• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Outlaws - Kay Vess Appreciation Thread

Humdinger

I don't think it's about trying to appease trans women. I suppose that could be a small factor, but I think the main factor is the same as it's always been. It is feminists' desire to scrub the world of women being portrayed as "beauty or sex objects." It's patriarchal oppression, you know. They don't have a problem with hunky men or with men portrayed as success objects. That's fine. But beautiful or sexy women? Oh no, that's sexist objectification, how dare you. That's the feminist mindset. It's been that way for a long time. We are just seeing it manifest in games lately. Well, we've seen it for a while now, beginning with Anita and her ilk., but now it's becoming more obvious in the character designs.

That's my take on it, anyhow. I don't think it's about trans. I think it's about feminism's desire to rid the world of images they think objectify women. They don't want women portrayed as beauty/sex objects, and they'll take any opportunity they can to undermine it.

Reactions: Isa

Ulysses 31

I don't think it's about trying to appease trans women. I suppose that could be a small factor, but I think the main factor is the same as it's always been. It is feminists' desire to scrub the world of women being portrayed as "beauty or sex objects." It's patriarchal oppression, you know. They don't have a problem with hunky men or with men portrayed as success objects. That's fine. But beautiful or sexy women? Oh no, that's sexist objectification, how dare you. That's the feminist mindset. It's been that way for a long time. We are just seeing it manifest in games lately. Well, we've seen it for a while now, beginning with Anita and her ilk., but now it's becoming more obvious in the character designs.

That's my take on it, anyhow. I don't think it's about trans. I think it's about feminism's desire to rid the world of images they think objectify women. They don't want women portrayed as beauty/sex objects, and they'll take any opportunity they can to undermine it.
It's also the "it sets an unreasonable beauty standard" that they don't like seeing pretty women in their media. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Alebrije

Don't get UBI why hire than woman to do this? They just needed to use an internal developer/worker to create the character.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
GO8QJzn.jpeg
V5aldNN.png

Thabass

I'm 2 hours in and i think she is a grade A dumbass.

In 2 hours she manage to put her dearest friend on the planet at risk (and dude get even shot in the leg) and she ruin a heist because she decide that asking the money with a mexican standoff while the alarm is on and the criminals are arriving was the right thing to do instead of getting clarification later

It's kinda endearing how stupid she is :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Oh yeah, total airhead, but I think that's the point of her. It's one of those untapped potential, inexperienced type of roles, I think. So, far it seems to work and make her likeable in a way or rather relatable. We'll see how it progresses as the story goes farther in tho.

ShadowNate

The thread does offer many good laughs.

How is possible that the face for the same character is inconsistent across the different shots. lmao.

(I do think that at least some of the issues are clearly bugs and will be fixed with an update, although how could they have missed them on their main character, lol)

This thread deserves more than one gold gift. The uglification of women in recent western game releases is shameful.
It really needs to stop. I'm not going to give any more money to companies that do this.

X2 I've never understood why people hate on Aloy's appearance.
She looks worse than the first game, but it's definitely not as bad as some other games. They of course had to make her a lesbian in the DLC.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Oh another thread where someone picks screenshots in odd light conditions. Everyone looks odd if you make a video of her/him and stop at certain points, while they speak.
So far In the reviews I saw nothing that shocked me like in mass effect Andromeda or ac unity.

So far it looked that the general light conditions for her hair in the final game got a bit better. But yes, some reviews outlined that the main character seems to be low detailed outside of "movie" scenes, even on PC with max details.

UBI Dev alert

DaGwaphics

Yeah honestly the idea that "Aloy is ugly" is over exaggerated, in all honesty it's really fine, especially compared to the other two.
c20cd2bdd2be49e29cbf30d7fb9f6490.jpg
3189674c7162a96bb78fce5f9f2d0a50.jpg
07a638b5f28056557be416b465df9f1e.jpg

You could do the same with the Star Wars character here. In promotional shots and where the lighting is hitting in a good way the model itself isn't horrible (though still a bit of a glow down on the human model).

Untitled-1.jpg

Plus you've got little kids turning the settings and resolution down to bare minimums for the meme shots. There is some shakiness in the animations and lighting on this one without a doubt, but it is less glaring than a lot of the shared shots make it out to be with the settings cranked up.

Last edited:

Braag

She isn't even ugly or average looking, she just looks like a skin walker. Like there's something unsettling about her face that my brain is trying to warn me about.

Someone like Abby from TLoU2 isn't a traditionally attractive chick but at least she looks like a human being.

They laughed at us for warning Sarkeesian would ruin female characters in games and sure enough it's gone beyond what anyone could have imagined.

From watered down to legit ugly, I could have lived with 2013-2015 levels maybe but I knew it would never stop there and it would keep going, but I was told that would never happen (it happened)

And always the same bland weakshit personally of "strong" wish fulfillment Mary Sue OC type characters, never allowed to be sexy, never allowed to have to genuinely struggle to achieve something, it's basically the exact same character over and over again, just pure cookie cutter garbage.

You could do the same with the Star Wars character here. In promotional shots and where the lighting is hitting in a good way the model itself isn't horrible (though still a bit of a glow down on the human model).

Untitled-1.jpg

Plus you've got little kids turning the settings and resolution down to bare minimums for the meme shots. There is some shakiness in the animations and lighting on this one without a doubt, but it is less glaring than a lot of the shared shots make it out to be with the settings cranked up.
The "it's the lighting" narrative can stop now. Thanks.

DaGwaphics

The "it's the lighting" narrative can stop now. Thanks.

