• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Played some more up to the end of
'Chains of Balance'

The game is soooo beautiful.
Hades
continued to enthral, then
City of Olympia
...loved all the improvements over the demo build, the surprise changes. It looks so much better and it looked great to start with back then. That part also really shows off just how clean the image is.
Chains of Balance
was the bit that had me most impressed, visually anyway, from the demo, and it looks as good or better here now. The quality of the blurring and so on...it really does look like prerendered stuff. Amazing. Someone earlier said that this game feels like the first time a game has got those cinematic effects 'right' and it sure does feel like it's doing something more.

Playing these bits also made me think how amazing a WoW or Diablo game would be with these visuals.

jett

D-Member
I found an input glitch. After you roll, with any weapon, you have to press the stick all the way forward for movement to register. That might have caused some responsiveness issues without us realizing it. :p

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The glitch doesn't disable trophies

If you use the godly possessions, yes they become disabled

One of my psn friend I told the glitch about, did it, got unlimited health, and breezed through titan, he even bypassed the sections I mentioned earlier in a post on this same page

Got his "Unhuman" Gold trophy &
King of the Hill trophy
Platinum trophy

Just scroll up, I left how to do the glitch in spoilers on this page

Dogenzaka

Banned
corrosivefrost said:

Well I've been shamed.

Man that guy is GOOD.

Wish I could do that. Awesome. I don't even want to touch Chaos Mode, I don't think it'd be good for my blood pressure.

Unrelated to GoW3, but rather something I mentioned in here a few weeks ago.

(Karma hit that rude GameCrazy I got GoW3 from. Their store is closing down and I scavenged their corpse of gaming discounts and got Sly 2 + Twisted Metal Black for $12. Even as they were going down in shame, the manager was rude to me as I was asking where certain games were because their shelves were disorderly and all games out of their cases. Sweet karma)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
GraveRobberX said:
The glitch doesn't disable trophies

If you use the godly possessions, yes they become disabled

One of my psn friend I told the glitch about, did it, got unlimited health, and breezed through titan, he even bypassed the sections I mentioned earlier in a post on this same page

Got his "Unhuman" Gold trophy &
King of the Hill trophy
Platinum trophy

Just scroll up, I left how to do the glitch in spoilers on this page

Ok. I'll play through the game again on easy just to get the last godly possessions I'm missing, and give the remaining challenges a try. If it all goes well, I'll use the glitch to breeze through Titan to get that final trophy to platinum the game (and possibly do my part in filling up that thing on the Spartans Stand Tall website).

GatorBait

tzare said:
after finishing the game, how on hell are they going to make a sequel and not disappoint? I mean, how can make final bosses that top the ones found on GOW3?
Well, since Stig has said that they are basically done with the Kratos storyline, I have been kicking around an idea in my head that they could explore if they want to continue within the God of War universe. Something like "God of Olympus". You play as Zeus, you go and rescue your brothers/sisters from the belly of Chronos, and the game could conclude with the Great War between the Gods and the Titans.

Granted, it wouldn't make for the most suspenseful story since we would know how it ends, but I can only imagine how amazing SSM could make The Great War.

GatorBait said:
Well, since Stig has said that they are basically done with the Kratos storyline, I have been kicking around an idea in my head that they could explore if they want to continue within the God of War universe. Something like "God of Olympus". You play as Zeus, you go and rescue your brothers/sisters from the belly of Chronos, and the game could conclude with the Great War between the Gods and the Titans.

Granted, it wouldn't make for the most suspenseful story since we would know how it ends, but I can only imagine how amazing SSM could make The Great War.
Or what about Rome? Jupiter, etc. I'm not that familiar with the Roman myths, are they too similar (read: exactly the same)?

GatorBait said:

Kratos
is not done, he has to come back and clean up all the mess he made.
God of War
4 will probably have Kratos vs Athena story, but this time he will be trying to bring the world back to normal instead of destroying everything. Seeing as Athena has been using him since the beginning, she made him open Pandora's Box just so she can get him to kill all the Gods. Kartos has to
kill
Athena, and all her ghostly friends.

