• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Don't remember if I posted impressions earlier.

Got the game last night, AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.

Best graphics I've EVER seen. Mighty impressive. Just finished the
Hades
battle.

okay, just finished it, man it was AWESOME. goty for me so far (heavy rain and me2 were great games but i just couldn't put down the controller in gow3. finished it in one sitting.)
seriously, if you don't have a ps3, buy one to play this. you're missing out on one of the greatest games ever.:D

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm almost done with it. It's not blowing me away as much as the rest of you guys but it is enjoyable. One thing that threw me off was the
Parappa the Rapper mechanic. Really? I'm playing a rhythm game? It was enough to make me shut it off for the night then deal with it the next day.

Raist

Banned
JB1981 said:
Yes, seriously. This game has the best AA I've seen in a console game. It's like one big bullshot.

KZ2 was somewhat jag-free as well. Surprising considering that they used a "poor" AA.

I really, really hope Sucker Punch and Naughty Dogs will use MLAA :3

GuessWho said:
just wondering whats the best/funnest weapon to upgrade? Right now i'm at level 3 blades of exile and maxed out bow, wondering if i should upgrade
hermes shoes
? Are they worth it?

i think its good to upgrade all the accessories since they are only 1 level upgrades and they are cheap too.

I use the Hades Claws as my main weapons, love the area effects.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finally got around to play it today, and so far I'm very pleased. Sure, it doesn't seem to be quite as good as GoW 2, but then again, very few games are. It seems like they've ramped up the combat difficulty a wee bit on normal, but so far (I'm at the
Palace of Hades, 2:21 hours in
) nothing unmanageable. The double jump/glide mechanic was a bit wonky until I learned how to do it, but it's not too bad. Very impressive graphics, even when playing on a CDT TV via composite cable.

hxa155

neojubei said:
He wanted Kratos to stop Ares. Oh and remember Kratos did help the Gods in Chains of Olympus so, Zeus trusted Kratos.

Yep. Zeus was afraid that his son, Ares, would overthrow him the same way Chronos overthrew his father, Uranus and the way Zeus himself took the throne from his father.

I wonder how the Clash of the Titans movie will do being a few weeks after God of War 3 released. People may be more in the mood for a Greek mythology movie.

MiamiWesker said:
I just beat
Hades
on Chaos mode, took about an hour. You really have to learn every attack of the boss, all his tells, whether or not the attack can be blocked. I see the
Hades
fight in a whole new way. As I do this the issues with the combat system do come into play. Not being able to cancel out of certain attacks really sucks. I had to learn which attacks I can cancel and which ones I can't, which are almost all the power attacks. I almost fear getting into a long combo out of fear of getting stuck into an animation when an enemy decides to attack. You have to kind of play it safe.

I also don't like how the harder modes in this game is the basic you get hurt more difficulty. Nothing changes, it's the same enemies, the same attacks, the only things that change is that you get hurt more. Contrast that to games like DMC/NG/Bayonetta where all the enemies change, where all the attack patterns change and sometimes changes what you the player can do.

That said it is fun mastering the combat, clearly not as good as the big boys but it is in no way a button masher.

You can block / roll cancel almost out of every single animation pre-hit frame.

Karram

Just Started playing this game today, and the Graphics are so amazing. Its the Best looking game I've ever played, guess Jaffe was right after all.

Man

SuperSonic1305 said:
I wonder how the Clash of the Titans movie will do being a few weeks after God of War 3 released. People may be more in the mood for a Greek mythology movie.
300 and God of War 2 released similarly. This time though we have an additional bonus with the superb Spartacus Blood and Sand series! It's a big fat greek party.

The Chef

SuperSonic1305 said:

Thats hilarious I literally just posted this in the Clash of the Titans thread:

The Chef said:
I am going to see this purely because I am drunk with the spectacle that is GOW3 currently and am jumping on any excuse to see anything that is remotely close to it.

whew, just finished the game on normal in about 9.5 hours. This was the God of Warsiest of the God of War games, aka the ultimate experience with these western character action games
until Lincoln force

Now i can finally check out this thread and the trials.

I played on Normal first because I wanted a fairly smooth run through as the game is more about the experience than the challenge, imo. Enjoying Titan now I'm playing it though, but I'm glad I understand the mechanics of things first.

Also, I LOVE the godly possessions. Some really cool game tweaks.

Ashes

Banned
The bosses were pretty easy this time round, comparitively speaking, as I played on normal. Is the difficulty spike high on the higher levels... ?

Treb

It's pretty brutal on Titan mode. I played up to the first boss on Normal and it was a lot easier. Think I died about 10 times going against
Poseidon
on Titan mode and only once on Normal mode.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
WTF THE FUCKING FUCK @ THE PUZZLE WITH THE MOVING PILLER AND HERA....WTF!!!.,..BEEN ON THIS BS FOR ALMOST 2 HOURS!!!!!SDJFDFSDF AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!.. I REFUSE TO LOOK AT GAMEFAQS OR ANY GAME GUIDE.. I GOTTA BEAT THIS BS..FUCK!!!!!!!

Finished it a while ago. GREAT game. Some thoughts:

- I think they blew their wad on the first 2 hours in terms of graphics. Nothing was as mind blowing as those first 2 hours for the rest of the game. It's not a case of me getting used to it either, it's just that the environments, and lighting as the game went changed completely which sort of took away from what made those first 2 hours spectacular. Uncharted 2 on the other hand was blowing my mind all the way up to the end.

- The flying vent section can die.
I thought the first time through was bad enough, but going back down was horrible. One wrong move, and you're screwed over and over during the 2 middle sections.

- Thank God they ironed out the frustrating sections on Normal. In both of the previous games, there was some pretty annoying sections to deal with (more so in the first game than the second) but it was 95% smooth sailing here. Not to say that it wasn't difficult enough, cause there were definitely some difficult situations, but nothing that felt impossible.

- Unlike Bayonetta, I can't see myself playing through this one again right away on higher difficulties (then 2 more times right after the 2nd time) The unskippable cutscenes, and QTEs would make it feel more like a chore than a fun time. The combat system also doesn't lend itself to a ton of replay ability on harder difficulties IMO. I'll probably come back to it in a couple of months though.

In the end, it's a great game. A definite front runner when mentioning some of the most impressive looking games right now, and probably the pinnacle of what they will be able to do with the GOW franchise. Instead of immediately moving on to an inevitable sequel or spin off, I'd rather Sony Santa Monica take what they've learned and were able to accomplish, and apply it to a new IP. Another GOW game wouldn't hurt, but there isn't much more you can do with these characters, combat system, and the setting without it feeling like more of the same. It's been a great run but old Kratos, and Olympus deserve a break now.

jhenedo

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Finished it a while ago. GREAT game. Some thoughts:

- I think they blew their wad on the first 2 hours in terms of graphics. Nothing was as mind blowing as those first 2 hours for the rest of the game. It's not a case of me getting used to it either, it's just that the environments, and lighting as the game went changed completely which sort of took away from what made those first 2 hours spectacular. Uncharted 2 on the other hand was blowing my mind all the way up to the end.

Kronos is a sad puppy tonight.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Just beat this, this game.

Umm, maybe I got an early build version but man I think I'm going to try and forget 3 and consider 2 as the end to the series. I can't believe how bad this game is:lol

Terrible dialogue, terrible QTE's, terrible story, terrible boss fights, terrible character design, terrible voice overs, terrible environments, terrible lighting, terrible level design, terrible A.I. That's enough "terribles" for now but if you want a game that fails to match it's predecessor in every way it's for you. It's like Santa Monica copy and pasted the same environment for 90% of the game and made it darker and more poorly lit than the last:lol

What a joke of game, the hype machine has failed me once more.

Back to Yakuza 3.

Shurs

Liquidus said:

Umm, maybe I got an early build version but man I think I'm going to try and forget 3 and consider 2 as the end to the series. I can't believe how bad this game is:lol

Terrible dialogue, terrible QTE's, terrible story, terrible boss fights, terrible character design, terrible voice overs, terrible environments, terrible lighting, terrible level design, terrible A.I. That's enough "terribles" for now but if you want a game that fails to match it's predecessor in every way it's for you. It's like Santa Monica copy and pasted the same environment for 90% of the game and made it darker and more poorly lit than the last:lol

Back to Yakuza 3.

Liquidus
Aggressively Stupid
(Today, 08:08 PM)
Reply | Quote

torontoml

nskinnear said:
Fuck you,
ice scorpion

I guess I'll call it a night. Almost done my Titan run...
I didn't find it too bad actually, cestus and using its magic on the small ones made it pretty ok.

jhenedo said:
Kronos is a sad puppy tonight.

GRAPHICALLY, the first 2 hours still beat Cronos IMO. If we're talking about scale, or general "epicness," that's a different story, but my original comments were about the graphics.

Monocle

Liquidus said:

Back to Yakuza 3.
jl6rkl.gif

jhenedo

Banned
Liquidus said:

Back to Yakuza 3.

Umm..WAT?

Greg

nskinnear said:
I actually got really close to beating it on my first attempt. The problem is that those
little scorpions
always get me as I'm
wailing away at the legs
I just spammed O near the small ones any time he did an attack and the QTE sequence won't let you get hit - and plus you get health from them

No_Style

It's been awhile since I've seen trolling like that.

More than half of Liquidus complaints are more appropriate to Yakuza 3.

I still want to play Y3 despite its flaws. :p

JudgeN

Holy fuck at
Chronos fight, holy fuck

I really holy hope Sucker punch is looking at MLAA for Infamous 2, it would be wonderful. Is there any tech info on MLAA? would be wonderful to read at work.

Eliciel

Now what do you think how many units will be sold of god of war III?

I think in the end it will peak at around 5 million units if not it will be a huge disappointment for me personally... if it sells more , FINE :D

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
JudgeN said:
Holy fuck at
Chronos fight, holy fuck

I really holy hope Sucker punch is looking at MLAA for Infamous 2, it would be wonderful. Is there any tech info on MLAA? would be wonderful to read at work.

I hope Sucker Punch uses it, man infamous 2 would look so good.

tass0

Banned
Finished it a few days ago, I never played a (console) GoW game before, but this one was absolutely amazing.

Overall a 9.5. Would of been a 10 if Pandora was removed. :p

Liquidus said:

Back to Yakuza 3.

687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif

Classic24

Banned
I just finished the game today, THE BEST ACTION GAME OF THIS GENERATION AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE, HOLY SHIT the combat system and the graphics are the cream of the crop. And holy shit to the ending............I guess I liked it and it sort of made sense.........

Top Bottom