• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

can girlGAf help me please...searching the internet for these: ;_;
aARnL52_700b.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
https://www.facebook.com/seoulrhythmshop

Shop owner is on vacation till June 5th but this store seems to be the origin.

Hey guys! Hopefully this will clear up some of the questions about the cat tights--they will be available on June 10 when the shop opens again. They'll cost $12/pair, and shipping is $6 to US, $8 international, and yes, anywhere in the world that USPS ships! If you have any more questions, feel free to send them to emily@seoulrhythm.com, where they're much less likely to get lost!

Tash

He funny, just was looking at those tights too yesterday. They are simply awesome.
So yeah, after a hiatus at Nordic Game and hanging out with Tim Schafer and Dino Patti (yay for awesome and sexy game devs) I am coming back to a ban galore :/ (oh..bangalore..hah)
Shame :(

On other news: I got a brand new 3DS XL and can't wait for Animal Crossing. Woo, two more weeks.

Also, if anyone wants to add me since I do not have any friends yet, buhhoooo :(
2552-1182-0961

He funny, just was looking at those tights too yesterday. They are simply awesome.
So yeah, after a hiatus at Nordic Game and hanging out with Tim Schafer and Dino Patti (yay for awesome and sexy game devs) I am coming back to a ban galore :/ (oh..bangalore..hah)
Shame :(

On other news: I got a brand new 3DS XL and can't wait for Animal Crossing. Woo, two more weeks.

Also, if anyone wants to add me since I do not have any friends yet, buhhoooo :(
2552-1182-0961

sheeet :D how did you do that

soepje

Quite off topic, but are there any moms in girl gaf? I would like some advice.

My hubbie and i always wanted kids 'later'. Now we´ve been happily married for over 5 years, and i´m in my late twenties, so it seems that 'later' is getting close.
We´ve discussed it, and today he said he´s happy to try and see what happens. But even though i want kids, i´m not sure if the time is right and if we are ready, there is still so much to do and fix, different jobs, safe some more money, vacations to places we haven´t been to etc etc.. At the same time, i´m quite aware there is never a perfect time.

When did you guys decide to go for it? And how did it work out for you? Looking back, would you do things differently?

KuroNeeko

My hubbie and i always wanted kids 'later'. Now we´ve been happily married for over 5 years, and i´m in my late twenties, so it seems that 'later' is getting close.
We´ve discussed it, and today he said he´s happy to try and see what happens. But even though i want kids, i´m not sure if the time is right and if we are ready, there is still so much to do and fix, different jobs, safe some more money, vacations to places we haven´t been to etc etc.. At the same time, i´m quite aware there is never a perfect time.

When did you guys decide to go for it? And how did it work out for you? Looking back, would you do things differently?

Actually came into this thread for an entirely different reason, but I caught your post and thought I'd drop a line. Just to start things off, I'm a dad, not a mom - but I still feel like I can add something to the discussion.

It's exactly what you said, there never is a perfect time. We had our first when I was 32 (wife 35). I think looking back that 32 / 35 was a good time for us as I started really making enough to take care of everyone without her salary. I feel like if you're serious about having a child, you should make sure you're somewhat stable financially and emotionally. Having a child is a lot of stress (and fun!), but it's really rough on the mother with the lack of sleep, hormonal changes, and lack of free time. You kind of owe it to yourselves and your young one to be in a calm, balanced place (physically and emotionally) before giving birth.

The biggest source of stress for my wife was the sudden lack of "us" time to just go out and spend the day at the park or the zoo. It will take some getting used to, but you'll eventually get to the point when you start enjoying going out as a family just as much (though in a different way.) You just got to ask yourself, "Am I ok putting things on hold in my life in terms of my job, relationships with friends, and free time?" If you the answer is "yes" then you may be ready. Every situation is different though, and it's like you said, "There's no perfect time." Eventually, you just have to take the plunge and trust yourselves that you can do it.

For the most part, the real world stuff like money will fall into place so long as you keep working together constructively. You'll miss the quality time you used to have, so I guess I'd just recommend enjoying each other's company as much as you can while you can. You can always start traveling again once the children have grown up and moved out. Having said that, we did spend the first 7-8 years of our relationship traveling and having fun, just the two of us. For us, that was definitely the way to go. I feel like you really need to love and enjoy each other's company before having a little one and going out and "living" meant that we wouldn't have too many regrets about "missed opportunities" when we did settle down.

