• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Schwowsers said:
I can't wait until they put up the costumes. According to the 7-11 promotion, the value of the Morpheus costume is $5. If that's the price, it's absurd.

Thankfully the cashier gave me 5 cups for free, but i felt bad so i gave him 2 bucks for the cost of the drink. I could not take drinking that Kratos toxin. Slurpees are vile vile things.

Everyone here should check out Feedback --God Of War III And Nintendo 3DS Edition

Good discussion on all of the God of War games, oh and yes spoilers for God of War 3 and Chains of Olympus.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Schwowsers said:
I can't wait until they put up the costumes. According to the 7-11 promotion, the value of the Morpheus costume is $5. If that's the price, it's absurd.
But it comes with delicious Slurpees.

neojubei

NameGenerated said:
Go have a pina colada slurpee then tell me it's vile. If you think it is then your taste buds are broken. :p

I'd rather have a pina colada with alcohol :D

When this game looks good it looks really good, found the boss #3 battle on youtube and wow, this game blows me away. Huge spoilers for anyone not finished with the game yet.

I hope Sony Santa Monica takes this engine and creates a new action/adventure IP, because I'm not sure if any multiplatform action/adventure games will look as good as god of war 3.

Banned
just got all platinums in GoW 1, 2 & 3. There is sooo much more variety and way more small environmental puzzles in GoW2 than 3. The combat is slightly better in 2 as well. I love the NEW moves in 3, but the combat system in 2 is TIGHT.

There is so much lacking in GoW 3. It makes me sad. It's soooo dumbed down. Yeah, the Titan battles are cool, but it's all so shallow.

Note: NO FUCKING GAME PLUS!?!! ARGH!! I can't fucking sit through the cutscenes again. 3 has so little replay value it's not even funny.

jett

D-Member
00011000 said:
just got all platinums in GoW 1, 2 & 3. There is sooo much more variety and way more small environmental puzzles in GoW2 than 3. The combat is slightly better in 2 as well. I love the NEW moves in 3, but the combat system in 2 is TIGHT.

There is so much lacking in GoW 3. It makes me sad. It's soooo dumbed down. Yeah, the Titan battles are cool, but it's all so shallow.

Note: NO FUCKING GAME PLUS!?!! ARGH!! I can't fucking sit through the cutscenes again. 3 has so little replay value it's not even funny.

Eh? The combat in GOW2 is boring crap compared to #3.

00011000 said:

What? I'm replaying GOW:C side by side with GOW and I can't tell you how much I miss the GOW3 combat mechanics. The first two games feel like a chore to play through and everything just feels so slow and unresponsive.

X-Burner

Banned
00011000 said:

Godly possessions are essentially the same thing.

Does anybody knows if there is an IP restriction for downloading the "Unearthing the Legend" documentary that comes in the Ultimate Edition. I've been trying to download the goddamn thing several times. Any help plz?

Slurmer

Banned
00011000 said:

I like GOW3 more than GOW2 (though I've been meaning to go back and play GOW2, since it's the only one I never played more than once.) Better graphics, better combat, better story, better bosses, and the moves feel a lot more powerful to me. GOW3 should've had more puzzles and New Game+, those are the only complaints I have--but no way does that make it devoid of replay value or shallow.

Also, the glitch gives you the option for New Game+ now, so go at it. Hopefully they don't patch it out, but instead work out any kinks with it.

neojubei

00011000 said:

I love the grapple move in GOW3 and the weapon variety is better in GOW3, GOW2, one of my all time favorite action/adventure games only had two good weapons, the blades of Athena and the
Blade of Olympus

The environments of GOW2 were better but in GOW3 you are at the end game so it is not expected Kratos would travel far from Zeus's doorstep.

No game plus sucks but having all weapons at the beginning would have broken the game, so the godly possessions are a nice touch, they remind me of the urns in god of war 2.

carpediemdp said:
Does anybody knows if there is an IP restriction for downloading the "Unearthing the Legend" documentary that comes in the Ultimate Edition. I've been trying to download the goddamn thing several times. Any help plz?

I think it is only available for people in the US and Canada. I wish the mock-documentary was on a blu-ray disc instead of a 3g download.

neojubei said:
I think it is only available for people in the US and Canada. I wish the mock-documentary was on a blu-ray disc instead of a 3g download.