Nizz

This is kind of embarrassing, but last night I was stuck at a section I'm sure is simple as hell. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. It's at the section a little after
I defeated Hercules. I'm in the area where a half naked chick (Poseidon's princess?) is locked away. I go to the wheel, go through the motion of opening the two gates, but when I go to run through, the second gate closes too quickly. I tried using Hermes' boots power but I don't make it. There's also another room to the left of Poseidon's princess' room that I have no idea what to do.
Any tips?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Kos Luftar said:
Kratos
God of War
4 will probably have Kratos vs Athena story, but this time he will be trying to bring the world back to normal instead of destroying everything. Seeing as Athena has been using him since the beginning, she made him open Pandora's Box just so she can get him to kill all the Gods. Kartos has to
kill

What ghostly friends? Such plot holes. All other Olympians died but there were no ghosts of them except Zeus and Athena. And you can't kill a ghost, nor can the ghosts even really do anything useful. It's all dumb

Combichristoffersen

fps fanatic said:
This is kind of embarrassing, but last night I was stuck at a section I'm sure is simple as hell. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. It's at the section a little after
I defeated Hercules. I'm in the area where a half naked chick (Poseidon's princess?) is locked away. I go to the wheel, go through the motion of opening the two gates, but when I go to run through, the second gate closes too quickly. I tried using Hermes' boots power but I don't make it. There's also another room to the left of Poseidon's princess' room that I have no idea what to do.
Any tips?

You have to
make the princess follow you, and impale her on the wheel to hold it up so you can pass the two gates. Can't remember the room to the left though.

My idea for the next GOW: Kratos
is not involved.
Sony Santa Monica
moves to a new IP which doesn't involve
Dionysus or Athena
or end in a total
GLOBAL APOCALYPSE. Jesus
, the last thing we need is this IP getting milked.
God
knows every other IP
gets completely destroyed and raped.

ZeroRay

Dogenzaka said:
What ghostly friends? Such plot holes. All other Olympians died but there were no ghosts of them except Zeus and Athena. And you can't kill a ghost, nor can the ghosts even really do anything useful. It's all dumb

A lot of the stuff in the GOW universe is not explained.

The time paradoxes in GOW2 led me to believe that you'll fight the Kratos Zeus killed in the beginning of GOW2 in 3, and that you'll have to bring the world back to "Chaos" and restart existence instead of what we actually got.

...that would be more interesting actually. :lol

Nizz

Combichristoffersen said:
You have to
make the princess follow you, and impale her on the wheel to hold it up so you can pass the two gates. Can't remember the room to the left though.
Ok, I'll try again tonight. But
I'm not sure how to initiate her following me. I can't open the gate to the room she's in. Hmmm.. I'll try harder.
Thanks anyway. :)

DeadGzuz

Banned
Here's how to do it, start finish:
Jump to the right when the spiky thing is at the bottom to grab the grating, -->climb up, turn the crank<---, which will cause the the tank to drop down. Use the Boreas thingamajig again, jump down, smash the tank, and you're done.

Where is it (see text)? I can go up and
jump on top of her tank
. Did I miss something?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
fps fanatic said:
Ok, I'll try again tonight. But
I'm not sure how to initiate her following me. I can't open the gate to the room she's in. Hmmm.. I'll try harder.
Thanks anyway. :)
You go through the room to the left of the room she's in and after you solve a portal puzzle she starts to follow you.
DeadGzuz said:
Where is it (see text)? I can go up and
jump on top of her tank
. Did I miss something?
There's a grated back wall that you can climb up. It's on the right side. You have to glide over from the top of the glass box. It can be kind of tough to see.

DeadGzuz

Banned
RoboPlato said:
There's a grated back wall that you can climb up. It's on the right side. You have to glide over from the top of the glass box. It can be kind of tough to see.

