• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DeadGzuz said:
Didn't the developer who posted here say this? This was there way of keeping people from running of ledges, you have to jump early.

It's not a glitch, you need to adjust.
I didn't really notice it in this game, especially after the how shitty the edge-jumps were in Darksiders.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the Giant Bomb discussion was actually pretty fair.

I don't totally agree, but they were justified.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Bliddo said:
As much as I hate QTEs, GOW has the best implementation of them... I can just use my peripheral vision, while focusing on the action, just perfect

Actually Heavy Rain has the most perfect use of them. Transparent, yet easy to see, and right on the action without covering the important stuff.

The Chef said:
Your right man I was hoping for a intelligent roundtable discussion but I just got a bunch tunnel visioned slow talking middle-aged dudes. I must have just wanted some punishment.

I don't even understand this. Why do people listen to long-ass conversations OTHER people have about games? What does it have to do with your life or what you like? Do those game journalists even ever bring up anything that you never could have figured out or thought about yourself? Such a waste, in my opinion. There's better things to do than listen to old men ramble about video games you do or don't care about.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
cosmicblizzard said:
You really gotta feel bad for
Hepaestus. All he wanted to do was save his daughter. Kratos is such a dick :/

Hephaestus
did attack Kratos first though. But still, I felt bad for killing him when all he wanted was to
protect Pandora :/
I felt kinda bad for killing
Cronos
too.

kikanny

cosmicblizzard said:
Yup. He was really a wonderful and a refreshing character in the God of War world.

cosmicblizzard said:

Out of everything, I think the
scenes between Haephaestus and Kratos are probably at the root of the criticism about the game's overly angry tones. It felt like they were building to something with them, Kratos mistaking Pandora for Caliope, the scene with Apollo where Kratos says he trust Haeph precisely because he was spurned by Olympus. That it ended with Kratos murdering Haeph felt like a missed oppurtunity for some mature-ish character development, and would have made the later compassionate Kratos more believable

Ughh inside the labyrinth on Chaos is a pain in the ass. The amount of Siren, groundhog douchbags, and shieldys are ridiculous. Just when I was about to beat it the game froze.

Arsenic

Dogenzaka said:
Actually Heavy Rain has the most perfect use of them. Transparent, yet easy to see, and right on the action without covering the important stuff.
I agree with this 100%.
At first, while playing the E3 demo, I didn't like the QTE placement. It wasn't because i didn't understand it was relative to the placement on the controller, it just wasn't big enough for me to realize a button has to be press, aka it wasn't "attention catching".

Speaking of which, those of you having difficulties with the flying/falling/icarus wings sections, here's a tip:

Besides using the dodge button (i didn't know of this either, and I platinum'd the fucking game lol) trying looking further up ahead rather than whats coming up next, as if you're driving car. When you lose focus and look whats going on around you, you can miss any openings.

Tip for fire cerberus fight:

First off, you'll need full magic bar, full rage meter, and Level 5 Blades.
First, like someone mentioned earlier just do normal attacks with blades on the first phase. As soon as you chop one head off, have Rage of Olympus activated and try to land as many hits as you can on just the cerberus, as it can hop side to side quickly and mess up Kratos targeting. IF that doesnt get the QTE to pop up, try landing that Square, Triangle, Triangle combo and that should do it. For the third phase, you must use the magic tied to the blades (army or sparta i think is the name). This is also the reason your blades should be at Max level (level 5) to enable the button-prompt for additional raining arrows. Spam that bitch when you're close to cerberus and spam spam spam. If you have magic left over and can no longer activate army of sparta (it uses up about 20-25% i believe), quickly switch to the Claws and use up the remaining magic. That should kill the fire asshole and also weaken the satyrs. After that, focus on dodging aerial attacks from the satyrs and try not to be so aggressive. When one is left, just grab it over and over (winning the QTE battle of course) and you should kill it quickly.

Sorry for wall of words.

