• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Kratos character is fine. The mythology is what is getting worn out. It could easily work in a different mythology. Just throw kratos in to egypt or the norse 9 realms and let him fight his way through them.

Sidzed2

I would be there for a new hero with a new mythology. How about a female warrior with an axe to grind against Odin? Imagine taking on Thor and stealing Mjolnir, or a battle against the Midgard serpent, or a fight against a shape shifting Loki.

With the launch of the PS4, it's the perfect time to introduce something new under the same brand. I love Kratos, but he's been explored fully now (and then some).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Playable cutscene sure does sound like a contradiction...
Anyhow developer controlled camera always does produce cinematic camera angle opportunities.

It's a scene where you have "control" but it's extremely limited (e.g., you can only move in one direction no matter what you press), and the camera angle is cinematic. Happened a lot in Uncharted 3, happens in Tomb Raider, happens in the GOWA demo. It's essentially a cutscene of the character moving in a straight line but somehow devs got the idea that it's totally better if you push a stick.

At first glance I assumed it was a scene where you push forward on the stick and it's basically a playable cutscene, but maybe it's a cinematic. Definitely looks real-time, in any case.

Yea, you can walk forward and stop in that scene. There are a lot of those... none are too long though.

nib95

Banned
Egyptian Mythos next please!

Anubis_by_GENZOMAN.jpg

Egyptian-sun-god-Ra-myth-legend.jpg

anubis_by_ovopack.jpg

untitled.jpg

EgyptianQueen_cropped_1000.jpg

Anubis_by_Tyrus88.jpg

IERDMMTJFVTW4KZJAYQU5TGQ6H4ZCGVQ.preview.jpeg

WAR_concept_mar09-02.jpg

rc_tf2_egypt_quarry_3.jpg

580_max.jpg

940x479.jpeg

gallows-01-courtyard-o-540x338.jpg

Could you guys kindly stop posting all these great pictures and getting me hyped since it'll never happen and we're stuck with Kratos forever.

Not that an Egyptian-themed GoW wouldn't be awesome, but this isn't a franchise with interchangeable themes. It's strictly based on Greek mythology.

ascii42

Finally beat Chains of Olympus. Now I have to decide if I want to try to beat Ghost of Sparta before playing Ascension.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's a scene where you have "control" but it's extremely limited (e.g., you can only move in one direction no matter what you press), and the camera angle is cinematic. Happened a lot in Uncharted 3, happens in Tomb Raider, happens in the GOWA demo. It's essentially a cutscene of the character moving in a straight line but somehow devs got the idea that it's totally better if you push a stick.
I don't remember anything exactly like that either in UC3 or in GOWA demo? In the instances where I can think of something similar in those two games, you can still move in any direction, but you're limited by the space you are in as to where you can actually go. I am pretty sure there are games that have scenes that are just like what you describe, but can't think an example now (where you can just go forward and stop, if you stop pushing), probably Heavy Rain.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm in favor of Norse mythology. We haven't had that many games use it as material, and a GoW game would be pretty damn awesome.

Mikey Jr.

I feel like gow needs a major shakeup. Theres a general malaise about this game. I mean, look at this thread. It kinda just exists.

Not sure what this shakeup is. Probably big one is Greek mythology. There is no more blood in this rock after 6 games. Like others have said, explore Norse or Egyptian. Probably some amazing shit in there.

Second is probably gameplay. The game as played essentially the same for the past games. Not sure what needs to be done here. Maybe be more technical like a Bayonetta?

Still buying the game day 1 though.

zoukka

I feel like gow needs a major shakeup. Theres a general malaise about this game. I mean, look at this thread. It kinda just exists.

Not sure what this shakeup is. Probably big one is Greek mythology. There is no more blood in this rock after 6 games. Like others have said, explore Norse or Egyptian. Probably some amazing shit in there.

Second is probably gameplay. The game as played essentially the same for the past games. Not sure what needs to be done here. Maybe be more technical like a Bayonetta?

Still buying the game day 1 though.

Easiest move is just to let SSM on a new IP. It'll be most likely a 3rd person action game, because that's their expertise.

Then again if the sales potential is there, I doubt Sony will allow them to change course too much. I for one can't see "Kratos kills other religions/mythoses" working at all. It would be silly.

The Lamp

Kratos character is fine. The mythology is what is getting worn out. It could easily work in a different mythology. Just throw kratos in to egypt or the norse 9 realms and let him fight his way through them.

You don't just destroy an entire series setting like that. They should make a new IP, because just pretending a new mythology exists and replaces the old one is stupid and bad writing.

Mikey Jr.

Easiest move is just to let SSM on a new IP. It'll be most likely a 3rd person action game, because that's their expertise.

Then again if the sales potential is there, I doubt Sony will allow them to change course too much. I for one can't see "Kratos kills other religions/mythoses" working at all. It would be silly.

Hmm, what about if its an entirely new character but still called gow?

We'll see how this game sells. Hopefully it does ok because I love SSM.

You don't just destroy an entire series setting like that. They should make a new IP, because just pretending a new mythology exists and replaces the old one is stupid and bad writing.

Does anyone really give a shit about these stories? Just say Egyptian Gods rue Egypt. I dont think many people will mind.

Putting Keatos in a new mythology would be stupid, it just wouldn't make any sense.
Take one of the mythologys suggested in this thread, create a new protagonist and just call it god of war, the PS4 is the perfect opportunity for a fresh start.
This thread proves that there are many possibilities that are way more exciting than anything greek mythology has to offer at this point.

