• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Just finished the game. Here's my thoughts overall...Going to spoiler tag everything despite the fact that now all of it is spoilers.

Story wise...I don't like what they did with Kratos' character. He's literally heartless. He kills every single thing he comes across for no reason. Killing the Gods makes sense. But killing some of the other randoms like the Poisedon Princess. Or killing Hera for calling Pandora a whore...It was pretty pointless. The whole game Kratos was completely one-dimensional and then all of the sudden at the end Kratos finds pity for a child that's not even real, but a creation of Haphaestus, who Kratos himself killed? Yeah...OK.

Gameplay wise I thought the combat mechanics themselves were good and all but the Blades of Hades were really great weapons. I think the combat difficulty however was really uneven. Those goat looking things with the large swords were seriously ridiculous just on Normal. The game also had some strange pacing here and there...And some really poorly designed parts such as the part where Pandora is in the box filling with water. Not to mention I've never liked the QTE where you have to move the sticks.

Overall I felt like it was a really good game, the combat is good as ever, the music was great all the way through, the graphics are amazing, the scale and "epic" feeling were nailed, but it had some major flaws scattered in here and there, inconsistent difficulty, a pretty bad script and a questionable plot/characterization.

Now, what is the concensus as to what happened at the end after the credits?

Slurmer

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Last trophy question...lol

For the hidden one...
how hard is it to get through the Labyrinth without dying/failing? If i make a save when i get there, and then just keep using the saves only if i didnt die/fail on my way there will that work? If i do die/fail, my plan would be to just reload the save where i didnt die/fail...will that work?

There's 2 or 3 checkpoints there. So, if you die, select "quit". Then on the menu screen select "load" and select the auto-save (should be the top save file.) You can do this as long as you want and die as many times as you want...you'll still get the trophy at the end.

jett

D-Member
Allegedly there's a glitch that makes you start the game with infinite magic and maxxed out weapons, on any difficulty.

gamefaqs said:
New Game+ *new*
There is no New Game+ option but you can do a glitch that gives you maxed out weapons and infinite magic at the starrt of the game. First you must unlock the Combat Arena. Set magic to infinite. Get killed in the Combat Arena 5 times so that the game asks if you want to switch to easy mode. Choose no. You should be at the main menu now. Start a new game on whatever difficulty you were on during the Combat Arena. You will begin the game with all weapons maxed out and infinite magic.
Contributed By: SolidFantasy.

Being gamefaqs, I'm not sure if it's true, but if anyone has Combat Arena unlocked you could try it out for us. :p

ToyMachine228 said:
Story wise...I don't like what they did with Kratos' character. He's literally heartless. He kills every single thing he comes across for no reason. Killing the Gods makes sense. But killing some of the other randoms like the Poisedon Princess. Or killing Hera for calling Pandora a whore...It was pretty pointless. The whole game Kratos was completely one-dimensional and then all of the sudden at the end Kratos finds pity for a child that's not even real, but a creation of Haphaestus, who Kratos himself killed? Yeah...OK.

Kratos's sudden compassion didn't bother me because Pandora was the only character I minded dying. When you finally reach Pandora, I kept thinking that Kratos better not just recklessly kill her like he has with every other character. Sure enough, Kratos seemed to have the same emotional response as me. I guess the parity between my and his thoughts made it seem natural, even though it is a departure from his previous actions. Maybe it has something to do with what Pandora represents? Pandora is able to unleash the hope housed within Kratos, so maybe she was also able to preemptively unlock at least a bit of compassion as well.

