• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
00011000 said:
Strange, world-building is what the first was all about and set up the template for rest of the series. It actually is all still part of the same world after all. 2 has many more different locales and were very memorable, but 1 set the standard in terms of world cohesiveness and organic transitions to different locales & seamless puzzle integration.

thinking about it now, in terms of difficulty:

1 >>>> 2 >>>>>>>>> 3

1 built the world, but 2 took the world and improved it by making it larger, more impressive, more epic, more varied and more interesting than it was in 1.

And yeah, 3 was by far the easiest game in the trilogy, with 1 being the hardest.

Lord Error said:
How dumb they have to be to not realize that they did that precisely so you don't have to look at what symbol is on the QT event, but just press the button that's physically on that same side of the front buttons group when you catch its appearance in your peripheral vision?
Giant Bomb always finds some minute thing to home in on with PS3 exclusives. Thats why i stopped listening to it...

jred2k

I can understand being disapointed by the puzzle elements of the game, but I don't know how anyone could feel like the combat wasn't improved. To me every enemy encounter felt like I could add a ton of variety to it.

Sidzed2

00011000 said:
But what did 3 improve over 2 other than the things that are to be expected from a transition to HD? We have HD this, HD that, 5.1, more weapons. That's about it. EVERYTHING else was stripped down to a bare minimum. Including the fan-service which is non-existent. (I mean costumes, other collectables/trinkets/costumes) You'd expect the fan-service to be astronomical in the LAST PART OF A TRILOGY!

I've actually slept on it and still feel the same. GoW3 is a terrible, terrible send-off for Kratos. I demand more as a fan. Biggest disappointment of this gen so far for me.

The devs of Santa Monica have abandoned me.

Mountains from molehills, dude...

Doc Evils said:
I'm still stuck on it on Titan. :(

Use Cestus and punch his back legs and shift left to right with right analog stick so the dogs follow you and explode near the cerebus.

When you take 1 head off, change to Hades claws and make sure you selected the gorgon soul and summon it to freeze the satyr, then a couple of hits it will die. Use same procedure on cerebus as before.

When you take the 2nd head off, kill a satyr with the same way as before. You will have one satyr left. If you can use the blade of olympus do so and attack the cerebus, continue attacking cerebus with whatever weapon (cestus preferably) until you take it's last head off.

Finish off the last satyr with regular attacks and grabbing it when you can with circle. Usually on the second circle prompt you will take it's weapon and stab it in the face.

this is what i did. hope it helps.

Combichristoffersen said:
1 built the world, but 2 took the world and improved it by making it larger, more impressive, more epic, more varied and more interesting than it was in 1.

And yeah, 3 was by far the easiest game in the trilogy, with 1 being the hardest.

you only this 1 is harder because when you played it you were younger and didn't know how to play games as well.

i played collection, than god of war 3 and i think god of war 3 is harder. maybe i'm just getting old
(22)
and now i cannot play games as well.

I must be going crazy, maybe someone can resurrect an old GOW2 thread. But when that game came out, I seem to remember there being quite a few people griping about it compared to 1 and now it seems like it has become the greatest game ever made or something. Anyway, I love all 3 games and can't really say what one is my favorite.

Combichristoffersen

Kos Luftar said:
[
you only this 1 is harder because when you played it you were younger and didn't know how to play games as well.

i played collection, than god of war 3 and i think god of war 3 is harder. maybe i'm just getting old
(22)

..I didn't play GoW 1 until 2007, when I was 23, so I wasn't really 'young' when I first played it :p I recently played through the GoW Collection again as a warm-up for GoW 3, and I still find GoW 1 to be the hardest game of the trilogy, with 3 being the easiest, and 2 hitting the sweet spot inbetween.

Doc Evils

Kos Luftar said:
Use Cestus and punch his back legs and shift left to right with right analog stick so the dogs follow you and explode near the cerebus.

