• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

yencid

Ill probably end up doing a cestus run without noticing... i loved that weapon in the demo... WEELLLLL im about to start this.. wish me luck :lol :lol

Don

Doc Evils said:
New patch is up.
Any idea what it does?

I really hope the sound issues that I was having get fixed. I've ended up going back and playing GoW 1 and 2 instead because of it.

jett

D-Member
The patch will most likely fix the "new game+" bug.

Rez said:
My memory of your tastes might be totally off here, but didn't you love god 2 not too long ago?

I have you pegged as a big God of War fan in my head for some reason.

I've always loved all the GOW games despite their shortcomings, but GOW2 felt like a chore to go through the last time(I replayed it in anticipation for GOW3), the best strategy for all battles was square square square and roll out every now and then. That's how they were all set up. There is no room for freedom or creativity. You try anything else in a higher difficulty and it will result in death and frustration. GOW1 I haven't played in years but without even the golden fleece I can only imagine it being worse. After playing the GOW3 demo a trillion times it was really hard to go back to #2. For me, it is that much of an improvement. And there were only 2 weapons available in the demo

It is pretty boring to fight stuff in GOW2 these days. And other things like the "level of epicness" is much higher for me in GOW3, or the boss battles which for are much better here. Then again I've never really liked the bosses of GOW2 much and in fact prefer the three in the first game to the 10 in GOW2.

One things that annoyed me no end in 3 and I don't think it happens in 2 is:

When you're fighting the golems in the second challenge, and you try to grapple an enemy, Kratos will prioritise the Golem above the "lesser" enemies and try to grapple it(which is impossible), even if the Golem is behind you.

Grapple auto-aim or something.

I never noticed anything like this in part 2 to be fair.

That is an issue I faced in the challenge too, but fortunately that situation never presents itself in the, you know, actual game.

And I don't give a fuck if you don't like my posts. Protip: you're not the first!

PowderedToast

as dorky as this sounds i think that this trilogy shares a lot in common with the original star wars movies. the first is rather small-scale (at least for the gow series) in terms of characters and story and it also manages to stand alone well enough if you pretend that the sequels didn't happen. then gow2, much like empire, expands and improves on everything the original did. more characters are introduced, the narrative becomes more complex, the set-pieces become tighter and more impressive, but perhaps the best parallel of all is it's ending.

the protagonist confronts the main antagonist of the series and a major plot point is revealed (that the protagonist is the son of the antagonist). they battle but neither of the characters die and one escapes, setting up a sequel that promises to even more grand and epic.

then after much anticipation, we get gow3. which like jedi, has the most impressive effects and presentation of the series. yet despite being a very good installment, it never quite manages to recreate the magic of it's predecessor, be it due to set-pieces/character moments or what have you.

/end meaningless dork rant

now tbh i can't really place that much blame on stig or the rest of the team. as good as gow2 is, it's ending really is quite a bitch to follow up. they didn't have nearly the same amount of creative freedom as barlog did with 2, and all things considered i think they did a terrific job with what they had. gow3 is a technical masterpiece and a fine send off for the series, but one can't help but imagine what it could've been if things had been a little different.

sillik

Banned
Rez said:
is there anyone here who honestly thinks God 3 is, overall, a better game than God 2?

if so, when was the last time you played God 2?

God 3 is a fun game, but God 2 is in a whole other league.

yeah i replayed gow 2 through the collection just recently and i think i prefer gow 3 on pretty much every level. Obviously in terms of graphics and sound, but some things that i personally think levers gow 3 ahead of the rest:

The whole "epic scale" thing might sound like a box bullet point, but i think this is the first gow that truly does justice to the grand scale of all the different creatures and deities of the Greek mythology. The locations might not be as ambitious as the more prominent sections of gow2, but it just feels much more grand, much more convincing in GOW3. Hades has never looked this convincing before gow 3.

The cast of characters is diverse, rich in character, and alot more compelling then the cast of the previous games. Hercules is my personal highlight. The way they are designed, portrayed, animated and voiced makes this the best cast of greek gods and demi gods in the series.