NZNova

Jerkapotamus said:
Kratos's sudden compassion didn't bother me because Pandora was the only character I minded dying. When you finally reach Pandora, I kept thinking that Kratos better not just recklessly kill her like he has with every other character. Sure enough, Kratos seemed to have the same emotional response as me. I guess the parity between my and his thoughts made it seem natural, even though it is a departure from his previous actions. Maybe it has something to do with what Pandora represents? Pandora is able to unleash the hope housed within Kratos, so maybe she was also able to preemptively unlock at least a bit of compassion as well.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_the_last_thing_in_%27pandora%27s_box%27

Jerkapotamus said:
Maybe it has something to do with what Pandora represents? Pandora is able to unleash the hope housed within Kratos, so maybe she was also able to preemptively unlock at least a bit of compassion as well.

That's fine but that wasn't what I got from the game.
Kratos tells her not to trust him, he's gone three games killing everything in his path to get to Zeus to kill him and then he gets there and all he can say is...I'LL FIND ANOTHER WAY! Forget the fact that you're an ugly child that's not even a child, but a creation who's sole purpose is to unlock this box so I can defeat Zeus which is what I've been trying to do and I've killed everything in my path to get here...It's too sudden. There was no gradual warmth of Kratos toward Pandora. Comes off as corny.

Raziel

ToyMachine228 said:
Just finished the game. Here's my thoughts overall...Going to spoiler tag everything despite the fact that now all of it is spoilers.

about the poseidon princess; pretty sure he kills at least one innocent to get through a puzzle/obstacle in each of the previous games.

other than that, he doesnt kill anyone that isnt trying to kill him. hephaestus turned on him, and even hera ordered hercules at the forum.

and it was spelled out pretty clearly by zeus that kratos probably wanted to save pandora as sort of a reprieve for his failings with his own family/daughter.

leng jai

spats said:
Agreed. Check out the voice acting making of-videos, he's a really talented dude.

Are they on disc? I used to watch Hercules all the time and had an orgasm when I saw him on the OC as well. Most ruggedly handsome guy ever.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
leng jai said:
Are they on disc? I used to watch Hercules all the time and had an orgasm when I saw him on the OC as well. Most ruggedly handsome guy ever.

Yeah. I don't know if you have to complete the game to unlock them or not, but they're found under the 'treasures' section at the main menu of the game.

McLovin

Corran Horn said:
I have heard some success of getting a disc out of a YLOD ps3 with a hair dryer, probably fucks your ps3 up more but if you want a new/repaired model...eh its good to get disc out lol.

Otherwise use the gilksy heat gun trick to completely fix ps3...although Im hearing more and more that its a temp. fix and you need a heat gun for it to work (50$+ usually)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo
Thanks for the info I might just try this out

So a few days after posting how I'd never tackle the challenge of Olympus mode, I've actually completed it haha.

But how awesome would it be if they released puzzle challenges? Think of the labyrinth but harder, better and more of them. I'd buy that DLC....

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
jett said:
Allegedly there's a glitch that makes you start the game with infinite magic and maxxed out weapons, on any difficulty.

Being gamefaqs, I'm not sure if it's true, but if anyone has Combat Arena unlocked you could try it out for us. :p

What do you know, it works.

I've also just discovered you can set life on infinite, die five times by getting stoned in mid-air by a Gorgon, and even start a new game with infinite life.

Shades of the pre-patch Uncharted 2 glitch.

Fix that shit as quick as Naughty Dog did, Santa Monica!

Edit: It'll be interesting to see if you can sequence break with the Nemean Cestus.

I did a mini marathon session and finally completed this game on normal. Overall, the game was great. Though some of the criticism has been that it's more of the same, they at least spaced the releases far enough apart that they're more fresh than stale. Some of my other thoughts

I hated the jumping. When I got to Hades, I was having issues just getting past the first three platforms because I didn't grasp that the double jump required an immediate second press vice the normal jump at the height or anytime.

And the controls are a little clunky. I'd probably say a 4/5. Whereas DMC or Ninja Gaiden are smooth or seamless (car analogy Mitsubishi Evo or Subara WRX), Kratos was a little more unwieldly sp (like a Corvette). But don't get it twisted, the game plays good.

