• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Last trophy question...lol

For the hidden one...
how hard is it to get through the Labyrinth without dying/failing? If i make a save when i get there, and then just keep using the saves only if i didnt die/fail on my way there will that work? If i do die/fail, my plan would be to just reload the save where i didnt die/fail...will that work?

gillFTR

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

For the hidden one...
how hard is it to get through the Labyrinth without dying/failing? If i make a save when i get there, and then just keep using the saves only if i didnt die/fail on my way there will that work? If i do die/fail, my plan would be to just reload the save where i didnt die/fail...will that work?

Yes that would work its pretty easy. I did it on my first playthrough but I did save it just incase(I was playing on easy).

KingGondo

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:

For the hidden one...
There's only one save point, and it's at the beginning IIRC. I assume if you die you can just reload that save and have a clean slate.

The trophy itself isn't too hard to get (as long as you're familiar with the enemies and puzzles), but there are a few places along the way where you could die if you're not careful. Most notably, the "rotating spike room" and the fight at the end, with lots of wraiths and sirens. It would probably be extremely tough on Titan or above, I did it on God difficulty and didn't have too much trouble.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
gillFTR said:
Yes that would work its pretty easy. I did it on my first playthrough but I did save it just incase(I was playing on easy).

Ok thanks...I already did one playthrough on Titan, and im now going to do a 2nd on Easy for my last 3 or so that i need for my platinum. Thanks for the info guys!

uraldix

BeeDog said:
I'm pretty sure you have to find them all in one playthrough, though I'm not 100 % certain.

Nope, it counts across playthroughs. I got the trophy on my second playthough before I had all ten on it.

Just beat the game. Now I can read all the spoilers in this thread!

Incredible experience overall. It does have some low points, but only because the high points of this game are so god damn high. This is a definitely the new benchmark for epic action games.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I beat
Hercules
last night. I kind of felt bad, but he started it! I loved his modeling and VA.

As I get new weapons I'm not sure which ones are worth upgrading. Should I get all to level 2, before moving one to level 3?

This game is amazing so far. I'm really enjoying it. The new weapons
(Hades Hooks)
are awesome. Am I incorrect in finding the first Gorgon Eye right after
pulling off and using Helios' head?

Grady Durden said:
This game is amazing so far. I'm really enjoying it. The new weapons
(Hades Hooks)
are awesome. Am I incorrect in finding the first Gorgon Eye right after
pulling off and using Helios' head?

I don't remember exactly but I'm sure there was gorgon eyes in Hades. There are many guides online if you want to make sure you get them all on your first play through.

John

There are more eyes/horns/feathers than you can use, and they're all easy to find, I wouldn't worry about it. You get the trophies for reaching max health/magic/item, too, not for finding them all.

venom2124

DeadGzuz said:
I beat
Hercules
last night. I kind of felt bad, but he started it! I loved his modeling and VA.

As I get new weapons I'm not sure which ones are worth upgrading. Should I get all to level 2, before moving one to level 3?
I find focusing on your favored weapon works better than equally upgrading each. I upgrade the standard blades first, then work on the Cestus. Those are the two most useful weapons in Titan mode for me. If you have been findng most of the secret chests you will upgrade each item to the max by the end of the game anyway. Might as well have a fully upgraded weapon as soon as possible.

MrPliskin

Banned
To be clear, there are only TEN godly possessions right? Because apparently I'm still missing something. I have one left
Zeus
but two question marks in the items area. Any ideas?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
WTF!? Hercules pummeled me through the floor/wall like 3 times. He hit me so hard he sent me flying through the floor/wall outside of the game world and I died each time. Only glitch I've encountered thus far. Not sure how that got through testing.

MrPliskin said:
To be clear, there are only TEN godly possessions right? Because apparently I'm still missing something. I have one left
Zeus
but two question marks in the items area. Any ideas?

you get
hera's
closer to the end of the game. you wont have to look for it, it is required for something so you will get it for sure.

Minamu

I cheated my way to the Maxed Out! trophy today :lol Pretty dirty but hey :p There are instructions on n4g & ps3trophies.org. You need to beat the challenge maps first though, to get the combat arena.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Minamu said:
I cheated my way to the Maxed Out! trophy today :lol Pretty dirty but hey :p There are instructions on n4g & ps3trophies.org. You need to beat the challenge maps first though, to get the combat arena.

I ended up maxing mine out in my first playthrough on Titan just before i fought
Zeus.
I ended up with over 2,000 extra.

MrPliskin

Banned
Kos Luftar said:
you get
hera's
closer to the end of the game. you wont have to look for it, it is required for something so you will get it for sure.
Well, this is my second playthrough. Does anyone have a list of all the items to include the ones that aren't from the gods?

Foov

If I miss one of the godly possessions on my first playthrough, can I just reload one of the older save files to get it, or do I have to start and complete a whole new playthrough? Anyone know thanks?

This fucking cerberus with his damn dogs. I know the theory, use his pups against him, but damn if the auto-targeting on the grabbing isn't fucking stupid. I don't want to grab the goddamn satyr.

Die Squirrel Die said:
This fucking cerberus with his damn dogs. I know the theory, use his pups against him, but damn if the auto-targeting on the grabbing isn't fucking stupid. I don't want to grab the goddamn satyr.
I just ignored the dogs and the cerberus until the satyrs were dead. Use gorgon soul and magic on them. Once they're dead, ignore the pups and just roll around using the Cestus on the big dog.

MrPliskin said:
Well, this is my second playthrough. Does anyone have a list of all the items to include the ones that aren't from the gods?

* Zeus' Eagle - Infinite Rage of Sparta
* Hades' Helm - Max out Health, Magic and Item Meters
* Helios' Shield - Increase the Hits Counter by 3 times
* Hermes' Coin - Collect 10 time the amount of Red Orbs
* Hercules' Shoulder Guard - Increase damage taken by a third
* Poseidon's Conch Shell - Infinite Magic
* Aphrodite's Garter - Continue to use Athena's Blades (the main weapon from the game's intro / while active, switch to another weapon to Combat Grapple)
* Hephaestus' Ring - Automatically win all Context Sensitive Attacks ("Quick Time Events")
* Daedalus' Schematics - Infinite item use
* Hera's Chalice - Causes the Health Meter to slowly drain over time, never completely emptying it
Listen in order of when you can get them.

Die Squirrel Die said:

It's a pain in the balls. Throwing the Satyrs in there was dirty pool. Course, some of it's my fault, since getting the cestus all I want to do is stand and pound shit.

Banned
Lifejumper said:
You can't go to easy mode when you die a x amount of times on Chaos mode? :/

Does anyone know if changing to easy mode on affects the fighting in this one like in 1 & 2?

One thing,
flying down the icarus vent for the last time
I passed it first time on my first playthrough on easy, and then died like 30 times in Titan mode. I could swear it's MUCH harder in Titan mode.

Also, that prompt to change to easy mode is pretty annoying when you keep dying in a non-fighting part of the game. They should have checked for this.

Note: Just got my platinum. The challenges are MUCH, MUCH easier this time 'round. I did most of them on my first try. It's really sinking in now just HOW FUCKING AWESOME this game is.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Die Squirrel Die said:

He was an absolute bastard on Titan. Here's how i beat him...

As soon as battle starts roll behind Cerebrus and immediately whale on him using your Cestus. Keep rolling and moving as he does so your behind him as much as possible. The exploding dogs will explode on the front of him instead of you. Once you nail this pattern down, you can beat the whole first phase without getting hit once.

As soon as you finish with your QTE, a Satyr will spawn. Immediately switch weapons so you are using the one that lets you summon the different Soul types with R2 (forgot the name). Go into the menu and select the Gorgons soul (forgot name, but the one that turns people to stone). Once out, ignore cerebrus for a second and R2 and stone the Satyr. Then shatter him. Go back and focus on the Cerebrus again using the same strategy as the beginning...stay behind him and pound him with the Cestus. After not too long, you'll do another QTE.

For the last part, you will deal with Cerebrus and two satyrs. Equip your regular blades, and use R2 when the satyrs are close together to drop that shield and spam O. Repeat this whenever they are close together until your magic is gone. If your lucky, you also might have a full rage of the gods meter. If so, NOW's the time to use it and pound on Cerebrus, and ignore the satyrs. Once rage of the gods is gone, repeat your tactic of getting behind Cerebrus and nailing him with Cestus. Its tricky since you need to watch out for the satyrs, but cerebrus should be alot weaker from your earlier rage of the gods and it wont take long for the last QTE. Once hes dead its just the two satyrs.

If you have magic back, again switch to regular blades and do the R2 magic that drops the shield whenever theyre close together until your magic is gone. If your lucky one of them will die, or if not it will only need a few hits to die after that. At that point, piece of cake...just keep grabbing the one thats left and your done.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
00011000 said:
Does anyone know if changing to easy mode on affects the fighting in this one like in 1 & 2?