The fact that this is the first gow where i actually bother to master the additional weaponry tells me the actual gameplay has evolved well beyond the offerings of the previous games. I agree that the puzzles sort of took a step backwards but since the combat is alot more enjoyable this time around, it kind of balances out.

I love gow 3 for so many reasons, but the main reason is how well the game flirts with the mythology, even more then the previous games. Eventhough the game is loosely based on the actual mythology, with regards to Kratos, it manages to strike a perfect balance between being canon and staying faithful to the mythology. For the people not feeling the ending, i suggest looking up some of the theme's on wikipedia, and realize how close GOW 3 stays to the actual mytholoy.

edit: holy shit, this post got butchered by that last glass of red wine :eek:

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
*shrug*

God 2 just felt a lot more consistent to me. I've never played God of War games on anything above Normal, so the combat has always been a means to an ends. God 2 just had more original, interesting settings and scenarios, whereas God 3 feels like it's just returning to the well repeatedly.

Granted, it did have some very cool 'ho-a-ly shit' moments throughout, but that's the thing: they were these moments that I think about as a separate, isolated parts of the game, rather than as one giant, well-laid out incline that IS the game, ala God 2.

Zeliard

Thagomizer said:
It sounds stupid on paper, but it just works.

I found Poseidon's horse-crab design to be pretty evocative and memorable, as enemy designs go. And it also felt like a "how's this, fuckers?" to the giant enemy crab cliche in videogames. :p

Rez said:
is there anyone here who honestly thinks God 3 is, overall, a better game than God 2?

GoW 3 is monumentally better than GoW 2. Using Hermes boots/air dash, Helios stare and Bow is pretty fun and the fact that it has its own refil-o-meter makes it reusable. See those scorpion bugs in the cave? light one up using your bow and they all catch fire. Dash through grunts with your boots, grapple and attack them in mid-air for a total knockout kill. Use medusa's death flash to kill other enemies.

I enjoyed
the Labyrinth section 10 times more than the Clotho's gauntlet
in GoW 2. Clotho's gauntlet was simply throw all the enemies at you.
In Labyrinth if you're smart, you'll use your cestus to knock bitches on the spikes. And focus on the screamers.
Best of all, I enjoyed it more because the combat is better, and I don't get hung up on mid-animation split second weapon change bullshit.
Rez said:
*shrug*

God 2 just felt a lot more consistent to me. I've never played God of War games on anything above Normal, so the combat has always been a means to an ends. God 2 just had more original, interesting settings and scenarios, whereas God 3 feels like it's just returning to the well repeatedly.
There's yer problem :D

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
00011000 said:
Isn't that to be expected from a next gen release? More system memory = many more animations, moves etc. You wouldn't expect any less than an improvement in the combat system. The devs said as much- for example, the grapple move, they wanted to implement in 2, but didn't have the system resources available on PS2 so threw it in for 3.

Again, all this is to be expected and that's why it's still a GOOD GAME, just not great, like the others.

There is no progress in thinking behind the level design. Instead, they've demonstrably went backwards in that respect.

Yea thats not true.

Future

00011000 said:
yeah, i know that. It might be mid-combo, but it's not instant. Look, i'm not complaining about the combat system. It's really good; the best part of GoW3. And yeah, it might be the most important part for some. But for me, it wasn't the most important part.

Why do people say this. Using the d-pad, switching is instant. Using L1+X, switching is instant. It does not wait till the end of the move ever except on a few finishers here and there

The only other time it isnt instant is during other special moves, where you cant roll or block cancel either. Are you spamming L1 special moves?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sillik said:
The cast of characters is diverse, rich, and alot more compelling then the cast of the previous games. Hercules is my personal highlight. The way they are designed, portrayed, animated and voiced makes this the best cast of greek gods and demi gods in the series.