Arsenic

kikanny said:
Yup. He was really a wonderful and a refreshing character in the God of War world.
He reminded me of Gollum from Lord of the Rings :D
So ugly but certainly the most charming character, one of my favorites. I loved the way they animated him :)

NeoUltima

Ballistictiger said:
Ughh inside the labyrinth on Chaos is a pain in the ass. The amount of Siren, groundhog douchbags, and shieldys are ridiculous. Just when I was about to beat it the game froze.
That battle was the harder part of the game for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Die Squirrel Die said:
scenes between Haephaestus and Kratos are probably at the root of the criticism about the game's overly angry tones. It felt like they were building to something with them, Kratos mistaking Pandora for Caliope, the scene with Apollo where Kratos says he trust Haeph precisely because he was spurned by Olympus. That it ended with Kratos murdering Haeph felt like a missed oppurtunity for some mature-ish character development, and would have made the later compassionate Kratos more believable
I agree with you but I think killing Haephestus actually makes late game Kratos more understandable. He didn't really have any problem with Haephestus until he was attacked. He even seemed like he was letting the whole Cronos trap slide. He identifies with Haephestus because of their hatred for Zeus and the fact that they both lost daughters. That scene shows that Kratos operates out of blind rage and that his anger trumps everything else. When Kratos gets mad he fights and once he starts fighting he can't stop. It reminded me a lot of when he killed his wife and daughter. I always felt like it was his guilt and the vague similarities to the situation with his own family that made him actually care about Pandora and truly want to protect her. It also goes well with when he lets go of Pandora and lets her fall into the flame. Much like with Haephestus, Kratos' blind rage and urge to fight overpowered his small sense of compassion.

I'm probably thinking too hard about the whole thing.

Thrakier

I'm kinda dissapointed by the graphics. Sure, when the game looks good it really does look good and outshines almost everything, but there are just so many grey, foggy places with ugly textures too...

I beat the game yesterday, playing Heavy Rain now.

This game definitely increases my hate for Kratos. I've never liked him, never thought he had any redeeming character qualities. He's just a douchebag. It's lame to see him destroy so much and he's not protecting anyone in the process. Just his own revenge. I like the game, I just hate Kratos. He's the biggest villain of them all.

Die Squirrel Die said:

Makes sense. I mean I've felt bad for a lot of the people Kratos slaughtered but you never knew the "good" ones for more than a few minutes at most. Here, we have a
potential ally that actually treats Kratos like a friend for a decent chunk of the game. Even Kratos seems to care about him in his own demented way.
I guess going by that logic, I should also feel bad for
Gaia, but she wasn't exactly "good". Haephaestus was an endearing and somewhat relatable character compared to her.

Arsenic

Ok final post for tonight.

I myself found a few glitches in the game, such as falling through Gaia in the first fight of the game, 5th phase (what-his-face stabs at you with his trident). I didnt get to record it.

But this next glitch I did:

It was during the boss fight with
Hermes
has he just kept running in places after he was hurt. Don't click the video of course until you're at least 5 hours into the game. It's not really spoiler heavy, but still I dont want to upset any passionate fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhU-k_S3iE8

kikanny

Arsenic said:
He reminded me of Gollum from Lord of the Rings :D
So ugly but certainly the most charming character, one of my favorites. I loved the way they animated him :)
I was just literally standing there and watching him do his work for like 10 mins. :lol

cosmicblizzard said:
Makes sense. I mean I've felt bad for a lot of the people Kratos slaughtered but you never knew the "good" ones for more than a few minutes at most. Here, we have a
potential ally that actually treats Kratos like a friend for a decent chunk of the game. Even Kratos seems to care about him in his own demented way.
I guess going by that logic, I should also feel bad for
Gaia, but she wasn't exactly "good". Haephaestus was an endearing and somewhat relatable character compared to her.

Well, it was self-defense, TBH.

However, I agree the writers could have written a better arc for their relationship.

cosmicblizzard said:

He reminded me of Rip Torn for some reason. I kept thinking damnit Kratos, Rip Torn is awesome why are you such a dick?

edit: Nvmd. I love Rip Torn. He should be in everything.

