• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

can we get a thread discussing the future of GOW. This thread is about GOW:A and all this negative energy is not welcomed.

I am a God of War fan but i must admit all that negativity prevents me to buy the game day 1.Instead of discussing the future of the franchise can we start posting impressions of the game in order to have a more clear picture?

I'd have to agree with Vire, the question of the future of the franchise has been raised with every reviewer consistently thus far. I think it's fair to be on people minds. The fact of the matter is the negativity is sort of part of this release as well. This is the lowest scoring GOW game by a long shot, and a lot of it seems to be franchise/mechanic burnout.

Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked as hell - im day one-ing it, and i dont do that very much anymore. But instead of trying to censor the discussion (especially as a junior member), why not try adding to it or making a compelling argument to redirect it?

Radec

njean777

You don't just destroy an entire series setting like that. They should make a new IP, because just pretending a new mythology exists and replaces the old one is stupid and bad writing.

Well I dont remember if any of the gods are left alive, but you could always have one of them just zap Kratos back in time.

Sid

Quite true,there isn't much negativity as much as there is genuine curiosity as to where the franchise will head next, since GoW III came out in March 2010 we'll probably have to wait till 2016 to know what happened to Kratos at the end of GoW III.

PS seems like the exact same thing is happening in the Gears Judgment thread. That's what happens when you're late into a franchise, especially when this is the fourth release in the gen (if you count the psp god of wars... Which you should)

1) How is discussing the future of the series inherently negative?

2) Once everyone is playing it there's going to be plenty more critical discussion, and I don't see where you'd put that discussion other than the Official Thread.

because for starters most of the people here haven't even played the game yet. I don't have a problem talking critically about the game itself, but the majority of this thread is about "oh I wasn't excited about this GOW because it was a prequel and didn't have a build up, so it's gonna suck. Can we get a new character/mythology?) etc etc etc.

Take that shit into another thread. I've enjoyed all the GOW games thus far, and this one is looking great as well. I'm sorry if the opening of these games is what decides if it's good/bad but ya, take that shit into another thread. This is the OT for GOW:A. There's a whole story that needs to be shown(otherwise people wouldn't be using spoiler tags), gameplay tweaks and additions etc to keep this game fresh. PS4 is right around the corner, maybe they'll make a new IP then.

PS seems like the exact same thing is happening in the Gears Judgment thread. That's what happens when you're late into a franchise, especially when this is the fourth release in the gen (if you count the psp god of wars... Which you should)

Two god of war games vs 4 gears of wars in a single gen...and no the psp ones dont count

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Here's a video of that "Bros before Hos" trophy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgjdeX9ejs (trophy appears during the end of the video)

Adam Sessler originally raised the issue with the trophy name in his review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjIpPUE8epA

Hah, that is what this was about, jesus, way to oversell on how bad it was; by GoW standards that "death" was nothing and it didn't really even have anything to do with killing a woman beforehand either like some people were suggesting.

After seeing what actually happens and the flak it got from Sessler and Gies, they both just look rather silly complaining so much about it now.

nib95

Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgjdeX9ejs (trophy appears during the end of the video)

Adam Sessler originally raised the issue with the trophy name in his review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjIpPUE8epA

OMG....even I take back all that I said now. In context, the trophy, whilst a little bit immature, does make sense. Since he's getting aid from the guy over the sisters. It's not nearly as bad as I expected. The Furie in question doesn't even die...

The real issue is that the bgm completely fades out during the cutscene. That was awkward to watch.

Agreed. This is the bigger issue lol.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Well I dont remember if any of the gods are left alive, but you could always have one of them just zap Kratos back in time.

That's just as lazy as suddenly adding another pantheon to Kratos' universe. Kratos was a good character in the context of his own story, which started as a pretty standard tragedy, which is inherently compelling. His story is used up.

They can insert him into other adventures, but it won't have the same gravity as his original trilogy. Reviewers are feeling that with this game, and it will be felt in future games if the series just becomes "the many adventures of Kratos."

He doesn't have the charm or depth to sustain that kind of treatment. He was good as a simple but well-realized character whose tragic flaws caused his own ruin, and eventually the ruin of the world. Other than him being "totally badass" I don't know why I'd want to accompany him on other adventures now that he's conclusively
had his revenge, destroyed the world, and possibly died.
<- GOW3 ending spoiler

OMG....even I take back all that I said now. In context, the trophy, whilst a little bit immature, does make sense. Since he's getting aid from the guy over the sisters. It's not nearly as bad as I expected. The Furie in question doesn't even die...

