• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

BeeDog

The v1.03 patch is 107 MB, in case anyone's wondering.

According to various posts here and there, this patch doesn't fix the sound issues. :mad:

Psykotik

GoW2, GoW3 and GoS all got awesome stories. I don't think it will be a good idea to skip them alltogether because Kratos's main story and quest is in GoW1, 2 and 3 unless you meant to play them after Ascension. GoW:A is a prequel and it won't harm to play it now.

yeah, i plan on playing them all someday. but i'm itching to buy and play a new game after just finishing tomb raider and ascension looks like it would fit the bit.

just worried about any references i would not get if i haven't played all the other games.

Autofokus

Mine works and unquiet after I move the slider between stereo/headphones etc. My setup is only HDMI/stereo though..

SP or MP? My observations are only based on the SP. And there are definitely sound effects missing (on finishers for example) or delayed and some are just plain wrongly mixed (smashing the claw of one giant boss sounds like a little squirrel fart).

yeah, i plan on playing them all someday. but i'm itching to buy and play a new game after just finishing tomb raider and ascension looks like it would fit the bit.

just worried about any references i would not get if i haven't played all the other games.

I wouldn't worry, it's not really that kind of prequel. There's a few plays on the things they say that I read into as foreshadowing, but it's very light. It's not like we see from the big bad villian's pov when he's only revealed at the end of the original trilogy or anything like that. (In case anyone who hasn't played them reads that as a legit example, it's not! haha just a random made up example)

In fact, this game, and the series is general is fairly shallow/light on story, I wouldn't worry at all about the story. IF you know the greek mythos at all, you basically just insert Kratos into various scenarios quite often.

Sorral

I can't recall any major references. There was very minor stuff (that I barely even recall one or two) that you will get later after playing the next sequels anyway. Shouldn't have a problem playing it.

SP or MP? My observations are only based on the SP. And there are definitely sound effects missing (on finishers for example) or delayed and some are just plain wrongly mixed (smashing the claw of one giant boss sounds like a little squirrel fart).

Both. Whenever I start the game, the volume is lower than it should and sliding between the modes changes it to the normal volume.
In the SP, I guess I am lucky because I have only experienced the skips at the start of the game and at the final fight where the sound just clips and goes quiet for 2-3 seconds and comes back, just a handful of times even. I don't know what's making my game nowhere near as glitchy as the others.

What are the numbers for mp then, what seems to be the average amount of people online at a time? Gutted I could not give the mp a go since I only rented the game, but I enjoyed the campaign so much I reckon I'll be buying it once it comes down a little. Would be nice if mp is still alive at that point. Do we feel like there's momentum that could be built here, or it's just something to be enjoyed before it dies out in the first month or so/is offered up on ps plus in a years time?

WinFonda

Survey submitted. Here are the three things I'd like to see changed.

Your changes wouldn't work well together, imo. Evade can pretty much protect you from everything as is already but a well timed grapple. If you're over evading and being predictable, then yeah you'll get grappled and it sucks, but you gotta have that counter in place.

If you could continually evade with no consequences, AND parry everything but special attacks, and then ontop of that increase special attacks to 30 second cooldowns... I think you're looking at some rather broken combat. It would be almost impossible to kill anyone without using a world weapon. And world weapons are already very powerful. And slippery players can already be hard to kill. But think about it, you could just roll away from combat and go wherever you wanted if grapple didn't work on evade.

Also, by making special attacks less prominent, the balance would then skew heavily towards physical damage, like Ares, since Special Attacks are one of the few options for dealing magic damage. I also think in general the combat would become a little too predictable and rote if they de-emphasized special attacks across the board. I think there could be some individual balance improvements for special attacks, like a few seconds more on some weapons and a few seconds less on others.

I do feel parry responsiveness could be improved (especially when multiple people are attacking you), or have a small health recovery built into successful parries. I know there's some relics that do this, but I kinda feel it should just be standard. If 3 people are attacking you and you parry them, you should get 30 health back, 10 for each. A super parry of sorts. Ganging up on people like that in objective modes is often more detrimental for your team anyway. And any mechanic that could help alleviate that would be good.

Sporran

Man this game is so glitchy. Had to restart the chapter to get past one glitch, it froze in Chp7 and now whenever i restart from a death i just get the black screen and the logo flashing in the corner. It never reloads. All i can do is quit game and reload it, but once i die it does it again.

Playing on hard too, so dying a lot :( buggers

TEH-CJ

Banned
Sigh

the music is still the same. Mixed too low with the sound effects.