The fact that this is the first gow where i actually bother to master the additional weaponry tells me the actual gameplay has evolved well beyond the offerings of the previous games. I agree that the puzzles sort of took a step backwards but since the combat is alot more enjoyable this time around, it kind of balances out.

I love gow 3 for so many reasons, but the main reason is how well the game flirts with the mythology, even more then the previous games. Eventhough the game is loosely based on the actual mythology, with regards to Kratos, it manages to strike a perfect balance between being canon and staying faithful to the mythology. For the people not feeling the ending, i suggest looking up some of the theme's on wikipedia, and realize how close GOW 3 stays to the actual mytholoy.
see, without being an annoying dude who harps on about one thing repeatedly (so I'll keep this short), most everything you mention here are like... er... ornamentation, I guess. They're all cool little bits of flavour that are all part of God of War, but they're not what I especially remember when I think back on the game.

I guess we just look for different things in the game.

God 2 felt like an effortless next step to the God of War formula. God 3 felt like an awkward side-step. They had to make a whole game out of a premises that would have been a single-level in God of War 3, while, paradoxically, doing things that would have taken a whole game to do before (kill a God) in seconds, thus dampening their impact. It's just all a bit awkward when I look back on it.

It's interesting to talk about, though, that much is true. Keep in mind this is essentially a step-above nit-picking. I really liked the game, I'm just trying to articulate what made God 2 so great in comparison to 3. These posts are as much love letters to God 2 as they are letterbombs directed at God 3. I only reentered this conversation when God 2's quality started coming into question. :)

Rez said:

The combat in 3 actually surpasses the 'variety, epic exploration, green swamps' thingie of 2. Playing in the hardest difficulties (Spartan and Titan), there is always this trial and error gameplay. In certain moments it's always best to do for example a magic or a grab move. The Blades of Athena is always the best choice and rolling like a madman is comical. It's shallow, a trait that is associated with GoW gameplay, when compared to other combat games.

GoW3 on Chaos doesn't have that. Although GoW3 core gameplay is basically the same, it's is much more refined, interesting and deep in terms of the new items and weapons. I can kill most bosses in different ways. Atm I am dancing with Cerberus and the two Satyrs. I can use the Cestus flanking the Cerberus, why? Because Kratos lunges forward faster and further with the Cestus then both the Claws and the Blades, he evades the hounds simply by attacking. If you take Cerberus head on he will attack. If I feel Cerberus is going to attack I'll have choice, I can evade, or do the jump and evade(Icarus wings) depending on my position or block if I am cornered. When there are too many hounds around I can switch to the Whip and do a earial combo, hounds explode and I can land safely or use Icarus to escape. I can use the boots of Hermes to pwn 3 hounds in a row, shoot them from afar with the bow and it all looks awesome. It is basically a whole new game.

Also, I feel Gow3 has the best set off bossfights, which to me is primarily what I remember a GoW game for.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
GoW 3 has better combat, better graphics and HD tits. Most everything else was better in GoW 2 IMO.

Anyway, no word on what the patch does? And is it US only, or Europe too?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Omotesando said:
Also, I feel Gow3 has the best set off bossfights, which to me is primarily what I remember a GoW game for.

I feel it had the best in the series at times(
Hades and Hercules
) and the worst at others(
Mechanically, the Scorpion was just shitty as hell and is not what I want to fight in the climax of the series where I should be fighting another full fledged god. Even though I seem to be in the minority here, everything that wasn't graphics related about the Cronos fight was completely moronic to me.
).

But yeah, the game gives you a lot more legitimate options to tackle combat now.

First off, we'd like to thank the fans and media for the incredible reception that God of War III has received. As you may be aware, some customers have had issues with their wireless controllers while playing God of War III. In some cases this has resulted in difficulty opening chests (holding down R1) or jumping/gliding (holding down X). The problem has occurred randomly in environments where there are multiple Wi-Fi devices within range of the PlayStation 3. It is not an issue with the PS3 system, but an issue with reading data coming from the wireless controller. We take a great deal of pride in the smooth responsiveness of God of War III, therefore I’m pleased to report that we’ve taken appropriate steps to fix this problem. We've released a minor patch today in North America and Europe to address this issue and we will follow up with the same patch early next week for our customers in Japan, Korea, and Asia. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you again for continuing to support God of War.

http://forums.godofwar.com/t5/God-of-War-III-Discussion/God-of-War-Patch/td-p/44517

Papercuts said:
I feel it had the best in the series at times(
Hades and Hercules
) and the worst at others(
Mechanically, the Scorpion was just shitty as hell and is not what I want to fight in the climax of the series where I should be fighting another full fledged god. Even though I seem to be in the minority here, everything that wasn't graphics related about the Cronos fight was completely moronic to me.
).

But yeah, the game gives you a lot more legitimate options to tackle combat now.

I disagree with the scorpion. I thought that was an awesome fight.
What's not to like shattering insect legs with giant metal gloves
. I actually took him down in 3 tries on Titan, took me 45 minutes on Chaos, which also took me to kill Hades...so I don't think he is 'frustratingly hard'.

Chronos is just a beautiful choreographed fight, I don't see it as a 'technical fight'. The acrobatics,
the skeleton cyclops, the bowels pouring out and when he begs for Kratos to leave him alone, while he was cocky before just have me feel sorry for him.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Omotesando said:
The combat in 3 actually surpasses the 'variety, epic exploration, green swamps' thingie of 2. Playing in the hardest difficulties (Spartan and Titan), there is always this trial and error gameplay. In certain moments it's always best to do for example a magic or a grab move. The Blades of Athena is always the best choice and rolling like a madman is comical. It's shallow, a trait that is associated with GoW gameplay, when compared to other combat games.

GoW3 on Chaos doesn't have that. Although GoW3 core gameplay is basically the same, it's is much more refined, interesting and deep in terms of the new items and weapons. I can kill most bosses in different ways. Atm I am dancing with Cerberus and the two Satyrs. I can use the Cestus flanking the Cerberus, why? Because Kratos lunges forward faster and further with the Cestus then both the Claws and the Blades, he evades the hounds simply by attacking. If you take Cerberus head on he will attack. If I feel Cerberus is going to attack I'll have choice, I can evade, or do the jump and evade(Icarus wings) depending on my position or block if I am cornered. When there are too many hounds around I can switch to the Whip and do a earial combo, hounds explode and I can land safely or use Icarus to escape. I can use the boots of Hermes to pwn 3 hounds in a row, shoot them from afar with the bow and it all looks awesome. It is basically a whole new game.

yeah, I guess if that's the reason you're playing the game, I can see where you're coming from.

To me, I get my actual 'deep action combat character action third-person combat action game game combat' hit from other games, so God of War is really more of an action-adventure in my mind, in the same category as an Uncharted or something, as opposed to something like a Bayonetta.

I'm in God of War for the adventure, whereas I get my deep, complicated combat fix from games that are particularly designed to accommodate and reward me for playing that way. The reward I get from God of War isn't from getting a high-score or something (you can't even get a high score in the campaign, I know), it's from seeing the next moment. The game is designed in such a way to suggest to me that the experience isn't actually about the combat. The base experience would probably be near identical to me if the combat was replaced with stop and pop shooting segments, you know?

What do I lose if I win the game on easy vs normal ?

The boss at the end of the caverns kicked my ass one too many times, so I dropped it down a notch. Then it seemed almost too easy. Now I feel shitty for wimping out since I got that far on normal. I've played a little past that part, but have thought of reloading an earlier save and trying again. I'm just not that good. I have 10 tries for every one time I actually got close to killing it. The tartarus pits level took me at least 50 deaths.

And how much longer do I have to go ? I take it
the labyrinth and zeus battle
is the finale ?

Papercuts

Omotesando said:
I disagree with the scorpion. I thought that was an awesome fight. What's not to like shattering insect legs with giant metal gloves. I actually took him down in 3 tries on Titan, took me 45 minutes on Chaos, which also took me to kill Hades...so I don't think he is 'frustratingly hard'.

Chronos is just a beautiful choreographed fight, I don't see it as a 'technical fight'. The acrobatics, the skeleton cyclops, the bowels pouring out and when he begs for Kratos to leave him alone, while he was cocky before just have me feel sorry for him.

On my first play(titan), I never really had trouble at all in the game. The worst was probably Hades, which wasn't even bad, I got him on my third try. Until the scorpion, who I constantly got hit by because of dumb shit like getting stuck on the leg. I think the fight would've been a lot better if the onyx was just on the top, not the legs, because using the cestus on them means you lunge into them, meaning it's not hard to end up behind the legs which is really bad when the tail attack is coming. It's the part of the game I died the most on, and I never felt it was because the boss itself was hard, because it really isn't. I know there's stuff like spamming magic to get past attacks, but there should never be a moment I -HAVE- to do that because kratos isn't rolling out of the legs.

As for Cronos, that's true, but I mean beyond the fight I just hated a lot of it, mainly the dialogue. Stuff like kratos stabbing his hand with the blade of olympus--he looks right at you as he raises the other hand yet says "Where did you go?!?". completely took me out of the moment. This along with his final lines calling kratos a coward for killing his own kin when that is the very same thing Cronos is known for. If they tried to convey irony there, it only instead made him seem like a gigantic idiot. They also could have atleast make it seem more like a fight, stuff like his hand hitting into his arm so you rip off his fingernail would've been better as an actual attack, I was literally trying to get hit by it on my second play and I just don't think it's possible, it hits just outside the area Kratos is in. I just felt no satisfaction for slaying a Titan after the fact, because all I felt like I did was fight super sized mental retard.

Doc Evils

Just finished the game
The first person part got me by surprise

Wow what a way to end the saga. I wonder what SMS will do next to top this.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
the combat in 2 was very schizophrenic..so i got all these awesome new moves..but too bad the game only seems to have two types of enemies...big enemies that cant be launched or comboed..and little enemies who either block everything or don't respond to being hit and just loooove jumping through your attacks with their little 'shiny' attacks...oh yes i really feel like a god killer whenever a little peon interrupts my godly blades of dooming awesomeness with their little rusty knife..3 still has that to a certain extent but its much less irritating then 2

jett

D-Member
For the aMAZEd trophy, I can use the savepoints and reload from there, right? ...I don't have to do the entire labyrinth at once, do I?

dralla said:
just realized something..how come kratos doesn't get blinded by the helios head? :lol

He never looks directly at it, and surely he closes his eyes during the special move. :p

Cruzader

Banned
jett said:
For the aMAZEd trophy, I can use the savepoints and reload from there, right? ...I don't have to do the entire labyrinth at once, do I?

He never looks directly at it, and surely he closes his eyes during the special move. :p

Yes you can save while doing it and reload if you mess up, just dont hit retry!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
jett said:

Yeah you can use manual saves, thank god

Papercuts said:
On my first play(titan), I never really had trouble at all in the game. The worst was probably Hades, which wasn't even bad, I got him on my third try. Until the scorpion, who I constantly got hit by because of dumb shit like getting stuck on the leg. I think the fight would've been a lot better if the onyx was just on the top, not the legs, because using the cestus on them means you lunge into them, meaning it's not hard to end up behind the legs which is really bad when the tail attack is coming. It's the part of the game I died the most on, and I never felt it was because the boss itself was hard, because it really isn't. I know there's stuff like spamming magic to get past attacks, but there should never be a moment I -HAVE- to do that because kratos isn't rolling out of the legs.

As for Cronos, that's true, but I mean beyond the fight I just hated a lot of it, mainly the dialogue. Stuff like kratos stabbing his hand with the blade of olympus--he looks right at you as he raises the other hand yet says "Where did you go?!?". completely took me out of the moment. This along with his final lines calling kratos a coward for killing his own kin when that is the very same thing Cronos is known for. If they tried to convey irony there, it only instead made him seem like a gigantic idiot. They also could have atleast make it seem more like a fight, stuff like his hand hitting into his arm so you rip off his fingernail would've been better as an actual attack, I was literally trying to get hit by it on my second play and I just don't think it's possible, it hits just outside the area Kratos is in. I just felt no satisfaction for slaying a Titan after the fact, because all I felt like I did was fight super sized mental retard.

I rarely got stuck on the legs, when I did got stuck I always feel I was being careless. I use jump, then (L1+square), you don't have the lunging problem, hit two legs simultaneously and you can do it up to three or four times per jump when you're lucky. I ignore the smaller scorpions or when I feel they pose a danger I'll Icarus wing away or smash them with L1+triangle from midair.

Could do with the one-liners of Chronos, but man that fight was always 60fps, just like the leviathan fight. Simply amazing aesthetically.

Rez said:
yeah, I guess if that's the reason you're playing the game, I can see where you're coming from.

To me, I get my actual 'deep action combat character action third-person combat action game game combat' hit from other games, so God of War is really more of an action-adventure in my mind, in the same category as an Uncharted or something, as opposed to something like a Bayonetta.

I'm in God of War for the adventure, whereas I get my deep, complicated combat fix from games that are particularly designed to accommodate and reward me for playing that way. The reward I get from God of War isn't from getting a high-score or something (you can't even get a high score in the campaign, I know), it's from seeing the next moment. The game is designed in such a way to suggest to me that the experience isn't actually about the combat. The base experience would probably be near identical to me if the combat was replaced with stop and pop shooting segments, you know?

Know what you mean, Gow3 is a total package with emphasis on whatever depending on personal taste. Gow3 was definately weaker in terms of 'Uncharted adventureness' than GoW2, but to me the motion blur, 60 fps hercules wrestle match alone outweighs that, with the lightning and rain and awesome music and all that.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
What's the trophy at the top of the trophy list in GoW 3? It seems to be a hidden silver trophy, but I can't for the life of me find out what trophy it's supposed to be :| I know the bottom one is aMAZEd, but I can't find out what the first trophy is -_-

Greg

Combichristoffersen said:
What's the trophy at the top of the trophy list in GoW 3? It seems to be a hidden silver trophy, but I can't for the life of me find out what trophy it's supposed to be :| I know the bottom one is aMAZEd, but I can't find out what the first trophy is -_-
The platinum?

Platinum?

Papercuts

Omotesando said:
I rarely got stuck on the legs, when I did got stuck I always feel I was being careless. I use jump, then (L1+square), you don't have the lunging problem, hit two legs simultaneously and you can do it up to three or four times per jump when you're lucky. I ignore the smaller scorpions or when I feel they pose a danger I'll Icarus wing away or smash them with L1+triangle from midair.

Could do with the one-liners of Chronos, but man that fight was always 60fps, just like the leviathan fight. Simply amazing aesthetically.

I never really had luck doing that in midair, the other scorpions usually ripped me apart after that. I tried countering immediately when I hit the ground but never had much luck, so I stayed on the ground for it. Either way, it was just a really annoying boss to me, along with the fact it's a random giant scorpion and the last boss before Zeus, it doesn't seem very fitting.

Osietra said:
I just hope that theres a patch fixing the ng+ bug.

Why? The game should have it + it doesn't even affect anyone, hope they keep it.

Papercuts

Rez said:
ng+ bug!?

Go into the combat arena and choose a high difficulty, then get killed a few times. It'll ask you to go to easy, choose no and return to title screen. Start New Game on any difficulty and voila: You have all 4 weapons all maxed out from the beginning.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Papercuts said:
Go into the combat arena and choose a high difficulty, then get killed a few times. It'll ask you to go to easy, choose no and return to title screen. Start New Game on any difficulty and voila: You have all 4 weapons all maxed out from the beginning.
neat.

looks like I'll be playing through the game again in the very near future.

Baha

The 1st trophy in the list for any game you play is the Platinum iirc.

Top Bottom