When you take 1 head off, change to Hades claws and make sure you selected the gorgon soul and summon it to freeze the satyr, then a couple of hits it will die. Use same procedure on cerebus as before.

When you take the 2nd head off, kill a satyr with the same way as before. You will have one satyr left. If you can use the blade of olympus do so and attack the cerebus, continue attacking cerebus with whatever weapon (cestus preferably) until you take it's last head off.

Finish off the last satyr with regular attacks and grabbing it when you can with circle. Usually on the second circle prompt you will take it's weapon and stab it in the face.

this is what i did. hope it helps.

(22)

Thanks I'll give that a go.

Dave1988

KingGondo said:
All three games are amazing, and they all have different things going for them.

Don't know why this has to be an adversarial thing.

No. Only two games in the GoW franchise are excellent. The remaining one is a steaming pile of shit.

Combichristoffersen said:
..I didn't play GoW 1 until 2007, when I was 23, so I wasn't really 'young' when I first played it :p I recently played through the GoW Collection again as a warm-up for GoW 3, and I still find GoW 1 to be the hardest game of the trilogy, with 3 being the easiest, and 2 hitting the sweet spot inbetween.

clearly god of war 1, & 2 trained you so you could own 3. maybe you are playing on easy mode. maybe i'm just really bad at god of war 3 but i am on the last stage of the zeus fight and i haven't checked stats lately but i probably have 200 deaths and no they are not from double jumping, they are all from boss fights + labyrinth.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
00011000 said:
Biggest disappointment of this gen so far for me.

8xj3aa.gif

In regards to the difficulty, I find the games ranked as follows: God of War 2 -> God of War 3 ~ God of War -> God of War: Chains of Olympus. First time I played a God of War game was around the middle of last year. After seeing the GoW3 trailer, I decided to pick up the PS2 titles. Once I was familiar with the combat, GoW wasn't particularly hard at all. On the rare occasion there was a difficult part, but overall the challenge was enjoyable. Likewise for GoW3 thus far (I've just beaten
Hercules
). GoW2 on the other hand, kicked my fucking arse something fierce. CoO, which I played soon after GoW2, didn't seem difficult at all.

Started and finished all on Hard (well, except GoW3, which I'm still busy with, obviously).

Combichristoffersen

Kos Luftar said:
clearly god of war 1, & 2 trained you so you could own 3. maybe you are playing on easy mode. maybe i'm just really bad at god of war 3 but i am on the last stage of the zeus fight and i haven't checked stats lately but i probably have 200 deaths and no they are not from double jumping, they are all from boss fights + labyrinth.

I played all three on normal, and I actually found the combat in GoW 3 to be easier than in GoW 1 and 2 (GoW 3's combat was also better, for that matter). The only part of GoW 3 I found hard was the first fight against Zeus (the '2.5D' one), so I'd say GoW 3 is an overall easier game than GoW 1 and 2 (when comparing the normal difficulties of all three games to each other).

Edit: One of the reasons for GoW 3 being so easy is that the gorgon eyes and phoenix feathers are overall much easier to find than in GoW 1 and 2.

Spectral Glider said:
I must be going crazy, maybe someone can resurrect an old GOW2 thread. But when that game came out, I seem to remember there being quite a few people griping about it compared to 1 and now it seems like it has become the greatest game ever made or something. Anyway, I love all 3 games and can't really say what one is my favorite.
I played the games a while after they came out, and while I never participated in any threads here on GAF I always found the original (while good) to be hopelessly overrated, at least by the gaming press. That was my feeling even before I touched the second one. God of War 2 felt like the actual fulfillment of the first game's potential. From my play through with this one so far my impression is that it excels in terms of pure spectacle and fluid mechanics, but the level designs aren't as deep as those of its predecessor. For all the incredible attention to detail in some of the environments it's hard not to wish that there were more excuses to linger around them for a while rather than steamroll through with minimal interaction. Exploration just isn't this game's forte. It has nothing to do with nostalgia or some arbitrary cycle of how opinions are formed.