Is there a problem if i ask for a working proxy for me to download this thing? I live in south america and i've been trying to download this thing for a while with different proxy html i've found surfing on the web, but nothing has worked. Please help.

I'm guessing I'm near the end seeing as I've maxed out both the item and magic bars. A bit after
Rescuing Pandora. Kratos just dove off the labyrinth.
Probably gonna finish it tomorrow.

fionel

Goddamit my JP copy doesn't contain the English voice track :( Why didn't they just leave it in as an option when other first party titles like uncharted 2 and killzone 2 had it?!

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
fionel said:
Goddamit my JP copy doesn't contain the English voice track :( Why didn't they just leave it in as an option when other first party titles like uncharted 2 and killzone 2 had it?!

That sucks. Previous Japanese GoWs didn't have dual voice tracks either, but with Blu-ray...

I hope you enjoy the rampant censorship (
different camera angles for some of the more brutal executions, no murdering of Olympian citizens, no boobies
) too :/

Although I must say Mister Tessho "Arnold Schwarzenegger" Genda makes a fine Kratos.

SaitoH said:
I had issues with the double jump for a while until I started doing the X inputs quickly.

My personal take on the issue is that if you delay inputs too much --kind of like how you'd delay jump inputs to max out height in any other game-- the second press causes you to plummet when you're over a gap.

That may not be the case but I never mess up any more.
This is exactly what I noticed about a quarter way through the game and I haven't had anymore problems with double jumping when I do it quickly.

Banned
I've played through GoW2 4 times now, and there are still bits I get stuck on. I think that is just amazing. With the amount of energy, passion, inventiveness, refinement put into GoW2, I can understand why it appears like Cory Barlog's health deteriorated significantly during the production of the game. I appreciate part 2 so much more now since playing 3. and only after playing 2 again do I see how much has been left out of 3. GoW3 is a really barebones experience. The fighting on titans is amazing, but came at the expense of everything else (combat excepted), But it was a natural progression. They took 3 steps forward with that one aspect and 2 steps back everywhere else.

(To be honest, I didn't get the same sense of scale during the titan battles as I did in part one where you're on the back of Chronos. Yeah, the technology is amazing, but the overall impact it left of me is not as great.)

Part 2 is actually difficult, you have to figure shit out and use some logic- It's actually challenging. But in 3, everything is sooooo dumbed down. Like the challenge rooms themselves. Can you say easy or what*?(compared to 1 &2)
And showing the footsteps for where you can run with the Hermes boots!
that's pretty shit. (And you can't climb one wall [in Labyrinth]where they tell you to run, even though it has the same texture as all the other climbable walls!)

There's no challenge, everything is laid out bare. There's no challenge in the terrain traversal AT ALL which was a bit hallmark of the series for me, and now it's totally gone.

No spike rooms? wtf! Phoenix chamber, silhouette fight, three horses, temple of euryale, crossing the lowlands. Zeus impaling Kratos. Kratos struggling to fight back just before that. SO Fucking MEMORABLE. And I actually prefer the Zeus battles in 2 as well. More epic.

One complaint about GoW I've often heard is that it takes itself too seriously. I always told whoever said that about the costumes you can unlock. Dairy Bastard, Chef of War, Cod of War etc. Where are these? Where's the humour? Fuck sake, I feel so let down. I have ONE extra costume. Dark Kratos. Big fucking whoop.

Even the sex mini-game is pretty annoying. I would've preferred so much to have had sex with
the two servant girls. Or maybe do Aphrodite first, then the other two.

Pandora is a stupid, annoying bitch.

The ending sucked.

I've got very little good to say about God of War 3 as you can all tell. Still in top three games of this gen though. :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
00011000 said:
I've played through GoW2 4 times now, and there are still bits I get stuck on. I think that is just amazing. With the amount of energy, passion, inventiveness, refinement put into GoW2, I can understand why it appears like Cory Barlog's health deteriorated significantly during the production of the game. I appreciate part 2 so much more now since playing 3. and only after playing 2 again do I see how much has been left out of 3. GoW3 is a really barebones experience. The fighting on titans is amazing, but came at the expense of everything else (combat excepted), But it was a natural progression. They took 3 steps forward with that one aspect and 2 steps back everywhere else.

(To be honest, I didn't get the same sense of scale during the titan battles as I did in part one where you're on the back of Chronos. Yeah, the technology is amazing, but the overall impact it left of me is not as great.)

Part 2 is actually difficult, you have to figure shit out and use some logic- It's actually challenging. But in 3, everything is sooooo dumbed down. Like the challenge rooms themselves. Can you say easy or what*?(compared to 1 &2)
And showing the footsteps for where you can run with the Hermes boots!
that's pretty shit. (And you can't climb one wall [in Labyrinth]where they tell you to run, even though it has the same texture as all the other climbable walls!)

There's no challenge, everything is laid out bare. There's no challenge in the terrain traversal AT ALL which was a bit hallmark of the series for me, and now it's totally gone.

No spike rooms? wtf! Phoenix chamber, silhouette fight, three horses, temple of euryale, crossing the lowlands. Zeus impaling Kratos. Kratos struggling to fight back just before that. SO Fucking MEMORABLE. And I actually prefer the Zeus battles in 2 as well. More epic.

One complaint about GoW I've often heard is that it takes itself too seriously. I always told whoever said that about the costumes you can unlock. Dairy Bastard, Chef of War, Cod of War etc. Where are these? Where's the humour? Fuck sake, I feel so let down. I have ONE extra costume. Dark Kratos. Big fucking whoop.

Even the sex mini-game is pretty annoying. I would've preferred so much to have had sex with
the two servant girls. Or maybe do Aphrodite first, then the other two.

Pandora is a stupid, annoying bitch.

The ending sucked.

I've got very little good to say about God of War 3 as you can all tell. Still in top three games of this gen though. :lol

Agreed with a lot of what you said.

I love the game and it holds a place in my collection, but so far this game has been letdown of the year for me. If it wasn't for the fact that combat was so improved this time around, I'm not sure if I would have made it to the end.

Jubs

Heh, I was reading up on some greek mythology, and it says
Aphrodite and Ares had an affair behind Hephaestus' back.
I guess that would explain why
Hephaestus sarcastically asks Kratos if Aphrodite had conquered another God of War.

Banned
Jubs said:
Hephaestus sarcastically asks Kratos if Aphrodite had conquered another God of War.

nice catch!

Just past the Cerberus boss on Chaos that shit is exhausting. The key is to ignore the Satyr until the Cerberus is dead and yes keeping a far distance from both of them while kicking dogs and pummeling them with arrow spam.

Nyx said:
Just did the scene with
Aphrodite
, that was sad and hilarious at the same time. :lol

Once you beat the game, in the making of videos about motion capture, they show the actors motion capturing that scene :D

Also there is another video with the concept artist who had to imagine that character.

PuppetMaster said:
Once you beat the game, in the making of videos about motion capture, they show the actors motion capturing that scene :D

Also there is another video with the concept artist who had to imagine that character.

too bad they didn't use some of the more risque design for aphrodite =P

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Jubs said:

I noticed that too, yes. What I just didn't get why he was so upset about it. IIRC Mt Olympus was one big orgy and most gods didn't even stay on Olympus, but went down to fuck humans as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I had to start the game again. Hades is still a cunt on Titan.

Edit: I beat him without too much trouble right after I posted. :lol

Canova

Banned
00011000 said:

There IS new game plus. You can even advance difficulty and earn trophies

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Always-honest said:
still playing mass effect 2 (little time lately..) but thinking of buying God of war 3.

what's the GAF-verdict on this game?

General opinion seems to be:
-The game is overall slightly weaker than GoW II, but better than the original GoW
-Graphics are amazing
-Combat has improved a lot
-The story is OKish, and does a decent job at tying up the plots of the previous games
-The ending is a bit of a letdown
-Satyrs still suck
-Giant crates are lolwat

Combichristoffersen said:
-The game is overall slightly weaker than GoW II, but better than the original GoW
-Graphics are amazing
-The story is OKish, and does a decent job at tying up the plots of the previous games
-Satyrs still suck
-Giant crates are lolwat

okay thanx. guess i'll buy it.

Canova

Banned
-Graphics are amazing
-Satyrs still suck
-Giant crates are lolwat

nah GOW3 > GOW2.

GOW2 is a bore-fest

Combichristoffersen

canova said:
nah GOW3 > GOW2.

GOW2 is a bore-fest

..wat

GoW II is the best game in the trilogy. More bosses, longer game, more variation in level design, and the game actually feels like you're traversing a cohesive world (unlike GoW III which, at times, just feels like a random mashup of different locales)

GoW III is a great game, but it's not as good as GoW II.

Canova

Banned
..wat

GoW II is the best game in the trilogy. More bosses, longer game, more variation in level design, and the game actually feels like you're traversing a cohesive world (unlike GoW III which, at times, just feels like a random mashup of different locales)

GoW III is a great game, but it's not as good as GoW II.

too many puzzles, and they are all same old un-original puzzles

Halcyon

I think i'm in the minority of people that think GoW is better than GoW2. I like the story and the world a little better. It's a self contained game.

I love gow3. I like the fact that it's all sorta in the same area, because I enjoy going back through some of the lower sections seeing what it was all about. My only complaint is that i think the labyrinth coulda been a little more inspired. The box stuff is sorta bland.

KingGondo

Banned
All three games are amazing, and they all have different things going for them.

Don't know why this has to be an adversarial thing.

Chuckie

KingGondo said:

I'm also a bit suprised with this. Especially the tone of the comparison.

kikanny

KingGondo said:

Exactly. Each game is different and has its own thing going for it. They should all be played and had fun with. I guess this can be attributed 3 different directors for the game. It definitely doesn't feel more of the same.

Banned
HalcyonTB12 said:
I think i'm in the minority of people that think GoW is better than GoW2. I like the story and the world a little better. It's a self contained game.

I love gow3. I like the fact that it's all sorta in the same area, because I enjoy going back through some of the lower sections seeing what it was all about. My only complaint is that i think the labyrinth coulda been a little more inspired. The box stuff is sorta bland.

Yeah, those things are best in 1. However - dare I say - the gameplay is a limiting compared to its sequels. Yeah, best story by a country mile.

bunbun777

Well I am almost done with Titan Mode, at the darn
cerebus satyr fight
and then the game is platted.

Beautiful game sometimes I go slow, appreciating all the angles when I am not fighting. Great job on the weapons this time, most fun I have had-- there really isn't a dud imo. That in itself lends to more playthroughs, you can switch on the fly and the combos, oh so pretty with the multicolored light show- orange, purple, blue, green...

And the boobs were very nice in this game, I dare say best video game boobs I've ever seen?

And just to throw this fun fact out there that may or not blow your m i n d:

Gaia gave birth to Cronos, then got him to castrate his father, Uranus. Cronos flung the junk into the sea, out of which camE Aphrodite...
remember that the next time you initiate the mini game,
and the stone that Kratos pulled out of Cronos, that was the fake Zeus baby-- sorry but new to me

Combichristoffersen

00011000 said:
Yeah, those things are best in 1. However - dare I say - the gameplay is a limiting compared to its sequels. Yeah, best story by a country mile.

I'd say the story is the best in GoW I, while GoW II had the overall better world (and better everything in general compared to GoW I).

Banned
kikanny said:
Exactly. Each game is different and has its own thing going for it. They should all be played and had fun with. I guess this can be attributed 3 different directors for the game. It definitely doesn't feel more of the same.

But what did 3 improve over 2 other than the things that are to be expected from a transition to HD? We have HD this, HD that, 5.1, more weapons. That's about it. EVERYTHING else was stripped down to a bare minimum. Including the fan-service which is non-existent. (I mean costumes, other collectables/trinkets/costumes) You'd expect the fan-service to be astronomical in the LAST PART OF A TRILOGY!

I've actually slept on it and still feel the same. GoW3 is a terrible, terrible send-off for Kratos. I demand more as a fan. Biggest disappointment of this gen so far for me.

The devs of Santa Monica have abandoned me.

Banned
I'd say the story is the best in GoW I, while GoW II had the overall better world (and better everything in general compared to GoW I).

Strange, world-building is what the first was all about and set up the template for rest of the series. It actually is all still part of the same world after all. 2 has many more different locales and were very memorable, but 1 set the standard in terms of world cohesiveness and organic transitions to different locales & seamless puzzle integration.

thinking about it now, in terms of difficulty:

1 >>>> 2 >>>>>>>>> 3

Doc Evils

Ballistictiger said:
Just past the Cerberus boss on Chaos that shit is exhausting. The key is to ignore the Satyr until the Cerberus is dead and yes keeping a far distance from both of them while kicking dogs and pummeling them with arrow spam.

I'm still stuck on it on Titan. :(

Top Bottom