• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

rdrr gnr

I think I just lost about 6 hours of gameplay. You know that bridge glitch at
Delphi
? I continued from there after restarting the chapter. I just loaded up my game to put in some upgrades and I'm back at the bridge -- even though I ended today's session right before the
Trials

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Sorry why exactly isn't this game on PSN? I was all set to buy it tonight and it says it's disc only. How does that make sense for a flagship PS3 game?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Delphi
? I continued from there after restarting the chapter. I just loaded up my game to put in some upgrades and I'm back at the bridge -- even though I ended today's session right before the
Trials

Someone earlier in this thread posted something about the autosave apparently ceasing to function, I think it was around the same part. That is absolutely terrible. :\

You just keep hitting them to shatter them, you HAVE to shatter them to get the big red orbs.

Do big AoE attacks work or should it be heavy ones focuing on singular enemies? Ice was my least used but this would have helped it a lot for me.

rdrr gnr

Someone earlier in this thread posted something about the autosave apparently ceasing to function, I think it was around the same part. That is absolutely terrible. :\
Could you link me to that post? This is fucking ridiculous. I don't have the time to do that all over again. I mean -- I couldn't even just continue from the bridge -- I would have to play the entire game.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Delphi
Trials
When you do chapter select it promts an option for disabling autosave maybe you chose to disable it?

Do big AoE attacks work or should it be heavy ones focuing on singular enemies? Ice was my least used but this would have helped it a lot for me.

Depends on some of the weaker enemies holding square twice will shatter 3-4 enemies, other times square square triangle will catch a couple of them.

When you do chapter select it promts an option for disabling autosave maybe you chose to disable it?

I was the one that got fucked earlier too. I'm pretty sure I didn't choose not to autosave because the game continued to say saving in the corner every few mins. Glitchy piece of shit...

God I'm still pissed.

rdrr gnr

I was the one that got fucked earlier too. I'm pretty sure I didn't choose not to autosave because the game continued to say saving in the corner every few mins. Glitchy piece of shit...

God I'm still pissed.
Holy fuck. I was so close to end but was so tired. Why is the chapter select system so archaic? I'm guessing a save doesn't even exist -- so they couldn't patch it.

Mik_Pad

Banned
No. It just asks if you want to load from an autosave. There is no option for disabling autosave because this game doesn't have manual saves.
I'm sure you can disable autosave for replaying purpose without losing your progress and I think in the GB Quick Look it showed the option when they did chapter select.
But it seems it is a bug since it happened to someone else.

Maaseru

Banned
I love this game and all other GoW and Uncharted. I mean it's like palying a movie, sure there are problems with it, but I'm enjoying it all. Can't wait to sse this and other series like this go next gen.

Maybe to prevent staleness of the series they could mix it up and add a bit more metroidvania style to it, but overall they should just let me play this "movie". Just give me a good/great story, set pieces and I'm in!

Mik_Pad

Banned
Holy fuck. I was so close to end but was so tired. Why is the chapter select system so archaic? I'm guessing a save doesn't even exist -- so they couldn't patch it.
Yeah I think it was better before, but the same happened with DS3 they ditched their save system in favor of chapter select.

rdrr gnr

I don't get why I don't have individual chapters unlocked. If I chose auto-save off -- then progressed to chapter that I have yet to unlock from another save. Why would anyone even imagine a scenario in which someone would want that?

Edit: Bruiserk, how do I go about loading on these files? I can't Skype because I don't have a mic.
Edit: Oh, yay. Trophies are disabled when borrow save data. Great.

Robot Pants

I don't know what game some of you are playing but Im only halfway through now and Ascension is now my favorite GOW. Not only does it have that GOW2 vibe of the incredible adventure but it does even better than 2. I didn't think graphically that would see much of an improvement over GOW3 but this is the best looking console game I have seen to date. Close ups on Kratos are insanely detailed

Like I said earlier in thread its the combat for me, i'm in love with it. I relish every combat and trying to fill the rage meter and when that happens Kratos is unstoppable. The new grapple must be permanent feature in future games. Watching Kratos fight has never been this enjoyable. Yeah there are some sound issues but there is no denying the awesome soundtrack and effects.. That Ice Magic is so awesome..

And the game is a challenge. Square square triangle doesn't work like it use to but its a welcome change. The puzzles that I have experienced so far challenging excellently designed. That whole snake thing was incredible. Im just not seeing the hate for Ascension. Its an unbelievable game. SSM, this is one hell of a game, My favorite GOW and i'm not even finished yet
Glad you enjoy it. I'm warming up to it more on my second play (not much more) but it really doesn't come close to touching gow2

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Shamelessly stolen from ps3trophies.org. Credit goes to "poignancy" over there. Spoilered just in case:

Originally Posted by poignancy View Post
... I have maxed out magic bar and Zeus lightning. I also happened to be carrying a shield into this battle, if you arn't no big deal it didn't help much..

