• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

meta4

How can people watch game and judge it ?
not saying you are wrong but still

Well a lot of things can be judged based of a walkthrough. I can def say the combat system is much much better. A lot of potential there. The enemy and level design is very uninspired mostly ( there are a few good things here and there). This also imo has the worst camera work in the series and it hampers the gameplay based on what I have seen. Playing the final game will maybe change my opinion on the combat system but not on any of my other points as those are fairly easy to judge from a video.

It's not so much that post, it's posts in that vein. It opens up the floodgates for people to push the vague posts to the point where they're essentially spoiling the game. It's better to move that kind of discussion to spoiler tags just in case someone gets sloppy.

There is nothing spoilery in that post. No one is going to spoil the game.

That can now be used as a base to set up the next trilogy if Kratos survives somehow.

Yes ! And we still have no clue on what David Jaffe is doing right now, except that he left Eat Sleep Play because he wanted to keep working on big, AAA games. There is a slim chance that he is working on God of War 4. After all, Sony brought him back to revive Twisted Metal.

edit: I know Jaffe is a Gaffer. Jaffe, if you're reading this, please direct the next proper God of War game ! The franchise needs you !

Sid

Yes ! And we still have no clue on what David Jaffe is doing right now, except that he left Eat Sleep Play because he wanted to keep working on big, AAA games. There is a slim chance that he is working on God of War 4. After all, Sony brought him back to revive Twisted Metal.
IDK why he left in the first place,Calling All Cars....seriously? a tag team of Barlog and Jaffe would kick so much ass.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
DAVID JAFFE'S ORIGINAL ENDING FOR GOD OF WAR III. STARTS AT 10:40.

You people made me use all caps. I'm also tempted to bump that three-year old thread.

The killing Zeus fake-out at the beginning sounds great. The plot involving making Gods fight each other sounds interesting, but how do you translate that into gameplay? The suicide ending would have been better than what ended up happening.

It's still stupid to posit multiple redundant cosmologies. Why do the other Gods want Zeus's position? Do they not have their own shit, of equal importance, to deal with? There are a lot of wrinkles in the fiction that could make or break it, and I don't know how easy that stuff would be solve.

Sid

The killing Zeus fake-out at the beginning sounds great. The plot involving making Gods fight each other sounds interesting, but how do you translate that into gameplay? The suicide ending would have been better than what ended up happening.

It's still stupid to posit multiple redundant cosmologies. Why do the other Gods want Zeus's position? Do they not have their own shit, of equal importance, to deal with? There are a lot of wrinkles in the fiction that could make or break it, and I don't know how easy that stuff would be solve.
Well they could show Zeus as being the King of ALL the gods.

Jacob4815

Although I have been watching that walkthrough on Youtube and it seems like the amount of bosses is really small in comparison to God of War 2/3, which is super disappointing.

Seems like every boss encounter was in the launch trailer :/...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJMK8oFY1rA

I'm a huge GOW fan and this was my most wanted game of the year, so i'm not going to cancel my preorder... but damn, now i'm so tempted.
SP seems so... flat and uninispired if compared to GOW 2 and GOW3.

The said they didn't want to show much of SP campaign because there were plenty of surprises and they didn't want to ruin the experience...
The truth is that there weren't so many impressive things to show.

njean777

That's not even what the trophy was for.
It was for the other dude's act, not Kratos', who was actually in the process of being pinned down and clowned by 3 women, lol.

Smh.

I know what it was for. I am not daft, people took offense to it because of the title of it. Do not try to act superior please, you are not special.

Camjo-Z

Here's a video of that "Bros before Hos" trophy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgjdeX9ejs (trophy appears during the end of the video)

Adam Sessler originally raised the issue with the trophy name in his review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjIpPUE8epA

After Sessler's ridiculous review of Sly 4 where he criticized stuff like guns feeling out of place (despite being in the Sly series since the first game) and not having a deep, resonating story (because we all expect those in our 3D collect-a-thon platformers right) I knew this would be overblown too... and I was right!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Well they could show Zeus as being the King of ALL the gods.

Yeah, they could establish the other pantheons as regional managers under the Olympic corporate HQ. I could probably deal with that. Some people would flip out because they love Norse mythology so much. You can't please everyone.

Oh, I also liked the 3 wise men thing. It would have been very cool if GOW2 predicted it and then it happened. Little threads like that add a lot to a series. Frankly, I thought it would, which might have something to do with how GOW3 failed to live up to my imagination and I knocked it for that.

Sid

Yeah, they could establish the other pantheons as regional managers under the Olympic corporate HQ.

