• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Minamu

What if the ps3 beeps while playing & then nothing happens? It's happened to me a few times across different games & it's a bit scary :( It just beeps & continues on as if it didn't happen. No freeze lag & black screen. Just a random beep.

liltony822

Neo Member
Is there any way to get that background picture when you hover over the blu-ray disc in the XMB? Sorry if that doesn't make any sense.

liltony822 said:
Is there any way to get that background picture when you hover over the blu-ray disc in the XMB? Sorry if that doesn't make any sense.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. It would make a sick ass wallpaper on my ps3.

So do I just beat the first game...should I beat the 2nd, or should I go straight to the 3rd? First game pissed me the fuck off with super cheap areas and Ive played about about 3 hours of the 3rd before playing the first and it was way better. Is the 2nd game better than the first?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
McLovin said:
Oh I just realized GOW 3 is in there.. ha ha... o_O;;
I have heard some success of getting a disc out of a YLOD ps3 with a hair dryer, probably fucks your ps3 up more but if you want a new/repaired model...eh its good to get disc out lol.

Otherwise use the gilksy heat gun trick to completely fix ps3...although Im hearing more and more that its a temp. fix and you need a heat gun for it to work (50$+ usually)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

so for clarity:

when i beat the game on NORMAL, what are my options after that? can i use relics and still get trophies (ie: trophies i missed on first play through)? can i choose a different difficulty and still use relics + get trophies?

im just wondering if i should start a game+ or just start a completely new game to finish up my trophy collection. trying to minimize my number of additional play throughs, if possible.

ALSO: can i use relics or costumes, etc. in the arena or challenge modes? they destroy me, and in turn, i end up destroying controllers. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Buba Big Guns said:
So do I just beat the first game...should I beat the 2nd, or should I go straight to the 3rd? First game pissed me the fuck off with super cheap areas and Ive played about about 3 hours of the 3rd before playing the first and it was way better. Is the 2nd game better than the first?
The second game is better than the third.

Sidzed2

Rez said:
The second game is better than the third.

True, but I would say only marginally so :)

I think the highs of GoW3 are among the best moments in the series; it's just that GoW2 is so consistently good and relentless.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
so for clarity:

when i beat the game on NORMAL, what are my options after that? can i use relics and still get trophies (ie: trophies i missed on first play through)? can i choose a different difficulty and still use relics + get trophies?

im just wondering if i should start a game+ or just start a completely new game to finish up my trophy collection. trying to minimize my number of additional play throughs, if possible.

ALSO: can i use relics or costumes, etc. in the arena or challenge modes? they destroy me, and in turn, i end up destroying controllers. :(

you can use the relics, but as it says in the game, trophies will be disabled. If you want those, you have to start a new playthrough. I replayed the game on easy up until the
labyrinth
to get remaining trophies, then again on Titan for the badge of honor

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
so for clarity:

You can not use relics to get trophies. If you use relics, trophies will be disabled. AFAIK you can not complete the game on normal and use the relics on hard. Also, there is no new game+ in GoW III. AFAIK you can not use relics in the challenge modes. Dunno about constumes, but I doubt you can use them.

Buba Big Guns said:

Yes. In some ways, GoW II is even better than GoW III.

BeeDog

I'm just thankful the series is as solid as it is. :D God of War 3 is my favorite part of the trilogy, even if it does have its minor faults (that I listed in my mini-review somewhere here or in the spoiler topic). Simply pure fun.

missile

liltony822 said:
I was wondering myself why this picture wasn't up already. It's even missing in the initial
post. Hmm ... seems like a BD drive isn't standard on PC, yet. But who needs a BD drive for
PC when you already have one in your PS3? :D

pic1eo.png

Just started my Titan playthrough and holy fuck, what a jump in difficulty.

Seriously, Poseidon's water horse crab thing just fucking owned me in only a couple of hits.

liltony822

Neo Member
missile said:
I was wondering myself why this picture wasn't up already. It's even missing in the initial
post. Hmm ... seems like a BD drive isn't standard on PC, yet. But who needs a BD drive for
Thank you very much!:D Still curious on how you got it.

Thrakier

I have a problem with this game which I didn't have with GOW1 or 2. In GOW3 most of the time I don't know exactly where I am and why I am there and what I'm doing. I know what I wand to achieve in the end, but the steps to this...I don't get it.
The whole passage with the annoying running guy for example. WTF at those giant crates, warehouse thingy. What was that!?

Darunia said:
you can use the relics, but as it says in the game, trophies will be disabled. If you want those, you have to start a new playthrough. I replayed the game on easy up until the
labyrinth
to get remaining trophies, then again on Titan for the badge of honor

cool thanks.

i'll just play a new game on easy, finish up trophies and finding relics, then play my new game+ on the hardest mode i can. (titan, im guessing) and hope i don't destroy my silver DS3.

Dogenzaka

Banned
ImperialConquest said:
I've never played any of the GoW games as I never owned a PS1 or PS2.

However, I now own a PS3 and have a few games for it (MGS4, Soul Calbur 4, MLB:The Show 2009, Resistance 2, Killzone 2) but I find that I do most of my gaming on my 360.

I'd hate to buy GoW3 and end up not playing it much. I've reahced a point where I'd rather not spend money on a game if it's not gonna get played a ton.

I know GoW is a PS must have, but all hyperbole aside, how good is this game?

I really liked MGS4, how would it stack up to that game as far as production values? Storyline? Graphics?

Thanks.

Buy the God of War Collection first. Not only are they awesome games, they're (what I'd consider) a little bit better in terms of cohesive, consistent awesomeness; they'll let you know what the series is like and whether you'd enjoy God of War 3 or not. If you like the Collection, pick up God of War 3.

Thrakier said:
I have a problem with this game which I didn't have with GOW1 or 2. In GOW3 most of the time I don't know exactly where I am and why I am there and what I'm doing. I know what I wand to achieve in the end, but the steps to this...I don't get it.
The whole passage with the annoying running guy for example. WTF at those giant crates, warehouse thingy. What was that!?

I know exactly what you're talking about and I experienced the same feeling.

Combichristoffersen

Thrakier said:

The running guy is
Hermes (I assume it's hermes you're referring to)
The crates are where Zeus hides his dope, I guess

missile said:

I fuckin love you bro, like foreal

Thrakier

Combichristoffersen said:
The running guy is
Hermes (I assume it's hermes you're referring to)
The crates are where Zeus hides his dope, I guess

I knew who this guy was, that wasn't my problem in this scene. It's just...I didn't understand where I was. Like from the moment I left
hades
it seemed kina random. Then you go up this
chain
...I thought it would bring me to the
olymp
but now I'm at a different place again...

Combichristoffersen

Thrakier said:
I knew who this guy was, that wasn't my problem in this scene. It's just...I didn't understand where I was. Like from the moment I left
hades
it seemed kina random. Then you go up this
chain
...I thought it would bring me to the
olymp
but now I'm at a different place again...

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean now. I kinda feel the same way too. It doesn't really bother me all that much, but it does leave you with a slight 'why am I here and what am I doing here?' feeling. GoW and GoW II felt more like you progressed through a cohesive area, while GoW III is a bit more.. uh.. random? Like, you're in
Hades
, and then you end up in
Hephaestus' forge
, before going to some
grand ballroom with the Flame of Olympus
, and then you're in
some city on mount Olympus
, and then
oh hai again Hephaestus
and then you go to
Tartarus
to
pick up a stone
and then
'sup im back lol Hephaestus'
and then there's a
labyrinth
. Also; giant crates.

missile

pistolpete2940 said:
I fuckin love you bro, like foreal
Awesome. xD

liltony822 said:
No problem. Well, you can access the BD drive from PS3Linux (does not work on
the Slim, yet). Most files are encrypted on disc for obvious reasons, but the
game icon and the backdrop aren't. Btw; you don't even need to install a
complete linux to grab those pictures. An OtherOS bootloader and an USB-stick
suffices to copy the picture from the BD to the stick.

Speaking about the GoW III backdrop, I don't like it that much. The bump map
and the specular component around the left eye are ... meh? Anyways. For the
sake of completeness, I just copied the backdrop from the GoW Collection as well;

pic1nk.png

Kaako

Felium Defensor
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Just started my Titan playthrough and holy fuck, what a jump in difficulty.

