• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Endo Punk

I don't think I can ever accept the prequels as canon. Im playing GOW1 again and it just seems like Kratos never went through the events of CoO and Ascension. Has there ever been a prequel that actually feels like it did occur, I can only think of MGS3 mainly because it was a different character.

Sigh, it would have been so good to actually play through the blood oaths than to be simply told again.

I don't think I can ever accept the prequels as canon. Im playing GOW1 again and it just never seems like Kratos never went through the events of CoO and Ascension. Has there ever been a prequel that actually feels like it did occur, I can only think of MGS3 mainly because it was a different character.

Sigh, it would have been so good to actually play through the blood oaths than to be simply told again.

That's a problem most prequels have, whether they're in the form of a movie, book, video game, etc. The fact is, there's a reason the original story was told in the time frame it was. That's where the story is. If the prequel story was so important it would have been told first.

Endo Punk

That's a problem most prequels have, whether they're in the form of a movie, book, video game, etc. The fact is, there's a reason the original story was told in the time frame it was. That's where the story is. If the prequel story was so important it would have been told first.

GOW1 defiinitely shows that Kratos has a very interesting history but shame we may never get to see Spartan General Kratos in an open world setting conquering cities. Now that game would be worth a numbered entry.

rdrr gnr

I don't think I can ever accept the prequels as canon. Im playing GOW1 again and it just seems like Kratos never went through the events of CoO and Ascension. Has there ever been a prequel that actually feels like it did occur, I can only think of MGS3 mainly because it was a different character.

It's why prequels fucking blow and are creatively bankrupt. Rarely is a prequel warranted. That's why games should front - load lore and back story so a prequel is more palpable.

BHK3

Banned
It's why prequels fucking blow and are creatively bankrupt. Rarely is a prequel warranted. That's why games should front - load lore and back story so a prequel is more palpable.

They are creatively bankrupt because the writers are bankrupt of intelligence, gears of war has the pendulum wars yet the new Gears game is about "everyones favorite character" baird. We have kratos' spartan past, yet we get 'Kratos goes on an adventure because he's not angry enough yet for their to be a plot'. Hell even Killzone has good lore and a interesting history yet the games just come off as good guy vs. bad guy. I can't think of any good prequels in recent years to be honest.

Just finished it.Wow the ending was awesome.Probably my favorite of all the games.Overall I loved it.The combat was great and the elemental blades were the best weapons in the series.The story was ok I guess.

Sorral

DMC3 perhaps?
I don't think they thought ahead of the sequels and prequels back when GoW1. Not much at least. Jaffe's original vision for GoW2 was very different from what we got. Also, if you compare how the Olympian gods in GoW1 look like to GoW3 and GoW:A, you will see a huge difference there between them. Most notably Hades.

BadAss2961

GOW1 defiinitely shows that Kratos has a very interesting history but shame we may never get to see Spartan General Kratos in an open world setting conquering cities. Now that game would be worth a numbered entry.
It probably would take the PS4 to properly pull off something like that. Every bit of the detail and more from the PS3 games, but with hundreds of NPCs on screen at a time to give the effect of war.

Mine too. Got to the last round and died on the last enemy. FUUUUUUUUCK! :(

The first round is the toughest. I sometimes manage to stay above more than a half of the HP bar, but mostly i'm getting raped.

I read Fire of Ares is the best weapon of choice. Is this right? I had more luck with Hades and Zeus. Especially the magic.

A big part of the trials is the Oroburos and Orkos magic. More specifically, any time you go in for a QTE battle on the gorgons, unleash the Orkos first - he'll mop up while you're doing battle (and while you're invincible). But you should always have one or both of those going, and ideally have them leveled up completely to max power (there's only one upgrade for each). Make sure you're anticipating their two hit strikes, and if you can, stun one of the sirens - that gets you into a stun cycle with the other sirens (and everyone else).

Ideally, the blades are fully leveled, Ares is fully leveled, and electricity is leveled (for max magic). I haven't done it with the other magics, but I imagine it would work similarly.

Like you said, after round one, things get a bit easier.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Add me to psn guys

CJ_SPARTA

need more god of war fans on my list lol :p

edit: Wonder if its worth replaying god of war 1 again? for anyone that has played the HD collection recently, has it aged well?

rdrr gnr

Add me to psn guys

CJ_SPARTA

edit: Wonder if its worth replaying god of war 1 again? for anyone that has played the HD collection recently, has it aged well?
In my opinion, yes. Balancing on the beams and the infamous blades section still suck -- but the game plays well.

Did the game glitch out for anyone else on the Apollo's Foot level? On the part where you are riding on a tram and have to fight off a bunch of harpies and then it just stops....I died like 4 times on this part because it would just stop so I had nowhere to go, I assumed you had to try and jump towards the hanging stack of bricks. Finally on the last time it finally kicked in with a cutscene where the kracken destroys the tram and a QTE where you grab onto the debris and climb back up. Not a huge deal but man, the lack of polish is just alarming coming from Studio Santa Monica.