I'm not going to watch this video, but it sounds like I may have wasted a lot of time explaining why it was offensive, putting too much faith in Sessler (never took Gies' gender politics seriously to begin with) and second hand accounts of the scenario.

Thank you dear sir!

You're welcome. I don't have the game yet but that's the answer I got from Tank when I asked the same question.

Thanks for the reply Jacob, I'm not quoting you to avoid spoilers. Could you elaborate on why you were disappointed?

Saying that speculation about the future is negativity is silly but it would be great if the people that already own the game could elaborate a bit more on their thoughts. Thanks in advance.

nib95

Banned
I'm not going to watch this video, but it sounds like I may have wasted a lot of time explaining why it was offensive, putting too much faith in Sessler (never took Gies' gender politics seriously to begin with).

Yea, I feel the same way. And I made several posts defending Sessler on this one. I have huge respect for the guy, and he is one of my fave journalists, but on this one I'm going to have to disagree after seeing the actual evidence. Do I still think the trophy is slightly immature? Sure. But I don't think it's related to the violence so much as it's trying to say "See, in the end it's the guy who's come to your aid, not these women who were about to destroy you", only in a silly, light hearted and comical way.

Wow. I didn't have a problem with Sessler calling it out as he described it (though I thought it was unfair to condemn SSM as a studio) but this is ridiculous. It looks like he didn't even get the context, lol.

Gies' description isn't even worth getting into. I expected something (GOW 3 spoilers)
worse than Hercules' death...with, you know...an actual death

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
because for starters most of the people here haven't even played the game yet. I don't have a problem talking critically about the game itself, but the majority of this thread is about "oh I wasn't excited about this GOW because it was a prequel and didn't have a build up, so it's gonna suck. Can we get a new character/mythology?) etc etc etc.

Take that shit into another thread. I've enjoyed all the GOW games thus far, and this one is looking great as well. I'm sorry if the opening of these games is what decides if it's good/bad but ya, take that shit into another thread. This is the OT for GOW:A. There's a whole story that needs to be shown(otherwise people wouldn't be using spoiler tags), gameplay tweaks and additions etc to keep this game fresh. PS4 is right around the corner, maybe they'll make a new IP then.

If you have a problem with how OTs work, take it up with the mods. People are discussing it without having played it because OTs go up well before release. If you cannot handle what people are saying, the solution is to stop reading it, not demand discussion be segregated into stuff you want to hear and stuff you don't.

I'm not happy about how the game isn't blowing people away, but I'm a big fan and I'm going to play it for myself and find out. Then I'm going to talk about how I felt and it's going to be critical. Until then I'm going to accept the fact people like to talk about games they haven't played yet.

LastNac

It's a scene where you have "control" but it's extremely limited (e.g., you can only move in one direction no matter what you press), and the camera angle is cinematic. Happened a lot in Uncharted 3, happens in Tomb Raider, happens in the GOWA demo. It's essentially a cutscene of the character moving in a straight line but somehow devs got the idea that it's totally better if you push a stick.
Terminology still seems outdated in reference to these moments. Also, ill never fault devs who want to still keep me a participant. The moment I can put the controller down and events still playout is the moment I cease being a participant and become an observer.

njean777

After watching that trophy, I really question the internet sometimes. That was not sexist or overly offensive in any way at all. A powerful woman is trying to kill you, and you just expect him to sit there and not hit her back? I am sorry, but in real life, if a woman was coming after me and trying to hit me or kill me I would hit back in that situation. If you cannot take it, do not dish it out.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Terminology still seems outdated in reference to these moments. Also, ill never fault devs who want to still keep me a participant. The moment I can put the controller down and events still playout is the moment I cease being a participant and become an observer.

There's nothing meaningful about pushing a stick in one direction with no other choices or obstacles. It's pseudo-interactivity and should not satisfy our desire to be in control and interacting with our games.

I just used the word "cutscene" as shorthand and then gave examples, I'm sure there's a specific term but I couldn't think of it.

After watching that trophy, I really question the internet sometimes. That was not sexist or overly offensive in any way at all. A powerful woman is trying to kill you, and you just expect him to sit there and not hit her back? I am sorry, but in real life, if a woman was coming after me and trying to hit me or kill me I would hit back in that situation. If you cannot take it, do not dish it out.

That's not even what the trophy was for.
It was for the other dude's act, not Kratos', who was actually in the process of being pinned down and clowned by 3 women, lol.

Smh.

jett

D-Member
Watched the entire walkthrough on youtube(while skipping around a lot), just to check out the "epic" moments and such. Definitely a step below GOW3 in that regard, and the story is silly and superflous.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Watched the entire walkthrough on youtube(while skipping around a lot), just to check out the "epic" moments and such. Definitely a step below GOW3 in that regard, and the story is silly and superflous.