I mean that's what serious reviewers have pointed out in detailed videos online. You can choose to believe whatever you want.

The game is ugly at low settings on PC and is hardly a looker on console which makes it easier to cherry pick the bad moments, but with everything cranked up the face doesn't animate nearly as bad.

I mean that's what serious reviewers have pointed out in detailed videos online. You can choose to believe whatever you want.

The game is ugly at low settings on PC and is hardly a looker on console which makes it easier to cherry pick the bad moments, but with everything cranked up the face doesn't animate nearly as bad.
The lighting made her teeth crooked.

BlackTron

Why does the Disney diversity filter only affect women? Selective face dysmorphia that is widespread among character artists? Where is this misogyny coming from?

Because women are threatened by hotter women, and like looking at hot men. I could go deeper, but that's pretty much it.

Edit: I felt I should qualify this as not to cast some blanket statement. Obviously all women aren't the same. Look at the reaction to Stellar Blade, plenty of women think the character is cool and even cosplay her. But dysfunctional people who do feel threatened are over represented at studios and the mandate also comes from Sweet Baby, if not the ire of the horde if you don't abide by its rules (thus the backlash to games like Stellar Blade).

It's unbelievably petty, but it comes down to low self esteem of "marginalized" groups who want to level the playing field, and don't want men to have the luxury of looking at a woman hotter than them without having to bother acknowledging that they exist. It's also a bit of a "if we can't have it, you can't" deal.

I know, imagine giving a shit that a woman is playing a game starring an attractive guy. It's the same as giving a shit what her hobbies are. You don't care at all, but you shouldn't have any that takes attention away from her. This is just the extreme toxic manifestation of this shit.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The lighting made her teeth crooked.

Low internal resolution in the shots in the OP broke the resolve of the image, sure. It's not a realistic representation of the character in the game. You could do the same with Jedi Survivor as well, if you push the settings and internal resolution down too far things get ugly real quick.

I'm not saying the character is a supermodel, she isn't. But, on average she doesn't look like a deformed alien.

Last edited:
Low internal resolution in the shots in the OP broke the resolve of the image, sure. It's not a realistic representation of the character in the game. You could do the same with Jedi Survivor as well, if you push the settings and internal resolution down too far things get ugly real quick.
No, her teeth are crooked in high resolution.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Singular7

Ubisoft should have asked China for help:

DrMsEP7.jpeg

Side note -- Asians are the only actual white people. "white people" are more of a pink-tan hue. The girl on the right is basically #FFFFFF

I officially declare a new race called Pinkish-hue Tan People which originate in Europe, which we can now all hate for various reasons.

Last edited:
Screenshot-2024-08-28-165630.png

I don't see it. I definitely don't think the original model here has crooked teeth. Maybe there is a technical issue that does that at some point, I don't know. There are moments when the eyes are uncanny, especially at weaker settings.
We all have eyes. I've watched HD gameplay footage. You can keep trying to gaslight people in here, but nobody is buying it. Thanks.

Bernardougf

Why does Aloy have male-pattern baldness hairline?
put her hair short and throw a beard and its a man with some feminine traces ... I dont think it was their intention though... the actress is close but has a slimmer face with a proportional femine jaw... in my mind they wanted Aloy to look stronger and project this in her face since her body is mostly covered and is not muscular... so a stronger jawline makes sense .. they kept most of the original actress mid to upper face.. so I really dont think they were trying to uglify or make her more male. .. why make her face chubby in the second game is a mystery though.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
put her hair short and throw a beard and its a man with some feminine traces ... I dont think it was their intention though... the actress is close but has a slimmer face with a proportional femine jaw... in my mind they wanted Aloy to look stronger and project this in her face since her body is mostly covered and is not muscular... so a stronger jawline makes sense .. they kept most of the original actress mid to upper face.. so I really dont think they were trying to uglify or make her more male. .. why make her face chubby in the second game is a mystery though.

9bDxGYL.jpeg

They knew exactly what they were doing. It's up to you if you want to ignore it or not.

DaGwaphics

Yes, I'll keep using my eyes. Thanks. Denying reality doesn't make it go away. We literally have an entire thread dedicated to this, and your best response is, "Nuh uh!"

I showed you a shot of the CGI model (presumably the highest quality version of this model that exists) with an open mouth and no sign of crooked teeth. Hey, if you think they made a second snaggletooth model for shits and giggles, be my guest. It's much more likely that when you turn things down to the lowest settings the model doesn't hold and things start to look weird. But, believe what you want, surely. We've been down the same road with Last of Us on PC. There is a difference between the artistic intent (everything maxed to highest level of detail) and running with compromised settings, that's all I'm saying. The op images here are not indicative of the artistic intent for this character.

Also, for future reference, don't use the existence of inane debate on the internet as proof of anything. If anything can be said, it probably has been said somewhere online and means nothing on its own.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
It really needs to stop. I'm not going to give any more money to companies that do this.

She looks worse than the first game, but it's definitely not as bad as some other games. They of course had to make her a lesbian in the DLC.
That's where I'm at. They haven't gotten a dime from me for more than a year now and going strong sadly. If they make something I want to buy then I'd gladly support them but until then my money goes to mainly Asian developers. Some western indie stuff too but that's because they don't skimp on the goods.

My girlfriend won't even look at a game with ugly characters lol. She hay que feo or huffs her way out of the room hurling insults when I show her stuff like this. Its always, "pero porqueeeee?". Same thing with architecture and "modern art" money laundering haha she can't stand it nor can I.

Top Bottom