Did the game glitch out for anyone else on the Apollo's Foot level? On the part where you are riding on a tram and have to fight off a bunch of harpies and then it just stops....I died like 4 times on this part because it would just stop so I had nowhere to go, I assumed you had to try and jump towards the hanging stack of bricks. Finally on the last time it finally kicked in with a cutscene where the kracken destroys the tram and a QTE where you grab onto the debris and climb back up. Not a huge deal but man, the lack of polish is just alarming coming from Studio Santa Monica.

I didn't have this specific problem, but your post reminded me of that specific section. Turns out you can one-hit-kill the harpies by grabbing them (using R1) and tossing them offscreen. I felt almost bad using this tactic.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Add me to psn guys

CJ_SPARTA

For me GoW is a timeless masterpiece, I can play the PS2 version and still enjoy it, in other words go ahead play it, enjoy it.

game is really delivering for me. I'm having a blast - just picked up the
hades
powerup and had to fight the wights. At this point in time, there seems to be an absolute lack of exposition - what with the
old weirdo + slaves sequence
and kratos is really not doing/saying much. which is peculiar/bad.

but its GOW and the combat is great. I love that you have to really try to keep the meter up to maximise the attack strength of the blades. It makes so much difference when the rage meter is full. the strategic side of combat probably makes this the best GOW yet.

surprised by the lack of spoiler tag use. :(

By the way, what happened to this ?

God-of-War-Ascension-Wallpaper-yuiphone-Water-1920x1080.png

I was expecting an underwater seabattle after E3 demo, it could've been awesome!

BadAss2961

game is really delivering for me. I'm having a blast - just picked up the
hades
powerup and had to fight the wights. At this point in time, there seems to be an absolute lack of exposition - what with the
old weirdo + slaves sequence
and kratos is really not doing/saying much. which is peculiar/bad.

but its GOW and the combat is great. I love that you have to really try to keep the meter up to maximise the attack strength of the blades. It makes so much difference when the rage meter is full. the strategic side of combat probably makes this the best GOW yet.

surprised by the lack of spoiler tag use. :(
The plot was pretty easy for me to follow, but a lot of things should become clearer when you replay the game.

The second time through, you should understand where Kratos is going and what he's doing, which is actually very simple.

You'll probably also notice little details that you missed regarding the time warps and such.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Thanks guys. Yup god of war 1 is still fucking awesome. Aside from the shitty compressed FMV this game has not aged at all!

Not GoW1 but I started the PSP HD collection for the first time after I beat Ascension, Chains of Olympus is okay, but I'm in the middle of Ghost of Sparta right now and so far it's very enjoyable, at least it has a story worthier of telling than Ascension's. And to imagine those epic battles existed on the PSP is pretty mind-blowing for me.

Helscream

Banned
Hey if anyone wants to play some Multiplayer send a friend request to me Helscream or Gibration. Our Gaf names are the same as our PSN ID.

BadAss2961

Somehow I have no audio issues outside of an occasional blip where everything goes silent for a second. It rarely happens though.

fixuis

Just got this game and ran into a weird problem. I have a slim ps3. Popped the disc in and the disc icon would not show up on the xmb. All other discs were working but not this one. Tried multiple times then decided to turn auto insert on, the ps3 detected the disc then and then i turned it off again and the disc has since been playing fine. Thought i'd put it out there in case someone else thinks their ps3 or disc is broken, it's not. Some other people have been having this issue as well and although i didn't use this method, you can try it as well:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/667703-god-of-war-ascension/65681167

Have not started playing yet but i wager I'm in for a real treat. All the previous games have been magnificent.

hamchan

I reached the final boss of Chains of Olympus on hard difficulty but every time I die to her I have to watch the unskippable cutscene before it. It annoyed me so much I put Ascension back in and now I'm playing on hard ><

I reached the final boss of Chains of Olympus on hard difficulty but every time I die to her I have to watch the unskippable cutscene before it. It annoyed me so much I put Ascension back in and now I'm playing on hard ><
Yeah you even get a trophy for rewatching that cutscene a few times. Keep spamming the L1+Triangle attack, she can't hit you that way, once you get past the first phrase, it reloads the checkpoint at the start of phrase 2 so you won't have to watch that cutscene again.

So I just finished this game today, and it is probably my second favorite GOW game, GOW2 being my favorite. The only thing that I would say is disappointing is the number of boss fights, but everything else I liked. I didn't even have an issue with the story, especially compared to the nonsense story in the third game.

Also, I used a surround sound set-up with the game and I didn't really have many sound issues besides the occasional sound drop (around 5 or 6 during my playthrough). Volume levels for everything were fine.