Seriously, Poseidon's water horse crab thing just fucking owned me in only a couple of hits.
You'll love the fire
Cerberus and the Satyrs section!
:lol

dralla

Thrakier said:

did you beat the game? if so you should know already.
the giant 'crates' are part of the labyrinth Daedalus built. you pass through his room and there a bunch of documents around you can read, it will explain in further detail exactly how it works and why it was built.

Minamu said:
What if the ps3 beeps while playing & then nothing happens? It's happened to me a few times across different games & it's a bit scary :( It just beeps & continues on as if it didn't happen. No freeze lag & black screen. Just a random beep.
I don't know but if it just automatically shut down you are in trouble.

Jubs

Man, when you walk out to the pavilion to fight
Zues for the second time
, I was struck by how awesome the scenery looked.
Tornadoes, the rain, lightning bolts, souls flying everywhere, the heavy thickness of the thunder clouds, the awesome lighting, and the music that's playing. So good.

mik

mik is unbeatable
liltony822 said:
The God of War site has a shitload of hi-res art assets (some are even layered PSD files) in a set of six zip files. Go to godofwar.com --> Downloads --> Fan Kits

Kaako

Felium Defensor
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Fuck that. :lol

Seriously, I can only imagine how much harder the rest of the game would be. Oh man, I just realised.

Hades is going to be a fucking cunt!
Hades will be a breeze compared to that damn beast. Just have your
bow fully upgraded and play it like a pussy when facing Hades. Keep your range and know his stances and attack pattern. The damn Cerberus though, I upgraded my cestus to max and did not let dat ass breathe. I was on his ass literally every chance I got and said fuck it to strategy after an hour of trying. I plummeted the living shit out of that damn dog and then went apeshit on the satyrs with the cestus as well. One of the biggest 'Fuck yea' moments after I beat that section on Titan.

kikanny

missile said:
Awesome. xD

No problem. Well, you can access the BD drive from PS3Linux (does not work on
the Slim, yet). Most files are encrypted on disc for obvious reasons, but the
game icon and the backdrop aren't. Btw; you don't even need to install a
complete linux to grab those pictures. An OtherOS bootloader and an USB-stick
suffices to copy the picture from the BD to the stick.

Speaking about the GoW III backdrop, I don't like it that much. The bump map
and the specular component around the left eye are ... meh? Anyways. For the
sake of completeness, I just copied the backdrop from the GoW Collection as well;
Just wanted to say your awesome. Thanks for both the pictures!

Johnas

Kaako said:
Hades will be a breeze compared to that damn beast. Just have your
bow fully upgraded and play it like a pussy when facing Hades. Keep your range and know his stances and attack pattern. The damn Cerberus though, I upgraded my cestus to max and did not let dat ass breathe. I was on his ass literally every chance I got and said fuck it to strategy after an hour of trying. I plummeted the living shit out of that damn dog and then went apeshit on the satyrs with the cestus as well. One of the biggest 'Fuck yea' moments after I beat that section on Titan.

I just got past that right before Lost started. Jeez what a battle. I used the
Cestus
as well.

There were two other "arena" type battle sequences that gave me a ton of trouble on Titan. Hades really wasn't any trouble for me personally. Not particularly looking forward to the final series of battles.

H.Cornerstone said:
It's my least favorite of the three, but that isn't saying much as I loved the first two. However, it's still a great game and I think it suffers from being pigeon holed into a story by GOW II. I knew going in there were going to have a tough time with the story in III and they did the best they could. If you think about God of war 1 is really the only one in the series where the story makes complete sense and really leaves a completely fulfilling ending. And you can tell it was not originally designed as a trilogy. The combat was the best in the series and while the puzzles were not nearly as intricate or deep as before, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

Agreed with 95% of that. I'll post a mini-review thing later, but yes, agreed. God of War II definitely forced the story of III, and it shows that they really had to contrive some kind of a conclusion in III. By the end of III, I was hoping for some kind of "release" (as Kratos said) to make all the ill-will I've built up towards Kratos over the last 2 games become worth it, but this release really never came IMO.

I'm not sure if the combat was the best of the 3. I mean, the bosses definitely were. The combat system itself was definitely the best, also. However, I don't feel that it was used to its maximum possible extent. The pacing just seemed jumpy; there wasn't really a chance to dig into the combat much, unlike in the first game.