One thing,
flying down the icarus vent for the last time
I passed it first time on my first playthrough on easy, and then died like 30 times in Titan mode. I could swear it's MUCH harder in Titan mode.

Also, that prompt to change to easy mode is pretty annoying when you keep dying in a non-fighting part of the game. They should have checked for this.

Note: Just got my platinum. The challenges are MUCH, MUCH easier this time 'round. I did most of them on my first try. It's really sinking in now just HOW FUCKING AWESOME this game is.

I did my first play on Titan and i dont think its as much as theyre harder as much as you lose so much more life when you get hit compared to lower difficulties.

IMO, i hate those sections altogether and wish they werent there at all.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lifejumper said:
You can't go to easy mode when you die a x amount of times on Chaos mode? :/

If you're playing on Chaos mode, it's because you want it to be extremely hard. Why bother offering the change? You can't change it back to Chaos after that, can you?

00011000 said:

What else would it change? Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
I did my first play on Titan and i dont think its as much as theyre harder as much as you lose so much more life when you get hit compared to lower difficulties.

IMO, i hate those sections altogether and wish they werent there at all.

Ah, that makes a whole lot of sense.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
00011000 said:
YOU MUST BE CRAZY!!!!..THEIR HARD AS A MFER! lol

GeoramA

Beat the game (Normal Mode). Ending was fine, but sucks if it's the last we see Kratos (which I doubt)

Was gonna start Titan mode next, but I'm pretty burnt out on action games right now. My last three games have been the entire GoW trilogy.

It's been an awesome ride :D Moving on to Just Cause 2 now.

DihcarEM

hey_it's_that_dog said:
If you're playing on Chaos mode, it's because you want it to be extremely hard. Why bother offering the change? You can't change it back to Chaos after that, can you?

Yeah, you can't.
I'm on chaos now, just got to the
Labyrinth for the second time, this is where it's really going to get tough. I dread the final fight inside the lab and the upcoming scorpion king + the cerberus fight. I got everything ready for dealing with them. Hercules gloves maxed out and the gorgon magic.

This is gonna get me a lot of hate but I'll say it anyway.

GOWIII>GOWI>GOWII.

Why? God of War brought back that "purpose" feeling to the series of what you were doing, and the story very clearly gives you what's going on without saying "what?" except for a few times, which have already been discussed to death. GOWII on the other hand, most of the stuff just felt random as hell and sure the environments were diverse and it was an excellent game but it just didn't compare to the story of the first one. It was basically cutscene starts, Kratos runs into some random person, they start fighting and then BAM you have his/her weapon. The
Babarian King
and
Icarus
felt within the universe, but wasn't "properly" set up. I mean they both, literally, just show up out of nowhere.

That's my two cents.

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:

Once you go easy, you can't go back. Pretty pointless.

It would make sense for the game to ask if you want to go down one level. It's a bit silly to go from Chaos to Easy. (for example)

This whole feature stinks of vestige and last-gen thinking though. They should have updated it a bit.

Other complaints I have that are just niggles, but contribute to the overall refinement in thinking of a game:

- no chapter selection
- not knowing when auto-saving occurs
- having save points in general (have quicksave or savepoints, not both! man, that's stupid)
- screen after collecting 3 feathers/gorgon/minotaur horns is slow and rather plain
- can't skip cutscenes!
- retry after dying is way too slow. Look at Uncharted 2, the scene where the building collapses, you can play that again and again (by not jumping out the window) and it restarts instantaneously.
- no game plus
- sometimes the R1 prompt doesn't come up when you step into a save point.

After getting a platinum, I'm still not certain if the Godly possessions carry over from one game to the next. Or If they will survive if I delete all my saves. (I created a new file at every savepoint)

I wish these things were better thought out and more transparent. They all add up to making the game something I don't readily want to visit again.

spats

Finally beat it today and watched all the making of-videos to boot.

I liked the ending,
but easily my favourite part was the mythical rhythm game with X O [] /\, that gave me a good chuckle.

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:

it could change the platforming sections? or the
Icarus vent
sections or make the QTEs easier for example. But I'm guessing none of these thing change.

ZeroRay

00011000 said:
Once you go easy, you can't go back. Pretty pointless.

It would make sense for the game to ask if you want to go down one level. It's a bit silly to go from Chaos to Easy. (for example)

This whole feature stinks of vestige and last-gen thinking though. They should have updated it a bit.