We're all waiting bro. I haven't even started.

Out of interest, out of the folk waiting, have you actually encountered sound issues? Or are you just waiting because other people said there have been sound issues. gonig through the thread it certainly seems there's more people who got on just fine with the sound (regardless of what you think of it's quality, I just mean bugs). Might be worth trying the first section at least to see if you're afflicted.

elbourreau

Playing Archimedes Trial right now........

Combat design is so fucked up, so broken. Small area, no "ennemies pattern" breaking moves, stupid gorgones attack range............. Absolutely ruins my run....

Fuck the combat designers, fuck the level designer.........

I was having a ball untill then, I think the game is great, but wtf at tis trial?

Thanks YouTube!! So handy on the mobile. My ps3 did hard lock during the following boss fight. Bleh!

Now it checking and restoring file systems zzz ... Wtf zzz

Playing the PSP HD collection reminds me why the experience of playing Ascension campaign feels a bit bland, I love those moments in the older games that make you go "Damn Kratos, you nasty!". Kratos does all sorts of unethical but hilarious action in those games, often forcing some innocents NPCs into becoming unwilling participants in his journey, you can't help but laugh at how much of an asshole he really is. I know Ascension was "aiming" to dig deeper into Kratos's past and reveal more of his personality, almost making him out to be a tragic hero, but in the end it turns out to be the same old "me so angry" and a very po-faced story that fails to deliver; at least the previous games know what they are and had some character defining moments that are entertaining and hilarious to watch.

Playing Archimedes Trial right now........

Combat design is so fucked up, so broken. Small area, no "ennemies pattern" breaking moves, stupid gorgones attack range............. Absolutely ruins my run....

Fuck the combat designers, fuck the level designer.........

I was having a ball untill then, I think the game is great, but wtf at tis trial?

Haha, it's not that bad, persevere. I only played on normal, but I did it on my second go, and tbh I think I just psyched myself out the first time, after all the hoopla. Just use your favourite blade type, use your double ability, the slowdown ability, grapple when you can, you'll get there. I think there's only 4 waves, it's not too long.

OSHAN

Out of interest, out of the folk waiting, have you actually encountered sound issues? Or are you just waiting because other people said there have been sound issues. gonig through the thread it certainly seems there's more people who got on just fine with the sound (regardless of what you think of it's quality, I just mean bugs). Might be worth trying the first section at least to see if you're afflicted.

Waiting on it here for the sound patch. Haven't played the retail release, but what's being described is exactly what I encountered in the demo.

So I decided to go through the game on my 3rd playthrough. This time on easy on NewGame + with the "cheats" turned on. What this is allowing me to do is actually play with the battle system. Something that was quite difficult to do normally, and I think this is primarily due to the Rage mode failing was you get hit once. So now it's affording me to really let loose with the game as see what I was missing first and second time around. And also doing moves I never knew existed or played around with enough originally.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I finished this with 2500 red orbs short of maxing everything out. Is there a way I can farm them without replaying the whole thing? The last few chapters were pretty sparse.

thabiz

still no audio fix. wtf? so happy i picked this up day one.

guess im trading this in for bioshock. hopefully i dont have to wait weeks before i can play that.

grendelrt

guess im trading this in for bioshock. hopefully i dont have to wait weeks before i can play that.

Yeah no kidding, my only hope is that they are really spending time fixing the sound instead of some quick fix that doesnt get everything. This is one of the longest times I have had to let a console game sit because it is broken on release (I have had worse on PC though lol).

Hanmik

hmm.. when I was playing yesterday (with my Sony 7.1 headset), the sounds seemed much meatier and I didn´t notice any missing sounds (the sound was set to 7.1 surround in options). I have noticed missing sounds earlier..
I did update my ps3 to Firmware 4.40.. and when I started GOW: Ascension the game looked for updates. I didn´t see if it found some but it took a little longer to start than usual.

thabiz

I tried to play it last night. got up to the temple, but just couldn't continue. i cant remember the last time a sound field was this barren.

Its disgusting, considering this was a problem with the beta.

hmm.. when I was playing yesterday (with my Sony 7.1 headset), the sounds seemed much meatier and I didn´t notice any missing sounds (the sound was set to 7.1 surround in options). I have noticed missing sounds earlier..
I did update my ps3 to Firmware 4.40.. and when I started GOW: Ascension the game looked for updates. I didn´t see if it found some but it took a little longer to start than usual.

I havent updated my firmware yet. will try that later.

anyone else seen an improvement after the fw update?

Huh.

Wasn't this game supposed to come with free PS Plus for a month or something? At least I'm sure that's what it said on the standard edition cover. I got the Collector's Edition and haven't seen anything pertaining to that inside mine. Pretty dumb :/

Top Bottom