However, overall, this game destroys anything in the general genre and is certainly still a top-of-the-line game. It could have been better, but that's really only apparent because of its predecessors' standards.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so I missed like all of Gorgon Eyes ( not my mistake I really tried to look for them , why the boxes are hidden like this anyway ? ) , I am at the Cavrens ( after City of Olympia ) and my Health bar is tiny , I am playing on hard and things now turned to real hell for me.

is it better to just restart the game or is there any way to return to the locations and get them ?

rhino4evr

I played for an hour and a hlaf tonight and beat the 2nd boss which was even more awesome then the 1st boss. Then I played through part of the "demo" area and was impressed with the changes.

So two questions:

how do you collect extra souls for the hades weapon?

And

does anyone else have constant audio bugs? A lot of times the audio will repeat the last word of a sentence. This has happened like 5 or 6 times now

rhino4evr said:
I played for an hour and a hlaf tonight and beat the 2nd boss which was even more awesome then the 1st boss. Then I played through part of the "demo" area and was impressed with the changes.

So two questions:

how do you collect extra souls for the hades weapon?

And

does anyone else have constant audio bugs? A lot of times the audio will repeat the last word of a sentence. This has happened like 5 or 6 times now

1 -- You get more soul types at level 3 and level 5 (I think those are the levels... but it's a fact it's done via upgrade).

2 -- Not me.

jett

D-Member
Jubs said:
Man, when you walk out to the pavilion to fight
Zues for the second time
, I was struck by how awesome the scenery looked.
Tornadoes, the rain, lightning bolts, souls flying everywhere, the heavy thickness of the thunder clouds, the awesome lighting, and the music that's playing. So good.

I don't understand why the fuck that part wasn't a fully fledged fight. :|

dralla

jett said:
I don't understand why the fuck that part wasn't a fully fledged fight. :|

I don't think it needed to be a fully fledged fight, but I think the majority of that overall fight should have took place there. Than
go to the Gaia part so you can kill them both at the same time

jett

D-Member
dralla said:
I don't think it needed to be a fully fledged fight, but I think the majority of that overall fight should have took place there. Than
go to the Gaia part so you can kill them both at the same time

Indeed. Some seriously boneheaded decisions in this game.

also, you're fighting fuckin zeus, lord of olympus and god of thunder. there should've been some matrix revolutions shit with both of them fighting in the sky and whatever :p

Should've been so much more epic.

I can't believe that piece of shit scenery and fight inside Gaia is the best they could come up with as the final boss fight of the GOW games.

rhino4evr

RedRedSuit said:
1 -- You get more soul types at level 3 and level 5 (I think those are the levels... but it's a fact it's done via upgrade).

2 -- Not me.
Oh ok think it would have been cooler if you collected souls by actually defeating certain enemies. Oh well. I'm only on level 3 on my main weapon and upgrades my bow. So I'm not sure if I'll even get enough orbs to upgrade everything by endgame

Also that sucks that I keep getting audio bugs. Has anyone else complained about it. on this board? Or is their something wrong with my ps3?

jett

D-Member
rhino4evr said:
Oh ok think it would have been cooler if you collected souls by actually defeating certain enemies. Oh well. I'm only on level 3 on my main weapon and upgrades my bow. So I'm not sure if I'll even get enough orbs to upgrade everything by endgame

Also that sucks that I keep getting audio bugs. Has anyone else complained about it. on this board? Or is their something wrong with my ps3?

I've suffered from some cut off lines, mainly when Athena is explaining some new power or weapon.

scoobs

jett said:
I've suffered from some cut off lines, mainly when Athena is explaining some new power or weapon.
Me too, some audio bugs (repeated lines a few times) and also some weird slow down/pausing during video sequences towards the end.

diddlyD

Banned
scoobs said:
Me too, some audio bugs (repeated lines a few times) and also some weird slow down/pausing during video sequences towards the end.

yeah i've had a lot of audio cutting out, obvious missing sound effects, like trolls roaring but no sound... santa monica studios has some seriously incompetent sound programmer.

in fact i've experienced more bugs so far halfway through this game than the entire other 3 games combined. but i'll save my rant of disappointment for when i've finished the game.

Bebpo

Banned
The only bug I got was in the room with Ares corpse at the start. I was walking on the ice and fell through the ice+ares and then was floating below the level and had to restart checkpoint.

Top Bottom