• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

obaidr

Banned
I just want to say, that
The cubes puzzle is probably The best puzzle I played in a this gen game.
I agree that the puzzles in 1 and 2 were more deep and I wish that part were much more complicated to solve. It had so much potential. Just think of the Movie Cube. anyways this Game is sssssooooo good from every Single aspect. We are agrueing here about à level of Quality which is unreached by 99% of Games ever created. This Game is just soooo much Fun to Play i almost cry of Joy :)

Greg said:
Did you enjoy the previous installments of the game?

Nope. Like I mentioned it's not my cup of tea. It has too many things that put me off for me to want to stick with it. Combat is boring, and I don't like QTEs as excessive as those. I am however interested in the visuals, and how much further they can push the console, and it is impressive I must say. Seeing a certain boss battle and the scale was nice.

Natakuu

Banned
I'm sure this has been mentioned many times throughout the thread, but what's (roughly) the average playtime for this? I've got a lot of games that I've yet to play but only so much time to do so. Trying to get an idea for when I should dig into this. Damn you university:lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Natakuu said:
I'm sure this has been mentioned many times throughout the thread, but what's (roughly) the average playtime for this? I've got a lot of games that I've yet to play but only so much time to do so. Trying to get an idea for when I should dig into this. Damn you university:lol
~10 hours seems to be the average.

edit: lol, big typo

Natakuu

Banned
Rez said:
~10 hours seems to be the average.

edit: lol, big typo
Thanks for the help, might try to squeeze this in one marathon session this weekend then:lol Looking forward to seeing how good it turned out.

NeoUltima said:
All three games are basically equal in my eyes. Some people will like one more than another, etc.

This. I remember playing each one upon release and pretty much always being impressed. I will say GOWII frustrated me more at times in terms of difficulty (or what I called cheapness) of some of it's fights. I mean worse than the frustrating Hades towers of I for me. For instance, I hated the Gorgons with a friggen passion in II. But I thoroughly enjoyed each release and always felt wowed. I also think the 2-3 years between releases works in it's favor because by then I'm always hungry for more God of War.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Wow...just got through
the labyrinth, and then the Cerebrus fight
last night on Titan mode.

I assume that
Zeus
is next... A few things..

--I totally HATE the
flying sections
...maybe one of them would be cool, but i think there were 3 or 4 this game. WHY? Why also would you make some of them very long with no mid-checkpoints so i have to start all over again!

--I think
surviving that seemingly endless battle just before you leave the Labyrinth
was harder to me than the battle with the
Ice Scorpion!

--
Cerebrus
was really not too bad....much easier than i expected.

Cruzader

Banned
People complaining about the tunnel gliding sections need better reflexes or something. Those parts were easy as fuck. A trophy should be unlocked for not getting hit once or something since its easy.

jett

D-Member
Cruzader said:
People complaining about the tunnel gliding sections need better reflexes or something. Those parts were easy as fuck. A trophy should be unlocked for not getting hit once or something since its easy.

They were also pussified considerably from the demo.

And I thought there would be more of them. :|

Just like I thought there would be more of the Titan tech thing.

The Chef

jett said:
They were also pussified considerably from the demo.

And I thought there would be more of them. :|

Just like I thought there would be more of the Titan tech thing.

Speaking of the flying parts I love when your fighting the
Scorpion King and the last part of that fight is hurtling up toward him
..As Muse says thats some superhero epic ish right there.

Cesar

Banned
The skybox right before you fight
Zeus
looks incredible. I just stood there for a minute just looking at the awesomeness. The ligthing and how the clouds twist and flow looks amazing. :O

I just killed
Hercules
. Jesus F***ing Christ! I don't know how they are going to top that one. Almost every sub boss battle is better that the final boss battles in virtually every other action game.