Oh, I also liked the 3 wise men thing. It would have been very cool if GOW2 predicted it and then it happened. Little threads like that add a lot to a series. Frankly, I thought it would, which might have something to do with how GOW3 failed to live up to my imagination and I knocked it for that.
Hell,Jaffe or Barlog should have directed the entire series,would have done well for the continuity too. GoW 3 introduced the 'hope' bullshit and CoO was completely unnecessary and god knows how they f'd up Ascension though I hope not.

I know what it was for. I am not daft, people took offense to it because of the title of it. Do not try to act superior please, you are not special.

The smh (and general tone of the post) wasn't really directed at you.

I can see how you would take it that way though, reading back.

Sid

Jaffe's ending is much better. The GoW3 'Hope' ending was a creative cop-out.
The final boss (clone and the 'hope' Kratos) battle was hot garbage too though I liked that '2D' fight and the arena battle,we weres supposed to get that epic three way among Kratos,Zeus and Gaia,I hope Ascension has it better.

HOPE IS WHAT MAKES US STRONG

so bad
KuGsj.gif

and then that 20 minute walking forward segment at the end that makes U3's desert seem fun and replayable

I'm not dismissing the opinions of people who only watched it but I'd like to hear more from the people who are actually playing. We're not talking about a movie here.

ascii42

Hell,Jaffe or Barlog should have directed the entire series,would have done well for the continuity too. GoW 3 introduced the 'hope' bullshit and CoO was completely unnecessary and god knows how they f'd up Ascension though I hope not.

I thought hope being left in the box was a nice reference to the original myth.

Two god of war games vs 4 gears of wars in a single gen...and no the psp ones dont count

Well then you haven't played them. A lot of people count ghost as Sparta as potentially the best in the series, and they both certainly consumed perfectly good storyline material. But I appreciate the edict on the issue.

Sid

I thought hope being left in the box was a nice reference to the original myth.
But I don't want 'nice' references presented in a Disney (or any other) fashion as the main storyline, the bad ass stories of 1 and 2 shat upon the story of 3 from the mountains.

Well then you haven't played them. A lot of people count ghost as Sparta as potentially the best in the series, and they both certainly consumed perfectly good storyline material. But I appreciate the edict on the issue.

Also, God of War 2 came out after the first Gears. That seems like an odd omission to make just because it's not on the same console.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Ok 5 games within the span of a gen. That's worse.

I love the franchise man. I'm just saying Sony has pounded the shit out of it.

Umm...

GOW & GOW II - PS2
GOW COO & GOS - PSP
GOW III & GOWA - PS3

They just brought the first 4 titles to HD remix to get extra money and get people who didn't play those titles to play them
PS2 versions got the GOW Collection, PSP versions got the Origins Collection treatment, then to sell it as a full package - GOW Saga by adding III

LastNac

You can skip a cutscene. These sequences are nothing but an impediment on further playthroughs. If you only play games once for the cinematic experience, then this criticism is of course irrelevant.

If your focus is heavily combat and action(or shootbang), perhaps.

Seems like overall that is dependent on the individual. People reread entire books or rewatch entire movies. If I wan't to get my twitch on and just focus on combat or action, I might play a short segement of an experience that is predominantly action focused(like a shooter or action titles in the vien of Bayonetta), although that seems that level of base interaction is why multiplayer exists. However, I have gone through Uncharted 3 in its entirety 4 times and even when I do hand pick chapters to go through its typically Chapters 17-20. There is certainly an audience out there that enjoys the cinematic experience and aren't "one and done" in that regard.

Seems like it is difficult to speak for everyone and/or all things.

The Lamp

DAVID JAFFE'S ORIGINAL ENDING FOR GOD OF WAR III. STARTS AT 10:40.

You people made me use all caps. I'm also tempted to bump that three-year old thread.

This is insanely cool. The ending with the three wisemen was even more interesting, and that's coming from me as a Christian. And the part about Kratos going to Hades to join his family....man.

Why didn't they do this?? It would have been so unbelievable. Ugh. I wish Jaffe was still working on God of War..

Step

The vision for GoW3 from Jaffe was so amazing, and that explains why there was that mention of the 3 wise man on GoW2.

About giving Kratos a new mythology after the ending of GoW3 I don't think it would mix so well, so far what I would love is the set from the GoW1 "The Fate of the Titan" unlockable video,
with a new "Marked one" who finds the Blades of Exile

If your focus is just comabt and action(or shootbang), perhaps.