At 2 1/2 years old, our biggest challenge is still carving out enough time to do things together, but the respect and gratitude I feel for my wife (the mother of our son!) has increased greatly. As long as your relationship with your husband is solid, and you're both committed to being great parents, then you're where you should be. The fear and uncertainty are absolutely normal, but personally, it was nothing compared to the joy of the journey. When you first see your baby, it's like that scene in Seuss's "The Grinch That Stole Christmas" when the Grinch's heart like doubles in size. It's exactly like that.

Anyway, sorry I can't offer a mother's perspective. If you feel like you want more time to enjoy your youth and husband's company, then another year or two (or three!) isn't too long to wait. However, if the thought of a child excites you and you're just feeling the jitters, then sit down and talk with your husband about where you want to be and if you really want to move ahead. You're in for a wild ride;D

Tash

sheeet :D how did you do that

The awesomeness to work in the gaming industry :)
I've known Dino for a while but only talked to Tim over Twitter. First time I got to hang out with him and meet him in person (and met his wife and lovely daughter Lilly very briefly).

Tash

I am 38 and still not sure...
Late twenties is not late nowadays so don't panic :)

The awesomeness to work in the gaming industry :)
I've known Dino for a while but only talked to Tim over Twitter. First time I got to hang out with him and meet him in person (and met his wife and lovely daughter Lilly very briefly).

that's so awesome. would you mind telling me/us a bit how you came to work there in the first place? the question of women working in the gaming industry keeps coming up on GAF & I bet it would be interesting to hear :)

I am no woman, but my Mother's only regret, is that she wished to see more of the world and vacation more.

soepje

Actually came into this thread for an entirely different reason, but I caught your post and thought I'd drop a line. Just to start things off, I'm a dad, not a mom - but I still feel like I can add something to the discussion.

It's exactly what you said, there never is a perfect time. We had our first when I was 32 (wife 35). I think looking back that 32 / 35 was a good time for us as I started really making enough to take care of everyone without her salary. I feel like if you're serious about having a child, you should make sure you're somewhat stable financially and emotionally. Having a child is a lot of stress (and fun!), but it's really rough on the mother with the lack of sleep, hormonal changes, and lack of free time. You kind of owe it to yourselves and your young one to be in a calm, balanced place (physically and emotionally) before giving birth.

The biggest source of stress for my wife was the sudden lack of "us" time to just go out and spend the day at the park or the zoo. It will take some getting used to, but you'll eventually get to the point when you start enjoying going out as a family just as much (though in a different way.) You just got to ask yourself, "Am I ok putting things on hold in my life in terms of my job, relationships with friends, and free time?" If you the answer is "yes" then you may be ready. Every situation is different though, and it's like you said, "There's no perfect time." Eventually, you just have to take the plunge and trust yourselves that you can do it.

For the most part, the real world stuff like money will fall into place so long as you keep working together constructively. You'll miss the quality time you used to have, so I guess I'd just recommend enjoying each other's company as much as you can while you can. You can always start traveling again once the children have grown up and moved out. Having said that, we did spend the first 7-8 years of our relationship traveling and having fun, just the two of us. For us, that was definitely the way to go. I feel like you really need to love and enjoy each other's company before having a little one and going out and "living" meant that we wouldn't have too many regrets about "missed opportunities" when we did settle down.

At 2 1/2 years old, our biggest challenge is still carving out enough time to do things together, but the respect and gratitude I feel for my wife (the mother of our son!) has increased greatly. As long as your relationship with your husband is solid, and you're both committed to being great parents, then you're where you should be. The fear and uncertainty are absolutely normal, but personally, it was nothing compared to the joy of the journey. When you first see your baby, it's like that scene in Seuss's "The Grinch That Stole Christmas" when the Grinch's heart like doubles in size. It's exactly like that.

Anyway, sorry I can't offer a mother's perspective. If you feel like you want more time to enjoy your youth and husband's company, then another year or two (or three!) isn't too long to wait. However, if the thought of a child excites you and you're just feeling the jitters, then sit down and talk with your husband about where you want to be and if you really want to move ahead. You're in for a wild ride;D
Thank you for your input! It really helped me put things in perspective. I have no doubts about the relationship with my husband, we´ve known eachother for 10+ years and i think we are capabel of being good parents. But we do have a lot of things going on atm already, we are moving houses this year, i´m getting my bachelors by evening study (about 1,5 years to go) and we are both working fulltime. So perhaps it´s indeed better to wait a bit longer instead of trying to put a baby into the mix too.

