• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

diddlyD said:
yeah mine is sixaxis, and i've thought maybe it's something to do with the controller, but even if it is sixaxis only, the fact that my controller works perfectly fine with all other games means it's something wrong with this game.
You have a fine point there. I wonder if Santa Monica has gotten significant feedback on this issue to act quickly. Seems like it's kinda rare. :(

torontoml

edbrat said:
help me gaf!

I am trying to open
the door of hades - checked an FAQ because I could not work it out and it is just after the bit where you get the Blade Of Olympus, did first fight with that, progressed a little bit, jumped across a couple of platforms to get to the area where the door is, fired charged up arrow to burn the bramble, bramble burns and I can't open the door. According to the faq two dogs are meant to turn up but they haven't yet. I have a save point before getting to the area where the door is and I've gone back to it and reapproached the door but I still don't get the dog fight. And having burnt the bramble I can't jump back off the platform!

pls help me GAF i am just getting into this :)
They are supposed to be on the two platforms to the right and left of the door. If they aren't there, something glitched and you may have to start over.

Zeliard

rhino4evr said:
Even if someone enjoys DMc or bayonetta, there is no reason why someone couldn't enjoy the combat of gow just as much. I do.

Yeah, I don't get people saying that God of War 3's combat is poor, or inferior to the previous GoWs. I've always been firmly in the Ninja Gaiden camp when it comes to the Big Three in the genre, and while GoW III's combat doesn't approach the depth of NG/DMC3/Bayonetta, it's still fun as hell in its own right and a huge improvement over the past games.

For one thing, I don't feel like I'm just rolling through a bunch of enemy fodder anymore, swinging my daggers through what amounts to butter. That's been one of my issues with God of War. But even the lowest grunts on normal difficulty this time around take a lot more punishment than I remember them ever taking - most of them past the first couple of levels you're unable to even grab until you deliver some damage. The matchups against the tougher, non-boss enemies are particularly fantastic since God of War 3's combat as a whole just feels a lot more weighty and grounded than before.

Also, the alternate weapons are actually useful and fun to use this time around. In the past it was basically pointless to ever switch away from Kratos' default, but I use the other weapons often in the third game. I wish it were more fluid to switch between the weapons, and I have some other complaints (the roll-dodge doesn't feel as responsive as I'd like, and blocking is still almost useless), but I enjoy GoW3's combat overall far more than I ever have in the series (and at least you can switch between weapons during real-time combat, unlike say Ninja Gaiden 2).

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
pistolpete2940 said:
Have they ever explained what the red markings on Kratos' body are? I played all three games and don't have a clue...
my guess was that they were always spartan tattoos, since he had them before the ash skin. but not war paint since they never come off.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
pistolpete2940 said:
Have they ever explained what the red markings on Kratos' body are? I played all three games and don't have a clue...
I think they're just tattoos. I assume they weren't covered in ash only because they look awesome.

edbrat

torontoml said:
They are supposed to be on the two platforms to the right and left of the door. If they aren't there, something glitched and you may have to start over.

thanks will give it another go, they definitely have not appeared on those two platforms because I initially thought I had to jump up them so was all over them. Might try backtracking to another save point if possible and reapproaching, tried a number of times from my current save point. REALLY hope I don't have to restart :(

Arsenic

Justin Dailey said:
If I play though on Titan mode, get lots of brutal kills and decent combos, open all the chests, and smash all the pottery, will I be able to level everything all the way up on my first playthrough?
yes. I did on titan mode and had 13,000 spare red orbs. i didn't use a guide either.

Banned
GoW trilogy reminds me of the Godfather trilogy in terms of the first one being a brilliant film, the second expands on the story and becomes an absolute classic, and the third one, while a good film in isolation, is not a patch on the other two.

Arsenic

00011000 said:
GoW trilogy reminds me of the Godfather trilogy in terms of the first one being a brilliant film, the second expands on the story and becomes an absolute classic, and the third one, while a good film in isolation, is not a patch on the other two.
Don't diss the Godfather Part II man.

jett

D-Member
00011000 said:

More like the GOW2 totally shitfucks the story and makes an incomprehensible mess out of everything, and the third part does its best to make sense out of the nonsense.

Banned
jett said:
How about that which is most important? THE COMBAT SYSTEM, dumbass.

Isn't that to be expected from a next gen release? More system memory = many more animations, moves etc. You wouldn't expect any less than an improvement in the combat system. The devs said as much- for example, the grapple move, they wanted to implement in 2, but didn't have the system resources available on PS2 so threw it in for 3.

Again, all this is to be expected and that's why it's still a GOOD GAME, just not great, like the others.