Must be the patch for the trial of archemedis thing.

Jinjo

Sigh

If it were only mixing problems... Sound just drops on occasion, because it seemingly doesn't get loaded. It's especially jarring (and frequent) in the bros before foes fight and cutscene.

Nearly beat the trials on hard on my second attempt yesterday if only I hadn't fucked up a grapple on one of the final shades. With a checkpoint after the first bit it should be pretty much easy mode. I liked the challenge tbh.

Multiplayer is still fun, but matchmaking needs to be fixed asap. How they have gotten it so wrong even with a beta is a bit strange.

Jacob4815

If it were only mixing problems... Sound just drops on occasion, because it seemingly doesn't get loaded. It's especially jarring (and frequent) in the bros before foes fight and cutscene.

Yep, i don't have music at all in the last cutscene of that boss fight.
And i tried many times.

ced

Are you fucking kidding me? They nerfed the trials and didn't fix audio? I had zero issues with the trials, but the audio stuff really ruined the feel of the game.

chapter 21. am I near the end?

the QTE where you have you follow the arrows, which thumbstick? I kept failing til I did BOTH.

loving it. The boss fight vs the
two sisters
was intense!!!

thabiz

considering there was sound problems with the beta, i doubt this is going to get fixed.

Add SSM to the list of only buy used.

playing on hard and dying lots is making this game feel long. lol. its a bit of the slog. good slog but a bit easier now I got the two L2 attacks/powers.

I think I'm about to power up my flame blades to lvl 5

velociraptor

Sigh

So glad I haven't got the game yet. I'll wait until they fix every issue. The sound effects were simply abysmal in the demo. Fix this shit SSM! ;)

Slurmer

Banned
So, boss fight against
two furies
...pretty sure I am getting a glitch. The boss just keeps taunting repeatedly and I can't hit it. I have restarted 4 times now and same thing every time.

Sorian

Banned
Got to sit down last night and really put some time into the game. I have to say that once you get the (mid game spoilers)
time amulet
, the game stops being a drag. You can tell that combat this time around was based on having that ability and trying to play before getting it is just terrible.

Oh FFS. I wanna start this game already. I didn't go past the demo's point due to the audio issues and the latest patch doesnt fix it?! Grrrrrrrrr :(

Jinjo

They didn't add any checkpoints in the trial. Far as I noticed you just get some health at the end of the first bit. Still pretty challenging.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I did it.....I finally did it. With blades not fully upgraded and Orkos on lvl 1. I was a parrying madman. Gaf you would be proud
Oathstone level 1 must have made that a real pain. I had everything except the blades maxed out when I did it and it was really tough.

They didn't add any checkpoints in the trial. Far as I noticed you just get some health at the end of the first bit. Still pretty challenging.

That's a good way of dealing with it. The biggest issue with it was just how little health you had at the end of round 1.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Might as well be a checkpoint since wave 1 is the entire challenge. Really lame and unnecessary.

I've been waiting for this patch for a week. They finally release it, and now I'm having even more trouble with the Trial than before the patch!

That whole last segment is pretty unreal looking. Great way to close out the game.

Solid 8/10

There are some really odd moments where the game is lacking polish sound being one of the most notable.

Outside of that and the random glitches I actually enjoyed the story quite a bit and I thought the end of the game was handled very well. It did help to add more dimension to Kratos. He is one of the more interesting charachters we have in games so I hope one of these days we really get a better exposition on him.

Combat was really excellent as well as the items you get. They added a lot to the puzzles which are some of the most well thought out ones I have played in a long time.

Couple missteps Pappy some big some small but otherwise great job. If multiplayer had been dropped I am sure the game would be a lot more polished.

thabiz

http://www.godofwar.com/en-us/blog/download-103-update/

All the patch does is fix the trials. Didnt they say it would not affect hard difficulty?

APPARENTLY fixing everything else is still on going. Targeting the next patch as they are "deep in production" on it.

Really happy they focused on fixing a trophy name and a small part of the game, that may or may not be difficult. Fixing bugs and glaring audio issues can wait, its really not important.

BadAss2961

Really happy they focused on fixing a trophy name and a small part of the game, that may or may not be difficult. Fixing bugs and glaring audio issues can wait, its really not important.
Probably because those changes are easy. Audio issues (that some people don't even have) will take longer.

Hopefully the new patches don't mess up anything on my end. Somehow I got lucky and everything works perfectly fine for me. Both SP and MP.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
wait so did they patch the trials on hard mode as well ?
cause I just beat that today and I want to know if I should feel proud or not.

edit: "This change affects all difficulty levels." well that sucks.

