if I super enjoy one of the people playing as a contestant. I rarely watch it as result, but its really enjoyable when i do.

I find even when I like some of the people on it, the bits are too short for them to work for me and Chris Hardwick just absolutely ruins them every time.

yami4ct

Fuck Chris Hardwick and fuck whoever decided he needs to host like 5 TV shows.

That's the fault of AMC. They saw his Nerdist crap take off and ran with him and other networks followed suit.

I think AMC's idea that every one of their stupid dramas needs a talk show after is even worse than Hardwick himself. I can't get off the channel fast enough once an episode ends.

Bowlie

Banned
Kafka's fucking great.

If you want to feel emotionally empty for the next day or two, and don't mind the lack of supernatural, Norwegian Wood & Sputnik Sweetheart are fine reads as well.

That's a bit light. I loved that book but... UNGH. I couldn't talk to people normally after it.

Bacon

That's the fault of AMC. They saw his Nerdist crap take off and ran with him and other networks followed suit.

I think AMC's idea that every one of their stupid dramas needs a talk show after is even worse than Hardwick himself. I can't get off the channel fast enough once an episode ends.

I remember those talking bad commercials after a tense scene in breaking bad always being super jarring and unwelcome.

"WOW CRAZY SCENE RIGHT THERE STICK WITH US AFTER THE SHOW ENDS"

justjim89

I really enjoy Chris Hardwick. I've loved him since the days of Web Soup and occasionally being on AOTS. Really happy to see how well he's doing these days. Always a cheerful, relatively non-cynical, enthusiastic host or comic.

yami4ct

I really enjoy Chris Hardwick. I've loved him since the days of Web Soup and occasionally being on AOTS. Really happy to see how well he's doing these days. Always a cheerful, relatively non-cynical, enthusiastic host or comic.

He comes off as a smarmy, completely disingenuous shill to me. One of the least genuine people I've ever seen on TV.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man I really should read Norwegian wood.

I think I've read all the weird murakami ones but none of the more grounded ones.

justjim89

He comes off as a smarmy, completely disingenuous shill to me. One of the least genuine people I've ever seen on TV.

Agree to disagree.

tumblr_ndzda4zHOB1qa7udko1_500.gif

justjim89

Just give me a new Breaking Brad. I will take Devil Daggers, the new Doom level, anything. Either that or give me a regular Old Game Show.

Danny is a wonderful human.

That's a man who I'd watch host a Twitter-based game show!

And yeah, I'd love more premium content with the rest of the crew. Give me a Jeff and Brad only premium series. Give me something different. Sometimes it seems like Dan is the only one with the gumption to do stuff regularly. I'm sure that's not the case, but that's how it looks from the outside.

My premium renews in 5 days and I have just over $50 in my account. Whew. Safe.

yami4ct

That's a man who I'd watch host a Twitter-based game show!

And yeah, I'd love more premium content with the rest of the crew. Give me a Jeff and Brad only premium series. Give me something different. Sometimes it seems like Dan is the only one with the gumption to do stuff regularly. I'm sure that's not the case, but that's how it looks from the outside.

My premium renews in 5 days and I have just over $50 in my account. Whew. Safe.

It's probably the opposite. No one wants to give Dan any real responsibility, so he has time to just go out and fuck around on a stream.
Obviously kidding.

LiK

wow, Drew is just shooting the kid. i only went and beat the shit outta him with melee. Drew's method is easier.

so how should we feel about how a lot of games press members end up being PR mouthpieces for game companies

it says a lot that many think Mitch Dyer's going to be Ubisoft or WB PR/CM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom