• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

NeoUltima

Well now...Looks like I have a 2nd Apollo skin...
Entered code Amazon gave me to enter on gow.com
Waited forever, psn never emailed me the code.
Tried original code amazon gave me directly on the PS store, and amazingly it worked(contrary to their instructions)
But now, PSN has finally emailed me the code from entering the Amazon code on gow.com.

So yeah...(damn that sounds confusing, I couldn't find a way to make more sense of it)

edit: already gone y'all

kikanny

NeoUltima said:
Tried original code amazon gave me directly on the PS store, and amazingly it worked(contrary to their instructions)
But now, PSN has finally emailed me the code from entering the Amazon code on gow.com.

So yeah...(damn that sounds confusing, I couldn't find a way to make more sense of it)
I could take that 2nd Apollo skin off your hands if you like...:D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really don't understand the dialogue in the
Cronos
fight.
Why does he keep calling Kratos a coward for killing his kin? I mean, this is Cronos! The guy kinda known for eating all of his kids.

If that is supposed to be ironic, all it really does is make Cronos seem like an even bigger retard than the fight already portrayed him as.

ZeroRay

Papercuts said:
I really don't understand the dialogue in the
Cronos
fight.
Why does he keep calling Kratos a coward for killing his kin? I mean, this is Cronos! The guy kinda known for eating all of his kids.

If that is supposed to be ironic, all it really does is make Cronos seem like an even bigger retard than the fight already portrayed him as.

Well you try wandering the desert and then the pits of Tartarus for thousands of years with a huge temple strapped to your back and see how many brain cells you have left.

gibration

NeoUltima said:

I'll trade you my phantom of chaos skin for it. :)

Just beat
Hermes.
I seriously love this cast of villains. I didn't really care about any of them in the other 2 games but they're pretty awesome in this one. The fights themselves aren't too shabby either.

Classic24

Banned
Hey guys I think I have an extra apollo code from amazon cuz i preordered twice and I cancelled once cuz of the 5 dollar credit from GOW collection so I have an extra code Im willing to trade, PM me

Regarding the Zeus/Hephaestus/key situation:

Pandora doesn't unlock the BOX, she gets rid of the FLAME. Hephaestus talks about how he forged her from the flame.

I don't know how I didn't catch that, but I'm understanding that correctly, right?

NeoUltima

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Regarding the Zeus/Hephaestus/key situation:

Pandora doesn't unlock the BOX, she gets rid of the FLAME. Hephaestus talks about how he forged her from the flame.

I don't know how I didn't catch that, but I'm understanding that correctly, right?
Yeah. Otherwise
how would Kratos open it in GoW1?

ZeroRay said:
Well you try wandering the desert and then the pits of Tartarus for thousands of years with a huge temple strapped to your back and see how many brain cells you have left.

That's a really stupid excuse. Hope you weren't being serious.

dralla

Thrakier said:
Hello.

So I don't get this Pandora stuff. They did he have to hide her from Zeus? And why was Zeus so angry at him? Also it seemed kinda random that that stone to forge the new weapon with which you can activate some bridges is hidden in a titan...and kratos finds it...by accident? I don't know. Some of the stuff they did is amazing, like this fight or the hercules fight or the intro. But the story doesn't hold it together very well so far. And besides the scope I think UC2 is definitly the better looking game.

Hephaestus hid her from Zeus because he did not want her to die. Pandora is the only person who can get to Pandora's Box because of the flame protecting it, but in doing so, she will die.

Zeus was mad because he found out Hephaestus lied to him. He told Zeus the safest place for Pandora's Box was on the back of Cronus. But Kratos was able to open it in God of War I.

The orpheus stone was the stone Rea, Zeus' mother, gave to Cronus to swallow instead of Zeus. Hephaestus didn't really need the stone, he set Kratos up. Kratos plans on using Pandora's Box, which would kill Pandora, and Hephaestus does not want that to happen. When he closes the door behind you when you enter Tartarus, you hear him laugh. Than he tries to kill you get the Nemesis Whip.

dralla said:
Hephaestus hid her from Zeus because he did not want her to die. Pandora is the only person who can get to Pandora's Box because of the flame protecting it, but in doing so, she will die.

Zeus was mad because he found out Hephaestus lied to him. He told Zeus the safest place for Pandora's Box was on the back of Cronus. But Kratos was able to open it in God of War I.

The orpheus stone was the stone Rea, Zeus' mother, gave to Cronus to swallow instead of Zeus. Hephaestus didn't really need the stone, he set Kratos up. Kratos plans on using Pandora's Box, which would kill Pandora, and Hephaestus does not want that to happen. When he closes the door behind you when you enter Tartarus, you hear him laugh. Than he tries to kill you get the Nemesis Whip.

but zues wanted Kratos to find and open pandoras box in GOW 1. Now in GOW 3 it's revealed he got mad that Kratos got to open it....um...wtf.

And other thing. Isn't Pandora neither living nor dead? So how can she die? She is a damn key. What is a key supposed to do? Open a lock! "We will find another way"...Stig, err i mean Kratos, quit being a dumbass.

dralla

ghostofsparta said:
but zues wanted Kratos to find and open pandoras box in GOW 1. Now in GOW 3 it's revealed he got mad that Kratos got to open it....um...wtf.

And other thing. Isn't Pandora neither living nor dead? So how can she die? She is a damn key. What is a key supposed to do? Open a lock! "We will find another way"...Stig, err i mean Kratos, quit being a dumbass.
The Gods wanted Kratos to kill Ares, it was the oracle in Athens who told Kratos of Pandora's Box. And it was Athena that was guiding Kratos, Zeus didn't really become the villain till God of War II, after the box was opened.

Pandora reminds Kratos of his daughter, he even thinks it is his daughter the first time you "meet" her in Hades. She "dies" by disappearing. And Kratos did use her..

neorej

ERMYGERD!
ghostofsparta said:

Athena told Kratos about the box in GoW. Zeus didn't come into play untill GoW2. Which could imply that Athena knew/hoped Zeus would be affected by one of the evils stored inside the box.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ZeroRay said:

He's obviously been through a lot, but I don't think even if he went fully retarded he would constantly call Kratos a coward for doing the same shit he did to get him in the position he's at in the first place.

"I should have expected this from a coward such as yourself. A coward who killed his own kin!

I mean, I always ate my kids and everything...but just try to forget about that, k?"

Seriously doesn't make sense.

Just got past the
Scorpion boss
in Chaos. I sure got stuck between it's legs a lot on accident. Almost beat Chaos mode, Zeus is going to be a pain in the ass though.

DodgerSan

Ballistictiger said:
Just got past the
Scorpion boss
in Chaos. I sure got stuck between it's legs a lot on accident. Almost beat Chaos mode, Zeus is going to be a pain in the ass though.

Yup, he's kicking my ass on normal!

Denzar

Disregard if you like the ending or not, we can all conclude/admit that the story could have been told WAY better.

The fact that almost everybody has numerous questions about the story proves that.

Props to Stig and the writers for tying the trilogy up, was not an easy task, but it could have been done so much better.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
ok so whats the deal with the cosutmes?..the redeemable ones are random?..im sure this was asked before but bare with me

obaidr

Banned
Deepack said:
Disregard if you like the ending or not, we can all conslude/admit that the story could have been told WAY better.

The fact that almost everybody has numerous questions about the story proves that.

Props to Stig and the writers for tying the trilogy up, was not an easy task, but it could have been done so much better.

well to be honest I hope for some episodical content like for example the story of Hercules and why he hates Kratos so much. If they release for example five episodes for 10$ each with about two to three hours gameplay just to tell the story the right way, i would buy all of them. This game just cries for episodical DLC

1UP had a discussion recently on the mechanics of games like God of War in which one of the panellists argued that styles like GoW are more suited to a 14 year old junior with its various combinations of how to decapitate and rip off horns. It didn't matter to him, it seemed, that a Santa Monica Studios Dev was right beside him in his deconstruction of "slash 'em-ups" :lol

But it did make me think what exactly I appreciate the most in games and it is the experience. Now, I had an incredible memory of playing the GOW3 demo but I don't imagine that game drawing me in and keeping me in that universe as much as an online competitive genre would (sports or FPS) or an RPG. Although I can appreciate different games, it does make you more aware (after his comments) of what exactly you think you love about these games.

DihcarEM

obaidr said:
well to be honest I hope for some episodical content like for example the story of Hercules and why he hates Kratos so much. If they release for example five episodes for 10$ each with about two to three hours gameplay just to tell the story the right way, i would buy all of them. This game just cries for episodical DLC

Oh god, yes please! I would also buy every one of them. If this
is really Kratos's last adventure(doubt it) then we deserve a lot more then just one medium sized next-gen game, give us more dlc's atleast.
What would also be pretty cool is seeing your enemies like
Zeus,Hades,Hercules,ect were up to while you Kratos were doing something else.
. Possibly playing from their point of view.
I actually wouldn't mind getting the
Atlantis dlc,game
as the rumors are going. But it should atleast be a next gen game/dlc, i want to be graphicly amazed like gow3. I know what the psp can do, it's an impressive machine but come on.

DihcarEM

Combichristoffersen said:

This article is a total joke, computer and videogames is also running it.
Ubisoft, you never had the Gow fans. Gow was the first game to truelly give us control of such an amazing anti-hero. and those brutal qte. There was nothing brutal about any of the pop games, you always killed things that didn't look human. The gow series has you killing people that look perfectly human in brutal ways.

I think the fans that God of War attracts are Mortal Kombat fans. The brutality of this game is on another level. I like seeing gore that is done correctly and looks awesome, not just globs of jelly and low attention to detail. Sadly Mortal Kombat is not up to par these days.

Rikyfree

been playing on the new game+ glitch and this came to my mind. They could EASILY put in this option if they change the hit box on some things and some places you revisit and such. I'm pretty sure it can be done simply.

Man, everything in this game looks incredible. I'm impressed by a lot of things, but the lighting is standout for me. It's nice to see shadows interacting with the environments and characters in a believable way, which is something few games seem to get right. Bonus points for cast shadows without blocky edges. I'm also blown away by the quality of many of the character models, particularly for larger characters and bosses. If it weren't for some telltale aliasing many of them could pass for pre-rendered CGI. Between this and Uncharted 2 it's crazy to fathom what could be in store for the PS3 in the next couple years. The graphics are already around the level I thought they'd max out at this generation, but there's still a lot of life left in the consoles.

The combat feels pretty smooth as well. I haven't had any problem with the jumping mechanics a few people mentioned, although there are some questionable camera angles that sent me plummeting to my death before I knew what happened. Overall the controls feel nice and smooth though, and I appreciate the modifications to the button prompts that make it slightly easier to pay attention to what's happening on screen while still knowing which actions to make. As usual I find the QTEs a bit excessive, but that's sort of a hallmark of the franchise, so nothing unexpected there. At least they're a joy to watch. I do like some of the little context sensitive moments though, like
blocking out Helios's light with your hand.
Very cool.

Right now I'm about 4 1/2 or 5 hours in (didn't check the clock when I saved) and just reached
the flame of Olympus.
Despite taking a lot of time noodling around and checking out the amazing settings it feels like the game is zipping by rather fast (based on the number of items/upgrades I have). Can someone who has beaten it give me a rough idea what % I've got left? It feels like I'm halfway done, which would mean a sub 10 hour game unless the sections start getting a lot longer. If memory serves, it seems pretty short compared to how long GoW2 took me. Either way I'm looking forward to replaying it, but if I'm as far along as I think it sort of reinforces some of my feelings about where developer priorities lie this generation. The production values are through the roof, but I'm a bit concerned that structurally the game might not have the meat to match them. Of course, it would be splendid if someone came along and told me how mistaken I am. ;)

Rikyfree said:
been playing on the new game+ glitch and this came to my mind. They could EASILY put in this option if they change the hit box on some things and some places you revisit and such. I'm pretty sure it can be done simply.
New game + glitch? Please explain.

Meus Renaissance said:
1UP had a discussion recently on the mechanics of games like God of War in which one of the panellists argued that styles like GoW are more suited to a 14 year old junior with its various combinations of how to decapitate and rip off horns. It didn't matter to him, it seemed, that a Santa Monica Studios Dev was right beside him in his deconstruction of "slash 'em-ups" :lol

Are you talking about 4 Guys 1up where they spliced in an interview with the God of War III and Heavy Rain directors? If so, it was spliced in. Anything they said before and after the interview about the game not appealling to a certain segment of adults wasn't in the presence of those two.

Halcyon

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Man, everything in this game looks incredible. I'm impressed by a lot of things, but the lighting is standout for me. It's nice to see shadows interacting with the environments and characters in a believable way, which is something few games seem to get right. Bonus points for cast shadows without blocky edges. I'm also blown away by the quality of many of the character models, particularly for larger characters and bosses. If it weren't for some telltale aliasing many of them could pass for pre-rendered CGI. Between this and Uncharted 2 it's crazy to fathom what could be in store for the PS3 in the next couple years. The graphics are already around the level I thought they'd max out at this generation, but there's still a lot of life left in the consoles.

The combat feels pretty smooth as well. I haven't had any problem with the jumping mechanics a few people mentioned, although there are some questionable camera angles that sent me plummeting to my death before I knew what happened. Overall the controls feel nice and smooth though, and I appreciate the modifications to the button prompts that make it slightly easier to pay attention to what's happening on screen while still knowing which actions to make. As usual I find the QTEs a bit excessive, but that's sort of a hallmark of the franchise, so nothing unexpected there. At least they're a joy to watch. I do like some of the little context sensitive moments though, like
blocking out Helios's light with your hand.
Very cool.