There is no progress in thinking behind the level design. Instead, they've demonstrably went backwards in that respect.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
00011000 said:
Neither of the other two GoW games were able to hold my attention like GoW3. I could only play them for a couple hours at a time before getting bored. I finished GoW3 the day it came out, which I've never done for a game that isn't an FPS. I'm also close to getting the platinum in the shortest amount of time that it's taken me to get a platinum. I think that speaks volumes for how much better I think that GoW3 is than the other two.

Dogenzaka

Banned
LosDaddie said:
I'm about 7hrs in on my God playthrough and I kinda agree with you. But I think the letdown I'm feeling with this game is more due to my unrealistic expectations than anything else.

It's an anti-PS3 conspiracy!! :lol :lol

Well I see what you mean, but I don't think they were quite unrealistic expectations. What I had was, I saw the Poseidon fight and shamelessly assumed that, if that was just the beginning of the game, the rest of the game would be exponentially more impressive. It wasn't. :(

aristotle

Any speculation on what the new spartans stand tall website is? I just noticed it updated but I'm still at a loss as to what it could be. The official forums have tons of mind-numbing "guesses" lol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dogenzaka said:
Well I see what you mean, but I don't think they were quite unrealistic expectations. What I had was, I saw the Poseidon fight and shamelessly assumed that, if that was just the beginning of the game, the rest of the game would be exponentially more impressive. It wasn't. :(
That's true for GoW2 as well. I assumed it was going to be that way for GoW3 since I knew they were going to try to outdo the Colossus from 2. I think over all the rest of GoW3 holds up much better compared to the intro than GoW2 did.

Banned
Dave1988 said:
I'm sorry but you're wrong again.

Agreed.

I don't really see how the weapon switching is significantly better in 3 from 2. It's not like you can switch weapons mid-combo.

Overall, it's MUCH better and more versatile, but the switching? not feeling it.

Arsenic

00011000 said:
Isn't that to be expected from a next gen release? More system memory = many more animations, moves etc. You wouldn't expect any less than an improvement in the combat system. The devs said as much- for example, the grapple move, they wanted to implement in 2, but didn't have the system resources available on PS2 so threw it in for 3.

Again, all this is to be expected and that's why it's still a GOOD GAME, just not great, like the others.

There is no progress in thinking behind the level design. Instead, they've demonstrably went backwards in that respect.
GoW2 went backwards with their combat system. Yet memory wasn't an issue. I dont know but when you replace GoW1's L1+O (area specific knockback move) with a shitty fucking shitty move in GoW2 theres a problem. Thank God GoW3 fixed that.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
00011000 said:
Agreed.

I don't really see how the weapon switching is significantly better in 3 from 2. It's not like you can switch weapons mid-combo.

Overall, it's MUCH better and more versatile, but the switching? not feeling it.
You can switch weapons mid-combo with L1+X.

Dogenzaka

Banned
canova said:
too many puzzles, and they are all same old un-original puzzles

Like traveling through time to save a man from committing suicide, birthing a phoenix, sacrificing creatures on blood altars, using sunlight to melt ice, stopping a conveyer belt with human bodies, using a sewer to move a dead body around a level to open doors, etc. were "same-old", "unoriginal"?

Banned
RoboPlato said:
Neither of the other two GoW games were able to hold my attention like GoW3. I could only play them for a couple hours at a time before getting bored. I finished GoW3 the day it came out, which I've never done for a game that isn't an FPS. I'm also close to getting the platinum in the shortest amount of time that it's taken me to get a platinum. I think that speaks volumes for how much better I think that GoW3 is than the other two.

I've got platinums in all three and they were definitely easiest to get in 3. That's just me though. Came down to the Challenge rooms. They're so fucking easy in 3.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
aristotle said:
Any speculation on what the new spartans stand tall website is? I just noticed it updated but I'm still at a loss as to what it could be. The official forums have tons of mind-numbing "guesses" lol.

Either some sort of DLC for GoW III (maybe that epilogue SSM were talking about?) or a new PSP game (PSP2 launch game? :eek: ), I'd say.

Or an RTS game set in the GoW universe, specifically between GoW and GoW II, where Kratos and his spartan army conquers the land :p

Arsenic

Dogenzaka said:
Like traveling through time to save a man from committing suicide, birthing a phoenix, sacrificing creatures on blood altars, using sunlight to melt ice, stopping a conveyer belt with human bodies, using a sewer to move a dead body around a level to open doors, etc. were "same-old", "unoriginal"?
Let's be real for a second. I'm not going to try to defend GoW3's puzzles, since I only played through the game twice, but GoW2's puzzles compared to GoW'1's felt out of place. yeah the ideas were good, but most of them seemed to be just thrown in there and were incredibly simple.

Banned
NameGenerated said:
You can switch weapons mid-combo with L1+X.

yeah, i know that. It might be mid-combo, but it's not instant. Look, i'm not complaining about the combat system. It's really good; the best part of GoW3. And yeah, it might be the most important part for some. But for me, it wasn't the most important part.

Did you hear recently about the Prince of Persia dev saying lots of their players moved over to God of War? whilst it's probably not true, (more down to PoP being shit since Sands of Time; another fave game for me), you can see what he's saying. The Platforming and puzzle are soooo important. Remember how ND clearly defined Uncharted as equal parts platforming, puzzles, & combat. That's how God of War was to me. They fucked with the formula, plain and simple.

jett

D-Member
00011000 said:
Agreed.

You can actually.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Arsenic said:
Let's be real for a second. I'm not going to try to defend GoW3's puzzles, since I only played through the game twice, but GoW2's puzzles compared to GoW'1's felt out of place. yeah the ideas were good, but most of them seemed to be just thrown in there and were incredibly simple.

Yeah...no.

Jubs

00011000 said:
EVERYTHING else was stripped down to a bare minimum. Including the fan-service which is non-existent. (I mean costumes, other collectables/trinkets/costumes) You'd expect the fan-service to be astronomical in the LAST PART OF A TRILOGY!

I think you have the definition of fan-service wrong. Fan service would be T&A, which this game has. Fan service would be a sex mini-game, which the game also has. I think the word you're looking for are "extras," if you're referring to costumes and the like. And trinkets/collectibles? Godly Possessions wouldn't fall under that category?

00011000 said:
yeah, i know that. It might be mid-combo, but it's not instant. Look, i'm not complaining about the combat system. It's really good; the best part of GoW3. And yeah, it might be the most important part for some. But for me, it wasn't the most important part.
Fuck off already. Jesus.

Banned
jett said:
More like the GOW2 totally shitfucks the story and makes an incomprehensible mess out of everything, and the third part does its best to make sense out of the nonsense.

Yeah, you can say the story was set for the third, but it's totally not true. Stig could have had the battle with Zeus happen as the first battle and then have the story play out completely differently after that.

Instead, he stuck with the most predictable storyline ever. There were no surprises in it at all.

Just because it leads on directly from the 2nd one doesn't mean it has to play out exactly as you'd expect.

obaidr

Banned
Just finished thbe game and damn the end was epic and much better tben many said. This is the goty so far. I wished it was even longer :)

Banned
Jubs said:
I think you have the definition of fan-service wrong. Fan service would be T&A, which this game has. Fan service would be a sex mini-game, which the game also has. I think the word you're looking for are "extras," if you're referring to costumes and the like. And trinkets/collectibles? Godly Possessions wouldn't fall under that category?

Yeah, you're right. I'm talking about extras and goodies. Sorry about that.

jett

D-Member
00011000 said:
Sorry, I meant mid-animation. You have to wait for the cycle to end before it changes. It's OK, just not brilliant.

You can change weapons in the middle of an attack animation with the d-pad.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is there anyone here who honestly thinks God 3 is, overall, a better game than God 2?

if so, when was the last time you played God 2?

God 3 is a fun game, but God 2 is in a whole other league.

jett

D-Member
Rez said:
is there anyone here who honestly thinks God 3 is, overall, a better game than God 2?

God 3 is a fun game, but God 2 is in a whole other league.

Two weeks ago. The combat is boring as all fuck, and thus most of the game, compared to GOW3.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Rez said:

God 3 is a game, but God 2 is in a whole other league.

Rez
The best advice anyone could ever give.
(Today, 06:11 PM)

Just made a little edit to your post but yes.

Doc Evils said:
New patch is up.

Hahaha I'm sure it's to block the glitch so no thanks.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
Two weeks ago. The combat is boring as all fuck, and thus most of the game, compared to GOW3.
My memory of your tastes might be totally off here, but didn't you love god 2 not too long ago?

I have you pegged as a big God of War fan in my head for some reason.

yencid

HOOOLLY SHIT! my brother just came home with god of war in his hands... a friend of ours lent it to him... what a nice surprise :lol :lol

Banned
jett said:

One things that annoyed me no end in 3 and I don't think it happens in 2 is:

When you're fighting the golems in the second challenge, and you try to grapple an enemy, Kratos will prioritise the Golem above the "lesser" enemies and try to grapple it(which is impossible), even if the Golem is behind you.

Grapple auto-aim or something.

I never noticed anything like this in part 2 to be fair.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't see how anyone can realistically say the combat in the older games is "boring as fuck" compared to 3. Yes, 3 is the best the series has been combat wise and made a few big improvements, but the very core is still the same, and it isn't a drastic difference.

Banned
Papercuts said:
I don't see how anyone can realistically say the combat in the older games is "boring as fuck" compared to 3. Yes, 3 is the best the series has been combat wise and made a few big improvements, but the very core is still the same, and it isn't a drastic difference.

Yeah, I agree. The combat has always been fucking aces. Steadily improving with each installment.

I used to enjoy Jett's posts. But I think I hate him now.

Top Bottom