At the same time, there are a few people who are definitely laying it on a little thick. Sure, there are some facets of the gameplay that could have been pushed further, but what's there is still pretty fucking impressive. It also seems like people are taking the production values for granted. I mean, we all knew they were going to be good, but... they're really fucking good. They could have done less and totally gotten away with it, but the execution is incredibly lavish, even considering the pedigree of the franchise. The way some people are going on you'd think it was an abject failure because of a handful of missteps. I think it's pretty great overall, albeit with a few reservations.

jett

D-Member
00011000 said:
But what did 3 improve over 2 other than the things that are to be expected from a transition to HD? We have HD this, HD that, 5.1, more weapons. That's about it. EVERYTHING else was stripped down to a bare minimum. Including the fan-service which is non-existent. (I mean costumes, other collectables/trinkets/costumes) You'd expect the fan-service to be astronomical in the LAST PART OF A TRILOGY!

I've actually slept on it and still feel the same. GoW3 is a terrible, terrible send-off for Kratos. I demand more as a fan. Biggest disappointment of this gen so far for me.

The devs of Santa Monica have abandoned me.

How about that which is most important? THE COMBAT SYSTEM, dumbass.

Completed it on Titan mode and loved it

Going to replay for the plat trophy but 2 questions.

1) the 1000 hit combo trophy, can i do that in the combat arena or does it have to be done in the main game?

2) whats the very last trophy on the psn list for which is hidden with ???

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
catashtrophe said:
Completed it on Titan mode and loved it

Going to replay for the plat trophy but 2 questions.

1) the 1000 hit combo trophy, can i do that in the combat arena or does it have to be done in the main game?

2) whats the very last trophy on the psn list for which is hidden with ???
1. Has to be done in the main game.
Go to the Pit of Tartarus and spam L1+O with the Claws of Hades on the first set of enemies
It's called aMAZEd. You need to play through the entire Labrynth without dying.

Tideas

Banned
Guys...when someone make a post, "I hte this game," "biggest disappointment ever"

There's no point to try to convince them otherwise. Just say, "okay thanks for yuor OPINION."

And move on.

jett

D-Member
RoboPlato said:
Go to the Pit of Tartarus and spam L1+O with the Claws of Hades on the first set of enemies

LOL, I thought it was without getting hit. Thank god, I tried doing a run yesterday and I was thinking how the fuck?

RoboPlato said:

Thanks as for number 2

do you mean
the garden labyrinth or the one in the huge crate where you find pandora and you fight loads of enemies and spikes come up from the ground and it turns upside down

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jett said:
LOL, I thought it was without getting hit. Thank god, I tried doing a run yesterday and I was thinking how the fuck?
Oh god that would be awful. I actually got it without explicitly going for it and it was only my second time going through that section on God. I expected it to be a really bad one.

catashtrophe said:
Thanks as for number 2

do you mean
the garden labyrinth or the one in the huge crate where you find pandora and you fight loads of enemies and spikes come up from the ground and it turns upside down
The one with Pandora. Neither Kratos or her can die.

Ezio

Just watched the Unearthing the Legend Documentary and it does a lot (I think) to explain the various aspects of Greek tragedy and it, at least for me helped me understand Kratos a little better.

Phatcorns

I still have an Apollo code that I'm willing to trade for. Any of the other downloadable skins is good. Send me a PM if interested.

Mohonky

I can't for the life of me get into this game the way the hype seems to suggest I should. On the positive side the visuals, the audio, the presentations and the sheer 'holy shit' factor of the game are off the scale. It has a sense of theater to it that next to no other game can come close to the problem with it however is all game play related.