I am 38 and still not sure...
Late twenties is not late nowadays so don't panic :)
Haha, yes i guess it´s also the gloomy big three O in the near future working its wonders :p. That, and we are surrounded by a whole bunch of people who got their kids at young age, so it seems kind of like the norm what adds to the 'pressure to produce' too :).

I am no woman, but my Mother's only regret, is that she wished to see more of the world and vacation more.
Yes, i still didn´t do my road trip through the USA yet.

Thanks all :)!

Tash

that's so awesome. would you mind telling me/us a bit how you came to work there in the first place? the question of women working in the gaming industry keeps coming up on GAF & I bet it would be interesting to hear :)

Oh sure :)

I have been working in the industry for over 15 years.
It started because I was and am a hardcore gamer. I landed my first "industry job" for Everquest as a guide and then later as a GM. Organizing and running in game events. I then went on to do some more community management for Lord of the Rings Online, did concept art for both video games and table tops and TCGs (The official Game of Thrones TCG and Arkham Horror based on Call of Cthulhu). Then I started worldbuilding, community management and PR for another MMO. Did Level design, project management and content creation.

Now I am working for a small indie in Norway and do Business Development, PR and Marketing as well as level design and platform specific Design. Since we are only 10 people all of us do a bit of everything. I can't program but I can hack a bit :p

I am lucky that I am the only one in the company thoroughly enjoying attending conferences, giving speeches, talking to the media and networking. It made it possible for me to make friends with the big names in the industry. I hoped I can make it to E3 this year but unfortunately it's a no go :( Next stop is GDC Europe and Gamescom in Cologne.

I also happen to get to meet people in the wierdest places:
Last year I was in Malmö/Sweden for the Nordic Game conference. I was a day early and had to wait in the lobby for my room to get ready. So there is that guy talking to the receptionist and he obviously was in the wrong hotel. The hotel staff asks him if he should call his hotel to check if his room is ready and asks for his name and the guy says: Phil Fish.

So that's the story of how I met Phil Fish in person and got to hang out with him last year. In turn I met a lot of other Canadian Devs who where there with him. Nathan Vella from Cappybara comes to mind.

This year besides Tim Schafer it was also a great pleasure to meet Richard Lemarchand, the ex lead designer of naughty dog. All of us were speakers and we had a special speaker reception to get to know each other. It's just so brilliant how you can meet people that way :)

And yeah, I seriously love my job ;)
In terms of how to get into the industry, it's always through contacts or co-incidences really. I made a splash with writing in depth guides for specific classes for EQ, AO, Rift and Aion for example. The devs are watching the forums quite closely and a community management job is a great start into the industry if you do not have a full fledged programming degree or any other gaming development related education.
I was also a freelance artist before landing official jobs. It went from hobby to full-time because I won some awards and had my art up on cgtalk/cgsociety.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
In terms of how to get into the industry, it's always through contacts or co-incidences really. I made a splash with writing in depth guides for specific classes for EQ, AO, Rift and Aion for example. The devs are watching the forums quite closely and a community management job is a great start into the industry if you do not have a full fledged programming degree or any other gaming development related education.
I was also a freelance artist before landing official jobs. It went from hobby to full-time because I won some awards and had my art up on cgtalk/cgsociety.

I took the QA->Production route, but that was easier 10+ years ago than it is now, unless you can snag a QA position for a developer. Harder to go that route these days through a publisher without internal studios or a QA-only facility. But yeah, even back then it was all about the contacts you make along the way - getting promoted to any sort of lead spot puts you in more contact with developers, where you further build out your networking/relationships.

Oh sure :)

I have been working in the industry for over 15 years.
It started because I was and am a hardcore gamer. I landed my first "industry job" for Everquest as a guide and then later as a GM. Organizing and running in game events. I then went on to do some more community management for Lord of the Rings Online, did concept art for both video games and table tops and TCGs (The official Game of Thrones TCG and Arkham Horror based on Call of Cthulhu). Then I started worldbuilding, community management and PR for another MMO. Did Level design, project management and content creation.