Minion101

Banned
http://www.godofwar.com/en-us/blog/download-103-update/

All the patch does is fix the trials. Didnt they say it would not affect hard difficulty?

APPARENTLY fixing everything else is still on going. Targeting the next patch as they are "deep in production" on it.

Yeah clearly, they know whats really important.

thabiz

Probably because those changes are easy. Audio issues (that some people don't even have) will take longer.

Hopefully the new patches don't mess up anything on my end. Somehow I got lucky and everything works perfectly fine for me. Both SP and MP.

the sound issues have been around long before anyone bitched about a difficulty spike at the end of the game. they have had 3 months to fix the audio.

Name on the trophy was easy, yes.

Loudninja

the sound issues have been around long before anyone bitched about a difficulty spike at the end of the game. they have had 3 months to fix the audio.

Dude really?Have you ever thought that its not a easy fix?

Not sure why you comparing it it changing some text.

Ok, I'm convinced. They made the Trial harder with this patch. Before the patch, I could finish the first round. Now, I can't even do that.

BadAss2961

Papy was posting here shortly before the game released. He seemed to be caught off guard by the audio complaints.

It's not something that everyone has. So finding a problem like that and testing it thoroughly will obviously take longer than what was patched today.

thabiz

Dude really?Have you ever thought that its not a easy fix?

Not sure why you comparing it it changing some text.

its not an easy fix. this is why im pissed that they released it anyway.

funny fact. when i switch to stereo, my receiver is still outputting dts.

torontoml

Can someone explain this story for me? I've just entered the
temple of delphie?
, why am I here. Why did the guy at the start say the furies were after me if I haven't broken my oath yet? I am having a difficult time getting invested into this game since I can't figure out my motive for going anywhere at the moment.

elbourreau

Can someone explain this story for me? I've just entered the
temple of delphie?
, why am I here. Why did the guy at the start say the furies were after me if I haven't broken my oath yet? I am having a difficult time getting invested into this game since I can't figure out my motive for going anywhere at the moment.

Plotting the betrayal. You now know Furies will be after you if you don't do something.

The Future

Neo Member
I'm loving the game despite its obvious step up in difficulty relative to the other games, it's quite a challenge.

But, man is this is a glitch fest. I am now stuck at a part near the ending
just past the furnace, where you go up an elevator and then you have to heal the head of Apollo, after I use the stone the game freezes and doesn't play the cinematic, it lets me restart at the last checkpoint but the same thing happens all over again
Has this happened to anyone else? I don't think I've read about it.

I haven't downloaded the new patch, hopefully it fixes this.

Eh, I decided to continue despite the audio issues.

And wtf, I'm at the place where you get the
ice blade upgrade
and I'm struggling... the fact that enemies can hit you despite that you're hitting them is bs. I never liked this in any game, obviously if you're hitting something they couldn't just act like you aren't doing anything to them? I don't remember previous GOW games being this bad in that aspect.

Sorian

Banned
Eh, I decided to continue despite the audio issues.

And wtf, I'm at the place where you get the
ice blade upgrade
and I'm struggling... the fact that enemies can hit you despite that you're hitting them is bs. I never liked this in any game, obviously if you're hitting something they couldn't just act like you aren't doing anything to them? I don't remember previous GOW games being this bad in that aspect.

You'll do that exact same fight two more times after the ice blade part. It'll suck each time. I really don't have advice except for: get used to the fact that you won't finish a combo, get in one or two shots then roll away. Only go for a combo if they are just within striking range.

Edit: That was my experience on hard at least.

You'll do that exact same fight two more times after the ice blade part. It'll suck each time. I really don't have advice except for: get used to the fact that you won't finish a combo, get in one or two shots then roll away. Only go for a combo if they are just within striking range.

Edit: That was my experience on hard at least.

I'm playing on normal and was completely taken aback by it. However the
lightning blade upgrade
part went better. Figured out that grabbing with R1 makes it quite easy to finish / extend combos as it gives you invincibility while grabbing someone and throwing them gives great crowd/space control.

rdrr gnr

What are the numbers for mp then, what seems to be the average amount of people online at a time? Gutted I could not give the mp a go since I only rented the game, but I enjoyed the campaign so much I reckon I'll be buying it once it comes down a little. Would be nice if mp is still alive at that point. Do we feel like there's momentum that could be built here, or it's just something to be enjoyed before it dies out in the first month or so/is offered up on ps plus in a years time?
I think it will be a wasteland before Summer.

Top Bottom