• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever happened to the universal language of love?

protip: they're probably saying "yes" or "it feels good" in any language

fun fact: in japanese, one says they're "going" instead of "coming"

man there's not much out this week. I'm assuming a QL for Trackmania Turbo, hopefully one for DotT, probably one for that co-op zelda thing?

I noticed recently that a lot of people (mostly Americans it seems) tend to waaayyy overestimate the level of patriotism/fervent separatists that we have here in Québec... It's really just a perfect case of vocal minority.

The vast majority of Québecers are not separatists and don't give a fuck about all that crap.

Wasn't there some big separatist vote a number of years back? To visit family in PEI we have to drive through Quebec and we were actually warned to stick to the highway due to student action.

Sure made me assume there were a lot of crazy people in Quebec who want to live in their own landlocked island.

fun fact: in japanese, one says they're "going" instead of "coming"

Huh.

Is there a mod that makes a little gravestone outside the kerbal space program every time a kerban dies? If not there should be. They should be reminded every time they go to the overhead view of the station.

Myggen

Well, can't sleep so time to watch the chicken fries UPF again

e4LLUan.gif

Good times.

Hey so you wanna know one of the ways Dwarf Fortress is messed up?

Let's say you wanna build some containers to store stuff in. Okay, well you could build some wooden barrels, but those can only hold food and drink. You could also build barrels out of stone in which case they're called rock pots. Actually, pots also hold more stuff than barrels do and by the way you can make pots out of wood too. Also if you make them out of cloth they're called bags and they hold slightly different stuff. Okay, what if you wanna store just whatever? Then you better make some bins, which you can only make out of wood or metal. Maybe you just wanna store clothes, in which case you should make a cabinet. Wanna put storage in a dwarf's bedroom? Then you better make a chest out of wood or metal. Except you could also make chests out of stone, in which case they're called rock coffers. Or you could make them out of glass and then they're called glass boxes. And you install them in a room by going to the build menu and selecting "Container". Hey, remember bags? Turns out you can also install a bag in a room and then it serves the same function as a chest/coffer/box. So you can have four different items that are functionally identical but they're called four different things because of the materials they are made out of. Did I mention, the name of the thing is kinda important because the way you build stuff is by doing a text search on the name of the thing you wanna build. So if you say "I'd like a chest please, but out of stone" and you type in "stone chest" you're gonna come up with jack shit because stone chests are called rock coffers, you dumbass.

Didn't catch all that? Here's a handy chart:

Let's say you wanna build some containers to store stuff in. Okay, well you could build some wooden barrels, but those can only hold food and drink. You could also build barrels out of stone in which case they're called rock pots. Actually, pots also hold more stuff than barrels do and by the way you can make pots out of wood too. Also if you make them out of cloth they're called bags and they hold slightly different stuff. Okay, what if you wanna store just whatever? Then you better make some bins, which you can only make out of wood or metal. Maybe you just wanna store clothes, in which case you should make a cabinet. Wanna put storage in a dwarf's bedroom? Then you better make a chest out of wood or metal. Except you could also make chests out of stone, in which case they're called rock coffers. Or you could make them out of glass and then they're called glass boxes. And you install them in a room by going to the build menu and selecting "Container". Hey, remember bags? Turns out you can also install a bag in a room and then it serves the same function as a chest/coffer/box. So you can have four different items that are functionally identical but they're called four different things because of the materials they are made out of. Did I mention, the name of the thing is kinda important because the way you build stuff is by doing a text search on the name of the thing you wanna build. So if you say "I'd like a chest please, but out of stone" and you type in "stone chest" you're gonna come up with jack shit because stone chests are called rock coffers, you dumbass.

Hmmm... I think Factorio scares me less at this point. Maybe I'll check it out when it gets that VR support.

Well, can't sleep so time to watch the chicken fries UPF again

I'm kind of surprised nobody got sick, but I guess it's pretty hard to get sick off of bread curmbs, spices, and sawdust

glad you're back.

tmntJo9.gif

Hmmm... I think Factorio scares me less at this point. Maybe I'll check it out when it gets that VR support.

I don't find Factorio intimidating at all really. until you fall into a self-imposed trap of endless revisions to your assembly lines, looking for perfect efficiency, because you're a lunatic who gets annoyed when you're making more copper wire than you need and it's messing up your production ratios

Megasoum

Banned
Wasn't there some big separatist vote a number of years back? To visit family in PEI we have to drive through Quebec and we were actually warned to stick to the highway due to student action.

Sure made me assume there were a lot of crazy people in Quebec who want to live in their own landlocked island.

Huh.

Yeah... 21 years ago lol... The separatists lost that referendum and the movement has been loosing ground ever since.

About the students thing, thisnhad nothing to do with that though. This was all about government raising student fees. Also lmao at "stick to the highway" hahahaha haha. Wtf, it's not like it was fucking Detroit from Robocop around here lmao

I don't find Factorio intimidating at all really. until you fall into a self-imposed trap of endless revisions to your assembly lines, looking for perfect efficiency, because you're a lunatic who gets annoyed when you're making more copper wire than you need and it's messing up your production ratios

After watching the QL I started looking at bigger productions and I guess it can get pretty meticulous when you try to be as efficient as possible. Using different speed arms and stuff instead of using the fastest available and making sure you have the right amount going in compared to the time to process. It's not really intimidating so much as I think I'd be addicted to every tiny problem that I'd eventually lose my mind in frustration.