Now I am working for a small indie in Norway and do Business Development, PR and Marketing as well as level design and platform specific Design. Since we are only 10 people all of us do a bit of everything. I can't program but I can hack a bit :p

I am lucky that I am the only one in the company thoroughly enjoying attending conferences, giving speeches, talking to the media and networking. It made it possible for me to make friends with the big names in the industry. I hoped I can make it to E3 this year but unfortunately it's a no go :( Next stop is GDC Europe and Gamescom in Cologne.

I also happen to get to meet people in the wierdest places:
Last year I was in Malmö/Sweden for the Nordic Game conference. I was a day early and had to wait in the lobby for my room to get ready. So there is that guy talking to the receptionist and he obviously was in the wrong hotel. The hotel staff asks him if he should call his hotel to check if his room is ready and asks for his name and the guy says: Phil Fish.

So that's the story of how I met Phil Fish in person and got to hang out with him last year. In turn I met a lot of other Canadian Devs who where there with him. Nathan Vella from Cappybara comes to mind.

This year besides Tim Schafer it was also a great pleasure to meet Richard Lemarchand, the ex lead designer of naughty dog. All of us were speakers and we had a special speaker reception to get to know each other. It's just so brilliant how you can meet people that way :)

And yeah, I seriously love my job ;)

wowowow thanks so much for sharing *-*
that really sounds amazing :) so cool.
also an interesting "tour" you took to get where you are now, a lot of nice stops you had along the way I'd say.
I'm currently still studying, also have a couple of game study classes, which hopefully will be useful in the future. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it but something in the industry or at least "around it" would be great.

Tash

wowowow thanks so much for sharing *-*
that really sounds amazing :) so cool.
also an interesting "tour" you took to get where you are now, a lot of nice stops you had along the way I'd say.
I'm currently still studying, also have a couple of game study classes, which hopefully will be useful in the future. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it but something in the industry or at least "around it" would be great.

I've done pretty much anything except raw programming and 3D/animation :)
Stay in contact if you want and I can see what I can do once you are looking for a job. If you have, send me your linkedin by PM so I can add you to my network :)

Tash

I took the QA->Production route, but that was easier 10+ years ago than it is now, unless you can snag a QA position for a developer. Harder to go that route these days through a publisher without internal studios or a QA-only facility. But yeah, even back then it was all about the contacts you make along the way - getting promoted to any sort of lead spot puts you in more contact with developers, where you further build out your networking/relationships.

Oh yeah, that works too. It's still pretty much the same to be honest but as you mentioned, networking is much more important nowadays. Also some studios are looking for seniors and others are looking for totally fresh meat they can shape according to their workflow. Personal contacts are most important though..or Vitamin B like we call it in Switzerland :)

soepje

Mother of three here.

For me, it was one of those 'it just happened' things. But yeah, in hindsight, I would have planned things out more. If you aren't comfortable financially I would wait a little bit. Maybe plan one big vacation or the like before you start really trying, as a last hurrah.

Also, when you do have a kid, don't feel pressured to have more just because people think two or more are better. Only commit to having another if YOU feel it's best for you and your family :)

Good luck!

Thanks for your response fiction :)! On the one side, i really want a kid 'Now!!'(which is weird, i´ve never been one of those hormonal/maternal ones). But when i think about it rationally, i do believe we don´t have it all rightly set just yet.. I hope my brain will beat my instincts for a year or so, until we are settled in our new place at least.

*closes personal blog on gaf :p*

Edit: Wow Tash, that is awesome :D!, you really found your way into working for fun instead of for money. You are one of the lucky few :)!

Cute socks, baby mania, inspirational story.

I've heard rumours of a mythical Girl-gaf IRC channel, where pj's are worn and pillows thrown.
Is it true what they say, that it is for real?

Platy

Beautiful game !

...insanely complicated to the point the first time I just gave up learning the rules and just watched friends playing ... but the art is really awesome =D

Tash

Beautiful game !

...insanely complicated to the point the first time I just gave up learning the rules and just watched friends playing ... but the art is really awesome =D

Thanks and yeah I love it to bits.
Btw, you can play both me and my bf as investigators. Complete with figurines. He does a lot of art as well and has done pretty much all the boards for most FFG games.

This is my Character: Ursula Downs
And this his his: Finn Edwards
We also made one of the box covers together. The one to the right.