Wave 1: Start off by rolling to the right hand side so one gorgon spawns in the fire. freeze (L2+Square) the other one and start your favorite combo. try to stay in this corner to fight only the one at a time. this GREATLY helps and makes these guys complete pussies. Once you finish that first one off another will spawn and most likely by now the 2nd on found its way to you.

Keep your distance and use the L2+Square AND L2+Triangle whenever you can. You can block all the attacks except you need to roll dodge the gorgon freezebeams and roll away when they sliver up to grab you. At this point you can use magic twice. This should stun one if not both. If not hit them a couple times and one of them SHOULD go red. Complete the mini-game to regain magic. When the lighting bitches spawn use all 4 magic and eliminate them as they turn red because they also grant you more magic orbs which is all the more helpful.

Bear in mind you WILL NOT need ANY magic or hardly any health for the last 2 waves i PROMISE you that. Go balls to the walls use all your magic up at this point. Do not forget to use the orkos stone to freeze someone after each time you use magic. get in a quick combo and use another magic. This routine keeps u safe from damage.

Wave 2: Play it SAFE. HOLD BLOCK THE ENTIRE TIME!!! They can not and WILL NOT damage you. Get in cheap shots quick attacks when you have time, but TAKE YOUR TIME and BE A CHEAP PLAYER. You CAN NOT die here so long as you play it safe. Keep in mind if you are low on health the blue bitches grant you some when you grapple them once they are red.

Wave 3: Hold block and wait for him to charge. Win the QTE and engage your favorite combo. Unleash any magic you may have left at this point, but its entirely not needed. (I have enough for once usage).

Wave 4: Once he is done emply the same strategy as part 2. HOLD BLOCK and they CAN NOT KILL YOU! EVER. Only when you try to attack so PLAY IT SAFE you are almost done this is NOT that hard.
This will help greatly.

Are you playing on hard?
Nope, Normal. I'm also kind of sick and was really tired last night so that kind of compounded the issue.

Maaseru

Banned
Damn that trial of Archimedes....Any tips? From what I've gather I can parry Medusas to stone the other baddies a combo the lightning bitches off the platform. I need to get to the 2nd level with most of my health. So is there...a 3rd level?

So I just played the first section. My ranking of intro's:

GOW2>GOW:A>GOW3>GOW1>GOW:COU

That was awesome. So far I'm hooked. Can't wait to play more.

The pacing in Ascension is so good, that I played 8 hours straight last night, from the intro all the way up to the Trial. I was sleepy and ready to go to bed, but I couldn't put the controller down.

I will definitely replay it sometime on Hard.

The pacing in Ascension is so good, that I played 8 hours straight last night, from the intro all the way up to the Trial. I was sleepy and ready to go to bed, but I couldn't put the controller down.

Totally agreed. Beat the game in one sitting on Hard on launch day, and mopped up trophies through the beginning until the Trial of Archimedes in one sitting today. Pacing is so fucking good.

I liked the game, but I can't help but feel that this title was completely unneeded after God of War 3. I also hated the lack of boss battles considering this series is known for such a thing.
Fighting the Furies at least three times got pretty old to me. I really think characters like Helios and Hermes should have been left out of God of War 3 if God of War 3 wasn't going to be the last title.

In other words, the current mythology they have to work with is table scraps and it definitely shows plot wise. I really hope this is the last game that deals with Greek mythology because they had a story to tell and they're on the verge of over-telling it.

Sid

And that concludes my Hard playthrough,now looking back at it this is the worst of the console games but easily tops the portable ones,nice game overall.It should have featured the General Kratos era,at least 3 over the top crazy bosses like Poseidon but on an even bigger scale along with the current ones,less puzzles,more action and straightforward storytelling.

thabiz

Wheres the damn audio fix. appalling that it shipped with such a glaring issue. You would think after reviewers were mentioning it, that it would be fixed pronto. Surely before changing a stupid trophy, or fixing a debatable portion of the game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Damn that trial of Archimedes....Any tips? From what I've gather I can parry Medusas to stone the other baddies a combo the lightning bitches off the platform. I need to get to the 2nd level with most of my health. So is there...a 3rd level?

Whoever conceived that elevator spot after getting the eyes of truth can go fuck himself. SERIOUSLY

Just got to the trial. Jesus.

Check out the post by aristotle quoted earlier on this page. The trials aren't too hard once you know how to approach them. Unfortunately, there's pretty much no way other than trial and error to discover the optimal strategy.

ruxtpin

Banned
In other words, the current mythology they have to work with is table scraps and it definitely shows plot wise. I really hope this is the last game that deals with Greek mythology because they had a story to tell and they're on the verge of over-telling it.

I still like that old PA comic. Time for Kratos to go after Jesus, Allah, the Hindu deities, throw in a few Egyptian gods; have Kratos fight an amorphous blob that represents the agnostic line of thought.

Edit: Upgraded lightning is something nasty! I wish I could have unlimited magic to spam that during the SP campaign.

Risgroo

Finished the trial, woo! Got it on my first try after I switched to souls(fully upgraded). That and the power of Uroboros did the trick, Wesker would be proud.

Top Bottom