• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Well after a month of playing the online and getting a Zeus/Broseidon to level 30... think I am officially done. My friends have stopped playing for the following reasons, and id rather not brave it alone, so ill quit too. I'd say skill wise im middle of the road, usually top or close to top of scorecard on my team, but definitely don't think im anything special.

This game was a blast the first couple weeks, people's fighting habits were aggressive, and everyone seemed to be out for casual fun and not playing to be cheap - But as most of the casuals stopped playing and people learned the cheapest tactics... the game's flaws really start to shine through.

Fighting people with bullshit magic/specials that can be spammed in the span of 3 seconds cooldown kind of ruins the fighting and skill of the game.

Ares dive bomber spamming (yay 2 second cooldown with right gear), Hades stealth escaping, Broseidon/Hades air evade spam, retarded ring-outs from 60 feet away, world weapon spamming overpoweredness, etc, etc.

Then theres the armor/cooldown reduction/killstreak combos that are literally a bane to contend with. Having +80% physical attack rating after getting a couple kills is just silly.

The magic/specials were cool at first, but totally get in the way of the purity of combat. A hard thing to balance, but when some attacks are unblockable & overpowering AND they require very little to no aim whatsoever... it's kind of fun/game breaking.

Then on top of it, if you do get a fair fight, the person will run away when losing and go for the health (which is always there). Health pools shouldn't be in the game. This really kills the action and puts large emphasis on avoiding combat and instead focusing on running to get health at every chance. Hell some specials can even be used as get outta jail free cards, to which they weren't intended to be.

The bugs and wtf moments don't exactly help either. Many specials or magics should kill enemies, but instead sometimes enemies will sit through your special/magic and take no damage (they arent even using item/escape!).

Sounds like a ton of bitching but I would seriously give this MP an 9/10 since I had an awesome, awesome time. But in the long term for a more casual experience I don't think this community will last and will consist of only diehards that play for keeps and do the lamest shit to win.

I might give the game another go sometime in the future for updates/DLC... but for now I'm just gunna put it to the side. Loved it to pieces for being different, but these things just bug me every other game. It's not worth the headaches and I don't feel like playing solo.

I don't think there is any cool down for magic which is annoying, since anyone can wait till they get enough for two magics to be spammed back to back and pretty much guarantee winning the fight. Also death streak rage mode blades shouldn't be in the game.

I don't think there is any cool down for magic which is annoying, since anyone can wait till they get enough for two magics to be spammed back to back and pretty much guarantee winning the fight. Also death streak rage mode blades shouldn't be in the game.

Forgot about those deathstreak chains... yes plz go away.

Magic 2x spam is OP and silly, and yes there is no cooldown (trust me, im a Zeus player). Consider too, the mana pools are on too fast of a respawn timer... makes for easy spamming. Hard to balance further because some classes are more reliant on it to fight. The magic system couldve been worked in better.

For cooldown special attacks, some characters can reuse annoying specials within seconds with just a couple pieces of armour with cooldown reduction. For example: Ares bomber spam (what I call it) annoys me to all hell since the special is by nature impossible to stop him from doing. The character jumps up in the air and lands back down, can't interrupt it because hes not on screen! And with the right armour, you can redo it every 4 seconds :/

TEH-CJ

Banned
Well after a month of playing the online and getting a Zeus/Broseidon to level 30... think I am officially done. My friends have stopped playing for the following reasons, and id rather not brave it alone, so ill quit too. I'd say skill wise im middle of the road, usually top or close to top of scorecard on my team, but definitely don't think im anything special.

This game was a blast the first couple weeks, people's fighting habits were aggressive, and everyone seemed to be out for casual fun and not playing to be cheap - But as most of the casuals stopped playing and people learned the cheapest tactics... the game's flaws really start to shine through.

Fighting people with bullshit magic/specials that can be spammed in the span of 3 seconds cooldown kind of ruins the fighting and skill of the game.

Ares dive bomber spamming (yay 2 second cooldown with right gear), Hades stealth escaping, Broseidon/Hades air evade spam, retarded ring-outs from 60 feet away, world weapon spamming overpoweredness, etc, etc.

Then theres the armor/cooldown reduction/killstreak combos that are literally a bane to contend with. Having +80% physical attack rating after getting a couple kills is just silly.

The magic/specials were cool at first, but totally get in the way of the purity of combat. A hard thing to balance, but when some attacks are unblockable & overpowering AND they require very little to no aim whatsoever... it's kind of fun/game breaking.

Then on top of it, if you do get a fair fight, the person will run away when losing and go for the health (which is always there). Health pools shouldn't be in the game. This really kills the action and puts large emphasis on avoiding combat and instead focusing on running to get health at every chance. Hell some specials can even be used as get outta jail free cards, to which they weren't intended to be.

The bugs and wtf moments don't exactly help either. Many specials or magics should kill enemies, but instead sometimes enemies will sit through your special/magic and take no damage (they arent even using item/escape!).

Sounds like a ton of bitching but I would seriously give this MP an 9/10 since I had an awesome, awesome time. But in the long term for a more casual experience I don't think this community will last and will consist of only diehards that play for keeps and do the lamest shit to win.

I might give the game another go sometime in the future for updates/DLC... but for now I'm just gunna put it to the side. Loved it to pieces for being different, but these things just bug me every other game. It's not worth the headaches and I don't feel like playing solo.

My sentiments exactly. I am done with this multiplayer. Too many cheap and frustrating shit that happens.

I was playing against some dude today that would constantly run everytime he would face me and end up winning by being using cheap tactics and going for the health. That tipped it off the edge for me, and the constant glitches and tether bug doesn't help either

Its been a month with no real substantial update and it could be another couple of weeks until we get the next patch. Too little too late I'm afraid, and I think most people would of have moved on by then.

Still I had decent amount of fun playing with some fellow Gaffers and friends. I just feel it doesn't have the lasting appeal for the more hardcore players.

my 2 cents.

Nazgul11

I can't talk about the multiplayer and I admit I only rented the game for now but the single player is awesome...I only did Judgement and yes it's more of the same but man is it fun...and I like the new Cadet Sofia,she looks great and had some great one liners.... ''Permission to call him an asshole,sir..''

Uhh...

Wrong GoW? ;P

Draper

I can't talk about the multiplayer and I admit I only rented the game for now but the single player is awesome...I only did Judgement and yes it's more of the same but man is it fun...and I like the new Cadet Sofia,she looks great and had some great one liners.... ''Permission to call him an asshole,sir..''

My memory must be terrible.

BadAss2961

My sentiments exactly. I am done with this multiplayer. Too many cheap and frustrating shit that happens.

I was playing against some dude today that would constantly run everytime he would face me and end up winning by being using cheap tactics and going for the health. That tipped it off the edge for me, and the constant glitches and tether bug doesn't help either

Its been a month with no real substantial update and it could be another couple of weeks until we get the next patch. Too little too late I'm afraid, and I think most people would of have moved on by then.

Still I had decent amount of fun playing with some fellow Gaffers and friends. I just feel it doesn't have the lasting appeal for the more hardcore players.

my 2 cents.
You guys would hate me. I've become pretty good at running.

You have to anticipate when someone might run. That's what tether and certain magic attacks are for.

Mostly every online MP boils down to a little cheesing once people start getting good and the casuals start thinning out. You gotta be able to adapt and have some cheese of your own.

Also when you get an enemy in a combo, try to shift yourself so you have your back to the quickest path to health, that way if the enemy tries to make a break for it you are in a better position to grapple him.

Majmun

Got this one for cheap yesterday. One of my friends is selling his Ps3 and its games to save up for a Ps4. Poor burger flipper. But I got a great deal out of his situation. Bought this game for only €20.

Anyway. I have finished all of the GoW games so far, except for that cellphone game, and I've enjoyed them all. But I thought that GoW III was a bit disappointing so I was not really looking forward to Ascention. That's why I didn't bought it day one.

But I have to say that the game is great. It has the best gameplay imo, and DEFINITELY the best visuals. Just HOW are these graphics possible on 2006 hardware? It's just mindboggling how good and how clean the game looks.

The only thing I haven't liked so far is how far the camera pans out during some battles. I just can't see what's going on and have died a few times because I didn't know where exactly Kratos was lol. But everything else has been great so far.

Damn I just can't beat the trials of archimedes...the battle is too fucking hard! Especially when the two electric sirens show up with the Medusa's. I have already tried 4 or 5 times :/

tips plz?

The general consensus is get them all close together and spam your magic. I don't know what is generally viewed as the most powerful magic, but I used the Zeus one. Also I'm fairly certain you can kick some of the smaller enemies off the edge like those electric sirens, I know I did though I wasn't aiming for it, was more of a fluke thing where they got knocked back while I was fighting someone else.

The general consensus is get them all close together and spam your magic. I don't know what is generally viewed as the most powerful magic, but I used the Zeus one. Also I'm fairly certain you can knock some of the smaller enemies off the edge like those electric sirens, I know I did though I wasn't attempting to do that.

surely this is the hardest battle in GoW history?! I don't remember any of the other gow games having insane difficulty spikes

Mik_Pad

Banned
Damn I just can't beat the trials of archimedes...the battle is too fucking hard! Especially when the two electric sirens show up with the Medusa's. I have already tried 4 or 5 times :/

tips plz?
Focus on using magic and then replenish it with brutal kills since both of them generate magic and don't forget to use your artifacts specially
the amulet to freeze an enemy so you can focus on the rest.

surely this is the hardest battle in GoW history?! I don't remember any of the other gow games having insane difficulty spikes
There is that similar scene near the end of GoW II where you must fight wave after wave after wave of enemies with invisible walls blocking you in each round. Though I would rank the Trials harder than that.

Focus on using magic and then replenish it with brutal kills since both of them generate magic and don't forget to use your artifacts specially
k i will try this

I was playing it last night and I was wondering if Jaffe managed to beat this game...he hasn't said a thing about it so far, which is surprising.

Oh absolutely don't forget this, you need to call these in the second their cool down timers reach 0 every time. And don't forget L2+O, it's a pretty strong attack and you pretty much only have access to it for this one scene.

Mik_Pad

Banned
There is that similar scene near the end of GoW II where you must fight wave after wave after wave of enemies with invisible walls blocking you in each round. Though I would rank the Trials harder than that.
For me it was a section in CoO in hard difficulty were you fought a bunch of the big green armored warriors and then moved to another section were you fought another set without any chests nearby.

Oh absolutely don't forget this, you need to call these in the second their cool down timers reach 0 every time. And don't forget L2+O, it's a pretty strong attack and you pretty much only have access to it for this one scene.

yea I was spamming the slowdown orb every chance I got, that battle is too much though

OSHAN

tips plz?

I just used Ares' magic for the battle.

Use the amulet and the oath stone as soon as they pop. Never fail to trigger them.

Kite enemies around and get them in a circle, smash them with Ares' magic.

Use brutal kills to replenish your magic.

Attack when you can, use quick strikes, evade, wait for rage to get to 100%, square square triangle if you can, just triangle if you can't, Ares explosion.

Repeat steps.

Mik_Pad

Banned
k i will try this

I was playing it last night and I was wondering if Jaffe managed to beat this game...he hasn't said a thing about it so far, which is surprising.
I asked him over twitter the other day and he said he wanted to finish Tomb Raider first, apparently he loves TR alot.

I just used Ares' magic for the battle.

Use the amulet and the oath stone as soon as they pop. Never fail to trigger them.

Kite enemies around and get them in a circle, smash them with Ares' magic.

Use brutal kills to replenish your magic.

Attack when you can, use quick strikes, evade, wait for rage to get to 100%, square square triangle if you can, just triangle if you can't, Ares explosion.

Repeat steps.

all right thnx, I will try it again tonight

I asked him over twitter the other day and he said he wanted to finish Tomb Raider first, apparently he loves TR alot.

strange...

Draper

Off topic but which PSP game is the revered one? Bought the collection, just finished gow 3, now im trying to decide which one to play next.

Mario007

Off topic but which PSP game is the revered one? Bought the collection, just finished gow 3, now im trying to decide which one to play next.
Ghost of Spata, probably the best game in series, GoW3 beats it for me only because of the epic scale of the game. CoO is also good, though it's more of a standalone story that uses a lot battle mechanics from GoW1 and Gow2. It has a nice Kratos moment though.

Toppot

Ghost of Sparta is the best PSP one, CoO is still good but GoS is a step up. I'd probably play CoO so you can appreciate it for what it is, then play GoS and appreciate the improvement.

Draper

Ghost of Sparta is the best PSP one, CoO is still good but GoS is a step up. I'd probably play CoO so you can appreciate it for what it is, then play GoS and appreciate the improvement.

Hm, interesting suggestion. Okay. I'll do just that. Thanks guys.

Oh god I feel dumb. I went through the whole game wondering what the hell was up with the broken chests. I earned a random trophy just now and went to check out what it was, and happened to see the gold for reconstructing the chests and let out an audible OOOOOOHHHH. Well fuck

Loudninja

Over the last few days we've been continuing to make marked improvements to our online servers based on specific data and trends we've been analyzing by the hour. We understand in days past there have been infrequent times where getting into a match may take longer than expected, longer than we'd like you to wait. Improving our online matchmaking has been amongst our highest priorities, along with finalizing testing on our next Patch 1.04 which includes the Elite Levels update.

As of right now, we're hopeful your match-making search times have improved. A few
things we have done to help this:
  • The countdown timer for all game modes has been reduced to 10 seconds. You may not quit out the lobby once the timer has begun (and please do not quit during the match or face the angry wrath of the Gods!)
  • You still have 60 seconds between each round to adjust your loudout, before the 10 second countdown timer begins leading to the match.
  • Fixed a bug where party-matching was getting stuck in the lobby

As a result of these changes, and other server side improvements, you should be getting into matches quicker.

Please let us know any of the following:

Are you getting into matches quicker?
Are you seeing less "kick outs"?
Does Party Mode feel improved?
http://community.us.playstation.com...rovement-Update/td-p/40103217/highlight/false

Gandara

Oh god I feel dumb. I went through the whole game wondering what the hell was up with the broken chests. I earned a random trophy just now and went to check out what it was, and happened to see the gold for reconstructing the chests and let out an audible OOOOOOHHHH. Well fuck

Well if it makes you feel any better, I knew about them but got them all except for the one at the very beginning after I looked at faqs after completing the game. So I had to replay ch 13 -19 again. Wasn't too bad since it went by quickly. It is really easy to get the trophies in this game.

Just finished up the single player portion of the game on normal difficulty. Had a great time.

One thing I will say is the Challenge of Archimedes didn't seem overly difficult, in fact I did it first time without dying. I'm not sure if they patched it to make it easier since launch, but with all the controversy flying around I was absolutely dreading getting there, and it wasn't really that taxing. Just block, parry and be methodical.

Anyway the game seemed like others have said to lack polish sound wise. Sometimes there would be very little background audio during cutscenes, out of sync audio here and there and audio drop out on occasion. That was my biggest gripe with the game to be fair.

Combat was very good. Far more depth than the previous games, and felt more like a 'proper' action game rather than a button masher. It started off feeling worse though, about half way into the game when I had really upgraded my skills things just clicked and felt really good.

Music wasn't as diverse as previous God of War games, but the music that was there was very well done and the main boss theme used at the beginning and end was incredible. Vetry rousing and impactful.

Graphically things looked very nice. Environments were varied, lighting was really impressive, the AA was unbelievable for a console game - almost no jaggies. I think this game will still look impressive early into next gen and maybe even more impressive than some early next gen titles. The last boss is one of the most unbelievably mind blowing things I have ever witnessed in a game.

It was a decent length too and would work even in the absence of multiplayer. The puzzles were quite well planned out and one or two took a little while to work out, which I wasn't expecting from a GOW title.

I won't score it, instead I'll rate it alongside the other GOW games I have played. Best to worst.

God of War 2
God of War 3
God of War Ascension
God of War 1

*One thing I was thinking during certain sequences of this game was "what the hell are SSM going to be able to pull off on PS4 if they can get visuals like these running on a 7 year old piece of hardware?!".

OSHAN

One thing I will say is the Challenge of Archimedes didn't seem overly difficult, in fact I did it first time without dying. I'm not sure if they patched it to make it easier since launch, but with all the controversy flying around I was absolutely dreading getting there, and it wasn't really that taxing. Just block, parry and be methodical.
".

They patched in health orbs after each segment. I think everything else remained the same.

They patched in health orbs after each segment. I think everything else remained the same.

I did notice I seemed to gain about 25% health back each time the platform moved up a level, and I remember hearing that there were no health orbs, which is why I asked. I finished the sequence with only a small amount of health so I imagine if none was given back at all it would have been brutal.

Loudninja

Patch for what? For sound I hope, it's a broken mess...

But is there anything else noteworthy that is getting patched?
Some of the stuff thats in the next patch
We are very aware of the audio drop issues many have been experiencing. This was a critical fix for this update, as a powerful and immersive audio mix is a tremendous part of the God of War experience. We apologize again for those impacted — now you’ll be able to better enjoy our sound team’s painstaking efforts.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/04/04/god-of-war-ascension-update-brings-new-features-and-fixes/

phierce

I still can't get past the trials of Archimedes , the second phase is pretty hard since the camera angle is so bad :(
A quick search found this (http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/god-war-ascension/192088-trial-archimedes-complete-walkthrough.html) strategy which seems to really help those who are stuck.

I haven't played GoW:A since the first week it was out, and when I did, I didn't have any trouble with the trials on hard. However, since it's been about a month, I didn't want to try and tell you how to do it based on my personal account.

I really hope the link helps you beat it because the ending is pretty epic.

firen

tips plz?

I'm not sure if you beat it yet but I JUST beat this the other day.

Tips.

Stage 1 (HARDEST)
When the first two gorgons come out, use Amulet of Uroborus on one of them and focus on the other one using Hades blades. Make sure, as much as possible, you can build up the rage meter and use that. Also, try to get them BOTH at the RED indicator before killing them. Make sure you dont do the minigame, just destroy them with your standard blades.

Then when the sirens come out, use Amulet of Uroborus in combination with Oath Stone of Orkos (Make sure both items are maxed out). Then keep rolling, hitting and using magic. I pretty much used all of my magic.

Stage 2 (HARD)
This is hard only in the beginning when your fighting the two female enemies, just grab the birds and throw it at them so they can't ride it and spam the Orkos/Uroborus amulets. Once they're gone and the big dude comes out all I did was use Uroborus to slow him down adn Orkos to fight him. I didn't hit him myself, I just avoided the fire and let me 'double' do the work.

Stage 3 (Not so hard)
At this stage, you should have decent amount of health (1/2 or so) and some magic. Just use the same strat for the Stage 1. Use the Urborus to slow down, hit the horse guy to build up your rage meter. Spam rage meter, slow down, hit...and so on. Then when the second set come out, you use use all of your magic and spam the Uroborus again.

Hope all of that makes sense.

This is by far the buggiest God Of War game. Multiple times in single player I've come to parts the camera wont move and I get stuck in the environment or fall through it. Also the water wheel puzzle where u can heal and destroy was super sloppy design.

I have yet to beat it but I'm close, this is by far the worst single player god of war out them all. The story is a mess (it starts in present goes back for no reason then comes back hours later to the start of the game...) the action set pieces aren't as good as 3 (or 2 for that matter) and it just seems really unpolished.

I have yet to try the multiplayer (cause its not really my thing) but I can say without a doubt this is a sad entry to the GOW series for single player.

TEH-CJ

Banned
This is by far the buggiest God Of War game. Multiple times in single player I've come to parts the camera wont move and I get stuck in the environment or fall through it. Also the water wheel puzzle where u can heal and destroy was super sloppy design.

I have yet to beat it but I'm close, this is by far the worst single player god of war out them all. The story is a mess (it starts in present goes back for no reason then comes back hours later to the start of the game...) the action set pieces aren't as good as 3 (or 2 for that matter) and it just seems really unpolished.

I have yet to try the multiplayer (cause its not really my thing) but I can say without a doubt this is a sad entry to the GOW series for single player.

Yeah the single player is really forgettable.

the ending is awesome though.

Drencrom

I just want to play the singleplayer already, where's the fucking audio patch?

Seriously, fuck you for putting out the game in this state SSM, so disappointed that they half assed it when it came to QA. The GoW titles are usually very polished. They better not pull this shit with their next title.

/rant

Top Bottom