• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

HalcyonTB12 said:
I'm just talking about the double jumping. People are like falling to their deaths because they're saying the double jump is messed up. I'm just not having that problem because it feels exactly like the other games. I know the platforming isn't its strong point, but i don't think the game really requires all that much actual platforming, just jumping over gaps and whatnot.
I didn't have a single problem with double jumping in the demo or in my Titan run. I started a new run on Easy to get the last few trophies and there was one place in Hades that was definitely screwed up at least temporarily. I tried double jumping well before the ledge, a little before it and right at the edge, it made no difference. I would fly for 1-2 seconds then fall to my death even though I was still holding X and had not gone very far. I exited to the main menu and reloaded my game and it was fine after that.

NO!R

Banned
betweenthewheels said:
I'm surprised a few podcasts say the violence goes "over the line"

The game is so over the top in every regard, I don't get how it can be so offensive.

My dad sat down at around the Hermes part and when I chopped off Hermes' legs he was horrified.

Can't blame other people for not being desensitized. :/

kikanny

Kos Luftar said:
Does this person know of God of War and Kratos?

I think if you have followed Kratos from the beginning there is nothing to be surprised.

The only thing I wish they did, was followed one of the ideas from the God of War I bonus videos, instead of making it into a god killing simulator.
They could have. But the problem was continuing the story from the God of War 2 right, where Kratos became a complete asshole with nothing but vegeance.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
HalcyonTB12 said:
I'm just talking about the double jumping. People are like falling to their deaths because they're saying the double jump is messed up. I'm just not having that problem because it feels exactly like the other games. I know the platforming isn't its strong point, but i don't think the game really requires all that much actual platforming, just jumping over gaps and whatnot.

Yeah, I felt the platforming felt the exact same as it did before. I died a lot because of weird camera angles that didn't let me properly gauge where/when to land though.

dralla

HalcyonTB12 said:
I think there's a glitch with the double jump, there seems to be an obscene amount of people complaining about it and than people like me who have had zero problems with it. I think like the R1 glitch, there may be a glitch with the double jump.

Man, I forgot how much of a bitch
Hera
is.

Just beat
Hercules
. Quite a gruesome death for such a beloved hero. Of course that's one of the reasons I love this game.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
dralla said:
I think there's a glitch with the double jump, there seems to be an obscene amount of people complaining about it and than people like me who have had zero problems with it. I think like the R1 glitch, there may be a glitch with the double jump.

I think so too...there were quite a few times when i would jump with X, press X again and hold it, but Kratos would fall like a rock. Then i wouldnt have issues again for a while, then out of the blue it would happen again. I've been gaming for 20+ years and one of my favorite game types is action/adventure and i would say most modern titles like this..if not all of them involve some sort of jump/double jump mechanic. I'm not stupid..i know how to double-jump. :lol

vazel

Banned
dralla said:
I can't think of any other explanation for all this complaining either. I had absolutely zero problems with double jumping.

I experienced one glitch yesterday. One of the health chest would not give me health on Chaos mode. I needed it also but I made through it.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
I think so too...there were quite a few times when i would jump with X, press X again and hold it, but Kratos would fall like a rock. Then i wouldnt have issues again for a while, then out of the blue it would happen again. I've been gaming for 20+ years and one of my favorite game types is action/adventure and i would say most modern titles like this..if not all of them involve some sort of jump/double jump mechanic. I'm not stupid..i know how to double-jump. :lol

It was brought up in here a few times. And it's the ledge issue, not the jumping itself or the x Button. You really do have to jump early, well before the ledge. I was having the same issue, especially in the three judges portion. But once I got it down, I never had a problem after. But it's not the most perfect execution ever. The whole invisible wall thing is wonky because it's not uniform. A lot of spots have it but some do not.

Leunam

I think I might know what the problem is with the double jump. I figured it out in Hades by the first save point. Some platforms have a barrier in place which prevent you from walking off, you'll simply run into an invisible wall. If I were to try to jump to another platform before I touched that wall, the second jump wouldn't register. If I run to the edge, then jump, I could double jump no problem.

Granted, this isn't the case everywhere since there are some platforms with no such boundary, but you get my point. I think someone should try to test this out.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
So is there a bit in this game which isn't absolutely fucking awesome?? I came on NeoGAF to complain about things but the game won't let me. :(

Supposedly Kratos is too mean and he can sometimes hurt your feelings.

