• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Outlaws - Kay Vess Appreciation Thread

Allandor

UBI Dev alert
So everyone who doesn't share your view is automatically lying?
Please check up your world view., this isn't healthy. Try to accept that other people have other opinions.

I don't need a character that is somehow a super model design in a game. The character design should just not be distracting and fit into the games world.

And no, I'm not an Ubi soft or game developer. Just an ordinary developer for business applications.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Making-of-Experiment-626-Stitch-Tutorial-by-Boris-Kiselicki-1.jpg

Same eyes, same rolled up nose, they're perfect for each other!
In the game she can get pregnant and have kids

bvcj3iuc.jpg

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It is pretty creepy that they are altering the appearance of female protagonists like this.

It is kind of like they are manipulating your thoughts. Making you ok with it. Conditioning you.

Wait until you find out about Photoshop that's been used for decades and Airbrushing that was used for decades before that.

The Simpsons Photoshop GIF

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So everyone who doesn't share your view is automatically lying?
Please check up your world view., this isn't healthy. Try to accept that other people have other opinions.

I don't need a character that is somehow a super model design in a game. The character design should just not be distracting and fit into the games world.

And no, I'm not an Ubi soft or game developer. Just an ordinary developer for business applications.

Ah, yes....the old standby by that were complaining because we want supermodels in our games. No we don't. We want characters that are true to their models, and aren't purposely made to be an ugly sack of potatoes to suit a political and woke agenda. I don't want the women in games i play to look like they have a massive dick and male faces like they are in the middle of transitioning.

I also didn't ask or care what your profession is, brave warrior.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
That’s an awful example. Airbrushing is improving someone’s appearance. With this game, they made her look much worse.

It's a perfectly fine example. It's about conditioning, how creepy it was to alter someone's appearance, which the original poster was claiming this was. The reality is that we have ludicrously skewed beauty standards. Even the most attractive people in the world can't look like they do in photographs, films or video games, because for decades those images have been subject to manipulation. The only difference is that this time people don't find the result appealing.

It's a weird thing to get upset about on the basis of principal when you've never been bothered about the same principal before.

Last edited:
It's a perfectly fine example. It's about conditioning, which the original poster was claiming this was. The reality is that we have ludicrously skewed beauty standards. Even the most attractive people in the world can't look like they do in photographs, films or video games.
They hired an actress to model the character from and then made her look objectively worse and unrecognizable. Meanwhile, male characters look exactly the same. Beautiful women exist, as is the case for the model used for this game. Uglifying them doesn’t solve the beauty standard problem. It’s creating a new problem in the opposite direction. Do I agree with you that there is, in fact, a beauty standard problem? Yes, and airbrushing and Instagram filters and a million other things are certainly an issue that distorts reality. There are also apps that do this for recorded video in real time now.

I think the face scanning technology still isn't all there yet, take a look at this comparison between the actress and in game image of her in Wukong, yes the in game image is attractive and looks like her, but the real person is much more attractive in comparison.

So I think the process of capturing a face through scanning probably requires a series of post scanning touch ups by a graphic artist, and that's probably where Outlaws (or past efforts such as Mass Effect Andromeda) failed. Either then person doing the touch up to improve the scanned results either didn't do much, or was told to not touch it up in ways to service the "male gaze".

rov2D7C.png

They hired an actress to model the character from and then made her look objectively worse and unrecognizable. Meanwhile, male characters look exactly the same. Beautiful women exist, as is the case for the model used for this game. Uglifying them doesn’t solve the beauty standard problem. It’s creating a new problem in the opposite direction. Do I agree with you that there is, in fact, a beauty standard problem? Yes, and airbrushing and Instagram filters and a million other things are certainly an issue that distorts reality. There are also apps that do this for recorded video in real time now.
To add on top of this, when people talk about how there's a beauty standard problem, it's usually in the context of how such standards are imposed on real women. When it comes to video game characters, it a whole different story since they are obviously, fictional. It's why whenever the disingenuous try to connect attractive female characters to "unrealistic" beauty standards, it falls flat.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think the face scanning technology still isn't all there yet, take a look at this comparison between the actress and in game image of her in Wukong, yes the in game image is attractive and looks like her, but the real person is much more attractive in comparison.

So I think the process of capturing a face through scanning probably requires a series of post scanning touch ups by a graphic artist, and that's probably where Outlaws (or past efforts such as Mass Effect Andromeda) failed. Either then person doing the touch up to improve the scanned results either didn't do much, or was told to not touch it up in ways to service the "male gaze".

rov2D7C.png
Nah, the face rendering is definitely good enough now, look at all the male models, they look as good if not better than the real actor.

This was ellen page on a ps3 game dude

200.webp

I don't even need to post ps4 games tbh, what do you see in wukong is artists taking some liberties to make the women look more ethereal\ghostly\not human or some shit, they don't try to uglify them on purpose, they still look like women, not lab experiments.

Last edited:

amc

While we have Alex here in a dress and thus questions arise, his accent. He's German right, but is he German as in John who's an American ex-pat or is he German, German?

He obviously pushes for an American accent but it seems off, like forced. So is he a German who uses a media forced accent or an actual Yank? There seems to be a few DF presenters who do the same too.

