• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

GatorBait

So am I correct in believing that the soul grab move with the Hades claws (L1+O) is utterly useless? I used it a few times, but it seems to do virtually zero damage. Is there some use for it that I'm not seeing?

klier

Valkyr Junkie said:
Amazing what you can do with normal maps when your character model is bald and half-naked :lol

True, Kratos to me appears to be the most detailed model. But Drake has more goiing on, like hair and clothes....

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GatorBait said:
So am I correct in believing that the soul grab move with the Hades claws (L1+O) is utterly useless? I used it a few times, but it seems to do virtually zero damage. Is there some use for it that I'm not seeing?
1000 hit trophy.

onken

GatorBait said:

Yeah you can get 1000 hit combo trophy with it :lol

GatorBait said:

Doesn't soul grab "unlock" whatever enemy you've "grabbed" for summoning (R2)? That would make sense, anyway.

NEOPARADIGM said:
Doesn't soul grab "unlock" whatever enemy you've "grabbed" for summoning (R2)? That would make sense, anyway.
Nope. You unlock souls by leveling up the weapon. I have no idea what the soul grab thing does.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well I got my platinum, so for shit's and giggles I did the new game glitch on chaos mode

Holy Hell it is so much fun being on god mode

I had unlimited health, and my item bar (yellow bar) was @ max but it did deplete, magic bar was normal

I even bypassed the whole Aphrodite/Hephaestus/Cronos sections, because you start with all weapons maxed

I finished Chaos in under 5 hours lol, funny thing also happens when you fall down, you have to restart from checkpoint, cause you cant die, I even tried getting squished at different parts, and the game would push me out of the boundaries, it was fun

To get the new game glitch+, beat challenges of olympus, unlock combat arena, put all stats to infinite ie health, magic, item. Put the difficulty to whatever difficulty you are going to play a new game titan or chaos (or other). On the first set of enemies put the 3 set of Medusa. Cause you have infinite health, you have to get stoned in the air, it automatically kills you. Just grab with circle, gaze starts, jump in air, repeat 5 times.

You will get the prompt to change to an easy difficulty. Say no, you will be sent back to the main menu, start new game with the same difficulty you chose at the combat arena, Profit.

uraldix

jett said:
Titan is really a lot of fun...now Chaos...dear god. Regular enemies will give you a beating there.

May have been posted but did you see the guy on youtube playing chaos with no upgrades?

GatorBait said:

combo builder/extender -- unleashing the souls to do ranged attacks keeps your combo going if you have to dodge/reposition. same premise behind the 1000-hit combo trophy, but the real profit is getting orb bonuses for quicker upgrades.

GraveRobberX said:
Well I got my platinum, so for shit's and giggles I did the new game glitch on chaos mode

Holy Hell it is so much fun being on god mode

I had unlimited health, and my item bar (yellow bar) was @ max but it did deplete, magic bar was normal

I even bypassed the whole Aphrodite/Hephaestus/Cronos sections, because you start with all weapons maxed

I finished Chaos in under 5 hours lol, funny thing also happens when you fall down, you have to restart from checkpoint, cause you cant die, I even tried getting squished at different parts, and the game would push me out of the boundaries, it was fun

To get the new game glitch+, beat challenges of olympus, unlock combat arena, put all stats to infinite ie health, magic, item. Put the difficulty to whatever difficulty you are going to play a new game titan or chaos (or other). On the first set of enemies put the 3 set of Medusa. Cause you have infinite health, you have to get stoned in the air, it automatically kills you. Just grab with circle, gaze starts, jump in air, repeat 5 times.

You will get the prompt to change to an easy difficulty. Say no, you will be sent back to the main menu, start new game with the same difficulty you chose at the combat arena, Profit.

I think the patch edits out the option for glitching into new game +. :(

jett

D-Member
uraldix said:
May have been posted but did you see the guy on youtube playing chaos with no upgrades?

I saw the video of him against the fire cerberus. That guy is certifiably insane. :p

Papercuts said:
I would still say throwing the dogs is way too risky, you can still get blown up the exact moment you're not invulnerable from the dog punt, not enough time to dodge it.

Also really sucked to be at that part with an empty rage meter, big enemies like that are the one thing it's actually useful for. Anything else and you just slip and slide right past them. :lol

If you hold down the Right Stick to roll after kicking a dog, you will NEVER get hit by an exploding dog.

tzare

after finishing the game, how on hell are they going to make a sequel and not disappoint? I mean, how can make final bosses that top the ones found on GOW3?

DeadGzuz

Banned
Wow, GoW games can be frustrating. I got to the part where
Pandora is in the box filling with water, after many tries I can get to the top of her box, I see the foot print on the other side of the spiked box going up and down. what do I do?
The worse part is every time I fail I have to open the chest and go through the three horn sacrifice thing again and watch the yellow bar grow. I wanted to scream.

uraldix

dankir said:

I am at work and can't get on you tube but if you search for "GOW 3 cerebus", the user is shinobier. He has vids of most (maybe all) of the boss battles on chaos with no upgrades. I can post a link later when I get home.

Edit: Beaten

ZeroRay

DeadGzuz said:
Wow, GoW games can be frustrating. I got to the part where
Pandora is in the box filling with water, after many tries I can get to the top of her box, I see the foot print on the other side of the spiked box going up and down. what do I do?
The worse part is every time I fail I have to open the chest and go through the three horn sacrifice thing again and watch the yellow bar grow. I wanted to scream.

Use Hermes boots.

Canova

Banned
corrosivefrost said:

that guy is a gifted player. He's been dismantling action games as far as I can remember.

I remember the first NG game in XBOX. He posted video walkthru for master ninja mode. no life upgrade, no ninpo, no item run. He was able to exploit all the bosses weaknesses. So much so that Itagaki and Team Ninja took notice and release patches included in master ninja tournaments contents

dankir said:
Just youtube Shinobier. That guy is GoW legend. Be sure to see his insanity in GoW 1 and 2 as well.
Edit: His tactics helped me out a great deal in hardest difficulty in GoW1 and 2.
canova said:
that guy is a gifted player. He's been dismantling action games as far as I can remember.

I remember the first NG game in XBOX. He posted video walkthru for master ninja mode. no life upgrade, no ninpo, no item run. He was able to exploit all the bosses weaknesses. So much so that Itagaki and Team Ninja took notice and release patches included in master ninja tournaments contents
Yep. He does NURs for action adventure games.

uraldix

RustyNails said:
Just youtube Shinobier. That guy is GoW legend. Be sure to see his insanity in GoW 1 and 2 as well.
Edit: His tactics helped me out a great deal in hardest difficulty in GoW1 and 2.

Yep. He does NURs for action adventure games.

My wife was laughing at me while I cursed his name. I was getting pummeled by the Cerebus on Titan and this guy was beating the part on a higher difficulty with no upgrades. I made up a few new curses while watching him play.

The Chef

Just got a chance to finally listen to the whole soundtrack.
What a excellent compilation of music it might be one of the best I have ever heard for any game.

It was interesting to hear on the Weekend Confirmed podcast that SSM originally planned the final battle to be a

three-way between Zeus, Kratos and another Titan (presumably Gaia, but maybe Chaos as the father of all Titans would be even cooler and be in line with the tagline: "in the end, there will be only Chaos!":lol . I guess the team didn't have the time or resources to implement that, because the final battle (outside+in Gaia) feels scaled down to me, even though it looks and plays amazingly.

ZeroRay

StevePharma said:
It was interesting to hear on the Weekend Confirmed podcast that SSM originally planned the final battle to be a

three-way between Zeus, Kratos and another Titan (presumably Gaia, but maybe Chaos as the father of all Titans would be even cooler and be in line with the tagline: "in the end, there will be only Chaos!":lol . I guess the team didn't have the time or resources to implement that, because the final battle (outside+in Gaia) feels scaled down to me, even though it looks and plays amazingly.

Oh yeah, all the GOW games had content cut, like a Sparta level leading up to the final battle with Zeus in GOW2 and Atlantis (in both games?).

As for GOW3,
I would have actually preferred Kratos fighting himself in the end, whether through a weird time paradox he created from bringing the Titans from the past or something else.

Actually, why didn't they include a look at the lost levels for this game? Maybe they might be thinking of bringing them out via dlc.

The Chef

StevePharma said:

Wow that is really interesting.

nskinnear said:
Can you take a picture of where you are?

