• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Global Ops Appreciation Thread

global_ops.jpg

This game took Counter-Strike to the next level, but was never noticed due to poor marketing by EA and BF1942's release shortly afterwards.

Not only did you buy weapons, armor and accessories, but also weapon upgrades. Not hitting your targets with your P90? Slap on a laser sight. Not enough ammo for your chaingun? Attach the super-size ammo holder. Some weapons had multiple ammo/accuary/secondary add-ons in addition to their standard primary/secondary fire modes.

The 6 character classes (Recon, Heavy Gunner, Commando, Medic, Sniper, Demoman) were distinct and the gameplay encouraged the use of all classes (Demoman opens up faster routes to objectives, Recon can place enemies' positions on his teams' radar, etc). Add incredible sound effects for the weapons and great level design and you have a winner. Sad to see this game go ignored yet people still play Dust 2 over and over. :(

Recently I found this for sale, full box and manual in mint condition, for $5 (!!!) at EB. I highly encourage FPS/Counter-Strike fans to get this.

This game was awesome minus a few bugs. I just remember the sight of me and my fully equipped MP5 with suppressor, scope, and extended ammo clips.... it was a beast!!!

element

i am curious what the devs are currently doing, they are currently Rockstar Vancouver. So call me curious.

only other weakness was it used Lithtech for the engine, which didnt have the greatest tools and netcode.

Global Ops is one of my all time favorite PC games. Its a fucking blast. The game still has the best sound effects for gunfire I remember. I'd turn that shit up way high and go deaf. The best part of the sound is when an explosion would go off and you would lose sound/it get muffeled. Other games have done it since, but I think GO was the first and best. Call Of Duty seemed to really take allot of how GO used sound to bring the player into the game.

The amount of weapons in the game is insane. I liked using the semi auto pump shotgun and grenades. Just plain and simple, an ass kicking combo. I'd also use a high caliber handgun. I felt like a virtual badass when I'd empty my machine gun, and then switch to my huge handgun and pump a few rounds out. The game really was better then CS in my book as well.

I'm going to reinstall it, thanks to this thread. Look for Biff Hardbody to be an asswhupping machine later on.

DJ Demon J said:
This game took Counter-Strike to the next level, but was never noticed due to poor marketing by EA and BF1942's release shortly afterwards.

EA was only supposed to distribute it, but ended up doing some PR for it too. As for poor marketing, blame it on the Crave.

Forsete

This game is great.. I played it to death when it came out.
Never liked Counter-Strike but I found this game really fun.

Lots of sweet weapons, good sound.. The only negative thing was that I found it pretty stale.

Top Bottom