Yeah... 21 years ago lol... The separatists lost that referendum and the movement has been loosing ground ever since.

About the students thing, thisnhad nothing to do with that though. This was all about government raising student fees. Also lmao at "stick to the highway" hahahaha haha. Wtf, it's not like it was fucking Detroit from Robocop around here lmao

Sure as shit wasn't 21 years ago. More like 5-10? Conversation was certainly about separation from what I remember. Maybe it was just outsiders looking in? I imagine some Canadians still have that view of Quebec.

Dude I don't know, we were just driving through and that was advice we were given since we had never driven this particular route before.

Bowlie

Banned

I love this block of text so much.

After watching the QL I started looking at bigger productions and I guess it can get pretty meticulous when you try to be as efficient as possible. Using different speed arms and stuff instead of using the fastest available and making sure you have the right amount going in compared to the time to process. It's not really intimidating so much as I think I'd be addicted to every tiny problem that I'd eventually lose my mind in frustration.

this is where I am. I'm in this weird loop of "I could progress but instead I'm spending hours tweaking this green science assembly line." but the pretty cool thing about this game is that it's really generous with reclaiming items you've placed down, and the world is effectively infinite at default settings, so you're not going to run out of resources. So I've ripped up huge sections of machinery that I've built and rearranged, without losing anything in the process. it's very forgiving with regards to experimentation.

definitely set the bugs at "passive" though like Vinny suggested, unless you like frustration. at least for your first time through the game. it's way too hard/too much pressure otherwise.

Megasoum

Banned
Sure as shit wasn't 21 years ago. More like 5-7? Conversation was certainly about separation from what I remember. Maybe it was just outsiders looking in?

Dude I don't know, we were just driving through and that was advice we were given since we had never driven this particular route before.

Well there's normal elections every 4 years or so and one of the big 2 party is technically separatist and they were the government until the last elections (Pauline Marois was PM).

The reality however is that only the most hardcore wing of the PQ (the separatists party) is really separatist. The party as a whole had to realign themselves toward the center and drop the separatists rethoric during the campaign leading to the election cause it's such an unpopular idea nowadays.

this is where I am. I'm in this weird loop of "I could progress but instead I'm spending hours tweaking this green science assembly line." but the pretty cool thing about this game is that it's really generous with reclaiming items you've placed down, and the world is effectively infinite at default settings, so you're not going to run out of resources. So I've ripped up huge sections of machinery that I've built and rearranged, without losing anything in the process. it's very forgiving with regards to experimentation.

definitely set the bugs at "passive" though like Vinny suggested, unless you like frustration. at least for your first time through the game. it's way too hard/too much pressure otherwise.

I'm still waiting to see Vinny's update video he seemed to want to do in the Beastcast.

I still chuckle at the idea of a chicken's leg being wet.

Dwarf Fortress, man, that's a fucking thing if there ever was one

Vinny's fixation on that during the video is the best part.

DamnBoxes

Well there's normal elections every 4 years or so and one of the big 2 party is technically separatist and they were the government until the last elections (Pauline Marois was PM).

The reality however is that only the most hardcore wing of the PQ (the separatists party) is really separatist. The party as a whole had to realign themselves toward the center and drop the separatists rethoric during the campaign leading to the election cause it's such an unpopular idea nowadays.

Pretty much.

Naturally, election season brings out the worst in us all, so that's when separatist talk gets hot here in Quebec. The PQ then gets bopped and then we all go back to being a happy family again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I did say I was looking for wrestling and sk gave me tips. It was just a matter of time.

Stardust is a good performer but have fun realizing they're never going to give him anything good to work with

at least he's still on TV which is more than I can say about Damien Sandow

popo

Patreon is not long term viable to run a business. It is more useful for side projects or single freelancers. I guess it could replace angel investors in getting a project started with a longer term goal of getting bought or bringing in outside investment.. Using this Easy Allies (sounds more like a hemorrhoid cream to me) thing as an example. They are smart to hedge their bets and not have everyone work full time on it until they can support those costs.

This is a thin ass Japanese wall and my wife's family are saying no to putting nails in the wall, should have said that initially sorry.

I'll just wait until we move out I guess

If they don't let you use thumb tacks/drawing pins then I think you are out of options. Blue tack will not stick to wallpaper.

Santar

Watching Metal Gear Scanlon I gotta admit it's still a bit frustrating to see them get frustrated and annoyed by all the online bullshit in the game when all they've had to do this entire time was play the game offline!
All the online crap goes away if you do just that small thing.

I've said it before and Dan even mentioned it at the start of one of the episodes but they just can't seem to remember to just play offline.

popo

Dan should do a special breaking news podcast on WWE pogs. At least as significant (to Dan) as the Xbox One backtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom