• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

3 actually didn't have that many god boss fights. Hermes and Helios had small segments applied to them, and Hera was also just killed off. It did have more happening, Ascension in particular has a weirdly slow start and Kratos doesn't say much at all for the first half.

I know what you mean about spending too long in places, but I like stuff like that when it's done well, i.e. the statue takes a very long time due to the immense scale of it. Once I came out and realized I was only at the foot was a good "damn" moment. Personally it adds a lot to the sense of place when I finally do reach the head I can think back to how long it took, and it feels like a much more cohesive environment. 3 ended up using portals to teleport around which I also disliked considering that.

That's one of my critiques about God of War 3. They really should have saved characters like Helios, Hermes, and Hercules for later games if they were going to be such small part of the game.

Thanks! That's unfortunate I would have bought the game if I liked the multiplayer enough, but now its time to wait till it hits sub $30.

Did you get a chance to play the open beta or anything? I am really enjoying multiplayer. I feel it is the most fun when you have people to party up with.

phierce

Well I've Platinumed all 5 GoW games so far. I've heard that this one is the hardest yet so I don't know.
Well, depends what you're meaning by "hardest". I felt the Hard mode was more difficult than the rest of the series' Hard mode. However, I felt this was by far the easiest platinum to obtain in the series.

I missed a total of two trophies in my playthrough, and easily got them with a few chapter selects. It took me ~12 hours to get the platinum, and that's including chapter select for the two I missed.

Just finished it.

Final impressions:

This might end up being my favorite God of War game. Like someone above said, it probably comes out of what you want out of the series. To me, despite being able beat them on their highest difficulties, they're not technical combat games. As well, the stories are fun, but they're ultimately a vaudevillian take on Greek characters, and I've never been overly attached to the actual sequence of events. These game are ultimately, for me about adventure, environments, scope and moments.This game, I felt, delivered that in spades in a way I'm not sure any game in the series has. God of War II would come the closest, but played back to back, I'm not sure it stands up to this. God of War III, while amazing and epic, was pretty constrained in terms of it's environments, which I think held it back. God of War I has always been my last place in the series - there have only been improvements since then.

The story... while I understand the complaints about the story, I feel like people are just reacting to unfamiliarity with the characters. I think these characters are just as wacky and awesome as any in the series, I just think you're not gratified by the "Hey, I know that name from high school!" response. I really appreciated what the story was trying to do as well, but I think (a) SSM's storytelling abilities just aren't that great and (b) it's inherently smaller in scope, which people are reacting negatively to. The
final moment with your daughter and wife though
is actually very touching, and i liked
Kratos' relationship with Orkos, another lost son.
I think i'll need to digest it with subsequent playthroughs.

And that final battle. What. The. Fuck. I think it's safe to say it's the greatest finale I've ever seen in this medium. Open to suggestions to the contrary, but it's absolutely the best finale of the series, without much contest.

But above all else: SSM, you have the most talented environmental artists in the industry. Bar none. This shit is absolutely magical, so please - Tank, Pappy - if you guys are reading this, please pass this message along to the environmental art/design team. Absolutely breathtaking and incredible, and the most consistently so in the whole series.

The asinine critical response to this title is completely beyond me, and kind of a fucking travesty if it stops people from playing. If you're reading this and a God of War fan, the game has been criminally underrated. And I haven't even tried the MP.

9/10

Ricker

Guys help me out here,the game is at the load last checkpoint,it's the Boss fight in chapter 19,the Electric Girl with her fucking blue bird...I am at the last QTE but I never get it right it seems,thank god it restarts right there...it shows that I have to do a halfturn going up with the right analog stick but it doesnt seem to work...

Derrick01

Banned
Well, depends what you're meaning by "hardest". I felt the Hard mode was more difficult than the rest of the series' Hard mode. However, I felt this was by far the easiest platinum to obtain in the series.

I missed a total of two trophies in my playthrough, and easily got them with a few chapter selects. It took me ~12 hours to get the platinum, and that's including chapter select for the two I missed.

Yeah the platinum is incredibly easy to get outside of beat the game on Hard. I had 28/36 after finishing the game the first time with no trophy guide at all. None of the collectibles are hidden well so you don't even need a guide for most of them (like I had 9/10 artifacts when I finished the game, missed an obvious one that I kicked myself over when I realized).

And really this game is only hard on Hard because of combat issues like those fucking goat enemies not reacting to any hits at all. You spend more time rolling and blocking in battles than actually striking.

Did you get a chance to play the open beta or anything? I am really enjoying multiplayer. I feel it is the most fun when you have people to party up with.

I sadly did not. The multiplayer looks like a lot of fun, but I'm not willing to drop $60 on something I'm not 100% sold on and I've never been comfortable spending that much for story part of GoW. I just hope there's a community that isn't too brutal when I play the game.

Guys help me out here,the game is at the load last checkpoint,it's the Boss fight in chapter 19,the Electric Girl with her fucking blue bird...I am at the last QTE but I never get it right it seems,thank god it restarts right there...it shows that I have to do a halfturn going up with the right analog stick but it doesnt seem to work...

That is a weird one, and really poorly represented on screen (in fact, the QTE prompts in this game generally kind of suck).

I think best best is roll the stick from bottom, along the right side, up to top. should get ya done, but it's definitely oddly unresponsive.

It's the left stick...

Shit, I hope that wasn't the problem.

phierce

It's the left stick...

Jinjo

So I picked it up today from the local store after cancelling my online pre-order, because they ran out of pre-order codes(that store sure as hell was not getting my money anymore). So no free month psn + & mythological heroes pack for me :(
(If anyone has a leftover code that he doesn't know what to do with...
Intro was amazing, it's slowed down a bit more now. In theory I should like the puzzle elements more, where it not that I'm stuck lol.

So I'm just in delphi's palace.
It's the puzzle with the dropping floor and clock. I get to the second floor, activate the decay and then I just don't know what to do. Tried all sorts of stuff. I feel dumb. Any tips?

Edit: never mind, got that. That was a pretty roundabout solution.

Hm. I think I'll go hard. I might not make the Trial of Archimedes before its patched anyway lol.

Ricker

It's the left stick...

That was it....lol,the time before it was left stick and they showed it on the left,so this one,since it showed it on the right,i was trying with the right stick....thanks man...oh and it was that infamous trophy lol...

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Same. It's my favorite God of War.

Ditto. Ghost of Sparta is fucking amazing. I'd have loved to have seen a complete remake of Ghost of Sparta using the God of War 3/Ascension engine. Hell, I'd still like to see that. I'd even triple dip for it (owned the PSP version, own the HD Collection, and would by a remake).

Bruiserk

No one is posting their thoughts on online play? Anyone else suffering from OP hades players?

I haven't had too much experience with hades players but slowing me down and sucking my health got annoying.

If anyone wants to join me, I'll be playing in a couple of hours. PSN: Bruiserk

Readvacancy

Neo Member
Whoa some of you really talked up the trial but I didn't have much trouble with it. It took me two tries. Definitely enjoyed the game aside from the sound issues. The last fight was pretty insane.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
SSM's Twitter is actually promoting IGN's strategy video to finish the Trial since they're getting so many complaints about it. LOL

I need the help :(

phierce

No one is posting their thoughts on online play? Anyone else suffering from OP hades players?
Online play is fun. The upgrades and unlocks are fairly well done. Some of the armor really looks badass. The games modes are unique and fun. The co-op challenge is, well, a nice challenge.

As far as OP Hades players...I haven't really noticed it all that much, but I don't meta game and worry about 100% balance. I kill the hades guys just as often as they kill me. The vanish ability sucks ass at times, but it is what it is.

My problem is the fact that the online play will be short lived, for me at least. I haven't invested a whole lot of time and I'm level 22-23 all ready. I'll probably hit the cap tonight or tomorrow (see? That's the issue, I haven't even logged in to play online today since I completed the game last night and I'm off today!...the draw just isn't there really).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

OP Hades? :p

I saw your other post, I'm guessing the ability you're talking about is the cloak which actually only works if the player stays away. You get exposed if they run by someone and it didn't help me much so I stopped using it.

I got a 20 something Poseidon, I can manage a 1v1 most of the time. and get fucked the rest lol.

My fellow Poseidon player... I know what its like lol.

OP Hades? :p

I saw your other post, I'm guessing the ability you're talking about is the cloak which actually only works if the player stays away. You get exposed if they run by someone and it didn't help me much so I stopped using it.

Yeah the forums most people seem to agree Hades is OP.

Too much offensive power, and survivability going on. Hell I get ravaged by Hades players that are half my level.

SSM's Twitter is actually promoting IGN's strategy video to finish the Trial since they're getting so many complaints about it. LOL

I need the help :(

I think the biggest things are:
- ideally by this point you have: lightning fully upgraded so you can use it's magic + max magic/max health/max blades
- use magic in the first round, you regenerate most of it back if you kill with R1
- spam uroburos, ideally targetting > 1 foe
- if you can manage to stun the snake ladies, you can take another one down through stoning
- take down the ladies in wave 2 only with R1, they generate health
- wave 3 mostly takes care of itself

Any other tips, anybody?

Papercuts

My fellow Poseidon player... I know what its like lol.

Yeah the forums most people seem to agree Hades is OP.

Too much offensive power, and survivability going on. Hell I get ravaged by Hades players that are half my level.

Maybe Poseidon just sucks. :D

Hades does have good survivability though. I use the whirlwind which makes you invincible and health leeches, and my hammer heals me too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think the biggest things are:
- ideally by this point you have: lightning fully upgraded so you can use it's magic + max magic/max health/max blades
- use magic in the first round, you regenerate most of it back if you kill with R1
- spam uroburos, ideally targetting > 1 foe
- if you can manage to stun the snake ladies, you can take another one down through stoning
- take down the ladies in wave 2 only with R1, they generate health
- wave 3 mostly takes care of itself

Any other tips, anybody?
I don't have blades maxed, unfortunately. They're at level 4 and everything else is max.