The upsides to working for FFG is that we have a whole room full of all Trading Card Games and Board Games we worked on (since we get a copy for free). Which is pretty much every single FFG game and expansions..someday I need to take a picture but we are moving into our new house on the 5th of July and then have a dedicated gaming room for both video and board games :)

Completely random, but something was tickling my leg just now and looked down to see a rather large spider friggin' hairy monster scaling my thigh with energy and gusto. I squealed so loud that both cats took off and Schmootz rather comically careened into the wall. The other cat, after a bit, tracked down the intruder and... ate it. My hero.

Thanks, Simon the cat.
rHCXKqns.jpg

*shudder*

Also, did you see the Gaf documentary? A picture that was briefly shown had you in it looking all sly.

I really, REALLY hate spiders. :( So glad he ate it. Now I can sit on the floor again.

As for the documentary, I did see it! Thought it was actually pretty mild overall. Surprised a pic of my Monocle meet-up got in. I'm bad at smiling. Sly and/or plotting is my default look.

I kind of want to do another meet-up. Maybe a whiskey tasting and cigar thing? Move to LA, Fiction! Join me!

Tash

Completely random, but something was tickling my leg just now and looked down to see a rather large spider friggin' hairy monster scaling my thigh with energy and gusto. I squealed so loud that both cats took off and Schmootz rather comically careened into the wall. The other cat, after a bit, tracked down the intruder and... ate it. My hero.

Thanks, Simon the cat.
rHCXKqns.jpg

Cats are the best :) had do with no cats for a few years due to living in Greece and now moving to Norway but I am planning on having two once we moved into the new house. Can't wait :) I am scanning the local market section for kittens every day :)

Cats are the best :) had do with no cats for a few years due to living in Greece and now moving to Norway but I am planning on having two once we moved into the new house. Can't wait :) I am scanning the local market section for kittens every day :)

Cats are brilliant. Both of mine are rescues (though Simon I'm just fostering right now) and are great company. Hope you're able to find a cat buddy soon after being without one for so long. Then you can join the rest of us nuts in the Post Pictures of Your Cat Thread. :D

Truly the face of a hero there.

I like how his eyes goggle out and are slightly off. He looks unhinged. He does have the IQ of soap dish, as it were.

Wine tasting would be better for a meetup.

There was wine pairing at the last meet-up I did, but only two of us opted for it. :(

I wonder if anyone would show for a wine tasting? I do love wine, but I feel like there might be better turnout for a beer brewery tromp. Not that anyone would come down to the South Bay just for that. (But they should! Torrance is a craft beer mecca right now!)

Kisaya

There was wine pairing at the last meet-up I did, but only two of us opted for it. :(

I wonder if anyone would show for a wine tasting? I do love wine, but I feel like there might be better turnout for a beer brewery tromp. Not that anyone would come down to the South Bay just for that. (But they should! Torrance is a craft beer mecca right now!)

Do it in NYC and I'm there B)

Torrance, really. I need to get out more.

Yeah, beer would draw better crowds but I thought you were asking for ClassyGaf.suggestions.

Torrance (somehow) has been an absolute magnet for brewers. First the Strand Brewing Co. opened up a tap room right by my place, then Monkish dropped their microbrewery right down the way from my workplace, and finally Smog City just dug in right next to the Strand place. It's a beer lover's dream! I may or may not own t-shirts from a few of them...

As for more tastings, be they whiskey, wine or food, I'd love to do more classy-Gaf stuff. It's just rather difficult to get people to commit to reservation/more expensive type stuff, though. Like herding cats. Gaf-cats at that.

Do it in NYC and I'm there B)

Ooooooooooh. Does this mean you're of age now? :D

A.E Suggs

Thanks, Simon the cat.
rHCXKqns.jpg

Ill! That cat is nasty I tell ya, Nasty! =0. On the other hand he's a pretty cool dude ;).

Nudull

Banned

Thanks, Simon the cat.
rHCXKqns.jpg

A brave, adorable hero, that Simon. :)

A.E Suggs

Haha, I remember when I started posting in GirlGAF I was one of the youngest at 18 ^_^; time flies!
But yeah I'm still pretty young :(

Shouldn't be in a rush to get old anyway, I have way too many responsibilities already and I'm not even out of my early 20's.

Top Bottom