• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Jacob4815

It would have been perfect as the intro,that shit and the cut final boss battle of GoW 3 should be free DLC or hell SSM should make a 'super sigma' version of GoW:A and GoW:3 with added SP content and better storylines.

I hope they can read the ideas of the fans... and I hope for a "director's cut" of Ascension!

Please SSM.. you will have my money!!!

Sid

A director's cut with enhanced graphic at the PS4 launch, packaging with a demo of the new IP from Stig Asmussen, would be a great idea and a smart move!
This game has been received unfavorably by both the fans and the critics alike compared to the other SSM GoWs so a director's cut makes a lot of sense but still let's not forget that this is Sony and when dealing with them common sense goes out the window.

OSHAN

Beat it on Hard over the weekend. I really think the combat shines once you focus on the Rage meter.

I think Ascension focuses on crowd control far more than any previous installment, and the focus to build Rage as soon as possible makes for some exciting combat. Once your Rage meter is full, Kratos is practically unstoppable. I rarely found myself blocking, instead opting for evades and well-timed parries on some of the more telegraphed attacks.

The elemental powers are great, and being able to switch between them mid-combo is a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I found myself completely ignoring the world weapons, since they don't build rage. They can be powerful, but I just wanted that meter filled, to get to the good stuff.

I'm loving how - as far as weapons go - stats are not the key decider. For instance, I'm using the Maul of Poseidon currently which has worse stats than several other weapons I have access to, but the specials more than make up for that.

I only wish there was something similar with the armors. I know everything has it's trade off but it still seems like some are flat out better than others and most the time all you ever see are people in their allegiance armor. Perhaps some non-stat buffs like maybe if you're wearing armor X and do action Y you get a temporary increase attribute Z, or even non attribute stats like a speed buff or temporary invincibility. Yeah that's probably throwing a little too many variables and such but you get the point. It's a shame when there's some really cool looking armor but it is no good.

Nizz

So I just got to the Trial of Alchimedes section. Yeah.... Is it just me or is this game harder than past GOW games on normal?

I think it's a combination of being a little harder, enemies ganging up on you more often and losing track of Kratos in all the chaos.

Also, is anyone else having problems with the disc itself? Sometimes I'll turn my PS3 on and I know the disc is inside yet it won't boot/show up in the XMB menu. I have to eject the disc and put it back in once, maybe twice until it finally shows up in the XMB.

I also saw a part yesterday where I was taking on a bunch of enemies and the world/environment dropped out of sight for like 2-3 seconds. With the occasional glitches and maybe bad manufacturing/pressing of the disc it's really surprising and something I just don't expect from SSM games. :/

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm a little further than I was previously, around chapter 11 I think I last saw pop up, but I think I can definitely say this is the least enjoyable GoW game I have played, not that it is awful, just full of silly annoying things that build up as you go along.

Is there some trick to dodging I don't know about, in chapter 11 I was fighting some
Statue Hammer Fire guys and for the life of my I couldn't dodge their attacks, I'd hit them a few times but then they would do their pounding move that would send fire up from the floor, I tried dodging but while the first one missed Kratos just takes that extra second after a dodge and I get hit by the next few attacks.

The way this is going I think this is one God of War game I wont be doing on Hard, not because it is overly difficult as I have only died mid battle once, but just being annoyingly frustrated over and over again with silly stuff; I've died more from some silly platforming section that doesn't quite work right for me than anything else so far.

JJcao

Neo Member
I ended up buying the game, I am near the end and IMO I think it's an awesome game even better then gow 3 in some case like the combat tweak which feel very rewarding, puzzle is very well done and fun, the graphic is on par with gow 3 or even better in some area like the use of color and special effect through out the game, overall very consistent. Very fun fun game *_*

Grisby

Finished. (spoiler joke about the last boss)
Resistance called and wanted their monster back!

Nah, I'm joking. That was a heck of a last level encounter and the story ending was pretty good as well. Heck of a lot better than 3's ending thats for damn sure.

The game had some good moments and was a lot better than I expected it to be. The combat and the different elements didn't gel well for me and I felt like the enemies just loved blocking all of my attacks. While I appreciate trying something new with the combat system I miss using some of the old different weapons. It wasn't terrible or anything but nothing completely engaging either. Puzzles and stuff were pretty well done and I never got tired of reconstructing those structures. The pacing felt a bit off though and I feel like the game just doesn't flow as well as 1,2, or even Ghost of Sparta.

Graphics were fantastic and I enjoyed being out in the sunshine for the last third of the game or so. Wasn't much music to comment on really.

Also, I had to restart at the beginning of a chapter twice in the game and had to reload another checkpoint just because prompts wouldn't show up or I lost the ability to jump. Most bugs I've ever had in a God of War game.

A decent game for the end of the series. Kudos to Sony Santa Monica.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Beat it on Hard over the weekend. I really think the combat shines once you focus on the Rage meter.

I think Ascension focuses on crowd control far more than any previous installment, and the focus to build Rage as soon as possible makes for some exciting combat. Once your Rage meter is full, Kratos is practically unstoppable. I rarely found myself blocking, instead opting for evades and well-timed parries on some of the more telegraphed attacks.

The elemental powers are great, and being able to switch between them mid-combo is a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I found myself completely ignoring the world weapons, since they don't build rage. They can be powerful, but I just wanted that meter filled, to get to the good stuff.

I completely agree with you, I think if you don't focus on the rage meter you aren't going to enjoy the as much, since the combat is built around it and the game is more difficult when you don't have your rage meter full, when you fill it all your focus shift to maintain it and wreck chaos to the enemy.
I have said this before but I LOVE using the electricity and perform the ground pound with Square,Square,Triangle just to see and hear the thunder.
I'm currently playing my Hard play through and I'm enjoying way more the combat since I am more focused in dodging so I can build the rage meter.
While Ascension clearly isn't the best GoW I think it has the best combat design yet, but I still miss the Namean Cestus.

darkwing

Searching For Match...
Searching For Match...
Searching For Match...
Searching For Match...
Searching For Match...
Searching For Match...
Waiting For Players

Players Ready 5
Players Ready 4
Searching For Match...

#@$!?@$

BadAss2961

Is there some trick to dodging I don't know about, in chapter 11 I was fighting some
Statue Hammer Fire guys and for the life of my I couldn't dodge their attacks, I'd hit them a few times but then they would do their pounding move that would send fire up from the floor, I tried dodging but while the first one missed Kratos just takes that extra second after a dodge and I get hit by the next few attacks.
For the pounding move, just run around while they're setting that up. When they telegraph their landing, roll out of the way. It's simple to dodge once you get the timing down.

TDSpartan

Neo Member
I think the multiplayer is a tremendous success, the first AAA hack and slash multiplayer... but it still can be improved.

- Deathstreaks.... cut that shit out. You don't deserve a "win" button if you play poorly. When someone pops this you gotta run away and hope they aren't smart enough to grapple you, surrendering tactical advantage in the process ( Chalice, Altar, Catapult/ Spear of Olympus etc)

-Too many useless sets of armour. I'm sorry but why the fuck would anyone use the cyclops set? You can get similar HP from other armour... plus a heap of other stats. It is useless.... same for the griffin armour... and most non allegiance amour. If you like how the piece looks, it's basically a handicap to wear it. Give us more options and more build variety. I run around in full Artemis set as Poisedon, more of that.

-Private matches with full customisation. Right now we are at the mercy of the matchmaking, gives us options to make our own private match and set up the map, mode, fountains WW etc off or on. Also put a player count on there... I have NFI how many people are on.

I personally also think that WW and ring outs need to be toned down slightly.

It's still my favourite multiplayer this gen, a fantastic first step. Unique, fun.. a breath of fresh air. Finally someone stepped up to the plate.

I think the multiplayer is a tremendous success, the first AAA hack and slash multiplayer... but it still can be improved.

- Deathstreaks.... cut that shit out. You don't deserve a "win" button if you play poorly. When someone pops this you gotta run away and hope they aren't smart enough to grapple you, surrendering tactical advantage in the process ( Chalice, Altar, Catapult/ Spear of Olympus etc)

-Too many useless sets of armour. I'm sorry but why the fuck would anyone use the cyclops set? You can get similar HP from other armour... plus a heap of other stats. It is useless.... same for the griffin armour... and most non allegiance amour. If you like how the piece looks, it's basically a handicap to wear it. Give us more options and more build variety. I run around in full Artemis set as Poisedon, more of that.

-Private matches with full customisation. Right now we are at the mercy of the matchmaking, gives us options to make our own private match and set up the map, mode, fountains WW etc off or on. Also put a player count on there... I have NFI how many people are on.

I personally also think that WW and ring outs need to be toned down slightly.

It's still my favourite multiplayer this gen, a fantastic first step. Unique, fun.. a breath of fresh air. Finally someone stepped up to the plate.
Agree with the armor. Cyclops is useless along with a few others.

What would be cool is if there were some bonus for armor sets, perhaps requiring you to wear a full set. Like if you are wearing full Griffin then have all specials instantly cool down after a kill/kill streak, if wearing full Medusa armor and you get a kill streak or whatever requirement have it give you a gorgon head, stuff like that. It's one of the things I like about the weapons, even with weaker stats some have good enough abilities to make them worth it.

As far as the Artemis armor goes, that's sort of in the class of second-class armor that's good if you are using a god that doesn't specialize in that area. So if you wanted to use the Sword of Poseidon offensively but can't use the best attack armor which is Ares specific, the Artemis fills the role. The Griffin armor is good if you really want to spam some non-Hades weapon's special (though there's better options still). Or a combo I like, Manticore armor on Zues since he has that magic generation when under 20 hp, gives you enough damage resistance so you are not a one hit kill at that point. Let someone get you down to the threshold and call in thunderstorms all day long!

Another thing I would like to see added is the option to switch equipment during a match between respawns. The Medusa armor can be pretty useful if there are a lot of magic users on the other team, but I'm not going to wear it and hope that's who my opponents are then get stuck with it against a bunch of Ares the whole match.

Fully agree on custom matches.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I think adding more modes like Team Favour Of The Gods would be neat. I can't really be bothered finishing the SP because i am so addicted to this, but it needs more variety with extra maps or differing objectives. The map specific objectives are great and it would be great to see more of them.

Jigolo

I've actually stopped playing this game since I've been waiting for the sound patch. Only MP. But damn, I missed 2x XP this weekend. :/

darkwing

I think adding more modes like Team Favour Of The Gods would be neat. I can't really be bothered finishing the SP because i am so addicted to this, but it needs more variety with extra maps or differing objectives. The map specific objectives are great and it would be great to see more of them.

haven't touched the SP because of the MP, breath of fresh air

still haven't touched single player because I'm waiting for the sound patch, almost level 30 with my Ares build. An word if they'll increase the cap above 30 in a future patch?

I'm up if anyone is going to set something up. PSN id is the same. This has quickly become one of my all time favorite multiplayers. Really hope it lives on past this iteration.

BadAss2961

Will do when I either get a new PS3 or get my fat fixed.
Cool.
I'm up if anyone is going to set something up. PSN id is the same. This has quickly become one of my all time favorite multiplayers. Really hope it lives on past this iteration.
I'm down for multiplayer anytime as well. Maxed out my Ares champion and am now leveling Zeus.

CelticKennedy on PSN

Sent friend requests to both you guys.

ID is in my profile for anyone interested.

You know, after beating the game essentially twice, and playing multiple hours of online, I'd have to say...

7.5 / 10

Want to like this more, and really, the single player was a total blast, as is the multiplayer gameplay. My main gripe is the amount of glitches in the campaign and the broken matchmaking. Everything feels slightly rushed, along with a matchmaking system that maybe only works when there are more players.

I've been trying to play a match for the past hour and when I finally get into a game, its 3 vs 3 Favor of the Gods and half way through the game my two teammates bailed. This is sort of how I feel the treatment of the promotion and marketing of Ascension has been too.

While I like the live-action short that was produced, it was not used very well as a commercial spot. It's just really awkward seeing bits and pieces from the already short form video and with the song all cut up. They should have stuck to gameplay and cut-scenes to market it.

Edit - Also, still a bit pissed that I was there on launch day for the game and a week later GameStop was offering the game with every other God of War title thrown in for free.

BadAss2961

I've been trying to play a match for the past hour and when I finally get into a game, its 3 vs 3 Favor of the Gods and half way through the game my two teammates bailed. This is sort of how I feel the treatment of the promotion and marketing of Ascension has been too.
Really? Maybe it depends on region.

I play nothing but 4v4 Favor of the Gods, and usually find games within a couple minutes. Even less time once I latch onto a server/rotation and stay put -- then it just becomes a matter of waiting for other players to lineup for a 3v3 or 4v4 game. Though there are some grievers that leave with seconds left on the countdown which results in another wait.

I usually didn't even have enough time to think about upgrades, armor changes and whatnot between rounds before I maxed my Ares.

Got past the trials last night, this is seriously becoming one of my favorite GoWs. The first half of the game was middling to average but once the Snakes of Delphi gets reached it becomes awesome. Not really jumped into multi yet but soon...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got past the trials last night, this is seriously becoming one of my favorite GoWs. The first half of the game was middling to average but once the Snakes of Delphi gets reached it becomes awesome. Not really jumped into multi yet but soon...

Yeah, once you get to that point the game really switches to a higher gear. Beat it on hard a few days ago and it was fun playing through it again. The sound issues were really unfortunate, made the game seem less polished. Overall though I'd still rank it among the best in the series, together with II and GoS.
Haven't touched the mp yet, dunno, somehow it doesn't interest me.

rCIZZLE

I stopped playing this around chapter 9 or so and just picked it up again yesterday. The gameplay is definitely getting better and there's even a decent story forming. Slow start but now I'm starting to really enjoy it.

KalBalboa

Banned
I want to say I'm half way through now. Some thoughts:

The Good:
  • The combat is the best in the series in some aspects. I have tons of options at all times and that feels good.
  • Manually grabbing an emey and deciding to either hit the chained enemy, throw it at another foe, or to simply hold it at bay while attacking others is awesome.
  • The "big encounters" do a good job with back-and-forth moments, thanks to the dodging/attacking minigame that feels akin to a boxing match.
  • The visuals are the best in the series on a technical level. Kratos himself looks incredible.
  • A few choice moments really show off some strong acting & voice work.

The Bad:
  • The story: there's basically no motivation until an hour and a half into the game. It's clear the "plot" was restructured in order to amp up the opening scene at the expense of plotting.
  • The sound work comes and goes. Some moments are delayed, others simply lack "oomph."
  • The platforming, while improved in a very Uncharted manor, fails when it comes to the simply jumping and moving. Having just played Jak & Daxter HD, it's frustrating to find I'm only dying when I jump somewhere I assumed was safe, etc.

bridegur

GOW3 had some rough edges, but I feel like Ascension is the first game in the series to feel legitimately sloppy. I'm only a couple hours in and it already seems like a big step down as far as balance and playability.

rdrr gnr

Really? Maybe it depends on region.

I play nothing but 4v4 Favor of the Gods, and usually find games within a couple minutes. Even less time once I latch onto a server/rotation and stay put -- then it just becomes a matter of waiting for other players to lineup for a 3v3 or 4v4 game. Though there are some grievers that leave with seconds left on the countdown which results in another wait.

I usually didn't even have enough time to think about upgrades, armor changes and whatnot between rounds before I maxed my Ares.
A couple of minutes is absurd. I hope people understand this. 60 seconds is pushing it -- and that's not including the match countdown. And your experience is not the norm. I live in California. 3 v 3 Favor is more common than 4 v 4 Favor. And those aren't always grievers -- that's the match-making on occasion. When there is a lobby of 7 and it begins to countdown -- it'll count down to 0 and kick a non-party player at the last second so the game is balanced. So one person gets fucked and wastes their time. And if you're in a party of four -- one of your buddies is going to steam-rolled by your entire squad if the lobby is less than full. What the fuck is point of a party system if you are going to split us up.

Top Bottom