After having done that are you still going to play the game and then talk about how boring and unsurprising it was, as though it was your first impression from personal experience?

I'm not trying to say you can't talk about it, but watching the game first will change your experience of the game, presumably for the worse. It makes your opinion less generalizable than the opinions of others who are experiencing it for the first time.

LastNac

There's nothing meaningful about pushing a stick in one direction with no other choices or obstacles. It's pseudo-interactivity and should not satisfy our desire to be in control and interacting with our games.
I just used the word "cutscene" as shorthand and then gave examples, I'm sure there's a specific term but I couldn't think of it.
I for one am completely satisfied with these moments in my more cinematic experiences.
You realize cutscene is essentially a mini movie, I.e, another medium entirely. I for one would like still like to keep it in this medium. I would rather have these moments than have control wrenched away from me to a cutscene. Like I said, our terminology needs to change, Game is not as universally appropriate or descriptive anymore.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I for one am completely satisfied with these moments in my more cinematic experiences.
You realize cutscene is essentially a mini movie, I.e, another medium entirely. I for one would like still like to keep it in this medium. I would rather have these moments than have control wrenched away from me to a cutscene. Like I said, our terminology needs to change, Game is not as universally appropriate or descriptive anymore.

You can skip a cutscene. These sequences are nothing but an impediment on further playthroughs. If you only play games once for the cinematic experience, then this criticism is of course irrelevant.

I don't think I'll be buying the game, that's why I watched the videos in the first place, heh.

Fair enough.

jett

D-Member
After having done that are you still going to play the game and then talk about how boring and unsurprising it was, as though it was your first impression from personal experience?

I'm not trying to say you can't talk about it, but watching the game first will change your experience of the game, presumably for the worse. It makes your opinion less generalizable than the opinions of others who are experiencing it for the first time.

I don't think I'll be buying the game, that's why I watched the videos in the first place, heh.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Now that I have actually seen the Bros before Hos trophy video, Sessler's comments now just make him look like a dumbass. It is obvious to me that the context of the trophy was because Kratos was saved by a dude from a bunch of women, hence Bros before Hos.

meta4

Watched the entire game. This is def super puzzle focused compared to GOW3. It also has a much much better combat system. The story is dumb and the boss fights are very very bad and in my opinion is easily the worst of the series.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Watched the entire game. This is def super puzzle focused compared to GOW3. It also has a much much better combat system. The story is dumb and the boss fights are very very bad and in my opinion is easily the worst of the series.

Yup so true. sigh..

Now that I have actually seen the Bros before Hos trophy video, Sessler's comments now just make him look like a dumbass. It is obvious to me that the context of the trophy was because Kratos was saved by a dude from a bunch of women, hence Bros before Hos.

Yeah. When I first watched Sessler's rant I was thinking this was something crazy violent and the trophy name did seem crass. Then I watched that video and laughed.

The last thing I want in a God of War game is more puzzles. :/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Posts like this are a lot like spoilers, yet people have no compunction about posting them.

I'd like it if people would refrain from summarizing the contents of the game in this way, and rendering judgment based on youtube.
Agreed. It's really frustrating for people like me that have been on pretty strict blackouts. People were saying vague stuff like that about the final bosses in the DmC and MGR threads before the game was even out. So annoying.

Derrick01

Banned
Posts like this are a lot like spoilers, yet people have no compunction about posting them.

I'd like it if people would refrain from summarizing the contents of the game in this way, and rendering judgment based on youtube.

How the hell is that a spoiler? Some of you are too damn sensitive.

Also :lol at "rendering judgement based on youtube". Like the game changes at all once you play it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I took it back. It could be seen as no more information than a review. I'm not some kind of media blackout zealot.

I'll admit it bothers me that people are judging it by watching it and not playing it, but that's not necessarily rational, or at least not something I feel like arguing about.

Also :lol at "rendering judgement based on youtube". Like the game changes at all once you play it.

I'll just say that playing a game and watching it can create two entirely different subjective experiences and one cannot necessarily be predicted from the other.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

It's not so much that post, it's posts in that vein. It opens up the floodgates for people to push the vague posts to the point where they're essentially spoiling the game. It's better to move that kind of discussion to spoiler tags just in case someone gets sloppy.

zoukka

I hate this sort of thinking. I actually have a friend who I found out hadn't played any of the games we talked about during a long perioud of time. He had all these narrow critical opinions about them and then it turned out he had only watched "let's play"'s of them.

All credibility lost.

Top Bottom