The combat is just weak as piss, the combo system is basic and the combat doesn't feel anywhere near as precise or intuitive as the competition (Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry) and relies far to heavily on QTE's, forcing players to finish an opponent (especially boss encounters) via a series of QTE's it just takes the player out of the combat. It might help let the developers show off a rather dramatic or grand sort of sequence visually but as an element of gameplay it just fails. Especially instant death QTE's. Sure Bayonette had a similar problem at times but that was just it, it was only a handful of times, in God of War 3, it's far too frequent.

Fixed cameras: Ninja Gaiden was pretty ordinary here but at least you could manipulate it to an extent, especially when using the jump at command. Here, you're screwed. I've died way to many times because the camera would swing or because it was hard to judge where Kratos was in relation to his in screen 'depth.'

Less gameplay related, Kratos voice. It just annoys me. He maybe the God of War but god his 'I'm so fucking angry RAWRRRR' tone is grating.

This game is a technical masterpiece but its just so ordinary in the combat department. Other games have just done the combat so, so much better that God of War is only enjoyable as a visual and aural experience. The game play itself just doesn't have enough to really grab me.

I only got 3 trophies to go for platinum. Hopefully I can finish game this weekend than I can go back to get Hit-Man & aMazed trophy.

Mohonky said:

The combat is just weak as piss, the combo system is basic and the combat doesn't feel anywhere near as precise or intuitive as the competition (Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry) and relies far to heavily on QTE's, forcing players to finish an opponent (especially boss encounters) via a series of QTE's it just takes the player out of the combat. It might help let the developers show off a rather dramatic or grand sort of sequence visually but as an element of gameplay it just fails. Especially instant death QTE's. Sure Bayonette had a similar problem at times but that was just it, it was only a handful of times, in God of War 3, it's far too frequent. ...

You are so wrong when it comes to QTE's. You make it sound like you can start a QTE whenever you want and kill someone. QTE is just a stylized finishing move. It takes so much work getting the QTE for a boss or regular monsters(which you can finish without QTE).

I haven't played Bayonetta and never will, but I have played Ninja Gaiden & Devil May Cry and they may have inspired the creators of God of War but God of Wars combat is so much better. The way you are able to link combos it is just amazing.

MrPliskin

Banned
Mohonky said:
I can't for the life of me get into this game the way the hype seems to suggest I should. On the positive side the visuals, the audio, the presentations and the sheer 'holy shit' factor of the game are off the scale. It has a sense of theater to it that next to no other game can come close to the problem with it however is all game play related.

The combat is just weak as piss, the combo system is basic and the combat doesn't feel anywhere near as precise or intuitive as the competition (Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry) and relies far to heavily on QTE's, forcing players to finish an opponent (especially boss encounters) via a series of QTE's it just takes the player out of the combat. It might help let the developers show off a rather dramatic or grand sort of sequence visually but as an element of gameplay it just fails. Especially instant death QTE's. Sure Bayonette had a similar problem at times but that was just it, it was only a handful of times, in God of War 3, it's far too frequent.

Fixed cameras: Ninja Gaiden was pretty ordinary here but at least you could manipulate it to an extent, especially when using the jump at command. Here, you're screwed. I've died way to many times because the camera would swing or because it was hard to judge where Kratos was in relation to his in screen 'depth.'

Less gameplay related, Kratos voice. It just annoys me. He maybe the God of War but god his 'I'm so fucking angry RAWRRRR' tone is grating.

This game is a technical masterpiece but its just so ordinary in the combat department. Other games have just done the combat so, so much better that God of War is only enjoyable as a visual and aural experience. The game play itself just doesn't have enough to really grab me.

I can understand gripes and tears about the combat system not being "hardcore" enough for the "elite" but really, are you shitting on the camera?

You go into arena after arena, and the camera is ALWAYS placed in one spot. Stay in the fucking arena maybe? Maybe it's not the camera, maybe it's just...you? Pretty sure that's it.

Sappy113

Sooo... I'm having the same R1/grapple problem that the other guy had way back in the thread. Basically, whenever the r1-prompt lights up enabling me do to a grapple (this is during the Poseidon-fight), game just doesn't respond to the command. R1 works fine in the menus.