Other complaints I have that are just niggles, but contribute to the overall refinement in thinking of a game:

- no chapter selection
- not knowing when auto-saving occurs
- having save points in general (have one or the other, not both!)
- screen after collecting 3 feathers/gorgon/minotaur horns is slow and rather plain
- can't skip cutscenes!
- retry after dying is way too slow. Look at Uncharted 2, the scene where the building collapses, you can play that again and again (by not jumping out the window) and it restarts instantaneously.

After getting a platinum, I'm still not certain if the Godly possessions carry over from one save to the next. Or If they will survive if I delete all my saves. (I created a new file at every savepoint)

I wish these things were better thought out and more transparent. They all add up to making the game something I don't readily want to visit again.

Well, we have the magic of patches this gen to fix things like this. :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TacticalFox88 said:
It was basically cutscene starts, Kratos runs into some random person, they start fighting and then BAM you have his/her weapon. The
Babarian King
and
Icarus
felt within the universe, but wasn't "properly" set up. I mean they both, literally, just show up out of nowhere.

That's my two cents.

Isn't that not very different from Hermes, Helios, and Hercules? You see them at the very start of the game, sure, but then they just show up, you kill them, then move on with your life.

Banned
ZeroRay said:
Well, we have the magic of patches this gen to fix things like this. :lol

Missed opportunity if you ask me. I'd be playing the game again right now if I didn't have to watch the cutscenes again. Guess I better just go get the GoW2 plat instead. :D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
00011000 said:
After getting a platinum, I'm still not certain if the Godly possessions carry over from one game to the next. Or If they will survive if I delete all my saves. (I created a new file at every savepoint)
They do. I saved over my save for the game that I had gotten all of the possessions without finishing it and I still had all of them.

Banned
Papercuts said:
Isn't that not very different from Hermes, Helios, and Hercules? You see them at the very start of the game, sure, but then they just show up, you kill them, then move on with your life.

I think it is quite different actually. It's a subtle but important difference. That little bit at the start sets up the whole game, and lends massive coherency to proceedings. not the case with 2 at all.

I'd rate them as follows:

Story
1 > 3 > 2

Overall
3 > 2 > 1

It really does depend where your priorities lie. The story and cohesion of that story are the only things lacking from 2 & 3, but they are better games than 1 in almost every other respect.

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
That was awesome.

really? I almost rolled my eyes at that part. :p Thinking couldn't they have come up something a bit more... inventive?
Guitar Hero
was invented in Ancient Greece!

It seems like who ever liked GoWII>GoWI , thinks GoWII>GoWIII, and it looks like who ever liked GoWI>GoWII, thinks GoWIII is the best of them all.

I wish Jaffe continued the story and not Corey, because in the first game it didn't really look like he was going to get that bad that he would kill all the gods. I was hoping GoWII would be some kind of showdown between Kratos and his brother.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
00011000 said:
really? I almost rolled my eyes at that part. :p Thinking couldn't they have come up something a bit more... inventive?
Guitar Hero
was invented in Ancient Greece!

It was awesome exactly because it was such an obvious tongue in cheek jab at
rhytm/music games like Guitar Hero
:lol

00011000 said:
I think it is quite different actually. It's a subtle but important difference. That little bit at the start sets up the whole game, and lends massive coherency to proceedings. not the case with 2 at all.

I'd rate them as follows:

Story
1 > 3 > 2

Overall
3 > 2 > 1

It really does depend where your priorities lie. The story and cohesion of that story are the only things lacking from 2 & 3, but they are better games than 1 in almost every other respect.

My ratings would be

Story
1>2=3

Overall (not counting graphics, as GoW 3 would win by default)
2>3>1

RavenFox

Banned
Kos Luftar said:
It seems like who ever liked GoWII>GoWI , thinks GoWII>GoWIII, and it looks like who ever liked GoWI>GoWII, thinks GoWIII is the best of them all.

I wish Jaffe continued the story and not Corey, because in the first game it didn't really look like he was going to get that bad that he would kill all the gods. I was hoping GoWII would be some kind of showdown between Kratos and his brother.
Hmmm you might be on to something here Kos

NZNova

Loving the game so far. I just
finished the labyrinth and dived back down the great chain to the judges
. How much more is there to go?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
NZNova said:
Loving the game so far. I just
finished the labyrinth and dived back down the great chain to the judges
. How much more is there to go?

Not all that much. An hour or two to go, I'd say.

Top Bottom