• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Sappy113

MrPliskin said:
No, it's not. I don't think anyone has experienced any R1 issues during things like QTE's, I think it's been almost exclusively for opening chests / save points.

I've played the game 3 times through and never run into an issue with doors / QTEs / grapple points.

Even then, I have a hard time believing that you can't complete any part of the game because of it. In every event that you need to use R1, you are given TONS of time to do it (like around 15 seconds).

Really doesn't matter if I had 15 hours, since the game doesn't actually register that I'm hammering away at the R1 button. At all. Basically meaning that I can't QTE grapple (as I mentioned, an example is grappling onto Gaia's arm during the first part of the Poseidon fight - if you can't grapple onto her arm, you can't proceed in the fight = no advancing in the game, since the fight just "resets" if you don't QTE grapple).

I had the same problem in the Heart of Gaia, where you have to grapple onto that ring to swing to the other side of the room. I finally succeeded by reassigning the controller - only worked there, though. Won't work for the Poseidon-fight.

You're totally right, though, most people that had similar problems had them in regards to opening chests and, oddly, also for double-jumping. Doesn't mean a minority isn't experienced the problems I'm having, though.

I forgot to mention...
Aphrodite is pretty bangin'.
I hear you can
kill her
. Is this true? If so, I'll definitely need to do this next time I play.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Mohonky said:
The combat is just weak as piss, the combo system is basic and the combat doesn't feel anywhere near as precise or intuitive as the competition (Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry) and relies far to heavily on QTE's, forcing players to finish an opponent (especially boss encounters) via a series of QTE's it just takes the player out of the combat. It might help let the developers show off a rather dramatic or grand sort of sequence visually but as an element of gameplay it just fails. Especially instant death QTE's. Sure Bayonette had a similar problem at times but that was just it, it was only a handful of times, in God of War 3, it's far too frequent.

This game is a technical masterpiece but its just so ordinary in the combat department. Other games have just done the combat so, so much better that God of War is only enjoyable as a visual and aural experience. The game play itself just doesn't have enough to really grab me.

If you're playing GoW for the combat, you're doing it wrong etc. (as the GoW games have never aspired to have particularly complex combat), and you'd be better off with something like Bayonetta or DMC.

Can costumes be turned on during the middle of the game?

And combat in GoW3 is fine. People bitch about "square square triangle". Well, I finished Bayoneta on hard by pressing "punch x 5" as my most dominant combo. The combat is as deep as you want it to be. The room in the labryinth that kept changing enemy types to force weapons changes was brilliant.

Sappy113 said:
Was hoping someone else in here might have experienced it and figured out a work-around.
The only thing I experienced was intermittent input dropouts. I'd be holding R1 to open a chest and Kratos would just stop. Or I'd be swinging from a grapple and he would let go without my permission.

However, my solution was simple. I just switched to my other controller and all was fine. So if you're having this problem with multiple controllers, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Have you tried playing with the controller plugged in to the PS3?

Edit: Also had trouble with double-jumping. So it wasn't just my R1 that was borked.

rhino4evr

Im still working my way through the game slowly. It's pretty much impossible to read this thread now with all the spoilers in it. Gotta love that, "most of us finished it already so spoilers no longer matter", mentality. The same people that were so adament to hide boss names or weapon upgrades, are now just posting them themselves without any warning.

Ok, enough bitching.

Like I said, going through the game slowly. Only got to play for a half hour last night. I just got to
the top of the chain of balance, and see that pandora's box is in the olympic flame, the game tried to explain this, and totally failed. I hope there is a better explanation then.."Zeus is scared?" WTF

So far, nothing has come close to being as Epic as the opening level, but the boss battles have been fun. Looks like the next boss will be
Hermes
, hope he puts up more of a fight then
Helios
did.

Arsenic

PerkeyMan said:
Just wanted to say that the "song" in Hades is absolutely amazing.
Pandora's Song is the name i think. Download it on itunes :D .

My favorite track from the soundtrack is "Blood Brothers" during the 2nd phase of
Zeus
. It's a rehash of the final Boss song of GoW1 and the epic battle before the two huge statues in GoW2 (NA front cover).