Classic24

Banned
the only real problem i have is that my 1080i sony hdtv isnt centered properly, so I had to go into the display settings in the game to change the x and y axis, didnt have this problem with other games eh

Autofokus

nskinnear said:
The only problem I ever had was with save points. It often took a while for them to activate. Besides that, everything in the game ran fine for me.

I assume the auto-save feature is sometimes busy at that time, disabling those manual savepoints for a few seconds.

+1 for jumping glitch problems. I feel like I need to jump a bit early for the double jump to register. If I to use normal platforming "run to the edge and jump" timing, I seem to die pretty often.

Enojado

thedrizzle34 said:
+1 for jumping glitch problems. I feel like I need to jump a bit early for the double jump to register. If I to use normal platforming "run to the edge and jump" timing, I seem to die pretty often.

Count me in for jumping glitch problems. I thought I was the only one and am glad others are also having problems.

.la1n

count me on the jumping glitch, and this is coming from someone fresh off a full replay of GoW I & GoW II on the PS3 collection disc.

The Chef

Man this GiantBomb Podcast blows.

Having to suffer through 5 min of them talking about what a terrible design decision it was for SSM to put the QT events on the edges of the screen because they can't see them makes me feel like I am listening to a Matlock Podcast review of the game.

NO!R

Banned
OMG this game just glitched out so bad on me. I was in the part right after when you first meet the hammer dudes in Hades, and the little tunnel opening after you glide down to the health chest is a glitch portal (if you can picture what that is)

The edges repeat themselves endlessly with the camera movements, that kinda thing. So i jumped in, to my risk mind you, fearing this thing could crash my Trey and I didnt stop falling.

Had to exit. Kratos just went meta on my ass.:lol

Enojado said:
Count me in for jumping glitch problems. I thought I was the only one and am glad others are also having problems.
What did the others do to you for you to be glad that they are having problems? :lol

j/k I know what you meant ^_^

spats

The Chef said:

Having to suffer through 5 min of them talking about what a terrible design decision it was for SSM to put the QT events on the edges of the screen because they can't see them makes me feel like I am listening to a Matlock Podcast review of the game.

Oh my.

grumble

Enojado said:

It's not a glitch, it's a game design flaw. Basically, the borders for the edges in past GOW gaes were right outside of the edge, but in GOW3 they're right on the edge, so if you wait until you're at the edge before jumping you'll hit the barrier and it'll screw you up. Just jump slightly before the edge and you're fine.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
So I've been playing with the "New Game +" glitch, hoping you could sequence break something significant. You can.

With the Whip, you can activate the bridge outside Aphrodite's chambers to completely skip the Tartarus/Cronos battle/Omphalos Stone deal. I guess that leaves Hephaestus alive, toiling away down there :lol

It's also possible to
run on any Hermes surface, including the wall in The Forge. Unfortunately, the Hyperion Gate up there does nothing until you actually meet Aphrodite. You can also run up the wall before the Hermes fight, but after advancing a few screens the game stops streaming in new data and Kratos will fall to his death.

Pretty fun, all in all, but it's very obvious why there's no true New Game + option this time around. Even if hit boxes earlier in the game were removed, there are a number of combat glitches that occur when you attack bosses with weapons you're not supposed to have yet.

SaitoH

Leunam said:
I think I might know what the problem is with the double jump. I figured it out in Hades by the first save point. Some platforms have a barrier in place which prevent you from walking off, you'll simply run into an invisible wall. If I were to try to jump to another platform before I touched that wall, the second jump wouldn't register. If I run to the edge, then jump, I could double jump no problem.

Granted, this isn't the case everywhere since there are some platforms with no such boundary, but you get my point. I think someone should try to test this out.

I had issues with the double jump for a while until I started doing the X inputs quickly.

My personal take on the issue is that if you delay inputs too much --kind of like how you'd delay jump inputs to max out height in any other game-- the second press causes you to plummet when you're over a gap.

That may not be the case but I never mess up any more.

kikanny

The Chef said:

Why are you doing this to yourself man?!

NO!R

Banned
The Chef said:

If there's anything the industry is known for is for its many cynics. Move along, I say.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The Chef said:

How dumb they have to be to not realize that they did that precisely so you don't have to look at what symbol is on the QT event, but just press the button that's physically on that same side of the front buttons group when you catch its appearance in your peripheral vision?