Cruzader said:
I asked in the other thread, but maybe here I can get an answer. What is the song called that plays in those sections? I can only find the demo version of the song, but i want retail version! :D

PuppetMaster said:
I just killed
Hercules
. Jesus F***ing Christ! I don't know how they are going to top that one. Almost every sub boss battle is better that the final boss battles in virtually every other action game.
There's one coming up that's even better! :D

Struct09

Cruzader said:

I had no problems getting past the gliding sections, but I didn't find them very fun. Definitely the low point of the game for me.

The Chef

Struct09 said:
I had no problems getting past the gliding sections, but I didn't find them very fun. Definitely the low point of the game for me.

How interesting I had a lot of fun with those parts. I thought they conveyed a great sense of speed and just overall bad-assadry as you were hurtling toward your objective.

Kasra_2x4 said:
Absofuckinlutely agreed

Yeah I don't know what some of these peoples issues are. I think GOW3 is a perfect conclusion to such a excellent series.

roMonster

PuppetMaster said:
I just killed
Hercules

That was my favorite fight.

It felt like an old school brawler--so fun.

tim1138

Finished it up this morning and loved every minute of it. Even my wife who is not ordinarily a big action game fan has started her own save after watching me play the early portions of it.
I absolutely loved the end game, although I will admit that when
it goes first person as you pound on Zeus, I must have hit the circle button for like 2 minutes waiting for the prompt to disappear before I finally said "fuck it" and just stopped

Based on some of the comments in this thread I was expecting to be let down with the ending, but on the contrary I enjoyed it and seemed pretty fitting.

I can't wait to see what SSM has in store next.

The Chef

roMonster said:
That was my favorite fight.

It felt like an old school brawler--so fun.

Yeah that fight was so amazing. You just felt like two superpowers going at it. Weakening
Hercules and then slamming his ass against the walls into the blades was so satisfying.
Another small detail that was so cool in that fight was if you anticipated that he was going to try and ram into you and you started hitting O before he made contact you would stand your ground and immediately start pushing him in the opposite direction instead of sliding.

Struct09

tim1138 said:
I absolutely loved the end game, although I will admit that when
it goes first person as you pound on Zeus, I must have hit the circle button for like 2 minutes waiting for the prompt to disappear before I finally said "fuck it" and just stopped

I thought this was brilliant. I also really liked when
you finally catch Hermes, and it makes you slowly walk after him as he tries to get away.
EPIC!!

SUPREME1

Banned
I've never played any of the GoW games as I never owned a PS1 or PS2.

However, I now own a PS3 and have a few games for it (MGS4, Soul Calbur 4, MLB:The Show 2009, Resistance 2, Killzone 2) but I find that I do most of my gaming on my 360.

I'd hate to buy GoW3 and end up not playing it much. I've reahced a point where I'd rather not spend money on a game if it's not gonna get played a ton.

I know GoW is a PS must have, but all hyperbole aside, how good is this game?

I really liked MGS4, how would it stack up to that game as far as production values? Storyline? Graphics?

Thanks.

First of all, no fucking New Game +??? Wow, just wow!

Secondly, I just finished it and I'll give it a 9/10 and GOTY (something I can't see anything else this year beating). However, I'm going to put it up against the quality of the 1st game, rather than the second and hope the errors and feedback help make the 4th one up there with the quality of the 2nd.

I massively enjoyed it, epic start and some stunning graphics. Kratos looked magnificent, the detail on him was unbelievable. Combat was as fun and satisfying as ever, with some great new moves and powers/abilities. I loved searching for little secrets and the
Godly possessions
were a great addition. The music was fantastic, the main theme I think surpasses the original. The style of the opening credits and certain cutscenes throughout were well done and fitted well within the game. The gore, violence and aftermath of Kratos wrath were both digusting and badass.

The end was a bit of an anti-climax though and the start had, by far, the most amazing parts in the whole game. I think the rest of the bosses weren't quite up there with
Posiedon and Hades
. Those were the most enjoyable and blew me away. Nothing really came to those grandness. I felt
Chronos
while epic in scale wasn't nearly as epic a fight as it should have been. The end battle again not much of a climatic last battle.

There's a few glitches to be had (like pressing circle when you thought you're near a Cyclops only for Kratos to go into QTE mode with the Cyclops nowhere in sight) and a bit of screen tearing. I maybe thought there were too many weapons in the game... versus how long you get to use them/length of game. Game length was a little shorter than I expected too. Could have done with being a good 2 hours longer I felt. 2 puzzley parts that seemed to be quite enjoyable
(the maze and the Labyrinth)
should have been longer.

Sound was the major gripe for me in this game. The dynamic sound I did not like at all. Low overall sound, where I had to turn my system up to get a normal level, for then to have really loud parts. Sure, give this as an option in future for people who want it but just give me normal sound like most other games have. Sometimes it was hard to hear what was being said in cutscenes, so I had to turn subtitles on but that took away a little from properly enjoying the cutscenes with having text spralled over them.

Graphically, of course, very nice, though loses points for awful/ugly charcter models. WTF? I mean Kratos has got to be one of the, if not the, best looking modelled characters in a game ever, but the art direction and modelling of the rest of the cast was sub par for me. I did really like how you could view and survey the landscapes at certain points. The last part
before the final Zeus battle
was breathtaking as an example of how stunning the game looked.

And where the hell was Linda Hunt? Sure, she had a sentence to read at the beginning but that was it? I'd have prefered for her to narrate the story more than the cast. There was way too much dialogue in the game from Kratos and other cast then there maybe should have been.

Edit: Also, didn't like the new Athena voice.

I'm really nitpicking for the most part though, but because I love GoW and expect nothing less than greatness from them, so I'm a little disappointed with it in certain areas but as I said, can only hope they spend the time to make GoWIV even better.

So at the end I'm going to go: GoWII>GoWIII>GoW>>>>>>GoW:CoO

KingGondo

Banned
ImperialConquest said:

I really liked MGS4, how would it stack up top that game as far as production values? Storyline? Graphics?
Amazing. Engaging, tight gameplay. Best or second-best graphics this gen (next to Uncharted 2). Production values through the roof.

Only thing I would recommend is playing GoW Collection first. It's not necessary for enjoyment of GoW3, but it will make it a more enjoyable experience.

tl;dr: BUY IT, PLAY IT.

The Chef

KingGondo said:
Amazing. Engaging, tight gameplay. Best or second-best graphics this gen (next to Uncharted 2). Production values through the roof.

Only thing I would recommend is playing GoW Collection first. It's not necessary for enjoyment of GoW3, but it will make it a more enjoyable experience.

tl;dr: BUY IT, PLAY IT.

At the very least he should watch the recaps on youtube.

obaidr

Banned
The Chef said:
How interesting I had a lot of fun with those parts. I thought they conveyed a great sense of speed and just overall bad-assadry as you were hurtling toward your objective.

Yeah I don't know what some of these peoples issues are. I think GOW3 is a perfect conclusion to such a excellent series.

The graphics in those parts look so good and give you such a great feel of speed. Besides those parts remind me of the good ol' arcade games back in the days. But I dont know which game particulary :lol

dralla

So I went back and beat II and now I'm back to III. Having not played II in a couple of years I was surprised by how different the experiences were. Regarding II, it's a much slower game with its pacing compared to III. Weapons and items are gotten at a slower rate, there's more back tracking, there's more puzzles and platforming. As a result it is a longer game, by about 2 hours or so.

Just an example. The first area in II after the intro is the Lair of the Titan. You have to go inside this mountain to get the bow. After you get the bow you have to backtrack through the entire area to get back to the beginning, fighting the same enemies you fought the first time through. That does not happen in III because of how the levels are designed.

What I think II does better than III is more enemy types (seriously, why were so many missing in III?) and more variety in locations. And because of the slower pace you'll also get smaller "set pieces" in the game to help change things up: silhouette fight with the spartan soldier, free fall fight with Icarus.

Now with III you get a massive upgrade to the combat (and visuals/audio), locations, while not as diverse, feel more interconnected and require no backtracking [see above], the player constantly be rewarded with new gear and the best boss fights in the series. The puzzles feel less segmented from the rest of the game, feel more organically integrated into the world. The puzzles themselves are more straight forward and action oriented. This makes them slightly less challenging, but as a result they never bog the game down. Block pushing is painless because of how fast Kratos is able to move them without having to stop and kick them, and rotating objects with the right stick was a small but helpful tweak.

So basically what I'm saying, GoW II and III are more different than I realized.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I really loved the super quick block pushing in III. He's sooooooo sloooooowwwwwww in I and II and kicking hardly helped. :lol

The Chef

dralla said:
So basically what I'm saying, GoW II and III are more different than I realized.

Yeah they are completely different but excel in different areas which just adds to what a robust and excellent series GOW is.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
ImperialConquest said:

I really liked MGS4, how would it stack up to that game as far as production values? Storyline? Graphics?

Thanks.

So far it's very, very good. Maybe not quite as good as GoW II, but still one of the best games so far this gen (provided that you like blood, guts and violence action hack n' slash adventure games). Better graphics than MGS4, and probably even higher production values. The GoW III story isn't quite as convoluted as the MGS4 story, but it's still a bit of a mess due to the whole time travel thing in GoW II, but as long as you don't think too much about the story, it's a blast.

Also; saggy harpy tits

ShinAmano

Anyone up to trade some skin dlc codes?

I want:
Apollo, Forgotten Warrior and Dominus

I have or can get:
Phantom of Chaos, Morpheus

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OK, I officially hate this trend of creating the "Spoiler" threads, as I often click on them by accident instead of the official thread.

I always notice it in time, but this time I didn't. I just spoilered myself on what Kratos does at the very end apparently
opens some hope to the world
.Dangit. With this game, I care most how the key moments look like and what happens in them, rather than the ending itself, but still.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
PuppetMaster said:
I just killed
Hercules

The soundtrack in that battle is incredible. Especially the moment when he puts on his Cestus. Epic.

NeoUltima

Speaking of costumes...they still haven't emailed me my Apollo code.

edit:
neojubei said:
If you are suppose to get it from amazon.com, email them and they will send a code very quickly. Same thing happend to a friend of mine.
I got the Amazon code...but you have to enter that code into the GoW website and get a second code to use on PSN. Haven't gotten the second code.

edit2: wow ok wtf. Just decided to directly use the Amazon code on PSstore...and it WORKS.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
NeoUltima said:
Speaking of costumes...they still haven't emailed me my Apollo code.

edit:

I got the Amazon code...but you have to enter that code into the GoW website and get a second code to use on PSN. Haven't gotten the second code.

That's odd, the playstation network emailed me my code. I didnt receive anything from amazon.com directly.

Katana_Strikes said:
I really want to play through again but with all my weapons from the start. So annoyed there's no new game + :/

From one of the interviews Stig said it would break the game because you need certain weapons to advance to different areas. I think that is why SSM put the godly possessions in the game.

Treb

Yeah I entered the first code into the website and I still haven't received the second code for my Phantom of Chaos skin yet either. :(

NeoUltima

neojubei said:
That's odd, the playstation network emailed me my code. I didnt receive anything from amazon.com directly.
My email:
"How to Use Your Apollo in-game skin* Code:
Step 1: Go to http://www.godofwar.com/skins/
Step 2: Enter the code found above
Step 3: Enter your PSN Id and Password.

When the Character Skin is available at launch, PSN will email you the Promotion Code to the e-mail address you provided when registering your PlayStation Network account. The email will include instructions on how to download and install the Character Skin via PSN account management to your PS3 system."

Weird.

Top Bottom