Let's enjoy this hopefully final chapter in kratos' story and hope SSM decide to step out of their comfort zone for the next one.

Mikey Jr.

Putting Keatos in a new mythology would be stupid, it just wouldn't make any sense.
Take one of the mythologys suggested in this thread, create a new protagonist and just call it god of war, the PS4 is the perfect opportunity for a fresh start.
This thread proves that there are many possibilities that are way more exciting than anything greek mythology has to offer at this point.

Let's enjoy this hopefully final chapter in kratos' story and hope SSM decide to step out of their comfort zone for the next one.

Kratos brother?

zoukka

Kratos brother?

Come on, you know how silly that sounds. Kratos as a character has already been stretched too thin. His tale has been told. You can see people already getting tired of him/questioning the need for this game let alone more prequels/sequels.

Then again it's one of Sonys most iconic characters at this point. Though they didn't hesitate killing characters like Crash either...

But yeah I want SSM to try something new. I bet it would be liberating to them as well, not needing to 1up GoW3 with every new game.

Usually when a new gow is released people are always raving about those epic standout moments, please tell me ascension has a at least a couple worthy of being in a top 10 gow moments list.

Jacob4815

Usually when a new gow is released people are always raving about those epic standout moments, please tell me ascension has a at least a couple worthy of being in a top 10 gow moments list.

Yes, at least two: beginning and end.
But they showed them already in the previous trailers.

There aren't any other "massive" boss battles in the middle of the game..

The answer to your question is yes, anyway I think this is a great letdown comparing to GOW3 and GOW2.

Looking at the whole kratos or no kratos thing, it's amazing how the japanese gave us a solution to this problem. specifically metal gear solid 2 and devil may cry 4.

In both these instances we controlled two different protagonists raiden and nero.

So it was awesome when you meet the real solid snake and dante face to face. It gave you a different perspective to them.

If SSM ever decide to use kratos after the events of god of war 4 it would be awesome facing him and looking at him from a different perepective rather than controlling him as a player

zoukka

Looking at the whole kratos or no kratos thing, it's amazing how the japanese gave us a solution to this problem. specifically metal gear solid 2 and devil may cry 4.

In both these instances we controlled two different protagonists raiden and nero.

So it was awesome when you meet the real solid snake and dante face to face. It gave you a different perspective to them.

If SSM ever decide to use kratos after the events of god of war 4 it would be awesome facing him and looking at him from a different perepective rather than controlling him as a player

That's one way to bridge the cap between games yeah. The new game could be set forward in time and the gods of old would've been already forgotten. Maybe you get your powers from Kratos the god of war :b

Torraz

Doesn't seem like it, which leads me to think I'm going to watch the entire playthrough... perhaps...

Thanks! My internet is pretty slow atm, so I did not want to wait for the time it takes to open several of the videos, clicking around and the buffering associated with that.

Looks like I will have to watch it, too... Might make waiting or a price drop easier.

I have to say this whole Last of Us demo issue is a skeezy move by sony to drive pre-orders. Announcing at this last minute that the demo you advertised being available will not be available just doesn't sit well. I actually wouldn't have played it anyway - I want to go into last of us blind - but it leaves a bad taste in the consumer's mouth.

Here's a video of that "Bros before Hos" trophy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgjdeX9ejs (trophy appears during the end of the video)

Adam Sessler originally raised the issue with the trophy name in his review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjIpPUE8epA

Sessler really oversold that in terms of how violent it is. I was expecting something along the lines of the Hercules fight. What I got was basically a standard GoW enemy kill but in cutscene form. I don't know how a GoW fan could consider that one of the most violent things that they've ever seen in a game. It's unbelievably tame by GoW standards.

jett

D-Member
Here's a video of that "Bros before Hos" trophy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgjdeX9ejs (trophy appears during the end of the video)

Adam Sessler originally raised the issue with the trophy name in his review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjIpPUE8epA

Sessler really oversold that in terms of how violent it is. I was expecting something along the lines of the Hercules fight. What I got was basically a standard GoW enemy kill but in cutscene form. I don't know how a GoW fan could consider that one of the most violent things that they've ever seen in a game. It's unbelievably tame by GoW standards.

Oh wow that's it? :lol Sessler's and Gies's reaction has now become laughably retarded. Agreed 100% with SSX. That was...fairly lame.

Celestial

Banned
I am a God of War fan but i must admit all that negativity prevents me to buy the game day 1.Instead of discussing the future of the franchise can we start posting impressions of the game in order to have a more clear picture?

Vire

can we get a thread discussing the future of GOW. This thread is about GOW:A and all this negative energy is not welcomed.

I am a God of War fan but i must admit all that negativity prevents me to buy the game day 1.Instead of discussing the future of the franchise can we start posting impressions of the game in order to have a more clear picture?

Sony PR to the rescue?

I don't really see much negativity, just discussion on where the franchise should head next. Considering the game isn't out yet, it's kinda hard to give impressions.

Although I have been watching that walkthrough on Youtube and it seems like the amount of bosses is really small in comparison to God of War 2/3, which is super disappointing.

Seems like every boss encounter was in the launch trailer :/...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJMK8oFY1rA

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
can we get a thread discussing the future of GOW. This thread is about GOW:A and all this negative energy is not welcomed.

1) How is discussing the future of the series inherently negative?

2) Once everyone is playing it there's going to be plenty more critical discussion, and I don't see where you'd put that discussion other than the Official Thread.

Top Bottom