Seems like overall that is dependent on the individual. People reread entire books or rewatch entire movies. If I wan't to get my twitch on and just focus on combat or action, I might play a short segement of an experience that is predominantly action focused(like a shooter or action titles in the vien of Bayonetta), although that seems that level of base interaction is why multiplayer exists. However, I have gone through Uncharted 3 in its entirety 4 times and even when I do hand pick chapters to go through its typically Chapters 17-20. There is certainly an audience out there that enjoys the cinematic experience and aren't "one and done" in that regard.

Seems like it is difficult to speak for everyone and/or all things.

Or you could just look at Uncharted 2 which has, by far, the best balance of cinematic design and playability. You constantly focus on "combat and shootbang" in these arguments, but that's not the point. Uncharted 2 has a general gameplay flow that's much better executed than something like Uncharted 3. It's not about getting to the shooting segments as quickly as possible, it's about the entire game being conducive to repeat playthroughs. The more you artificially slow the player down, the less replayable the game becomes.

LastNac

Or you could just look at Uncharted 2 which has, by far, the best balance of cinematic design and playability. You constantly focus on "combat and shootbang" in these arguments, but that's not the point. Uncharted 2 has a general gameplay flow that's much better executed than something like Uncharted 3. It's not about getting to the shooting segments as quickly as possible, it's about the entire game being conducive to repeat playthroughs. The more you artificially slow the player down, the less replayable the game becomes.

Equally subjective and I refer you to our earlier conversation.

But anyway, God of War have had these kind of moments for sometime, I don't see how they would all of a sudden be negative now.

UC2 big marketed scene: the train, a combat-heavy environment that goes on for multiple chapters, elegently mixing spectacle with a lot of actual shooting, running, and ya know, gameplay.

UC3 big marketing scene: the airplane/desert, which is a QTE fight, followed by 45 seconds of sloppy gunplay, followed by ten minutes of pushing forward on a stick in the desert

The only reason I'm hype for The Last of Us is the fact that the UC2 director is suppose to be behind it. He hasn't fallen into the trap of MORE CINEMATICS MORE SLOW WALKING MORE QTES UC3 fell into

Derrick01

Banned
I'm a little disappointed my gamestop isn't doing a midnight launch for this. They said the preorder number was close to the number needed to open the mall that late but not good enough. Now I have to wait until 10am that morning :\

KalBalboa

Banned
Hey wait, the trophy doesn't even reflect him killing the fury?!

You get the trophy when a male character decides to aid you rather than his mother.

Equally subjective and I refer you to our earlier conversation.

But anyway, God of War have had these kind of moments for sometime, I don't see how they would all of a sudden be negative now.

It's not "all of sudden" for me. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've always disliked those moments. Maybe "disliked" is a strong word. I don't have a problem with them initially, but it's on replays where I sour on them. A 15 second slow walk for dramatic purposes, fine. Anything longer than maybe half a minute and I get pulled out of the experience. My brain immediately goes to "God, this will suck next time around." So no, maybe "dislike" isn't a strong word, at least when they're long and/or frequent.

meta4

UC2 big marketed scene: the train, a combat-heavy environment that goes on for multiple chapters, elegently mixing spectacle with a lot of actual shooting, running, and ya know, gameplay.

UC3 big marketing scene: the airplane/desert, which is a QTE fight, followed by 45 seconds of sloppy gunplay, followed by ten minutes of pushing forward on a stick in the desert

The only reason I'm hype for The Last of Us is the fact that the UC2 director is suppose to be behind it. He hasn't fallen into the trap of MORE CINEMATICS MORE SLOW WALKING MORE QTES UC3 fell into

I agree with this. As I said before doing Cinematic games is extremely difficult and is more easy to fall flat on your face as a developer. UC2 is an exception and not a norm. I doubt even ND can repeat the greatness of UC2 ever again which is why I am glad they are going for a more gamey and systems driven game in TLOU.

It's not "all of sudden" for me. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've always disliked those moments. Maybe "disliked" is a strong word. I don't have a problem with them initially, but it's on replays where I sour on them. A 15 second slow walk for dramatic purposes, fine. Anything longer than maybe half a minute and I get pulled out of the experience. My brain immediately goes to "God, this will suck next time around."

Interesting reading some of the responses. I guess for some people they dont consider replay value as the strong point in the game and consider the experience playing it for the first time more important while some such as yourself prefer to have replay value in games instead of being wowed for the first time and feeling bored the second time. I dont know which camp I fall under. The Microwave scene in MGS4 for eg worked for me even though it is essentially a UC3 sequence with a button replacing an analog stick. UC3 however did not work for me.

I'm a little disappointed my gamestop isn't doing a midnight launch for this. They said the preorder number was close to the number needed to open the mall that late but not good enough. Now I have to wait until 10am that morning :\

Just go to a 24hr wal-mart

Top Bottom