• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

suzu

The first games I remember playing were on an Atari system -- Yars Revenge and Haunted House. Someone brought them over when I was very very young. I barely remember them, but I do remember them.

My first game in earnest was Super Mario Brothers / Duck Hunt.

Oh hey, me too.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
First game I ever saw was RE2 on PlayStation. But the first game I ever played was Vigilante 8 on PlayStation. I'll never forget that game. I even had a wheel controller to play it haha

Pau

Anyone want to read an excerpt (seven pages) of my research on player identity and avatar choice? I'm submitting it for publication on July 1 and want it to be as polished as possible. I know there are a few academics here in GirlGAF, as well as some of you who participated in the study! Send me a PM if you want a link.

Anyone want to read an excerpt (seven pages) of my research on player identity and avatar choice? I'm submitting it for publication on July 1 and want it to be as polished as possible. I know there are a few academics here in GirlGAF, as well as some of you who participated in the study! Send me a PM if you want a link.

me me

Leeness

I have a question for all y'all.

What was your first video game and video game console?

Mine was Kirby's Pinball Land and Game Boy. Your Kirby post made me think about it. :3

Furthest back I can remember is SNES games like Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, and Mario Kart. I think those are my earliest gaming memories when I was 7 or 8. I do remember playing the mine cart levels in DKC 1 and 2 with my mom and Toxic Tower in 2 was like my Everest at 8 years old lol.

I had a Gameboy and I played Donkey Kong and Kirby games on there when they came out.

But yeah, early to mid 90s were the beginning of my forever hobby haha. I've had almost all consoles since SNES other than maybe a Dreamcast and Xbox. I did rent a DC at one point though and I remember playing Evolution. I liked that game.

My mom hoped I would grow out of it when I was 13/14/15 and she had to buy games for me >:) I still feel kind of bad hounding my mom for a PS2 when it was like $500 in Canada and she got me one with FFX and like a week later the PS2 had a major price drop lol. Oops. I hid any flyers that came in the mail that had PS2s in them for like a month. Then I got a job when I was 16 and she cared less (though to this day, I get the "why do you waste your money" thing haha).

~History~

Jobbs

Banned
Furthest back I can remember is SNES games like Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, and Mario Kart. I think those are my earliest gaming memories when I was 7 or 8. I do remember playing the mine cart levels in DKC 1 and 2 with my mom and Toxic Tower in 2 was like my Everest at 8 years old lol.

I had a Gameboy and I played Donkey Kong and Kirby games on there when they came out.

But yeah, early to mid 90s were the beginning of my forever hobby haha. I've had almost all consoles since SNES other than maybe a Dreamcast and Xbox. I did rent a DC at one point though and I remember playing Evolution. I liked that game.

My mom hoped I would grow out of it when I was 13/14/15 and she had to buy games for me >:) I still feel kind of bad hounding my mom for a PS2 when it was like $500 in Canada and she got me one with FFX and like a week later the PS2 had a major price drop lol. Oops. I hid any flyers that came in the mail that had PS2s in them for like a month. Then I got a job when I was 16 and she cared less (though to this day, I get the "why do you waste your money" thing haha).

~History~

When I was young my mom also discouraged gaming -- Some of it was along the typical "it'll rot your brains" stuff.

I think evidence has strongly shown the contrary to be the case though. I have two nieces (8 and 11) who have grown up with video games and computers and tablets and everything -- And they're so smart and savvy it's crazy. The younger one in particular is already a total techhead and effortlessly going through school (I had so much trouble in school!). It's crazy.

Nudull

Banned
When I was young my mom also discouraged gaming -- Some of it was along the typical "it'll rot your brains" stuff.

I think evidence has strongly shown the contrary to be the case though. I have two nieces (8 and 11) who have grown up with video games and computers and tablets and everything -- And they're so smart and savvy it's crazy. The younger one in particular is already a total techhead and effortlessly going through school (I had so much trouble in school!). It's crazy.

My parents were convinced that video games were products of the devil, teaching kids to be grade school dropouts and Jesus-hating sociopaths.Just like Harry Potter, Pokemon, metal music...and just about everything that was popular in the 90's/early 2000's.

My earliest gaming memory was me watching my mom play SMB1. I was a babby, and she was on the phone and forgot to pause the game while she was on 8-1. The walking beetle ran into and killed her. I felt like a horrible son for not being able to warn her. :(

My parents didn't discourage gaming, but they did try to scare me into sitting further away from the TV. "If you sit that close, you're going to have to wear glasses like the nerds in school!" I mean, none of us knew better (that it doesn't ruin your eyesight, it just gives you a headache), but it worked.

Leeness

My mom used to play with me on the SNES. ...then I found out she was doing marijuana all the time when I was a kid and was all "why do you think I played games and never cleaned, man?" Lol.

Now she plays Candy Crush and things like cards games and Wheel of Fortune on her tablet haha.

She was never against it, she just wasn't super down dropping $90 a game back in the day before I had a job.

Mine was Kirby's Pinball Land and Game Boy. Your Kirby post made me think about it. :3

I've been playing games since before I can actually remember. My first distinct memory was when my grandma bought me a NES for Christmas, and my dad said we couldn't have two consoles so I had to pick one -- the one we already had with 10 games (SMS I think), or the NES with Super Mario/Duck Hunt.

Went with Mario.

Jobbs

Banned
My mom used to play with me on the SNES. ...then I found out she was doing marijuana all the time when I was a kid and was all "why do you think I played games and never cleaned, man?" Lol.

