• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

MrSerrels

Just finished GOW3 last night, and I got to say, I think the game really blew its load too early. The opening sequence didn't top the GOW2 opener IMO – but I felt that the middle third of the game was absolutely spectacular.

The Chronos fight was unbelievable and one of the best set piece sequences I've played through, the battle with Hercules felt really intense and brutal, but the final battle left me a bit cold to be honest. The Max Payne style follow the blood trails sequence just felt really lazy to me.

tass0

Banned
Liquidus said:
Just beat this, this game.

Umm, maybe I got an early build version but man I think I'm going to try and forget 3 and consider 2 as the end to the series. I can't believe how bad this game is:lol

Terrible dialogue, terrible QTE's, terrible story, terrible boss fights, terrible character design, terrible voice overs, terrible environments, terrible lighting, terrible level design, terrible A.I. That's enough "terribles" for now but if you want a game that fails to match it's predecessor in every way it's for you. It's like Santa Monica copy and pasted the same environment for 90% of the game and made it darker and more poorly lit than the last:lol

What a joke of game, the hype machine has failed me once more.

Back to Yakuza 3.

633824049006071090-skepticalhippo.jpg

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
jeez..i thought i was critical of the game..the only parts that bother me are QTE's..i just never liked them...the combat could have been better..but this isnt dmc or ninja gaiden i have a lot of nitpicks ..but i always thought that the adventure element of the game really shined through even if some things weren't perfect..i could make a laundry list of what i did not like in the game but id still give it an overwhelmingly good review.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i hate how i totally just missed out on a godly possession. :(

guess i will have to grab it on my second play through.

you can go back to your old save files and get them.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Maybe I was expecting a lot more given my recent Platinums in God of War and God of War 2 but God of War 3 failed to capture me on every level.

My first issue with the game was the distracting transition from gameplay to "real-time" cutscenes. Then came the terrible QTE's (I'm too spoiled by Heavy Rain) and then the rinse and repeat art of the levels. They're all dark and gloomy... I guess you need to do something to cover up those "painting" like textures:lol

Another thing that annoyed me about the levels was how the Blades of Exile did a good job of lighting up darkly lit corridors while the other weapons barely did anything besides the "flashlight" of course. So adding to these poorly designed levels is poorly implemented lighting and as the minutes turned into hours I could not wait for this game to be over.

In terms of the graphics the opening sequence was pretty good but after that it kind of falls apart since you can't really see anything thanks to how dark everything is... and it's not my gamma levels. Maybe they chose to make everything so dark and gloomy to keep with the theme but god damn, diversity your bonds. Wu Tang. Oh god and some of these character designs are just atrocious! Later on in the game you meet someone and they look like something off of Todd McFarlenes trapper keeper, just laughable.

The story is the weakest in the series. The dialogue is poorly written and the voice overs don't even try to give the lines and justice as in the end there will only be chaos.

Gameplay is the same old God of War minus the diversity of the first 3. The puzzles are weak and nothing new is attempted. New things are scary I guess.

Basically GoW3 is the Resistance 2 of the Resistance series and the Metal Gear Solid 4 of the Metal Gear franchise. Some will like it but in my opinion it's just another overhyped sequel that fails to capture the good of its predecessor(s).

X-Burner

Banned
Soooo. My dad just turned off my computer that has been rendering my titan play through for the past 10 hours. Time to start again :lol

Now I've only played the demo, and it didn't really grab me (kinda got bored really), and looking at all the comments here.
Would people (who aren't currently at their peak of ecstasy of playing this game) in agreement that this will have some sort of a backlash, like a lot of hyped games normally do?
I mean don't get me wrong, the visuals are very impressive, and a lot of care has been taken care of. But it seems a lot of people are being won over from their first time experience, and that there is a lot of frustration with that.

Also can people please stop comparing this to Bayonetta. They are nothing alike..

whitehawk

Banned
Um, soo. I just beat the game. And I was really
dissapointed with the ending. The Final boss fight was really boring and stupid. And then he just stabs himself? Maybe I'm missing something, but God of War 1/2 was better. I enjoyed 3s journey, and the visuals and everything, but come on. That ending sucked, so lackluster.

Also, you know that part when you are punching Zeus over and over, and then the screen goes completely red? I kept punching for 2 minutes before I realized you were supposed to stop :lol
neojubei said:
you can go back to your old save files and get them.
You guys are crazy, I just keep one save file.

nskinnear said:
Weren't there huge backlashes over MGS4 and Resistance 2? Almost everyone who has posted in this thread has loved GOW III. Obviously, there are exceptions, but I don't think it's fair to compare GOW III to a game like Resistance 2 in terms of quality sequels.

You have to remember. MGS4 won Gaf GOTY 2008. 6 Months after it's release. The rabid hate towards it are only coming from the extremely vocal crowd, and the majority of that hate is towards the story. This is why we have our monthly MGS4 hate thread.. I dunno to make up for the fact it won Gaf GOTY.

Anyway, my point being, 6 months from now, I'm fairly certain there will be a backlash, maybe not MGS4 level, but some sort of backlash towards it.

jmd494

Loved the boss fights with
Hercules and Hades
. The size matchup just felt perfect. Not too big...not too small.

Struct09

Just finished it, and loved it. My only overall complaint is the pacing - had they spread out the amazing boss fights over the whole game, the last half wouldn't have felt like it was dragging on.

Still, an absolutely stunning game. Beautiful, epic, and fun.

The Chef

Liquidus said:
Basically GoW3 is the Resistance 2 of the Resistance series and the Metal Gear Solid 4 of the Metal Gear franchise. Some will like it but in my opinion it's just another overhyped sequel that fails to capture the good of its predecessor(s).

Okay first of all smart guy everyone on Gaf will probably agree with you that Resistance 2 is indeed a far inferior product to Resistance 1. MGS4 your fighting against the vocal minority and with GOW3 your against a overwhelming majority that think the game is pure sex. Sorry bro but in your analogy your odd man out.

Dabookerman said:
But it seems a lot of people are being won over from their first time experience, and that there is a lot of frustration with that.

Again what is this "lot of people" you guys are referring to? I must need to comb through every page because I see a relative small group of people show up every 10 pages or so.

In my opinion and I love this series its the absolute best.
Best Combat
Best Atmosphere
Best Boss Fights
Best Presentation

Its a absolutely phenomenal game and I feel the pacing is just perfect. For me anyway its great stuff.

Slurmer

Banned
Liquidus said:
My first issue with the game was the distracting transition from gameplay to "real-time" cutscenes. Then came the terrible QTE's (I'm too spoiled by Heavy Rain)

I agree with you here. I think Heavy Rain has, for me, rendered ALL other QTEs terrible.

Basically GoW3 is the Resistance 2 of the Resistance series and the Metal Gear Solid 4 of the Metal Gear franchise. Some will like it but in my opinion it's just another overhyped sequel that fails to capture the good of its predecessor(s)

I disagree with this and basically everything else you've said though. Unlike MGS4 and R2, GoW3 doesn't do anything worse than its predecessors.

Greg

Dabookerman said:
Now I've only played the demo, and it didn't really grab me (kinda got bored really), and looking at all the comments here.
Would people (who aren't currently at their peak of ecstasy of playing this game) in agreement that this will have some sort of a backlash, like a lot of hyped games normally do?
I mean don't get me wrong, the visuals are very impressive, and a lot of care has been taken care of. But it seems a lot of people are being won over from their first time experience, and that there is a lot of frustration with that.

Also can people please stop comparing this to Bayonetta. They are nothing alike..
Did you enjoy the previous installments of the game?

The demo isn't a representation of the polish that the final version has... especially the framerate and lighting. I know that can be said about any demo of a game, but it really went through quite a few coats of polish from that build - and actually, that's one of the least impressive sections of the game in terms of visuals in the final build.

I played through the game twice and actually enjoyed myself on the 2nd run even more if that answers your 'peak of ecstasy' question. The combat system actually has a bit of depth compared to previous installments (not represented that well in the demo either) which really helps give the game some replayability. Not really depth in terms of difficulty (because there are still 'exploitable' tactics), but more like depth in terms of freedom and fluidity that the other games never touched.

Hixx

MrSerrels said:
Just finished GOW3 last night, and I got to say, I think the game really blew its load too early. The opening sequence didn't top the GOW2 opener IMO – but I felt that the middle third of the game was absolutely spectacular.

The Chronos fight was unbelievable and one of the best set piece sequences I've played through, the battle with Hercules felt really intense and brutal, but the final battle left me a bit cold to be honest. The Max Payne style follow the blood trails sequence just felt really lazy to me.

Agree. I think that the first third was perhaps weakened by me seeing so much of it in previews etc, I'm sure Poseidon would've blown my mind had it been the first time I'd seen it however.

But from Hades right upto
the maze
if the game could've maintain that level of quality throughout it would've pipped ME2 to my favourite game so far this year. Those few hours were brilliant - the pacing, visuals and combat peaked in it, the difficulty felt spot on (towards the end I felt overpowered almost) and probably the most fun I've had in a hack and slash game.

For me it fits in the middle of the trilogy quality wise, but has many more memorable moments and possibly the most amazing sequence of a game for many, many years.

A couple of the challenges are in the process of getting on my tits now, want to start the Titan run through but must get the tropjy first. Argh! :D

whitehawk said:
Also, you know that part when you are punching Zeus over and over, and then the screen goes completely red? I kept punching for 2 minutes before I realized you were supposed to stop :lol

ME TOO :lol :lol :lol

I actually restarted from the last checkpoint cause I thought the game glitched up on me.

Nizz

I really need a new game to play and my brother decided to help his older, unemployed bro out by buying me a new game. I might be just a little burned out with fps games and I liked the demo for GoW3.

So I think this Friday my brother will be picking the game up for me. I can't wait, I'm really excited to play this. Nice to see the positive impressions here in this thread. Some negative too, but it's God of War, man!

Zeliard

Dabookerman said:

God of War 3 won't see very much of a backlash. The game does exactly what it sets out to do.

Liquidus said:
Just beat this, this game.

Umm, maybe I got an early build version but man I think I'm going to try and forget 3 and consider 2 as the end to the series. I can't believe how bad this game is:lol

Terrible dialogue, terrible QTE's, terrible story, terrible boss fights, terrible character design, terrible voice overs, terrible environments, terrible lighting, terrible level design, terrible A.I. That's enough "terribles" for now but if you want a game that fails to match it's predecessor in every way it's for you. It's like Santa Monica copy and pasted the same environment for 90% of the game and made it darker and more poorly lit than the last:lol

What a joke of game, the hype machine has failed me once more.

Back to Yakuza 3.

Now, I know God of War 3 is not everyone's cup of tea, but if you really thought that the QTE's or the dialogue, or voice overs were going to be any different than 1 or 2, then your a fool.

and if you really think the boss fights, the lighting, the level design, the "game" and environments were all bad, then you need to just stop playing video games.

I Can get not liking the gameplay or story, but the other stuff is just stupid. God of war III had some of the best lighting ever for a console video game.

And of course the game is going to be dark, its the end of the world and
HE KILLED THE SUN GOD!

I haven't played far, I stopped last night just before what I'm guessing will be the fight against Hades. The game's been melting my face off so far. I'm pretty sure the final L3 + R3 prompt to finish off
Poseidon
is simultaneously the best and worst QTE of all time. I dropped the controller and shook my thumbs around like a little girl :lol

I love that the face button prompts are now on the sides of the screen now. In the other GOWs I was always too focused on which button I had to press to watch any of the cinematics - I had to watch them on Youtube later on - but now I don't have to take my eyes off the grossness.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
H.Cornerstone said:
God of war III had some of the best lightning ever for a console video games.

Eh, the lightning is the weakest effect in the game. It's too yellow and looks fairly crude. Now the lighting, the lighting is fucking godly.

DrPirate

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
If you get 999,999 combo the teaser website address shows up. I wonder if there are any other secrets like this.

This was in God of War 2.

Is there another one for God of War 3????

ultron87

Anyone else have an inordinate amount of trouble doing the QTE prompts that involve doing a half circle with one of the thumb sticks?

They seems way more difficult and seem to require a much more precise motion than one would expect.

dralla

ultron87 said:
Anyone else have an inordinate amount of trouble doing the QTE prompts that involve doing a half circle with one of the thumb sticks?

They seems way more difficult and seem to require a much more precise motion than one would expect.
I did at first, but than I realized I was trying to enter them so fast it was screwing me up. The amount of time you have for those is pretty generous, just take your time with them

Darkman M

ultron87 said:

That's the one thing they should have deaded after the first game, so annoying and unnecessary.

JaseMath

Haven't got to play, but I bought the game today. Now all I have to do is wait for my GF to leave me alone over the weekend.

GuessWho

it's my first god of war experience and i find the game completely awesome, and i love the greek mythology. i;m wondering if i should get the gow pack to play the first ones or am i gonna play something that feels outdated?

GuessWho said:
it's my first god of war experience and i find the game completely awesome, and i love the greek mythology. i;m wondering if i should get the gow pack to play the first ones or am i gonna play something that feels outdated?

The first 2 still hold up quite well. These games are very linear and controlled so it'll be hard to feel truly dated.

But why'd you jump into the series with this one in the first place? The GOW Collection is a measly $30 for 2 great games.

Ashes

Banned
Comments above reminded me how the game looks different enough depending on what kind of tv you have. It looked much better on the living room plasma then on the bedroom lcd tv. Bayonetta looked similiar enough on both iirc. As do most other games. I remember gears 2 giving similiar vibes though.
or pehaps the middle sections are just less visually appealing. More GOW2esque... nahh, I'm going to say its my tv.:D

A.R.K

wtf my game keeps freezing when I get to level 2 boss (Hades). I stay in the room and the boss never shows up and I can just run around but thats all. WTF?????? I had other audio/video sync/slow down issues but somehow I managed to overcome those but now I am just stuck!!! I have tried multiple times but same result. Also when I try to do a save at the checkpoints in the second level, game freezes!! This is my second copy of GOWIII which I got replaced by Aamazon as I thought the disc was faulty. But today with the new disc its still the same fucking problem. Is any one else having these freeze issues??? I have a 80G semi-BC model. All my other games are playing fine so it must be something to do with this game. Is SSM aware of this and doing any thing to fix this shit?????

I am so fucking pissed!!!!!!

I finished it last night and I'm really happy with how the game turned out. The boss battles are consistently awesome, the graphics are amazing and the combat system has some nice improvements over GOW2. It's just a excellent sequel to one of the best franchises of last-gen.

Though I'm not sure if I liked the ending, it will be interesting to see how they continue the series from here.
I mean, Kratos is dead (probably), all of Olympus is dead, most of the humans are dead, and Athena is just kinda hanging around in ghost form. Plus the entire world is destroyed. I have honestly no idea what they are going to do for God of War 4, and you all know there will be a GOW4, but it's going to be a pretty big change setting/storywise from 3.

Shalashaska161 said:
I finished it last night and I'm really happy with how the game turned out. The boss battles are consistently awesome, the graphics are amazing and the combat system has some nice improvements over GOW2. It's just a excellent sequel to one of the best franchises of last-gen.

Though I'm not sure if I liked the ending, it will be interesting to see how they continue the series from here.
I mean, Kratos is dead (probably), all of Olympus is dead, most of the humans are dead, and Athena is just kinda hanging around in ghost form. Plus the entire world is destroyed. I have honestly no idea what they are going to do for God of War 4, and you all know there will be a GOW4, but it's going to be a pretty big change setting/storywise from 3.

I wouldn't count on them doing GOW4. Sony has been pretty good at letting their studios do what they want.

DrPirate said:
This was in God of War 2.

Is there another one for God of War 3????

Yes

H.Cornerstone said:
I wouldn't count on them doing GOW4. Sony has been pretty good at letting their studios do what they want.

There was an interview recently where they said they were working on 2 projects. One smaller project and one longer project in planning (Probably GoW4).

ZeroRay

H.Cornerstone said:

The franchise isn't done. We could see SSM move on to Norse mythology or something. :lol

But I think another GOW game is for the long term and the studio's next game will be something else.
RPG please!

NeoUltima

So getting the platinum actually directs you to that website, I thought people were just guessing about its relation to platinums. Ok y'all get those platinums, lets fill that meter up.

jett said:
Probably not. I don't see why would anyone choose an interlaced output, except those with old CRT HDTVs that only support 1080i.

Interlaced can look just as good or better than progressive, it depends on the native content and the display.

A 1080i signal will deliver a 1080p film exactly as it was recorded, in 24p format.

1920 * 1080 = 2.073.600
1920 * 540 = 1.036.800
1280 * 720 = 921.600

Killzone 2 looks cleaner and smoother on my set at 1080i than 720p. It may look worse in other areas, for instance there could be more tearing or frame-rate instability but, the slight boost I get in resolution is worth it in my opinion.

dralla

I was playing through the intro again and I just noticed on the second horse-thing encounter, one of its "legs" is going right through Gaia's mouth. :[]

ZeroRay said:
The franchise isn't done. We could see SSM move on to Norse mythology or something. :lol

But I think another GOW game is for the long term and the studio's next game will be something else.
RPG please!

I don't know. I heard Stig say they would like to do God of war again in the future, but it wouldn't be till about ten years from now. I think they are working on a similar type game, just not one that will be in the god of war franchise.

The Chef

I think its a true testament to thing incredible talent pool SSM must have that each game has had a completely different director and yet they have all been absolutely magnificent games.

Calion

dralla said:
I was playing through the intro again and I just noticed on the second horse-thing encounter, one of its "legs" is going right through Gaia's mouth. :[]

I believe they mentioned that in the "making of Poseidon" video. It's a neat little detail.

Slurmer

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
There was an interview recently where they said they were working on 2 projects. One smaller project and one longer project in planning (Probably GoW4).

Yeah the franchise is definitely going to continue to exist. From an interview with Sony's John Hight back in January:

Is this really the end of God of War? Wouldn't it be foolish for Sony to end to such a successful franchise?

It is certainly the end of the trilogy. We're capping off the story that we started in God of War 1. Can you expect other things God of War? Yes. We're not going to let it go, just like that. Are we going to proliferate the market with tons of God of War? No. We're going to be really careful about what we do next, and make sure we have something interesting to show and tell.

So, maybe not God of War 4, but it's definitely going to exist in some capacity. Personally, I think the teaser website is going to reveal a new PSP game.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
About GOW4
Near the end of GOW3, Zeus says to Gaia "Your pawn has failed. You should have used the other one" or something...could be Kratos is done but they have a new protagonist in mind for another trilogy or something

Top Bottom