No hate btw, just wondering.

Someone pointed out that her nose is broken, and it finally clicked for me:

The reason Kay looks so different from the beautiful actress is because she's been getting punched in the face her entire life so her facial structure has been reconfigured.

10/10 lore

To add on top of this, when people talk about how there's a beauty standard problem, it's usually in the context of how such standards are imposed on real women. When it comes to video game characters, it a whole different story since they are obviously, fictional. It's why whenever the disingenuous try to connect attractive female characters to "unrealistic" beauty standards, it falls flat.

And it's funny how they don't apply that "unrealistic beauty standards" to men

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Nah, the face rendering is definitely good enough now, look at all the male models, they look as good if not better than the real actor.

This was ellen page on a ps3 game dude

200.webp

I don't even need to post ps4 games tbh, what do you see in wukong is artists taking some liberties to make the women look more ethereal\ghostly\not human or some shit, they don't try to uglify them on purpose, they still look like women, not lab experiments.

Elliot Page!

Dead naming, a new low.

nUDGAyC.gif

/s

Last edited:

Filben

I don't know why they hire a beautiful actress in the first place if they don't "believe" in this kind of beauty and start changing her chin and cheek to these extremes.

Nydius

Having now completed the game and done a huge chunk of the side missions just to get my money's worth, I'm reminded of Mass Effect Andromeda where the engine played a factor in character models. There's no doubt they intentionally made Kay less attractive compared to her real world model but as I played through the game I began to realize that, like ME:A, all of the human characters facial models are just... off. They all look like putty molded over a skull. I loaded up Avatar Frontiers of Pandora and walked around the human resistance settlement and realized they looked almost identical to the human models in Outlaws, it was just less noticeable because most of the time in that game is spent hanging out with Na'vi, not humans (plus your point of view is so much higher than the humans you're often looking over, not at, them).

I don't know what happened with the Snowdrop engine after The Division 2 (I do know they said they were upgrading it for next gen beginning with Avatar) but I'm starting to think that the Snowdrop engine plays a major role in this.

Having now completed the game and done a huge chunk of the side missions just to get my money's worth, I'm reminded of Mass Effect Andromeda where the engine played a factor in character models. There's no doubt they intentionally made Kay less attractive compared to her real world model but as I played through the game I began to realize that, like ME:A, all of the human characters facial models are just... off. They all look like putty molded over a skull. I loaded up Avatar Frontiers of Pandora and walked around the human resistance settlement and realized they looked almost identical to the human models in Outlaws, it was just less noticeable because most of the time in that game is spent hanging out with Na'vi, not humans (plus your point of view is so much higher than the humans you're often looking over, not at, them).

I don't know what happened with the Snowdrop engine after The Division 2 (I do know they said they were upgrading it for next gen beginning with Avatar) but I'm starting to think that the Snowdrop engine plays a major role in this.
The game engine didn't make her teeth and nose crooked. It didn't give her a butt chin and different facial structure. It also didn't give her skin that natural, beautiful glow that can only come from heavy methamphetamine use.

Nydius

The game engine didn't make her teeth and nose crooked. It didn't give her a butt chin and different facial structure. It also didn't give her skin that natural, beautiful glow that can only come from heavy methamphetamine use.

I guess you completely missed the part in that post where I said "there's no doubt they intentionally made Kay less attractive". At no point is my post defending the game, I'm pointing out that, just like ME:A, the engine is likely a major cause for the reason the characters all look like they have Downs Syndrome.

But keep grinding your axe if it makes you feel better.

I guess you completely missed the part in that post where I said "there's no doubt they intentionally made Kay less attractive". At no point is my post defending the game, I'm pointing out that, just like ME:A, the engine is likely a major cause for the reason the characters all look like they have Downs Syndrome.

But keep grinding your axe if it makes you feel better.
Making fun of Down Syndrome isn't funny.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ubisoft has honored the beautiful and talented actress Humberly González by recreating her perfectly in its latest AAA release, Star Wars: Outlaws, as the protagonist Kay Vess.

Hcdc38m.jpeg

Now that the game is finally releasing, we have even more media to appreciate Kay's immaculately sculpted and rendered look.

sKkyN3g.jpeg

UkVGiXc.jpeg

DfNyITS.jpeg

Ivvkkjq.jpeg

Post your best Kay Vess screenshots here!
What fuck is going on with the bridge of her nose she looks like shes had a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson

rWxC8ht.jpeg

She has a low, small bridge and thin nostrils and no upturn
Face is heart shaped with a medium point chin
As a portrait artist, just no!
every is wrong

Ubisoft should have asked China for help:

DrMsEP7.jpeg
They do this intentionally over and over again. It’s not coincidence that they seemingly never have this face scan discrepancy or issue with the male characters. What I wonder is why hire beautiful, attractive models when you are just going to tone them some or even uglify them in the final result? Are they trying to make a statement or something?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Grabbed from Frans Bouma's twitter account. This is the ingame model plus IGCS DOF, RTGI AO, ReLight screenspace lights, Reshade.

CQnsDJM.jpeg

Top Bottom