I remember this area, and I know exactly what to do, but I can't tell where you are based on your description.

To use Hermes boots, just stand next to the gold footprints on the wall and press L2 + X.
Fixed. :D

teepo

tzare said:
after finishing the game, how on hell are they going to make a sequel and not disappoint? I mean, how can make final bosses that top the ones found on GOW3?

me and i'm pretty sure just about everyone else has been thinking the same thing. i'll be happy if they just start entirely from scratch reuse the same setting, maybe mix it with some other mythological legends from persia. you just really don't get more bad ass than greek myth.

DeadGzuz

Banned
nskinnear said:
Can you take a picture of where you are?

I remember this area, and I know exactly what to do, but I can't tell where you are based on your description.

To use Hermes boots, just stand next to the gold footprints on the wall and press L2 + X.

I know how to use the boots, the issue is getting to the wall.
I get to the top of the tank filling wit water (after using the key, flipping over and climbing up several walls). Pandora is inside, the spiked thing is going up and down on my right with the wall with the footprints on the far side, with the spike thing between.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
DeadGzuz said:
I get to the top of the tank filling wit water (after using the key, flipping over and climbing up several walls). Pandora is inside, the spiked thing is going up and down on my right with the wall with the footprints on the far side, with the spike thing between.

IIRC you have to
jump to the right to grab onto the grating while the spike thingy is at the bottom, wuickly climb up and use the.. thing (where you use the Borea ice thing whatever)

EDIT: I think I have a savegame right before that, I'll go check it out.

Also, what are you supposed to do at the 'bare hands' challenge? I can kill the regular enemies without any trouble, but how are you supposed to kill the iron men and the cyclops (?) without any weapons? And any tips for the 'get stoned' and 'matador' challenges would also be appreciated :p

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Combichristoffersen said:
IIRC you have to
jump to the right to grab onto the grating while the spike thingy is at the bottom, wuickly climb up and use the.. thing (where you use the Borea ice thing whatever)

Also, what are you supposed to do at the 'bare hands' challenge? I can kill the regular enemies without any trouble, but how are you supposed to kill the iron men and the cyclops (?) without any weapons? And any tips for the 'get stoned' and 'matador' challenges would also be appreciated :p

Grab the grunts and then charge at the iron men, and cyclops using the grunts as a battering ram.

Combichristoffersen

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Grab the grunts and then charge at the iron men, and cyclops using the grunts as a battering ram.

How do you do that? I knew how to do it in the demo, but I have no idea how to do it in the retail game :lol

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
How do you do that? I knew how to do it in the demo, but I have no idea how to do it in the retail game :lol

Grab them with O, then hit square to start running with them. As your running just aim at the golems and cyclops and run into them. After you take out the golems and the cyclops, just grab any remaining grunts and throw them out of the arena (press X after you grab them).

O + []

For Matador I would let them rush me, just before they reached me I would jump of the map and glid back into the map and they all would just fall off.

Get Stoned, try to grab the gorgon, they will use the gaze right after, and try to block it with R1 but fail the QTE you will get stoned faster, do this till about 5th or 6th stoning than start completing the QTE after R1 so you stone the monsters and kill some because it gets crowded quick. Just alternate until 10.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Sony Santa Monica's next game should be Heavenly Sword 2, if Ninja Theory doesn't want to do it. I would love to see HS with the GOW3 engine, Nariko's hair would be awesome.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
IIRC you have to

GET STONED

Attempt to grab the medusa and she will block and then immediately try to stone you. Hit block, then MISS the QTE button to get yourself stoned, then shake out of it. If your fast, you can do this 5-6 times before the screen gets too crowded. For the remaining 5 or 6, keep trying to grab the medusa and when you get too surrounded actually finish the QTE correctly, and you will stone everyone around you. Break them. Then just repeat the process until you are able to get yourself stoned in a somewhat open area without getting shattered.

MATADOR

Kill the 1st matador with square, square, triangle...when the grunts come out, use L1 + square until they die. When the two matadors come out, move to the bottom area of the arena near the edge. When they charge at you and are really close, fall off the edge so you hang there, but hit X so you wont fall off...the matadors will just run off the edge. Next, kill some of the grunts, then get near the edge again...when the 3 matadors get close, again, hang off and let them plunge off the edge. Climb up, and L1 + square the remaining grunts.

Combichristoffersen

DeadGzuz said:

Here's how to do it, start finish:
Use the handle to pull out the wall, then run up the wall with Hermes' boots. Jump over to the tank by using Icarus' wings, grab on to the grating, climb up, use the Boreas thingamajig to flip the room. You'll be hanging underneath some construction, so go towards the screen, climb up on the construction, and grab the grating on the wall. Jump to the right when the spiky thing is at the bottom to grab the grating, climb up, turn the crank, which will cause the the tank to drop down. Use the Boreas thingamajig again, jump down, smash the tank, and you're done.

nskinnear said:
Matador -- The first minotaur is easy to take out. Just use Square, Square, Triangle a couple times. Then, complete the QTE when it comes up. When the first wave of enemies comes up, use L1 + Square a couple times to kill them all. When the two minotaurs spawn, run to the back of the arena and stand on the edge. The minotaurs will charge at you. When they get close, roll of the edge. You'll grab the ledge and the minotaurs will run right past you, falling out of the arena. Next, use the same L1 + Square attack a few times to take out all of the enemies. For the last part of the challenge, both minotaurs and enemies will spawn. Immediately use the L1 + Square attack once to take out as many enemies as possible. Then, run to the edge again and roll off when the minotaurs chase you. This should leave just the soldiers. Jump up onto the arena and use L1 + Square one final time.

Bare Hands -- I read this tip on another forum. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems like a good strategy to make this challenge easier: Run to the edge of the arena and roll off. The enemies will chase you and hopefully run right off the edge. If they don't run off the edge, start moving from side to side and start jumping up. This should hopefully cause all the enemies to fall off, leaving you ample time.

Get Stoned -- For the majority of this challenge, hold L1. This will block attacks from other enemies, and from the gorgons themselves. When the gorgons are about to use their beam, let go of L1 and re-press it right when they shoot the beam. This will bring up a QTE. Purposely fail the QTE by pressing the wrong button or just not pressing anything. From there, quickly shake the analog stick to get free. When the birds come in, you have to remember to keep rolling while holding L1, since they can still injure you while your blocking. If there are ever too many enemies, just correctly block the beam and do the QTE sequence. This will freeze all the other enemies and give you time to destroy a few. Keep repeating that method and you'll be done in no time.

Actually, an easier way to deal with the minotaurs in Matador is to use L1 + O to knock them out of the arena. Every time you do the move, it will knock them back so just make sure to line it up at an angle where there's nothing behind them so they go flying out. You do have to be a little careful not to do it at the very edge or you might fall out as well. You can pretty much always knock one minotaur out on each wave with one shot as they're spawning if you can set yourself up at the right angle

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
GET STONED

Attempt to grab the medusa and she will block and then immediately try to stone you. Hit block, then MISS the QTE button to get yourself stoned, then shake out of it. If your fast, you can do this 5-6 times before the screen gets too crowded. For the remaining 5 or 6, keep trying to grab the medusa and when you get too surrounded actually finish the QTE correctly, and you will stone everyone around you. Break them. Then just repeat the process until you are able to get yourself stoned in a somewhat open area without getting shattered.

MATADOR

Kill the 1st matador with square, square, triangle...when the grunts come out, use L1 + square until they die. When the two matadors come out, move to the bottom area of the arena near the edge. When they charge at you and are really close, fall off the edge so you hang there, but hit X so you wont fall off...the matadors will just run off the edge. Next, kill some of the grunts, then get near the edge again...when the 3 matadors get close, again, hang off and let them plunge off the edge. Climb up, and L1 + square the remaining grunts.

I'm going to have to try that, Thanks.

Combichristoffersen

Thanks for all the tips. I'll try it out later :D BTW, can you use the 'New Game+' glitch as an easy way to the trophy for completing the game on titan, or will trophies be disabled in the main game by using the glitch (as the glitch involves the godly possessions)? :p

Thanks for all the tips. I'll try it out later :D BTW, can you use the 'New Game+' glitch as an easy way to the trophy for completing the game on titan, or will trophies be disabled in the main game by using the glitch (as the glitch involves the godly possessions)? :p

Possessions disable Trophies.

Top Bottom