• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
I wish Max Temkin would team up with Jackbox Games (both are Chicago-based) and make a Cards Against Humanity video game that uses the cell-phone stuff that the Jackbox games do.

I've thought of that too, seems like a perfect fit. Would have been great when I was still playing. I feel like CAH's time sort of came and went, it got old pretty quick.

(I say that completely anecdotally, it probably still does gangbusters for them despite fizzling out with everyone I know a while ago)

yami4ct

I really loved the world design of Bloodborne, and the level design was pretty decent too (not Dark Souls I tier, but much better than 2). Most of the boss fights were pretty enjoyable, if a bit samey. But yeah, DS2 disappointed me in every way (except for the Crypt Blacksword, which I think is my favorite weapon of the Souls series).

My problem with BB is that, while it gave you a great toolset, it did very little to force you to use it. All the bosses where extremely forgiving and none of them really forced you to make good use of the mechanics like a Dark Souls' style boss should. The only bosses in that game I'd consider near good are Ebrietus, Gascoigne and the First Hunter. The rest are pushovers. Same for the basic enemies. There was no real risk for moving around the world because the basic enemies posed almost zero threat.

Then you add all the souls staples that are all but stripped out of that game. There's no build variety because weapons basically all scale off the same things and there are no real magic options. Weapon crafting is non existent. The covenant system was gutted and frankly feels incomplete. PVP was nerfed to hell. There is no real cost for summoning since insight is so plentiful.

Bloodborne is a competent and fun action game, but it's a piss poor Souls style RPG in my opinion.

yami4ct

Yeah, but the gameplay is so fucking goooood.

It's only really great in the 3 bosses or so that actually make you use it. Otherwise, it's not really any better than Dark Souls. It's a bit faster, but most of the bosses could easily be beaten with the slower DS toolset.

Lack of build variety is such a huge fucking bummer as well.

My problem with BB is that, while it gave you a great toolset, it did very little to force you to use it. All the bosses where extremely forgiving and none of them really forced you to make good use of the mechanics like a Dark Souls' style boss should. The only bosses in that game I'd consider near good are Ebrietus, Gascoigne and the First Hunter. The rest are pushovers. Same for the basic enemies. There was no real risk for moving around the world because the basic enemies posed almost zero threat.

Then you add all the souls staples that are all but stripped out of that game. There's no build variety because weapons basically all scale off the same things and there are no real magic options. Weapon crafting is non existent. The covenant system was gutted and frankly feels incomplete. PVP was nerfed to hell. There is no real cost for summoning since insight is so plentiful.

Bloodborne is a competent and fun action game, but it's a piss poor Souls style RPG in my opinion.

All of the combat in BB just feels so much better than previous Souls games, though. Like the actual act of parrying and dodging shit. I agree with all of your points, though, and have the same critiques. NPCs are also pretty much non-existent other than Eileen, who is just fantastic character design.

From what I've played of DS3 (5 or 6 bosses so far), it has the best second-to-second combat of the Souls games. Seems like they took what they learned in Bloodborne and applied it here.

Bard Stream

It's a Painted, Painted, Painted World: Part 01

It's a Painted, Painted, Painted World: Part 02

maybe it's because i've been drinking. but i want these

I was just at the store. I was eyeing up a bag of these, I should have gotten them.
oreo-600x450.jpg

yami4ct

All of the combat in BB just feels so much better than previous Souls games, though. Like the actual act of parrying and dodging shit. I agree with all of your points, though, and have the same critiques. NPCs are also pretty much non-existent other than Eileen, who is just fantastic character design.

From what I've played of DS3 (5 or 6 bosses so far), it has the best second-to-second combat of the Souls games. Seems like they took what they learned in Bloodborne and applied it here.

I think the combat is a really fantastic twist that kept the Souls feel while creating something new. That's just not enough for me personally and the rest of the game was so poor that I left feeling more disappointed than excited. I hope they fix it up in Bloodborne 2, because they could actually have something amazing if they can put together all the pieces.

Dark Souls 1 still has the highest highs when you put together difficulty, world design and boss fights, but I actually think Dark Souls 3 is my favorite overall. Such an awesomely consistent game.

I think the combat is a really fantastic twist that kept the Souls feel while creating something new. That's just not enough for me personally and the rest of the game was so poor that I left feeling more disappointed than excited. I hope they fix it up in Bloodborne 2, because they could actually have something amazing if they can put together all the pieces.

Dark Souls 1 still has the highest highs when you put together difficulty, world design and boss fights, but I actually think Dark Souls 3 is my favorite overall. Such an awesomely consistent game.

I thought Bloodborn offered a new and interesting world that was organically connected with the most interesting narrative beats of the series. 3 so far seems like nothing more than of similar locations from the other games with the worst boss designs in the series for me. I'm hoping things will improve as I'm only up to the
catacombs
but so far it's been the least compelling Souls game for me.

I also really miss the power stances from DS2. I have no idea why they decided to remove the system.

yami4ct

I thought Bloodborn offered a new and interesting world that was organically connected with the most interesting narrative beats of the series. 3 so far seems like nothing more than of similar locations from the other games with the worst boss designs in the series for me. I'm hoping things will improve as I'm only up to the
catacombs
but so far it's been the least compelling Souls game for me.

I also really miss the power stances from DS2. I have no idea why they decided to remove the system.

I agree with the world of Bloodborne being good (once you get out of boring as shit and too long Yharnam). It's everything else outside of that and the content that put that game low on the souls list for me. I play Souls games for the fair and fun challenge and cool bosses. Dark Souls 3 has the best set of that for any souls games for me. There's at least 4-5 bosses in this game that will make my top 10 Souls fights.

You are also right in the middle of where I thought the game started taking off. The game just keeps getting better and better post
Abyss Watchers
. I like the first part of the game a fair bit, but it's from that boss on that really make me love DS3 as much as I do.

I'm about 85% through DS3 now, and I think BB is the better game.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there a full archive for Jason's stream? The link I have on youtube seems to start in the middle of it.

Also maybe it's me but the video is really not smooth for me... Like the audio is fine but the image is too slow and then suddenly catches up super quick.

Lelcar

Maaan, people need to shorten the questions they ask at panels. I'm watching the archived Giant Bomb panel and people have like minute long set-ups to all of their questions, and then only 4 questions get asked, it's funny, I love the Q&A part of the panels.

yami4ct

DS3 is more fun than Bloodborne

If Bloodborne's base enemies were actually a threat and it had 2-3 more Gascoigne/Ebrietas level bosses and the PVP and covenants weren't stripped to shit, I could begin comparing it in quality to Dark Souls 3. The poor build variety would still hurt it, but those are the things that kill it.

KingKong

I haven't played Souls 1 in so long but watching Brads stream reminded of just how slow it seems now. Compare that black knight after the archers to the ones you fight in 3, it's like night and day

This is really weird. I'm trying to watch Jason's stream from today on youtube. If I use an internet browser, i get a roughly 2 and a half hour file starting with street fighter 5. If I use the youtube app on my phone, It is an hour long video starting with Jackbox Party Pack. If I use the youtube app on the Xbox One i get a 15 second video with Chuck Woolery and a creepy music bed.....GAF please help.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Altus already has to develop 2 different ps4 versions of the game, yall crazy if you think the ps3 version is coming stateside

If it releases before september they don't have to do that do they? Also not like you actually have to do much for neo, you just don't have to make it worse than base iirc.

Also it's not like they have to localise different versions. Probably some work to implement the localisation changes in both versions but a bulk of the work would be translation and voice-acting which is going to remain the same on both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom