• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection (Vita) |OT| Kratos in yo pocket at upscaled 544p

Dugna

So just noticed this but, they made this game even easier on the Vita. Went against the hydra in the PS3 version of GoW1 and button prompts took longer and certain enemies take more dmg. Vita just goes by like nothing, Both Spartan difficulty.

rjc571

Banned
Again: the Vita ≠ PS4 in terms of power, so I expect different performance and visuals from each.

The Vita gives me access to portable versions of these games, too, and the hardware costs roughly half that of the PS4. Getting trophies, portability, widescreen visuals, and cross-buy access to the PS3 versions is enough of a trade off for something like 30 FPS, not to mention the fact it's all for $30 at full price.

The Vita doesn't need to be a PS4 to run a port of a PS2 game at its original framerate. The fact that its performance isn't up to the standards of the original game, which was running on far less powerful hardware, shows that it's not a very good port. The PS3 version already had trophies and even the PS2 game ran in widescreen, so portability is really the only reason to pick this up. But I'd rather not support low-effort port jobs like this, even if it's technically "playable" at 20-30 fps.

Gestault

I played about a half-hour of GoW1 this morning. This is a really hastily put together port.

I actively dislike the stretched UI, and randomly using the rear touch panel to start something that I then hit another button to continue feels like an unnecessary step. The framerate drops, but it didn't impede gameplay for me, but the whole presentation feels like a blurry mess. I don't think it's unfair to call this the weakest version of the game.

Moofers

Not sure if this has been posted, but PS+ members can get GoW HD Vita for free.

Go to the store on ps3 or the web store. Download/"buy" the free timed trials for GoW 1 & 2 HD individually. Go to the vita store and find the new HD collection listed as a free download. Enjoy!

Tsunamo

Hilarious OT Flandy.

I really want to give these ports a whirl but I've only got God of War 1 digitally and there's no individual option to download the Vita versions so I can't download the collection. Ah well, I guess I'll just grab it when it's on sale sometime.

IMACOMPUTA

Not sure if this has been posted, but PS+ members can get GoW HD Vita for free.

Go to the store on ps3 or the web store. Download/"buy" the free timed trials for GoW 1 & 2 HD individually. Go to the vita store and find the new HD collection listed as a free download. Enjoy!
Not seeing gow 1 and 2 HD on the list of timed trials. Did they take them down?

Hugstable

Banned
I'm confused about the complaints about the FMV, weren't they like this in the HD version that came out for PS3 also. Thankfully the regular game looks and runs just fine to me. I think they could have made the menus look better though as the subqHD really shows on the menus. Played a bit of GoW2 though and everything seemed to run just fine and the game was very playable to me. Don't see the slideshows that I heard mentioned.

horld of ancient Greece as the legendary Spartan Kratos™ seeks revenge on Ares, the God of War, and tries to accomplish what no mortal has ever done... alter the course of Fate itself.

[B]FEATUREZ:[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Cross-Buy
[*]Kratos in YO POCKET
[*]30 FRAMES PER SECOND DOWNGRADE
[*]Sub 544p grafix
[*]Brand new trophy list separate from the PS3 version
[s][*]The envy of all your friends[/s]
[*]Omega Symbol on your Vita live area
[*] Parental Control level NINE
[/LIST]

[B]Release Date:[/B]
NA: 5 May 2014
EU: 8 May 2014

[B]File Size:[/B]
NA: 3186 MB
EU: ?

[B]_606eaf1131_b.jpghttps://farm4.staticflickr.com/3706/12

This is my first OT guys. Hope you liked it[/QUOTE]

Whats the resolution of the game?

ZServ

Is anyone else having problems with trophies not unlocking? I'm flat out missing story trophies despite being past that point in the game.

Damn Sony, if you're going to just let the Vita exist as a port machine, the least you can do is make sure the ports are good!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I played about a half-hour of GoW1 this morning. This is a really hastily put together port.

I actively dislike the stretched UI, and randomly using the rear touch panel to start something that I then hit another button to continue feels like an unnecessary step. The framerate drops, but it didn't impede gameplay for me, but the whole presentation feels like a blurry mess. I don't think it's unfair to call this the weakest version of the game.
It's really quite abysmal.

I would love to hear additional details about how these games are being ported. I can only assume that these companies are starting from the PS3 releases and attempting to port them across to Vita? If that is the case then it's pretty clear why the results we're seeing are so terrible.

Of course, starting from PS2 could be much more difficult but I'm sure the results would be faster if done right. As it stands ports from actual PS3 games to Vita have turned out generally better than any attempt at bringing a PS2 game to Vita. At the time I thought the MGS Collection was pretty poor but, in retrospect, it's looking to be one of the strongest ports. Shame Sony didn't contract out something like HexaDrive or M2 to handle these ports. Then again, these games were all made in the US originally so those Japanese teams would ultimately have to work from English documentation making it more difficult.

Takao

Banned
Only Shu knows why Bluepoint were given the task of porting Flower to Vita instead of these Collections.

It's really quite abysmal.

Overstate much? Again, they're not stellar the way the PS3 ports were, but if last gen showed us anything, it's that great PS2 reduxes are the exception, not the rule, and the PS2 special sauce is hard to replicate. Blue Point were basically bosses, and no one else could keep up.

Only Shu knows why Bluepoint were given the task of porting Flower to Vita instead of these Collections.

Shit, I didn't realize they did flower. It is an incredible port actually.

I'm trying to figure out how they thought GoW at sub 30 fps was even worth releasing. I guess they wanted everyone to relive their memories of the shitty frame rate in Heavenly Sword.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Overstate much? Again, they're not stellar the way the PS3 ports were, but if last gen showed us anything, it's that great PS2 reduxes are the exception, not the rule, and the PS2 special sauce is hard to replicate. Blue Point were basically bosses, and no one else could keep up.
No, I'm not overstating it. The ports are nearly as awful as Jak and Daxter. The frame-rate is simply awful. This is not a good port.

Blue Point does great work but I think HexaDrive are the real kings of PS2 porting. Rendering Okami internally at 2160p on a PS3 is an insane feat as is their work on remaking ZOE2.

Seventy5

That might be the best OT ever. Parental control 9 had me in tears. You should add
-Humpin Greek Ladies with the square button...on the train!

I'm going to pick this up in a few weeks. I want it now but I have loaded my Vita with games for a two week training seminar in Orlando and I won't get to it. I wish they threw in the PSP upgraded titles though, I'd be willing to pay $40 for the whole collection.

LTWood12

Man, this is a rough port. Played 15 minutes of God of War 1 and then deleted it. Game is blurry, and felt like the framerate was in the low 20s. Not sure what I expected, but this is not an ideal way to play these games. Play them on PS3 if you have a choice.

HT UK

Disappointed you can't buy them separately on PSN. I already own GOW 1 HD digitally.

Plus I've already got the 'Saga' collection on disc.

Disappointed you can't buy them separately on PSN. I already own GOW 1 HD digitally.

Plus I've already got the 'Saga' collection on disc.
Then you should buy the God of War II HD for PS3 for 14.95 and it should upgrade into the collection on both systems.

Man, this is a rough port. Played 15 minutes of God of War 1 and then deleted it. Game is blurry, and felt like the framerate was in the low 20s. Not sure what I expected, but this is not an ideal way to play these games. Play them on PS3 if you have a choice.

yeah, its pretty bad. Not sure what the hell took them so long to make.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Freedom = $1.05 said:
They'd probably be much better if they went from ps2->vita
There are some that did (like P4G) and the sub-native/PS2 resolution @ 30fps remains. GoW is just continuing the "every PS2 game on Vita is sub-native ~30fps" tradition.

dark10x said:
Of course, starting from PS2 could be much more difficult but I'm sure the results would be faster if done right.
I doubt that given Vita architecture - XBox, Wii and DC ports have all translated very well to date for instance. Sly collection looks like it'll be the first of its kind (a Vita native res port of PS2 game), although it's probably half-the framerate as well, so still not exactly an upgrade.

There are some that did (like P4G) and the sub-native/PS2 resolution @ 30fps remains. GoW is just continuing the "every PS2 game on Vita is sub-native ~30fps" tradition.

Well, The game is technically running in a higher resolution, in widescreen, and maintains the original's fps @ 30 so it's an improvement overall, unlike most/all of the PS2->PS3->Vita ports which are compromised compared to their original ps2 versions.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Freedom = $1.058 said:
Well, The game is technically running in a higher resolution, in widescreen
IIRC most of these run ~450p widescreen - which is technically a few % more than they were originally, but it's not like PS2 would have a problem running a bit higher if the resolution existed on TVs. And MGS3/FFs ports also run at original framerate(or better).
And really both FFX and P4 were among the simplest games on PS2, roughly matching the original performance&resolution is what I'd expect of some sort of emulation backend - not a port.

Hubble

Whatever the frame rate is, I wasn't really bothered.

However, what is annoying me is the game is less sharp/blurry. It was noticeable instantly and is really hindering me in wanting to continue the game. I haven't played the God of Wars so I was looking forward to this. It is quite shocking they botched it considering.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Hit a fight about 4 hours into they first game that craaaaawled. It was a a slideshow, to the point of giving my gf a headache.

Still enjoying it for the most part, but it's definitely a shoddy port. Hopefully Sly fairs better.

Only reason this exists is so Vita TV users have access to the old Kratos games.

I doubt this works on Vita TV given how the manual does not list anything about it, and there's some use of touch controls in here.

I bought it, I'm "ok" with it simply because it's GOW on the go, but yeah, I felt it could have been much better. It's playable, but it looks ugly.

Takao

Banned
I doubt this works on Vita TV given how the manual does not list anything about it, and there's some use of touch controls in here.

I bought it, I'm "ok" with it simply because it's GOW on the go, but yeah, I felt it could have been much better. It's playable, but it looks ugly.

It's Vita TV compatible:

000_1.png

http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/vcjs15008.html

Top Bottom