• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Am I remembering it wrong or didn't the old R&C games have alot of platforming in them? Because the quick look didn't have any of that.

They had some short and fairly linear stuff connecting combat encounters. The shooting was always the number 1 focus. They'd do some clever things with rail grind sections and other equipment, but it wasn't the bulk of the game. You could occasionally go off to the side to find optional arenas and collectables, but that's as crazy at it got, as far as I remember.

I haven't seen the new one, but I imagine it's fairly similar.

hamchan

Just wanted to contribute to everyone saying how awesome Dark Souls 3 is. Sorry if it seemed a bit random.

I could actually say what the amazing moment was but it would be massive spoiler territory not suitable for this thread.

I can only imagine the guys on the crew who are as into Souls as me had a similar reaction.

daydream

Banned
r&c ql having the expected effect, ugh

i don't have the ps2 games or my ps2 here so my only realistic options to play some ratchet is to get the collection and/or size matters on vita, the former not being a real option since i don't wanna support shoddy ports

Strax

Spoiler culture is a plague on society.

Totally.

I think it's for people who like to get angry but don't actually believe in anything.

Spoiler culture, at least in TV shows, is the result of the internet getting better and faster for more people. If you missed a TV show 10 years ago you maybe had one chance to see a rerun during that week at 3 am or something. People wanted to know what they missed so they could be in the convo.

Jintor

Got stuck at a boss in DS3 for like an hour. About to pack up and go to bed. GOT HIM. Pumped my fist in the air and shouted.

When you know what to do and you've just got to get that execution down, man. It feels so fucking satisfying when you get it. I don't want to tally my deaths though, lol.

Bacon

Got stuck at a boss in DS3 for like an hour. About to pack up and go to bed. GOT HIM. Pumped my fist in the air and shouted.

When you know what to do and you've just got to get that execution down, man. It feels so fucking satisfying when you get it. I don't want to tally my deaths though, lol.

This is dark souls in a nutshell for me. Nothing else quite reaches those highs of beating a boss that had been kicking your ass for a while.

Just wanted to contribute to everyone saying how awesome Dark Souls 3 is. Sorry if it seemed a bit random.

I could actually say what the amazing moment was but it would be massive spoiler territory not suitable for this thread.

I can only imagine the guys on the crew who are as into Souls as me had a similar reaction.
Nah, I kind of want to know what it is as I'm 17 hours in so I'm wondering if I've seen it. Since it's spoilery I'll pm you.

Gungeon talk on the Bombcast was weird and not entirely accurate. Especially Jeff saying "it's not super obvious how to even start co-op" when it's activated by the only NPC visible on the screen where you start...

Volcynika

Gungeon talk on the Bombcast was weird and not entirely accurate. Especially Jeff saying "it's not super obvious how to even start co-op" when it's activated by the only NPC visible on the screen where you start...

I thought it was a secret character I just hadn't unlocked when I watched the QL until they actually talked to them, it's not that obvious. Most people would think the second player could just start up and hit start while in the Breach.

Brashnir

There is no story for dark souls, you're spoiling nothing

You're spoiling destiny

gameplay spoiler for Dark Souls:

get right up in the enemy's personal space and strafe right.

If that doesn't work, roll directly into its attacks and i-frame through their weapon.

it's definitely not as obvious as it should be but also took me all of 30 seconds to figure out when I started playing. it's still bad design.

Catching up on Metal Gear Scanlon yesterday and today has really made me realize that my not playing Chapter 2 was the right choice. What a boring, tedious bunch of garbage.

So what does Drew actually have to do from here to get to the end of the game?

Off the top of my head still to come is...

Quiet leaving / rescue mission

Emmerick being kicked out.

The outbreak.

"the man who sold the world"

I dont remember the requirements for anything.

scaffa

But that character also kinda blends in with the others. It's not very well communicated that this is the NPC you need to talk to for co-op, it's easy to miss and not see.

Fair enough, maybe it just jumped out at me since I made talking to everyone I could find a priority.

Is that mission required? I thought it was optional, but if it's not...we might need all three of those "Part 001" digits.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It's obvious the same way it's obvious that repeatedly talking to the same person in Dark Souls will yield completely different (and sometimes vital) information. It's only obvious if you tried it for whatever reason that the game never hinted at. If the first time you played Gungeon you just ran to the door to shoot things, you'd probably never think to try talking to that character later.

santeesioux

I think if he makes good progress he can get done in several hours. We need to hear the tapes at the end though, especially the ones about the hamburgers

Emmerick being kicked out.

The outbreak.

"the man who sold the world"

I dont remember the requirements for anything.

Do side ops till each one pops up.

Is that mission required? I thought it was optional, but if it's not...we might need all three of those "Part 001" digits.

It's optional, but it's still worth seeing if you've made it this far.

I liked the sense of closure it brought to that character (despite the many narrative mistakes made en route), but fuck, that mission is just beyond frustrating. Just an endless barrage of bullshit instakill tank shells.
I feel like a crazy person, that mission might be one of my favourite missions in the whole game.

Zaph

I feel like a crazy person, that mission might be one of my favourite missions in the whole game.
The mission was great, but I must have gotten lucky or my loadout was a good fit because it only took two attempts and I'm pretty bad at games. Thought it nailed the futile/bittersweet/sappy end to that melodramatic storyline.

you know how people complained that Deus Ex HR did a shit job with accounting for all playstyles with its boss fights?

MGSV is like the worst at that shit. You spend 60-80 hours fucking being the stealthiest of stealth and then
at the end they expect you to fucking fight off like a dozen tanks that have the best aim assist available

shit was awful, no one asked for that.

yami4ct

The mission was great, but I must have gotten lucky or my loadout was a good fit because it only took two attempts and I'm pretty bad at games. Thought it nailed the futile/bittersweet/sappy end to that melodramatic storyline.

The story stuff might be actually one of the few well told moments of MGSV. The actual mission? It's trash. You know what's fun? Getting one-shotted by tanks that can somehow see and hit you while you're in cover behind a wall. Also, there are at least 4 of them to take out.

I think if he makes good progress he can get done in several hours. We need to hear the tapes at the end though, especially the ones about the hamburgers
I'd say they'd have to do the Zero/Paz ones as well for completion.

Cheers for the clarification, funky. Perhaps they can close it out then, although it'd be a long'un.

I think it was the same for me, I had a bunch of the lethal equipment researched so that mission was a good opportunity to use all that stuff.

yami4ct

I'd say they'd have to do the Zero/Paz ones as well for completion.

Cheers for the clarification, funky. Perhaps they can close it out then, although it'd be a long'un.

I don't think they'll do the
Paz
stuff. They haven't been doing the 'rescue mother base solider' side ops AFAIK and Dan hasn't even really mentioned it.

It's kind of a stupid storyline anyway.

well, that one mission that funky mentions is like an hour long so I dont seem them wrapping this up today unless they do a 5 hour stream or something

I mean, Drew has pretty much said he's ready for a marathon stream.

BigBoss

Hopefully Dan tells Drew to drop the shitty
level 1 rocket launcher that Quiet tosses to Snake and use one of his upgraded rocket launchers.
That homing multi-rocket launcher would make that mission a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom