• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
thetrin said:
You could say that about both. The point is irrelevant. GoW3 is significantly shorter than GoW2 (a plus for me. GoW2 went on forever)

I'm not disputing that GOW3 is shorter than 2, but I think they might have changed the way time is recorded. In GOW2 it most definitely racks up the time even when you play the same section repeatedly. My final time on Titan mode was almost 20 hours. If the guy you are responding to is correct about the game timer in GOW3, then they've changed the way it works.

Magnus

PuppetMaster said:
814155141_3dnYd-L.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Doc Evils

I can't believe they topped GOW 2's opening sequence. D:

But anyway, I need help:
I started the game on Titan and the Hades boss is raping my arse pretty bad. I manage to rip the flesh of him, but the part after that he just goes crazy cutting me up with his blades. help :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm not disputing that GOW3 is shorter than 2, but I think they might have changed the way time is recorded. In GOW2 it most definitely racks up the time even when you play the same section repeatedly. My final time on Titan mode was almost 20 hours. If the guy you are responding to is correct about the game timer in GOW3, then they've changed the way it works.

They definitely have. The timer doesn't continually tick along as it does in GoW2. Rather, when you reload a save or checkpoint, the timer reverts back to whatever point it was at when that save/checkpoint occurred.

I don't know why it was deemed necessary to change it. Such an approach to the game timer just makes the game feel shorter... and that's something you want to avoid in a game with so few locales. :lol

I think for the ending to have really sent the series off, they needed to show the aftermath of everything with kratos. which they did not.

GuessWho

just wondering whats the best/funnest weapon to upgrade? Right now i'm at level 3 blades of exile and maxed out bow, wondering if i should upgrade
hermes shoes
? Are they worth it?

Pancho

Qurupancho
GuessWho said:
just wondering whats the best/funnest weapon to upgrade? Right now i'm at level 3 blades of exile and maxed out bow, wondering if i should upgrade
hermes shoes
? Are they worth it?

IMO, the last weapon you get(forgot their name) is the funnest to use.

Raist

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Anyone have some good
Cerebus on Titan mode
tips?

Use the Cestus. When the fight begins, dash towards him and hold square as he'll spit out a few puppies, you have enough time to do so. Then keep dashing all over the place, away and towards him, and land 1-2 punches every time you come close enough. Pay attention to those stupid dogs and try to lure them into exploding in his face.
When you rip off one head, switch to Hades' claws and summon a gorgon soul to stone the Satyr, blow it up. Rinse and repeat.

The toughest part is after you rip off his second head as 2 Satyrs will spawn. You have to get quite lucky and plan it carefully to stone them at the same time, because you'll only be able to use this magic twice even with a full magic bar. If you only manage to stone one, try avoiding the remaining one as much as possible while punching Cerberus. When it dies, take care of the remaining goat by spamming grabs.

kikanny

GuessWho said:
hermes shoes
? Are they worth it?
Personally I liked the
Hades Claws
. It was very flashy. But
Cestus
is certainly powerful.

DihcarEM

Just started on chaos, so far it's going well. Just got to
the underworld

I'm dreading a few tough fights close to the end.

drmcclin said:
What? Really??!?! I just replayed GOW1 in anticipation last week, and was wondering what the significance was. Mind Blown.

Probably a stupid question, but why exactly is he helping Kratos?

Yeah, it has heavily implied since the first came out.

He was helping him because he was his son, probably his favorite one(as this is further implied in gow 3).
A lot of people seem to forget that Kratos was known as the Champion of the gods, he served them faithfully for 10years. He didn't just wake up one day and said, "Hey i wanna kill everyone.".
What however doesn't make sense is why did Zeus allow Kratos to find and open Pandaro's box in part 1. Ending spoiler gow3:
Zeus put all that evil,darkness inside the box so it makes no sense for him to not try and stop Kratos in part 1. Also a mistake is Hephastus saying that the day Kratos opened that box, fear(the evil) gripped Zeus. Why save Kratos from killing himself and making him a god? I'm pretty sure to make someone a god they need Zeus's clearance.

Trying out Chaos mode, already died 15+ times up to Hades.

Hades needs to chill out. He is relentless, he really wants me dead. So much fun though.:D

crpav

I finally got my Ultimate Edition today that I ordered from Best Buy. I already knew from others that it's not worth the extra $40 but what makes me more upset is how the outisde cardboard box is dented, scratched and somewhat beat up. I know it's just the outside box but being a collector and the box being the display aspect of it just kind of makes me mad.

Scotch

I finished it last night.

Apart from the epic opening, I was kinda down on the first half of the game, but towards the second half I started liking it more and more. Some of the stuff I didn't like:

- Story-wise, GOW1 remains my favorite. My main complaint with the story in God of War 3 is that Kratos is just kind of an ass. The game kept asking me to kill dudes I didn't want to kill.

- The game had some weird issues. Like I had trouble opening chests at first, as if my R1 button was broken. Then later in the game it worked fine. There's also a part early in the game where I wanted to go back to check out a different path for chests, but couldn't, so I had to load a previous save.

- I didn't like any of the new weapons, plus I don't think the different moveset for the Blades of Exile was an improvement.

Overall though, I loved it. And man, does it look phenomenal.

thechemist

GOD OF WAR 3 Trilogy £54.99 play.com

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/14153238/God-Of-War-Trilogy/Product.html

(EDIT - Trilogy at Zavvi for £49.95 http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps3/god-of-war-trilogy/10085206.html)

God of War Collection £17.99 play.com

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/12311345/God-Of-War-Collection/Product.html

Posted on 22 March by Thach Quach – Senior European Product Manager, SCEE
More God Of War Brutality Coming Your Way!

Hi guys

With God of War III having now launched across PAL Territories, I’m delighted to confirm that we will also be releasing the ‘God of War Collection’ (€39.99/£24.99 RRP) as follows:

* UK, Ireland, Germany & Austria: 30th April 2010
* Australia & New Zealand: 29th April 2010
* Rest of PAL: 28th April 2010

The God of War Collection includes ‘God of War’ and ‘God of War II’ (previously released on PlayStation 2) remastered in HD, running at 60 fps, with Trophy support, all on one Blu-ray Disc!

Here is the packshot for you :D

4453984852_8e9c15e7e9_m.jpg

But that is not all…! If you haven’t experienced what the God of War series is all about, well, we are also planning to launch a ‘God of War Trilogy’ boxset (€89.99/£64.99) at the same time as the standalone God of War Collection game which will include:

God of War Collection

God of War III

For newcomers to the franchise, this is your chance to experience the multi-award winning series in its entirety. Check out the packaging box below, hope you like it!

Thach

4453984744_a57dbbec0d.jpg

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/03/22/more-god-of-war-brutality-coming-your-way/

I just beat
Hades
on Chaos mode, took about an hour. You really have to learn every attack of the boss, all his tells, whether or not the attack can be blocked. I see the
Hades
fight in a whole new way. As I do this the issues with the combat system do come into play. Not being able to cancel out of certain attacks really sucks. I had to learn which attacks I can cancel and which ones I can't, which are almost all the power attacks. I almost fear getting into a long combo out of fear of getting stuck into an animation when an enemy decides to attack. You have to kind of play it safe.

I also don't like how the harder modes in this game is the basic you get hurt more difficulty. Nothing changes, it's the same enemies, the same attacks, the only things that change is that you get hurt more. Contrast that to games like DMC/NG/Bayonetta where all the enemies change, where all the attack patterns change and sometimes changes what you the player can do.

That said it is fun mastering the combat, clearly not as good as the big boys but it is in no way a button masher.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Deepack said:
Finished it.

Gotta say. I am actually dissapointed with how they handled the ending and story.

Yup, this was my biggest problem with the game. The ending goes to shit and
sets up the next game... but there are no gods left to fight? This series was supposed to be a trilogy, but the corporate whores have decided to milk the franchise and the engine for more installments. I can understand wanting to get more of your investment back on the next-gen development with another sequel, but when you've written yourself into a corner it seems pointless. What they should have done is ended the series with III, then had another pre-quel for GOW4: Ancient Warfare.

Apoc29

I never really used the
Nemesis Whip
. By the time I got it, my other weapons were maxed out so I thought what's the point.

Finished it. This was my first real playthrough of a God of War game, and I have to say I loved almost every minute of it.

+ Epic. Epic. Epic Scale. Yes, it is. 'nuff said.
+ Incredible image quality and smooth framerate. Hitched at times, but never when it mattered. It *is* a painting come to life. I showed the first 40 minutes to a good friend of mine who's into mythology and he nearly wept with joy.
+ Combat is simple, but takes some time to work out the best strategies when dealing with different combinations of foes. Weapon and ability upgrades end up giving you so many damn real-time possibilities in combat that by the end of the game you really do feel like a God of War.
+ Blood and gore are the best I've seen in a game to date.
+ Music is pretty glorious, especially when you get to those "Kill Bill" like scenes.
+ Kevin Sorbo Hercules made me laugh my ass off, along with their conversation. :)
+ Lighting, and how it plays into the game mechanics.

- Combinations of enemies seemed to be pretty random. From what little I played of previous GoW games the enemies fit the story and environment better. In this game it seems to just throw "interesting" mixes of bad guys just to keep the combat interesting, but because of that the combat seems removed from the story at large for the most part.
- Too many combat scenarios and puzzles require you to die first before figuring out how to progress.
- Platforming is iffy, and leads to a lot of needless deaths. Not based upon difficulty but on sometimes unresponsive controls.
- Ending seemed subdued compared to the rest of the game, but since I haven't played through the first two games maybe that's just me.

All in all, as a hack and slash fan this is one of my favorite games this generation, and Santa Monica Studio should be grinning from ear to ear at what they managed to accomplish. Fucking awesome work.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
MiamiWesker said:
I just beat
Hades
on Chaos mode, took about an hour. You really have to learn every attack of the boss, all his tells, whether or not the attack can be blocked. I see the
Hades
fight in a whole new way. As I do this the issues with the combat system do come into play. Not being able to cancel out of certain attacks really sucks. I had to learn which attacks I can cancel and which ones I can't, which are almost all the power attacks. I almost fear getting into a long combo out of fear of getting stuck into an animation when an enemy decides to attack. You have to kind of play it safe.

I also don't like how the harder modes in this game is the basic you get hurt more difficulty. Nothing changes, it's the same enemies, the same attacks, the only things that change is that you get hurt more. Contrast that to games like DMC/NG/Bayonetta where all the enemies change, where all the attack patterns change and sometimes changes what you the player can do.

That said it is fun mastering the combat, clearly not as good as the big boys but it is in no way a button masher.

I'm halfway through the game on Chaos myself, and I'm dying plenty. There are few encounters I've beaten on the first try, but I attribute some of that to sort of experimenting with what strategies are viable and which aren't.

I wouldn't call the inability to cancel some moves an "issue." It's obviously by design, such that more powerful moves put you at greater risk. Nonetheless, L1+square should be avoided in most situations. I guess you could call that an issue, but I never liked that move anyway so I don't care. :p

While it's true that they don't redistribute enemy types for the harder difficulties, they do change enemy behavior in addition to damage. They are more aggressive and more will attack you simultaneously.

One thing I am noticing while dying a million times is that some of the checkpoints before encounters happen BEFORE a little introductory camera pan or mini-cinematic, and that is nearly intolerable to me. Checkpoints should ALWAYS be after the scene is set. I don't care if that means that the instant I restart a guy is attacking me. I have very little patience for watching the same thing again and again even if it's only 5 seconds long. I feel like this checkpoint/cinematic issue is a lot worse in this game than in GOW2. Surely they don't need those little scenes to cover up loading some enemies.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I wouldn't call the inability to cancel some moves an "issue." It's obviously by design, such that more powerful moves put you at greater risk. Nonetheless, L1+square should be avoided in most situations. I guess you could call that an issue, but I never liked that move anyway so I don't care. :p
This was the only move I really had to learn to use only in the right circumstances. Otherwise you get beat down while still winding through the animations.

But when you think of it, it does make sense, and not just as a risk/reward thing. You're spinning your weapons around you in a circle with serious momentum - that requires some windup to start, and you wouldn't just be able to "stop" that whirling on a dime. If you could the animation for that would look pretty damn funny.

At least that's how I rationalized it anyway. But it works on a pure gameplay level as well and helps to mix combat up by forcing you to pay attention to the right openings for some of your more powerful moves.

Cruzader

Banned
jett said:
I think the game had more cut-scenes than any previous GOW game, and consequently less gameplay, also a lot of reused locations, I dunno. I was surprised how much of the game took place in Hades, to be honest the scenery didn't look that varied, and I was expecting something more suitably epic-looking for Mount Olympus. Remember the GOW1 ending with the awesome-looking golden scenery? What happened to that? :p

I definitely think they either ran out of money or time or manpower or something. With their titan tech and whatnot the endgame battles could've been much more epic.

edit: I also regret watching the GTTV special. That douche Keighly said how they only scratched the surface or whatever but they pretty much showed the entire game.

That's your all damn fault. You knew going in that GT(TV) spoils everything.

anyone know where I can find tips on how to complete the challenges? I've only completed two so far.

Also, how is the combat arena?

edit: i found some videos on youtube to help with the challenges.

Hixx

The
spike room in the labyrinth
is either glitched on my save or fucking terribly designed. The second time its about to turn,
I jump on the harpy, hold on till it gets all slow-motiony and looks like you're about to fall off etc then jump off. Every. single. pissing. time, the room manages to take like a second too long to spin. And I die.

It's the only part in the game thats pissed me off (bar the game deciding who you want to attack. Yeah man, lets kill all the little enemies first and annoy that thing with the giant claws trying to fucking rip me apart). Had to take a break cos I was on the verge of raging :lol No game since I stopped playing PES has made me this frustrated.

Away from in-game stuff, SCEE has really taken the biscuit with the Trilogy/Collection release. I mean, it's just stupid. Why would you release the re-made prequels a month and a half after the last sequel? Mind boggling stupidity. The trilogy release is just fucking over loyal fans, which is no surprise. I really thought we'd passed the stage of having to import games or face waits of 4-5 months this gen (in regards to the GoW Collection). To have to wait for a western game (that had already been translated for their original releases!) longer than we did for Final Fantasy... bah. SCEE. I'll get the collection, but can't justify paying again for GoW3. Even if the box art is brilliant...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
HixxSAFC said:
The
spike room in the labyrinth
is either glitched on my save or fucking terribly designed. The second time its about to turn,
I jump on the harpy, hold on till it gets all slow-motiony and looks like you're about to fall off etc then jump off. Every. single. pissing. time, the room manages to take like a second too long to spin. And I die.
You're not supposed to press anything after you've latched on. If you do, you'll let go too early.

JB1981

Raist said:
Yeah. From now on devs have absolutely no excuse whatsoever. If GoWIII can have such a powerful AA, any game can. Jaggies ban on PS3 games plz.

Yes, seriously. This game has the best AA I've seen in a console game. It's like one big bullshot.

Stillmatic

ShinAmano said:
Beat it on Titan last night (first play through) will do same on Chaos...game is just much easier than the other GoWs and that move definitely helps.
I never got around to playing through Titan in GoWII, but i finished God Mode in the original GoW. Playing through Chaos now, it's is definitely harder than that God Mode.

For those that've done Chaos, are there any extras unlocked for beating it, like a costume at least?

I think they should make a game where Kratos goes through time to all the major battles of the world and just destroys everyone.

Kratos ripping Hitlers mustache off would be awesome.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
While it's true that they don't redistribute enemy types for the harder difficulties, they do change enemy behavior in addition to damage. They are more aggressive and more will attack you simultaneously.

Also on Titan mode mobs and bosses 'stagger' when hit with the stronger attacks more so than on Chaos, which offcourse lessens dominating play immensely, which to me is the biggest difficulty upgrade more so than receiving more damage and doing less damage. Bosses also stagger less on Chaos like the Leviathan when he hovers above you to spew water, you initiate the typhoon he will not stagger like he does on Titan.

I have noticed Hades attacks more viciously with his Chains on Chaos, while on Titan he tries to step on you much more. Yea, it seem to me thus far AI on chaos changes how you play.

onken

Gotta say, slightly disappointed with the Challenge of Olympus. Finished the whole thing in about 30 minutes, didn't even need to look up strategies. Though to be fair I guess anything's easy after Death from Above and Perfection is Divine :lol

Top Bottom