The combat is pretty fun which is why padding in so many puzzles is terrible.

Pre GOWA players: "Needs moar puzzles, combat's too familiar"
Post GOWA players: "Too many puzzles, you changed the combat"

I swear to God SSM was fucked for trying to please people with this game.

Sid

Pre GOWA players: "Needs moar puzzles, combat's too familiar"
Post GOWA players: "Too many puzzles, you changed the combat"

I swear to God SSM was fucked for trying to please people with this game.
I never said the former and the combat is pretty much the same as the othe GoWs it's just that there are too many puzzles.

Hahaha, What weapon do you use? I normally use his water type spear, but tried out his sword in co-op and it had some pretty sick attacks.

I also use the spear... it has some good coop properties like sheilding and healing and some knockback that I enjoy to throw people off occasionally.

I HEARD that once you hit the mid-20s (im 22), that you should switch it up to the elemental armor, and the maul that unlocks to do some good damage numbers.

I have not used the sword, but ill give it a shot :)

So any thoughts on the best allegiance in MP? Haven't started yet curious what you guys say here.

Hades or Zeus

I wasn't saying the former.

I'm not saying you were, but there was a lot of call for more environmental puzzles after III given the game had like 4. I absolutely loved the mechanical puzzles in this game.

Edit: Dammit we're both dynamically editing our posts. I hear what you're saying, but you can see how "too many puzzles" might be a preference thing, I was one of the ones asking for moar.

Ricker

Is this the easiest GoW of them all...?,besides the trial I guess,because I never got this far(Chapter 20)in the previous PS3/PS2 games...the QTE where just too hard for me,but in this one,once I got use to the placement on the screen for the regular prompts being mapped to the way they appear on the controller,I am not having that much problems with the QTE as the others...I might get the HD collection and try and finish the others now,unless you guys tell me Ascension is the easiest...(playing on normal)

redhot_

I also use the spear... it has some good coop properties like sheilding and healing and some knockback that I enjoy to throw people off occasionally.

I HEARD that once you hit the mid-20s (im 22), that you should switch it up to the elemental armor, and the maul that unlocks to do some good damage numbers.

I have not used the sword, but ill give it a shot :)

The maul being Poseidon's level 25 hammer? If so I am looking forward to trying that one, think its the one with a whirlwind attack.

If you like to toss people around the sword does have a few attacks that upper cut and an ice spike line that comes up.

Is this the easiest GoW of them all...?,besides the trial I guess,because I never got this far(Chapter 20)in the previous PS3 games...the QTE where just too hard for me,but in this one,once I got use to the placement on the screen for the regular prompts being mapped to the way they appear on the controller,I am not having that much problems with the QTE as the others...I might get the HD collection and try and finish the others now,unless you guys tell me Ascension is the easiest...(playing on normal)

I haven't played the other games except on hard for quite a while, so I think ascension's pretty representative. There were some classic masher series moments besides trials though -
the two flame jets
took me a couple of tries.

Generally, God of War only comes alive on hard mode though. It's really the way to play the games.

When will the sound patch be out? I need to play this.

Pappy tweeted very soon for the difficulty patch, and I would think/hope they're bundling them. Might be what's delaying it actually.

The maul being Poseidon's level 25 hammer? If so I am looking forward to trying that one, think its the one with a whirlwind attack.

If you like to toss people around the sword does have a few attacks that upper cut and an ice spike line that comes up.

I mostly run around as support for my friends, heal them and toss shields with the special attacks using the spear.

But yes Ill try that sword out in 10 minutes here.

Yes that maul. Level 25 one.

What rune do you use? I use the one for +10% elemental resist for entire team. (I fear the Zeus/Hades rape lol)

Papercuts

Is this the easiest GoW of them all...?,besides the trial I guess,because I never got this far(Chapter 20)in the previous PS3 games...the QTE where just too hard for me,but in this one,once I got use to the placement on the screen for the regular prompts being mapped to the way they appear on the controller,I am not having that much problems with the QTE as the others...I might get the HD collection and try and finish the others now,unless you guys tell me Ascension is the easiest...(playing on normal)

This was easily the hardest for me, just strictly speaking about Hard. If we're talking max difficulty then Titan on 2 is insanity, but I didn't have trouble with it otherwise. I thought 3 was very easy aside from the ice scorpion which was more difficult via shitty hit detection and frustrating design.

Finished it. Like i already said, this game is a geat addition to the series, and if you like impressive and unique environments and adventuring this game will deliver you a great time.

My final series ranking would be: GoW 2 > GoW 3 > GoW:A = GoW 1.

redhot_

I mostly run around as support for my friends, heal them and toss shields with the special attacks using the spear.

But yes Ill try that sword out in 10 minutes here.

Yes that maul. Level 25 one.

What rune do you use? I use the one for +10% elemental resist for entire team. (I fear the Zeus/Hades rape lol)

I normally have that one on as well, but just switched to the one where you get magic when you do successful grab... it was really useful in co-op.

Papercuts

Lol, does nobody play Ares? Also what is with the extra staircase at the god selection? Seems like they had another one planned.

Top Bottom