Now she plays Candy Crush and things like cards games and Wheel of Fortune on her tablet haha.

She was never against it, she just wasn't super down dropping $90 a game back in the day before I had a job.

Oh, I gotcha. Your mom sounds fun. :D

My parents were convinced that video games were products of the devil, teaching kids to be grade school dropouts and Jesus-hating sociopaths.Just like Harry Potter, Pokemon, metal music...and just about everything that was popular in the 90's/early 2000's.

I had a lot of this stuff in grade school. My mom let up when I was a teenager though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I spent my whole first playthrough leaning heavily into faith, which turned out to be nearly useless offensively. Greater Lightning Spear does pitiful damage.

I figured out that a bleed build is probably one of the stronger builds, especially for PVP, but I didn't like the appearance/fashion of the best bleed weapon (the warden dual wielding curved swords) very tacky

So I'm trying an INT character ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oh man I feel you. My faith build took forever to get going. There are ways to make lightning spells very strong but it takes like 50-60 int, ring stacking, and a maxed out talisman and shit. And it takes forever to get good faith-scaling melee weapons and infusions too. So faith sucks ass early on, but shines late-game. A bit frustrating and unbalanced.

Int is good. It also sucks early on but not as much as faith, and takes less time to get solid. Late-game it's a boss-nuking machine. Enjoy.

I know you said PSN, but I have a left over Steam key from a Humble Bundle. If you are interested let me know!
Ah, thanks, but for $2 I think I'm good (assuming you mean Risky's Revenge -- if it's Pirate's Curse I'll take it ;)). Price isn't the problem, time/backlog is. ^^

In our household, the earliest game console was a Sega Master System, via my older brother. I didn't play much on it, just a bit of After Burner and Space Harrier that I can recall. I played more on the Sega Genesis we got later, especially turn-based RPGs like I explain on my post here but that still technically belonged to my other older brother. xD The first console I bought myself with my own cash was a Playstation in mid-1997, with Crash Bandicoot serving as my first game for it.

Edit: oh yeah my first game ever that I recall is Super Mario Bros. on my neighbour's NES when I was really young but I didn't play it that much. Took a few more years, with RPGs and adventure games on the Sega Genesis, for me to get into gaming.

Misha

Banned

Super Mario World, SNES

But I was awful at it. Ended up playing this Barbie game more instead

iirate

Super Mario World and SNES, for Christmas when I was 5. I remember having to beg my mom to stop playing because it would be late and I'd want to go to bed. XD

My much older brother had an NES before then, and his girlfriend had an Atari, but they wouldn't let me play. I had played Super Mario Bros and Mega Man at friend's houses prior to then, too.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
My first game and console was the SNES with Super Mario World. I played that quite a bit till we got Mario All Stars then I was hooked to SMB3 after that. I got a Genesis too and played that quite a bit as well. Got it through the old fashioned "It fell off the back of a truck" type means apparently according to the family.

shiba5

First was an Intellivision with Breakout. My dad always had to have the latest tech thing so I also had an Apple IIe with dual floppy drives (DUAL!) LOL.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds

I had an NES as far back as I can remember. First game I remember playing is Baloon Fight.

First game I ever received as a gift was Bubble Bobble

Pau

The first game I ever played was either Duck Hunt or Super Mario Bros on the NES. I wasn't re'ally allowed to play the latter because my sister said it wasn't for babies, so I mostly stuck to Duck Hunt.

Then we got the original Gameboy with Tetris, Super Mario Land 2, Kirby's Dreamland 2, and Donkey Kong Land 2. The only one I ever beat was Kirby's Dreamland 2, and that was without ever realizing that Kirby could copy enemies' powers. :p

We got a N64 (with Banjo Kazooie) when I was in first grade and my sister still didn't let me play single player games for a bit but I started waking up super early so I could play without her knowing.

She also thought the Pokemon games were dumb so I kept thinking of ways to get Red Version without her knowing or admitting that I wanted it. But once my birthday came around I said fuck it and asked for a Gameboy Pocket and Red Version. (And my mum had to get her a Gameboy Pocket as well with Blue Version. She never even got past the third gym!)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Mario Bros is pretty accessible and fun for people not really skilled and for people looking for some challenging platforming. It not being for "babies" is just silly because anyone can just have fun with it.

Nudull

Banned
Mario Bros is pretty accessible and fun for people not really skilled and for people looking for some challenging platforming. It not being for "babies" is just silly because anyone can just have fun with it.

I dunno, turtles can be pretty scary-looking...

EIYSqDf.jpg

Ceallach

So, for my issues some girlfriends have given me paleotonin and a vagina wand. I have no hope for either of these but hey I'll try

Ooh, I have a wand. I use it every now and then just because it really does do some extreme shit, but apparently some people have adverse reactions (or maybe aren't using it correctly).

Also: GIRLGAF ACADEMICS, dudes, totally message me if there some biz as with Pau's research. I don't check this topic very often but I am ALWAYS 100% HERE FOR COOL RESEARCH. Maybe I should check more often. :x

Ceallach

I researched vagina wand and I still have no idea what is does lol. all I find are like...tightening tools?!

Yeah, I dont really wanna know. Basically my friends are in too camps. FUcking deal with or my homeopathic friends, with this bullshit. So like, basically I'm just holding out until I see my doctor again on Thursday

Top Bottom