I also thought the game was a little TOO violent. It's a murder simulator. The whole thing with Poseiden or Hermes. It's basically torture. And don't get me started on bludgeoning Zeus with your fists. The screen was literally completely covered with blood. And the though I did think the make believe polygon dark girl with Aphrodite was cute, the sex mini game was just too much. I realize the game is rated Mature. But the violence was treated as mature but more juvenile or teen age.

I also agree on the Kratos character acting uncharacteristically at the end.

I don't think I'm going to bother replaying it to find the items or play on the harder difficulty.

But I am interested in getting the Collection and completing part two (as I never completed it).

NeoUltima

ToyMachine228 said:
That's fine but that wasn't what I got from the game.
Kratos tells her not to trust him, he's gone three games killing everything in his path to get to Zeus to kill him and then he gets there and all he can say is...I'LL FIND ANOTHER WAY! Forget the fact that you're an ugly child that's not even a child, but a creation who's sole purpose is to unlock this box so I can defeat Zeus which is what I've been trying to do and I've killed everything in my path to get here...It's too sudden. There was no gradual warmth of Kratos toward Pandora. Comes off as corny.
First time Kratos see's Pandora he says "Colliope?!". When he says "You shouldn't [trust me]" he says it in a more somber tone. Also, he killed Hera because she insulted Pandora. That made Kratos mad and snap her neck. Kratos still chose vengeance over her anyway, he let her go into the flame to attack Zeus. There were other hints too(for this and other things like 'hope' in box) that you will notice on repeat playthroughs

jett

D-Member
Aokage said:
What do you know, it works.

I've also just discovered you can set life on infinite, die five times by getting stoned in mid-air by a Gorgon, and even start a new game with infinite life.

Shades of the pre-patch Uncharted 2 glitch.

Fix that shit as quick as Naughty Dog did, Santa Monica!

Edit: It'll be interesting to see if you can sequence break with the Nemean Cestus.

It gives you all the weapons right from the start? HEH.

NeoUltima said:
Also, he killed Hera because she insulted Pandora. That made Kratos mad and snap her neck.

Yeah...Exactly. He hadn't even met her yet and just planned to use her to open the box to kill Zeus. Should he care that Hera called her a whore? No. It's a forced overreaction so you can kill her for the puzzle. Also Kratos could have sacrificed Pandora in the end and expressed anger and sorrow over having to do so to get his revenge but instead he shows weakness and second guesses himself.

Minamu

Those Playstation symbols are
on one of Daedalus' drawing boards in his small puzzle room as well. The one directly to the right when you first enter it.

MrPliskin

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:

If you played any of the past titles
you'd understand that Krato's has a soft spot, he's not heartless. He cared, deeply, for his family, which is why he became the way he was in these games. He lost them, and that caused him to lose control. The reason he takes pity on Pandora is because it reminds him of his own child, and (this is me talking) possibly thinks it will grant him retribution for his past sins against his own family.

I don't think anything about that was far fetched, maybe ham fisted, but not out of character for Kratos

MrPliskin said:
If you played any of the past titles
you'd understand that Krato's has a soft spot, he's not heartless. He cared, deeply, for his family, which is why he became the way he was in these games. He lost them, and that caused him to lose control. The reason he takes pity on Pandora is because it reminds him of his own child, and (this is me talking) possibly thinks it will grant him retribution for his past sins against his own family.
That's my problem. For this whole game he's heartless up until then. And when all of the sudden he flips like a switch it's jarring. I dislike the way it was handled and his character was handled in this installment.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Spiderjericho said:
I did a mini marathon session and finally completed this game on normal. Overall, the game was great. Though some of the criticism has been that it's more of the same, they at least spaced the releases far enough apart that they're more fresh than stale. Some of my other thoughts

I also thought the game was a little TOO violent. It's a murder simulator. The whole thing with Poseiden or Hermes. It's basically torture. And don't get me started on bludgeoning Zeus with your fists. The screen was literally completely covered with blood. And the though I did think the make believe polygon dark girl with Aphrodite was cute, the sex mini game was just too much. I realize the game is rated Mature. But the violence was treated as mature but more juvenile or teen age.

Zeus backstabbed you and tried to kill you multiple times (even succeeded twice), Kratos got reasons to hate him. Actually, by the time I got to that part, I felt the rage and hatred towards Zeus that was built up for two games myself and I kept hammering circle long after the screen was completely red.
As for the violence, I thought it was in theme with ancient Greece. It was a time of kill or be killed, especially Kratos, a Spartan, bred for combat.

And the sex minigame was easily the best one in the series, if you found this too much, prepare for what's waiting in GoW2.

neorej said:
Zeus backstabbed you and tried to kill you multiple times (even succeeded twice), Kratos got reasons to hate him. Actually, by the time I got to that part, I felt the rage and hatred towards Zeus that was built up for two games myself and I kept hammering circle long after the screen was completely red.
As for the violence, I thought it was in theme with ancient Greece. It was a time of kill or be killed, especially Kratos, a Spartan, bred for combat.

And the sex minigame was easily the best one in the series, if you found this too much, prepare for what's waiting in GoW2.

I'm not arguing with his reasons for revenge or anger toward Zeus and the gods, but this game, moreso than past titles, just seemed to be extremely violent. Humanity has always been violent. And I understand some of it is in relation to the theme and time.

The game doesn't even tell you to stop when you're crushing Zeus's head under your fists. I kept asking myself if it would be over soon.

And I haven't played GOW 2 since 2007, but I think I played the sex mini game.

I forgot to mention in my initial write-up that the game is definitely epic. It was like a summer movie blockbuster. And I'm happy Sony released it now versus the fall. I hope the game is a system seller.

So I beat it. I missed some of the godly possessions. So this whole thing with them turning off the trophies, I take it that applies to all trophies, not just the combat ones. I wouldn't be able to turn them on and get the ones I missed and still get the trophies for it?

NeoUltima said:
First time Kratos see's Pandora he says "Colliope?!". When he says "You shouldn't [trust me]" he says it in a more somber tone. Also, he killed Hera because she insulted Pandora. That made Kratos mad and snap her neck. Kratos still chose vengeance over her anyway, he let her go into the flame to attack Zeus. There were other hints too(for this and other things like 'hope' in box) that you will notice on repeat playthroughs

It would take an idiot not to notice them on the first playthrough. It doesn't make them effective. In fact it's their lack of subtlety that contributes to the tonal problems.

(As a side it's terribly condescending to imply that the reason someone didn't like something is because they "don't get it" or missed some asset)

Slurmer

Banned
jett said:
It gives you all the weapons right from the start? HEH.

Yep! I just came to post about it because I wasn't sure anyone knew. Surprised the hell out of me:lol
Kind of ruins my Titan run, but oh well.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so yeah , after my post yesterday , I tried playing with my lil health bar , can survive but got killed many times too annoying , no good , changed Normal and game lost it's "feel" , so restarted the game on hard again , but since I was in the middle parts of it after I hit new game and the long first level , I didn't feel playing the entire thing anymore , I guess I screwed myself :(

but I well try to return to the game next month or something ..I hope ( well trying to pick Gorgon Eyes this time , but seriously they should put them in the player way like in Ninja Gaiden and other games and Instead of hiding them like some sort of Ester eggs or something ).

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Fun stuff with the "New Game +" glitch:
- Combat grappling various stages of Poseidon with the Claws, Cestus or Whip gets you some amusing visual glitches

- The onyx around Gaia's heart can't be broken (doesn't have any hit boxes) in the prologue

- When you get the Blades of Exile in Hades, they're Level 1 (everything else is fully upgraded)

- No hit box on the first bramble you encounter in Realm of Hades

- Second bramble (by Peirithous) can be sequence broken

- Helios chests in Hades can be revealed

- You can break the onyx around the Judges, but the game crashes
Good times. Maybe it'll be possible to sequence break the
bridge outside Aphrodite's chamber.

Totobeni said:
so yeah , after my post yesterday , I tried playing with my lil health bar , can survive but got killed many times too annoying , no good , changed Normal and game lost it's "feel" , so restarted the game on hard again , but since I was in the middle parts of it after I hit new game and the long first level , I didn't feel playing the entire thing anymore , I guess I screwed myself :(

but I well try to return to the game next month or something ..I hope ( well trying to pick Gorgon Eyes this time , but seriously they should put them in the player way like in Ninja Gaiden and other games and Instead of hiding them like some sort of Ester eggs or something ).

I thought they were the easiest to find in this game then out of the entire series.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
DualShadow said:
I thought they were the easiest to find in this game then out of the entire series.

Definitely. Just use Helios' head everywhere to check for hidden chests (and snoop around the different localisations), and you're good to go. They were much harder to find in GoW and GoW II.

Thrakier

Hello.

So I don't get this Pandora stuff. They did he have to hide her from Zeus? And why was Zeus so angry at him? Also it seemed kinda random that that stone to forge the new weapon with which you can activate some bridges is hidden in a titan...and kratos finds it...by accident? I don't know. Some of the stuff they did is amazing, like this fight or the hercules fight or the intro. But the story doesn't hold it together very well so far. And besides the scope I think UC2 is definitly the better looking game.

Veelk

Banned
Aokage said:
Fun stuff with the "New Game +" glitch:
- Combat grappling various stages of Poseidon with the Claws, Cestus or Whip gets you some amusing visual glitches

- The onyx around Gaia's heart can't be broken (doesn't have any hit boxes) in the prologue

- When you get the Blades of Exile in Hades, they're Level 1 (everything else is fully upgraded)

- No hit box on the first bramble you encounter in Realm of Hades

- Second bramble (by Peirithous) can be sequence broken

- Helios chests in Hades can be revealed

- You can break the onyx around the Judges, but the game crashes
Good times. Maybe it'll be possible to sequence break the
bridge outside Aphrodite's chamber.

What the hell? How did you get new game +? It doesn't exist for GoW3. You can keep the godly possessions you find, but otherwise everything is reset. How did you get the weapons?

Edit: Oh, it's a glitch. Reading comprehension, must get :p

torontoml

Generic said:
What the hell? How did you get new game +? It doesn't exist for GoW3. You can keep the godly possessions you find, but otherwise everything is reset. How did you get the weapons?

Edit: Oh, it's a glitch. Reading comprehension, must get :p
Its a glitch, using the combat arena.

kikanny

jett said:
holy shit at 'bare hands' challenge.. Twice the timer has gone down as I was killing the final enemy. :|
Just finished the challenges. You definitely need some luck for that one. That and Get Stoned were the hardest.

V_Ben

Banned
Does anybody know which track it is from the OST that plays during the
Hercules
battle? I can't find it anywhere :-/

KZObsessed

Completed it. Amazing game. Tho I have some issues with it, and there were a couple of parts that were really annoying with some shitty checkpoints, overall I think I enjoyed it more than the previous two games. Best part was the fight against
Cronos
, I couldn't quite believe it. The intro as well was just staggering with what was happening around you. Can't believe what they managed to achieve during gameplay.

I sucked pretty bad with the trophies tho. Didn't max out all my weapons. Didn't get all the minotaur horns, didn't get all the godly possessions lol oh well, I think I'm gonna play through the GOW Collection when it comes out and then replay this on Titan mode.

Thrakier

KZObsessed said:
Completed it. Amazing game. Tho I have some issues with it, and there were a couple of parts that were really annoying with some shitty checkpoints, overall I think I enjoyed it more than the previous two games. Best part was the fight against
Cronos
, I couldn't quite believe it. The intro as well was just staggering with what was happening around you. Can't believe what they managed to achieve during gameplay.