1st Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VopuVG6PPtk (GOW1)

2nd Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9b8auySDBg (GOW2)

3rd Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WLFjl0fSK4 (GOW3)

Cris Velasco knows the meaning of epic. Goddamn lol.

Combichristoffersen

rhino4evr said:
So far, nothing has come close to being as Epic as the opening level, but the boss battles have been fun. Looks like the next boss will be
Hermes
, hope he puts up more of a fight then
Helios
did.

The fight against him is relatively easy, it's the chase after him that's the best part of the battle ('the chase is better than the catch').

Oh, and the 'spartans stand tall' website seems to have updated, with more rain falling down.

krae_man

I'm only having chest and Save point issues. The window for the area you have to be in and the direction you have to be looking in seems rediculiously small and that is what is causing it.

I've got used to it and have largely been able to correct it.

I've also died a couple times because a QTE didn't spawn such as:

At the end of the Chronos battle when he says "you've got what you've came for, just leave me be" right after that you're suppost to attack that thing in the middle of his cheast or whatever and it explodes and there's a QTE you have to do to not fly off to your death after the explosion. The first time I did it the QTE didn't happen, I just died. Things like that have happened a few times

Dave1988

Kos Luftar said:
I only got 3 trophies to go for platinum. Hopefully I can finish game this weekend than I can go back to get Hit-Man & aMazed trophy.

You are so wrong when it comes to QTE's. You make it sound like you can start a QTE whenever you want and kill someone. QTE is just a stylized finishing move. It takes so much work getting the QTE for a boss or regular monsters(which you can finish without QTE).

I haven't played Bayonetta and never will, but I have played Ninja Gaiden & Devil May Cry and they may have inspired the creators of God of War but God of Wars combat is so much better. The way you are able to link combos it is just amazing.

I'm sorry but you're wrong again.

jett

D-Member
Sappy113 said:
Naw, I'm talking about grappling onto something when the R1 prompt lights up on the screen. In this specific case, during different parts of the Poseidon-fight, like when you need to grapple onto Gaia's hand.

Pressing R1 in these case does not execute the grapple. It actually doesn't do anything other than leaving Kratos standing around scratching his ass :lol . I've been looking around teh interwebz to see if anyone else had the problem. It's not a really widespread thing, but some people here and there have this same problem independent of which controller they're using. Was hoping someone else in here might have experienced it and figured out a work-around.

Dude...you don't press R1 to do that. You just jump on Gaia's hand and Kratos will grab on automatically.

I think you're confusing GOW with shadow of the colossus. :p

jett

D-Member
The combat is just weak as piss, the combo system is basic and the combat doesn't feel anywhere near as precise or intuitive as the competition (Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry) and relies far to heavily on QTE's, forcing players to finish an opponent (especially boss encounters)

Oh you hypocrite you.

Raziel

and relies far to heavily on QTE's, forcing players to finish an opponent (especially boss encounters) via a series of QTE's it just takes the player out of the combat.

especially boss encounters? bosses are pretty much the only encounters youre forced to use qte's

Mohonky said:
I can't for the life of me get into this game the way the hype seems to suggest I should. On the positive side the visuals, the audio, the presentations and the sheer 'holy shit' factor of the game are off the scale. It has a sense of theater to it that next to no other game can come close to the problem with it however is all game play related.

The combat is just weak as piss, the combo system is basic and the combat doesn't feel anywhere near as precise or intuitive as the competition (Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry) and relies far to heavily on QTE's, forcing players to finish an opponent (especially boss encounters) via a series of QTE's it just takes the player out of the combat. It might help let the developers show off a rather dramatic or grand sort of sequence visually but as an element of gameplay it just fails. Especially instant death QTE's. Sure Bayonette had a similar problem at times but that was just it, it was only a handful of times, in God of War 3, it's far too frequent.

Fixed cameras: Ninja Gaiden was pretty ordinary here but at least you could manipulate it to an extent, especially when using the jump at command. Here, you're screwed. I've died way to many times because the camera would swing or because it was hard to judge where Kratos was in relation to his in screen 'depth.'

Less gameplay related, Kratos voice. It just annoys me. He maybe the God of War but god his 'I'm so fucking angry RAWRRRR' tone is grating.

This game is a technical masterpiece but its just so ordinary in the combat department. Other games have just done the combat so, so much better that God of War is only enjoyable as a visual and aural experience. The game play itself just doesn't have enough to really grab me.

Yeah, you're nonsense. You dont have to finish regular opponents with QTEs, those button prompts arent mandatory. Only the major bosses require QTEs.

raziel said:
especially boss encounters? bosses are pretty much the only encounters youre forced to use qte's
I know, this guy doesnt know what he's talking about. He cant even get his facts right.

Oozinator

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
If you're playing GoW for the combat, you're doing it wrong etc. (as the GoW games have never aspired to have particularly complex combat), and you'd be better off with something like Bayonetta or DMC.
what's the right way ? A visual and audio effects packed interactive movie ?

Arsenic

Oozinator said:
what's the right way ? A visual and audio effects packed interactive movie ?
No.
An overall experience of epicness. Music, puzzles, boss fights, combat, story, locales, art. Games like Ninja Gaiden or DMC does not provide a great balance of all of those.

cornerman

Perhaps some people are just glossing over the improvements made God of War 3. They look at the combat and overlook how crisp, fluid, and numerous the animations are. That takes time and care. They look at the graphics and assume its regular "transition" from last gen to current HD offerings. But look at how much better it is than its competition with lighting, textures, and tech; all while keeping it in-game for the principle of the thing. That takes time and care. Then add on the new features - flying, boot mechanics, more weapon depth (longer move list), blood splatter, enemy grouping, new combat move additions, huge titans (physics on physics on physics; collision on collison on collision), no game install, and realize this is their first game on PS3. How is that not impressive?

Combichristoffersen

Arsenic said:
No.
An overall experience of epicness. Music, puzzles, boss fights, combat, story, locales, art. Games like Ninja Gaiden or DMC does not provide a great balance of all of those.

Exactly. It's the combination of all those things that make the GoW games great, whereas something like the DMC series is more about letting you perform complex combos and stuff than the 'epic experience' the GoW series aim to provide.

rhino4evr

Combichristoffersen said:
Exactly. It's the combination of all those things that make the GoW games great, whereas something like the DMC series is more about letting you perform complex combos and stuff than the 'epic experience' the GoW series aim to provide.
Even if someone enjoys DMc or bayonetta, there is no reason why someone couldn't enjoy the combat of gow just as much. I do.

Combichristoffersen

rhino4evr said:
Even if someone enjoys DMc or bayonetta, there is no reason why someone couldn't enjoy the combat of gow just as much. I do.

Oh, absolutely not. I'm just saying people shouldn't play the GoW games and expect the combat to be as complex as in DMC or Bayonetta.

Well that definitely wasn't the ending I was expecting.
It was pretty surreal. I thought it was funny how Athena essentially hid the ability to see in first person in the box (yes, I know it's hope and all, shut up). I guess now whoever is still left alive will try to rebuild the world with the hope they received.
All in all, a great end to a great trilogy even if the final boss was a bit disappointing.

I also watched a few of the extras. The mo-cap one was funny.

LosDaddie

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
I love the game and it holds a place in my collection, but so far this game has been letdown of the year for me.

I'm about 7hrs in on my God playthrough and I kinda agree with you. But I think the letdown I'm feeling with this game is more due to my unrealistic expectations than anything else.

The S-Word said:
Giant Bomb always finds some minute thing to home in on with PS3 exclusives. Thats why i stopped listening to it...

It's an anti-PS3 conspiracy!! :lol :lol

Just did the New Game+ glitch and I can confirm that you can skip the
Bow of Apollo
section. Also you can skip the entire
Aphrodite/Tartarus+Cronos/Hephaestus section because you already have the raviers so you can cross the bridge and skip directly to Hera's Garden.

diddlyD

Banned
Confused101 said:
The only thing I experienced was intermittent input dropouts. I'd be holding R1 to open a chest and Kratos would just stop. Or I'd be swinging from a grapple and he would let go without my permission.

However, my solution was simple. I just switched to my other controller and all was fine. So if you're having this problem with multiple controllers, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Have you tried playing with the controller plugged in to the PS3?

Edit: Also had trouble with double-jumping. So it wasn't just my R1 that was borked.

YES, i've been bitching about this since i got the game. it is definitely not my controller. there are some input polling or some other type of bugs causing this, and it really pisses me off that such a high profile game could ship with such embarrassingly fundamental problems like this and the audio bugs.

DeadGzuz

Banned
diddlyD said:
YES, i've been bitching about this since i got the game. it is definitely not my controller. there are some input polling or some other type of bugs causing this, and it really pisses me off that such a high profile game could ship with such embarrassingly fundamental problems like this and the audio bugs.

It didn't.

diddlyD

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
It didn't.

stick your head back in the sand it will be ok. i'm still enjoying the game i bought overall, don't worry. but it's got some sloppy implementation and santa monica studios needs to be called out on it so they don't let it happen again.

nskinnear said:
So,
why the fuck is this fight in the labyrinth so difficult?

Is there a good strategy for taking out all of the enemies quickly? It just seems like they infinitely respawn, and I never have enough health by the time I get to the Minotaurs (which I know give you health).

Get them to follow you to the spikes, than Jump + right stick to fly away. Get rid of sirens first when you get to the second part.

sillik

Banned
Si after several playthroughs of all three games I can safely conclude that the whole Hercules segment us indeed the greatest boss battle in the how trilogy. You're welcome.

jmd494

If I play though on Titan mode, get lots of brutal kills and decent combos, open all the chests, and smash all the pottery, will I be able to level everything all the way up on my first playthrough?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
nskinnear said:
Yeah, I beat the first part. The last fight against the sirens, shield guys, minotaurs and wraiths is what's killing me.

What enemy is giving you the most trouble? Try to focus on them first. I didn't realize until after I beat the game already that the combat grapple rips wraiths out of the ground, those were the most annoying part of that fight to me.

ZeroRay

nskinnear said:
So,
why the fuck is this fight in the labyrinth so difficult?

Is there a good strategy for taking out all of the enemies quickly? It just seems like they infinitely respawn, and I never have enough health by the time I get to the Minotaurs (which I know give you health).

The fight under Daedalus's hanging corpse? Yeah, use the Cestus for crowd control and watch out for the Wraiths' and Sirens' special attacks. Use QTE's to finish them off as you'll get you're magic and health refilled.

This fight went way too long and the two following segments after this don't feel like they were properly tested either.

Sappy113

Confused101 said:

Yea, same problem. Thanks, though. I'll try getting my friend to bring his controller over just to triple-check. Otherwise I'll probably just keep a close eye on whether or not other people get the same problem and/or hope it's fixed in a future patch. Otherwise I guess it's just one of those things and I'll move on to other stuff - after all it's not that big a deal :).

edbrat

help me gaf!

I am trying to open
the door of hades - checked an FAQ because I could not work it out and it is just after the bit where you get the Blade Of Olympus, did first fight with that, progressed a little bit, jumped across a couple of platforms to get to the area where the door is, fired charged up arrow to burn the bramble, bramble burns and I can't open the door. According to the faq two dogs are meant to turn up but they haven't yet. I have a save point before getting to the area where the door is and I've gone back to it and reapproached the door but I still don't get the dog fight. And having burnt the bramble I can't jump back off the platform!

pls help me GAF i am just getting into this :)

So are you guys having trouble with sixaxis controllers or DualShocks? Both my controllers are sixaxis. Just so happened that one worked well and the other had those input problems. I know it may seem like a problem with the game itself, but then wouldn't everyone have this problem? It's just weird.

diddlyD

Banned
Confused101 said:
So are you guys having trouble with sixaxis controllers or DualShocks? Both my controllers are sixaxis. Just so happened that one worked well and the other had those input problems. I know it may seem like a problem with the game itself, but then wouldn't everyone have this problem? It's just weird.

yeah mine is sixaxis, and i've thought maybe it's something to do with the controller, but even if it is sixaxis only, the fact that my controller works perfectly fine with all other games means it's something wrong with this game.

Top Bottom