.la1n

GillianSeed79 said:
He reminded me of Rip Torn for some reason. I kept thinking damnit Kratos, Rip Torn is awesome why are you such a dick?

yeah correct me if i'm wrong but I believe he is in fact voiced by rip torn

edit: beaten

Arsenic

kikanny said:
I was just literally standing there and watching him do his work for like 10 mins. :lol
:lol yup i did the same thing. and after the second visit i loved the different camera angle they placed so then you can see its folding his legs indian-style while doing what he does. He like a grown baby lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just started up Titan and holy shit it's kicking my ass. :lol

I thought that almost 3 full playthroughs on God would have made it much easier. I can't believe some of you did this for your first runthrough. I'm definitely going to stick with it though, it's the last thing between me and the Platinum.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Listen here you son of the bitches, I need halp in the
Scorpion
boss fight. Playing it on Titan and I am getting frustrated.

And damn this thread has lots of views for the ammount of posts. Similar to KZ2. Lots of sideline viewers. Yea, the game is that awesome.

Got this at midnight launch and im taking my sweet time with it....maybe 5 hours in.

PS. Took number 9 avatar off the OP since I see no one claimed it.

G-Fex

LiquidMetal14 said:
Scorpion

And damn this thread has lots of views for the ammount of posts. Similar to KZ2. Lots of sideline viewers. Yea, the game is that awesome.

I HATE HATE HATE That fight. Made me realize more than ever that i'm so bad at GOW.

I really liked fighting
Hercules
the fight was so awesome but I hate it cause...WHO DOESNT Like him? They turned him into a lackey in this game though. :\ Stupid Zeus.

Greg

LiquidMetal14 said:
Scorpion

Mash O a bunch near the little scorpions because they give you health and the QTE sequence won't allow you to be hit, and use the magic that comes with the blades to absorb a hit completely if you find yourself stuck underneath him while he's about to attack.

rmecgn

Neo Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
Scorpion

upgrade your cestus so you have the L1 + square move ... attack the legs by jumping and doing L1 + square ... never stay on the ground, always be jumping ... when he tries to attack you with his tail, air dash towards the screen, if you are stuck just use magic and you won't get damaged .... after the first qte, just keep grabbing the baby scorpions until he finishes his breath attack, it won't hurt you while you are grabbing them ....

Arsenic

RoboPlato said:
Just started up Titan and holy shit it's kicking my ass. :lol

I thought that almost 3 full playthroughs on God would have made it much easier. I can't believe some of you did this for your first runthrough. I'm definitely going to stick with it though, it's the last thing between me and the Platinum.
Practice beating the first boss on Chaos mode and you'd be good to go :lol
Seriously, made titan mode very easy for me.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Scorpion

Son of a bitch here to help.

focus on killing the mini spiders when they get too close/too many. Especially after the first phase/QTE. As for the spider itself, its offensive attacks on the first phase are much weaker/less confusing than the second phase. So... here's what i did.

I damaged all six of his legs until they were red, and went on to break three. After you do the QTE and rip his fang out, you kill the baby spiders, his legs will still be damaged and ready to crack in a few hits.

Carry on destroying the rest of his legs, while rolling away x2 when you see it raise it's big tail. Be patient, be aware, and have control of the fight. Don't get too agreesive when things gets hectic, but when they are quiet, go crazy.

Good luck :D

EDIT: Everyone elses strategy sounds better :( :lol

Aurarian

Just finished the game on Titan mode for my platinum. I didn't see what was so hard about the satyrs + cerberus combo. The only bosses that gave me trouble were Hades and Zeus really.

Arsenic

Aurarian said:
Just finished the game on Titan mode for my platinum. I didn't see what was so hard about the satyrs + cerberus combo. The only bosses that gave me trouble were Hades and Zeus really.
satyrs took me 3-4 deaths to finally get it down. Zeus i beat in one try (2nd phase). every other boss was 1 try. It was just certain fight sequences that was difficult

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Just completed the game 10mins ago, and I just have to rant. Awesome awesome game. I've been avoiding the thread till I've completed the game, and it's worth it. I think it is the best in the series - more memorable moments, more scale, combat to a razor's edge, and excellent pacing. Even better than GOW2, which I thought dragged a little near the end. I really love the parts where they must have like 20 grunts all rushing you at the same time with a minotaur or two thrown in. Awesome.

The graphics and tech is pretty much the best there is on consoles right now, and I'm inclined to say this game looks a lot more impressive than Uncharted 2 simply because of its scale. Then again, I don't this fact needs mentioning. First game where I can say the graphics REALLY look like CG.

Favorite weapon: Cestus. Close range, but oh so satisfying :D

Didn't feel much for the claw of hades and the lightning weapon (forgot the name) though, they are pretty much just variations of the blades of exile.

jett

D-Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
Scorpion

1)
max out the cestus and abuse the aerial L1+[] move, you'll end up hitting several legs

2)
try to get the scorpion thingies out of the way first with the blades' magic move. if you're low on health you can grab them for green orbs

3)
BLOCK BITCH

4)
when the camera pulls away it means scorpy is ready to use his stinger attack. you can't block this. as soon as you notice this shit is about to go down hermes-dash the fuck out of the way.

Enemies don't gain new attack patterns, you just have to be smarter about dodging and defending.

On that note, I find hard mode to be a hell of a lot easier than in GOW2. You just have so much more defensive options in GOW3, and the enemies don't behave all that differently from previous games.

p.s. Hades Claws is MAD powerful maxxed out, especially the triangle combo. Everything goes down in two or three combos. I don't get the hate for this weapon. Yeah the grapple attack sucks so much dick I wonder if its non-existent attack power is actually a bug, but it's pretty awesome overall. :p The gorgon summon can be very useful. The area with the two satyrs turned out to be easy as fuck thanks to it. :p

Rikyfree

G-Fex said:
I HATE HATE HATE That fight. Made me realize more than ever that i'm so bad at GOW.

I really liked fighting
Hercules
the fight was so awesome but I hate it cause...WHO DOESNT Like him? They turned him into a lackey in this game though. :\ Stupid Zeus.
Well according to the myth, it was Hera that tried to piss all over
Hercules'
life because she was pissed that Zeus kept stepping out on her and sowing his royal 'oats'. The fates saw that he would not be stopped on his way to the top so she made it her mission to spite him and give him 12 shitty jobs to do In fact one had to do, quite literally, with shit. Which I find funny because of her one line, "Bravo for another bastard child of Zeus" and then sends a bastard child of Zeus to kill the other bastard. The irony is palpable.

Ok, just got my Ultimate Edition from my importer. Cool artbook (way better than the R2 one), Pandora's Box... meh, not that awesome, but it's still cool.

Now, I scratch the grey thingie for the arena and skin and what do i find? three fucking letters were misprinted. They were blurry and badly printed. But ok, with patience i could deduce the right letters and was able to download those things.

But, and please help me gaf on this one, i enter the code for the documentary and guess what PSN tells me: "This content is not available on your country". FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I've been trying to find a goddamn proxy for me to download the documentary to my PS3, but i have found nothing. Could someone please help me download this thing?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
DarknessTear said:
I beat the game yesterday, playing Heavy Rain now.

This game definitely increases my hate for Kratos. I've never liked him, never thought he had any redeeming character qualities. He's just a douchebag. It's lame to see him destroy so much and he's not protecting anyone in the process. Just his own revenge. I like the game, I just hate Kratos. He's the biggest villain of them all.

All those reasons are why I love the character Kratos, why should he be the hero? Do you want this game to be like the X-men Origins: Wolverine movie?

jett said:
Sony has put the "Unearthing the Legend" documentary on PSN...for 6 bucks. The fug!?

I can't wait until they put up the costumes. According to the 7-11 promotion, the value of the Morpheus costume is $5. If that's the price, it's absurd.

Slurmer

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

not to mention that
immediately after killing him, he went and fucked his wife.

Top Bottom