Anyone know if a solution exists for this sorta junk?

jett

D-Member
Sappy113 said:
Sooo... I'm having the same R1/grapple problem that the other guy had way back in the thread. Basically, whenever the r1-prompt lights up enabling me do to a grapple (this is during the Poseidon-fight), game just doesn't respond to the command. R1 works fine in the menus.

Anyone know if a solution exists for this sorta junk?

What are you talking about? Are you talking about pressing the circle button to initiate a kill? You have to climb near Poseidon's head first to activate it.

Sappy113

MrPliskin said:
Take two steps back and hit it again? It's a small bug, but hardly game breaking.

It really kinda is :). Since the game doesn't register my command, I can't R1 grapple. At all. I can't complete the parts of the fight requiring my to grapple onto something, since the command kinda isn't working. Odd.

jett

D-Member
Sappy113 said:
It really kinda is :). Since the game doesn't register my command, I can't R1 grapple. At all. I can't complete the parts of the fight requiring my to grapple onto something, since the command kinda isn't working. Odd.

R1 is for opening chests and activating save points. L1+O is to do the grapple move. Circle button is what you press to do the QTEs when the prompt "lights up" as you say.

Wow, so close in one-shotting the giant scorpion on Chaos. Took a nasty thrust from his tail and died instantly with 75% health.

Then it took me almost an hour to kill the sonofabitch. Good times though....:D

Today I got up to the middle of the
Labyrinth
on Chaos mode. I entered a zen state of GoW play, I did the entire cyclops section without getting hit once. I beat the
scorpion
boss on my first try. I flew through the game tonight, it all clicked. Every good action game has that moment where everything clears up and you become like Neo in the Matrix, nice to see it here. But it is still not like other action games where you need to master the combat system.

For this game all I am doing is figuring out which attacks I can block. Combos and weapons do not matter at all, all you need is an attack that stagger, which is usually square, square , triangle. Any attempt at a longer combo or any advanced moves will KILL YOU. Each fight is basically me figuring out what is the right chain of attacks I can do so I can stay invincible for the longest time. Spells make you invincible, throws make you invincible, rage is almost invincible, riding an enemy makes you invincible, any finisher is invincible. That's it, just stay unhittable. So if there is any enemy that can be grabbed, grab it, dont attack it, just grab and run around. I hardly even attack, I just block and grab.

I will finish Chaos mode today, should be fun.

Sappy113

jett said:
What are you talking about? Are you talking about pressing the circle button to initiate a kill? You have to climb near Poseidon's head first to activate it.

Naw, I'm talking about grappling onto something when the R1 prompt lights up on the screen. In this specific case, during different parts of the Poseidon-fight, like when you need to grapple onto Gaia's hand.

Pressing R1 in these case does not execute the grapple. It actually doesn't do anything other than leaving Kratos standing around scratching his ass :lol . I've been looking around teh interwebz to see if anyone else had the problem. It's not a really widespread thing, but some people here and there have this same problem independent of which controller they're using. Was hoping someone else in here might have experienced it and figured out a work-around.

neoism

Man this game was awesome fucking awesome. Its made me a fan of this series... getting the GOW: Collection today. Probably shouldn't have play 3 without beating 2 first but o'well!

Loudninja

neoism said:
Man this game was awesome fucking awesome. Its made me a fan of this series... getting the GOW: Collection today. Probably shouldn't have play 3 without beating 2 first but o'well!

Same going to get the collection now. :D

MrPliskin

Banned
Sappy113 said:

No, it's not. I don't think anyone has experienced any R1 issues during things like QTE's, I think it's been almost exclusively for opening chests / save points.

I've played the game 3 times through and never run into an issue with doors / QTEs / grapple points.

Even then, I have a hard time believing that you can't complete any part of the game because of it. In every event that you need to use R1, you are given TONS of time to do it (like around 15 seconds).

Top Bottom