I sucked pretty bad with the trophies tho. Didn't max out all my weapons. Didn't get all the minotaur horns, didn't get all the godly possessions lol oh well, I think I'm gonna play through the GOW Collection when it comes out and then replay this on Titan mode.

You failed so hard because you weren't in the legends chat which gives you +30% on all skills. I invited you twice, but you ignored me.

jett

D-Member
kikanny said:
Just finished the challenges. You definitely need some luck for that one. That and Get Stoned were the hardest.

Yeah I finished them all. They weren't particularly fun, entertaining or even challenging. Just fucking annoying!

Any tips for beating the
giant scorpion boss ? I got to the second phase, after knocking off all its leg armor with the cestus and I think my health got refilled. And now it's crawling over the side and blowing acid. What's next actually hacking the legs off ? I've noticed its body seems to have armor too, I could damage it when it was slumped down after the first phase. Should I stay with that weapon or is it weak to something else ? I use my nemesis whip a lot on the babies.

KZObsessed

Thrakier said:
You failed so hard because you weren't in the legends chat which gives
you +30% on all skills. I invited you twice, but you ignored me.

That's because CrushDance invited me already so I didn't receive your invites :p

I have joined but no one is chatting.

Thrakier

KZObsessed said:
That's because CrushDance invited me already so I didn't receive your invites :p

I have joined but no one is chatting.

Yeah, because I already left. You failed. Again.

EDIT:

Also, answer to this, please.
So I don't get this Pandora stuff. They did he have to hide her from Zeus? And why was Zeus so angry at him? Also it seemed kinda random that that stone to forge the new weapon with which you can activate some bridges is hidden in a titan...and kratos finds it...by accident? I don't know. Some of the stuff they did is amazing, like this fight or the hercules fight or the intro. But the story doesn't hold it together very well so far. And besides the scope I think UC2 is definitly the better looking game.

kikanny

Thrakier said:

EDIT:

From the second game, Zeus killed Kratos because he became so powerful and was scared that Kratos would ultimately kill him to get the throne of Olympus just like Zeus did with Cronos. On his quest for revenge, Kratos end's up killing Zeus' brothers, sons, daughter and his wife. I'm pretty sure this would make even the King of Gods even more angry at Kratos.

Pandora was the key to opening the box. Athena thought, this way Kratos could get the power needed to kill Zeus. Therefore, Zeus was hiding Pandora from Kratos so that he can't find her and open the box.

As for the weapon, its a game. You just happen to get the stuff you need most of the times.

KZObsessed

Thrakier said:

EDIT:

Pandora was the key to the box that was created. If Zeus found out about her he would have taken her and sealed her away so no one could get to her. Hephaestus loved her like a daughter and didn't want that. Zeus was angry because Hephaestus said the safest place for Pandora's box was on the back of Cronos yet Kratos was able to retrieve it and Zeus found out that Hephaestus had hidden Pandora from him. Hephaestus knew the stone was in Cronos when he sent Kratos to get it, he wanted Kratos to be killed because he knew he was going to use Pandora to open the box, killing her in the process.

JohngPR

Just defeated
Cronos and Hephaestus.

First off holy crap was the fight with Cronos epic. This is probably the goriest game I've ever played. LOL

I felt horrible about Hephaestus, because he was genuinely a good guy and was pissed off that you slept with his wife Aphrodite, which I can't really blame him for. It was kind of messed up that Kratos killed him, but I guess the sitatuion at that point was kill or be killed.

I've really enjoyed all of the god battles so far.

One of the creepiest moments in the game was the way Kratos was staring at Hermes' legs as he was talking. He just had this creepy serial killer look like he was just waiting for him to stop talking so he could chop off his legs.

Top Bottom