Right now I'm about 4 1/2 or 5 hours in (didn't check the clock when I saved) and just reached
the flame of Olympus.
Despite taking a lot of time noodling around and checking out the amazing settings it feels like the game is zipping by rather fast (based on the number of items/upgrades I have). Can someone who has beaten it give me a rough idea what % I've got left? It feels like I'm halfway done, which would mean a sub 10 hour game unless the sections start getting a lot longer. If memory serves, it seems pretty short compared to how long GoW2 took me. Either way I'm looking forward to replaying it, but if I'm as far along as I think it sort of reinforces some of my feelings about where developer priorities lie this generation. The production values are through the roof, but I'm a bit concerned that structurally the game might not have the meat to match them. Of course, it would be splendid if someone came along and told me how mistaken I am. ;)

It was under 10 hours for me. I felt the same as you do like "uh i'm getting through this pretty quick". My last save before the end boss was like 8 hours 15 minutes, and the ending probably takes another 30 minutes. I played on normal though. I find on my titan run that it's going slower. Should have started on that.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
IronFistedChampion said:
New game + glitch? Please explain.

New Game+ Glitch

There is no New Game+ option but you can do a glitch that gives you maxed out weapons and infinite magic at the starrt of the game. First you must unlock the Combat Arena. Set magic to infinite. Get killed in the Combat Arena 5 times so that the game asks if you want to switch to easy mode. Choose no. You should be at the main menu now. Start a new game on whatever difficulty you were on during the Combat Arena. You will begin the game with all weapons maxed out and infinite magic.

Liquidus said:
New Game+ Glitch

There is no New Game+ option but you can do a glitch that gives you maxed out weapons and infinite magic at the starrt of the game. First you must unlock the Combat Arena. Set magic to infinite. Get killed in the Combat Arena 5 times so that the game asks if you want to switch to easy mode. Choose no. You should be at the main menu now. Start a new game on whatever difficulty you were on during the Combat Arena. You will begin the game with all weapons maxed out and infinite magic.

can this be used as a cheat to finish the game on titan mode for the trophy? o_O

Of course the combat in this game beats the previous games. I loved the idea to limit a certain magic to certain weapons and the extra weapons are actually useful.

I love using the Cestus. At first I thought it would be an awful weapon when watching the demo but actually using it was a blast. It's my number 2 weapon.

Of course I love the Blades of Exile being a GOW vet. I do miss my L1+O combo but I will get to use it soon again when I replay the game after beating all the modes for the heck of it. Being said Blades of Athena> Blades of Exile.

I love the bow as well. It saved my ass a ton of times on Chaos and Titan mode.

onken

Ballistictiger said:
Being said Blades of Athena> Blades of Exile.

What's the difference anyway? I really only ever use Plumes of Prometheus, Spirit of Hercules and Rage of Tartarus.

mattfabs

I was on a roll last night, thinking I was going to finish the game, however, then came the flying down the chain sequence..... I died too many times to count. It gets to a point where the screen is getting way too fast, and theres no way to stop yourself from hitting wood beams. Any tips? Between this, and the spike parts, the last hour of this came has been miserable.

I cant for the life of me finish the
falling through the tunnel sequence after just rescuing Pandora. Cant do it.
Fuck it im going to bed, I'll have a crack tomorrow after work.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
mattfabs said:
I was on a roll last night, thinking I was going to finish the game, however, then came the flying down the chain sequence..... I died too many times to count. It gets to a point where the screen is getting way too fast, and theres no way to stop yourself from hitting wood beams. Any tips? Between this, and the spike parts, the last hour of this came has been miserable.
You can dodge really quickly using the right stick. A lot of people, including myself, didn't realize that.

Finished the game again myself last night. Got the
aMAZEd
trophy without even trying for it. Just have Hitman and finishing Titan to go for the Platinum.

box with spikes
was fun when I kept losing all the time, but when I finally beat it, it was so good. Same deal with the
fiery cerebus

I'm fighting
Zeus
for the first time and I didn't get the Labyrinth trophy. Is this because I died so many times inside the
spiked box
?

I think if they do a next God of War they shouldn't do death screens. They are annoying and they just waste time.

RoboPlato said:
You can dodge really quickly using the right stick. A lot of people, including myself, didn't realize that.

aMAZEd
trophy without even trying for it. Just have Hitman and finishing Titan to go for the Platinum.
WOW...I didn't know that. O.O

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
RoboPlato said:

aMAZEd
i did not know that and i ve finished gow3 times :lol

Top Bottom