Johnas

Aokage said:
So I've been playing with the "New Game +" glitch, hoping you could sequence break something significant. You can.

With the Whip, you can activate the bridge outside Aphrodite's chambers to completely skip the Tartarus/Cronos battle/Omphalos Stone deal. I guess that leaves Hephaestus alive, toiling away down there :lol

It's also possible to
run on any Hermes surface, including the wall in The Forge. Unfortunately, the Hyperion Gate up there does nothing until you actually meet Aphrodite. You can also run up the wall before the Hermes fight, but after advancing a few screens the game stops streaming in new data and Kratos will fall to his death.

Pretty fun, all in all, but it's very obvious why there's no true New Game + option this time around. Even if hit boxes earlier in the game were removed, there are a number of combat glitches that occur when you attack bosses with weapons you're not supposed to have yet.

Cool stuff, even if it doesn't end up working out in full.

Finally wrapped up Titan mode last night. I kind of doubt I'll play through Chaos mode, not anytime soon anyway. I really enjoyed Titan's difficulty, it would have made for a pretty satisfying Normal imo (although I know a lot of people would have gotten frustrated and probably not finished the game). Normal is really just too much of a cakewalk.

Still missing some trophies, but I don't really care too much about trophies in general. Still have Demon's Souls sitting here unplayed.

Bliddo

The Chef said:

As much as I hate QTEs, GOW has the best implementation of them... I can just use my peripheral vision, while focusing on the action, just perfect

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Lord Error said:
How dumb they have to be to not realize that they did that precisely so you don't have to look at what symbol is on the QT event, but just press the button that's physically on that same side of the front buttons group when you catch its appearance in your peripheral vision?

But my peripheral vision is kinda borked since my right eye is fucked up due to keratoconus and my left eye is focusing on the action in the middle of the screen, not the edges of the screen :| The placement of the QTE symbols would probably my only major complaint against GoW III.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
they do realise it's relative to controller position, right?

The Chef

kikanny said:
Why are you doing this to yourself man?!

Your right man I was hoping for a intelligent roundtable discussion but I just got a bunch tunnel visioned slow talking middle-aged dudes. I must have just wanted some punishment.

ronny_1

Neo Member
I dont known if this thread are the right place to ask this but... if not, don't answer XD

Can anyone tell me if the USA version of the game has multilingual options?

What? The new QTEs are done so much better. Now I can finally see wtf is going on and click the buttons at the same time. It's great.

I'm up to
Chronos
on Titan mode and I've clocked in about 7.5 hours so far. Any idea how far into the game I am? I want to make this last as long as possible :lol I've spent a lot of time just exploring around.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bliddo said:
As much as I hate QTEs, GOW has the best implementation of them... I can just use my peripheral vision, while focusing on the action, just perfect
It's funny how wildly different QTE implementation is in Heavy Rain. But I love what they've done with them too. Making the symbol move together with the action so when your eyes naturally track the action, you never have to look away to see what you need to press.

Vortex566

Well, let's be honest what does he really know?

I finished it tonight and all I can say is "epic". To think I almost did not pick this up because I was play Dante's!

jett

D-Member
The Chef said:

I knew those guys were special, but that's just fucking stupid!

kikanny

The Chef said:
Your right man I was hoping for a intelligent roundtable discussion but I just got a bunch tunnel visioned slow talking middle-aged dudes. I must have just wanted some punishment.
Its going to be a long time before we get an intelligent round table discussion for a video game. The maturity just isn't there right now among the "journalists".

ronny_1 said:
I dont known if this thread are the right place to ask this but... if not, don't answer XD

Can anyone tell me if the USA version of the game has multilingual options?
Only English, I think.

effingvic said:
What? The new QTEs are done so much better. Now I can finally see wtf is going on and click the buttons at the same time. It's great.

I'm up to
Chronos
on Titan mode and I've clocked in about 7.5 hours so far. Any idea how far into the game I am? I want to make this last as long as possible :lol I've spent a lot of time just exploring around.
Around 65%. Savour every moment. That's all I can say. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
kikanny said:
Its going to be a long time before we get an intelligent round table discussion for a video game. The maturity just isn't there right now among the "journalists".
:lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
thedrizzle34 said:

Didn't the developer who posted here say this? This was there way of keeping people from running of ledges, you have to jump early.

It's not a glitch, you need to adjust.

Top Bottom