Thanks. I got so frustrated from dying over and over just to get up and guess wrong.

canova said:
that guy is a gifted player. He's been dismantling action games as far as I can remember.

I remember the first NG game in XBOX. He posted video walkthru for master ninja mode. no life upgrade, no ninpo, no item run. He was able to exploit all the bosses weaknesses. So much so that Itagaki and Team Ninja took notice and release patches included in master ninja tournaments contents

Yes he's very good. There's another guy who's done most of NG2 MNM no damage run.

But what his vids mostly show is that
hermes boots+cestus jump and grab spam is OP against most enemies in the game especially satyrs

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dreamer3kx said:
Going to start this up today finally, hard or normal? I dont want to dies 200+ times so is normal recommended, is it too easy?
I thought God was a perfect difficulty for a first playthrough. It's a bit harder than Normal is in most games. Titan is a bit much for the average player on the first time although if you're a GoW fanatic you may want to try it.

Combichristoffersen

RoboPlato said:
You go through the room to the left of the room she's in and after you solve a portal puzzle she starts to follow you.

Ah, right, forgot about that puzzle. That's a great place to do the 'obedience school' trophy, BTW.

dreamer3kx said:
Going to start this up today finally, hard or normal? I dont want to dies 200+ times so is normal recommended, is it too easy?

Personally I think normal is the sweet spot difficulty. Challenging at times, but not ridiculously hard. Normal in GoW 3 is easier than normal in GoW 1 and 2, though.

dreamer3kx said:

Normal is too easy for vets of the series, but the first boss on Titan is really tough so you'll probably end up getting frustrated early on.

ZeroRay

dreamer3kx said:

Titan is a fair challenge although there will be some VERY frustrating parts like the first boss who will probably wreck you on your first time like the other guy said.

diddlyD

Banned
beat it last night on titan, first time through. i'm overall quite disappointed in the game. it's still a good game on it's own, but a real let down from part 2.

my gripes? technically it's a mess, and overrated. the framerate is often disappointing. the lighting everyone goes on about because it's flashy is actually not that advanced or impressive (really easy to get the lighting model to break down when using helios' head in various parts of the game for example). visuals while at times are great, are often not so great. the bugs, my god the bugs i ran into in one playthrough, which i've never seen before in a GoW title. sound bugs, graphic bugs, behavior bugs, really sad stuff. the overall level design was a letdown from part 2. most of the bosses were poorly conceived and executed, and resultantly confusing fights. every boss after the first two turned into "here's the boss... and 5 other enemies to fight with him to make it hard". lazy contrived design. combat is a letdown as well. it feels more sluggish than past gow's, and the feedback regarding when you're hitting or getting blocked, as well as when you're getting hit is weak. the camera zooms way too far out too often in big fights, making decision making during combat impossible because you can't see wtf is going on. the game felt like amateur hour to me, like the team is slipping. sloppy design, sloppy implementation.

again, still a good game, but my expectations were understandably much higher than the end product. hopefully they'll make another and it will be a big improvement.

gow2 > gow1 > gow:CoO >= gow3

ZeroRay said:
Titan is a fair challenge although there will be some VERY frustrating parts like the first boss who will probably wreck you on your first time like the other guy said.
AND
the last room of the labyrinth

AND the goddamn
fire cerberus/satyrs

I think the first one I cited above is actually much worse than the last.

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
AND
the last room of the labyrinth

AND the goddamn
fire cerberus/satyrs

I think the first one I cited above is actually much worse than the last.

Ok, think ill be playing on normal, dont want to break my controller.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Kos Luftar said:
Kratos
God of War
kill

Serious question,
I just don't get why Athena died for Zeus then?

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Just fought
the scorpion
how much longer do I have left?

Also, if I only found some of the godly possessions, can I just find the rest on a new game to get the trophy or do I have to find all of them in a single playthrough?

uraldix

LunaticPuma said:
Also, if I only found some of the godly possessions, can I just find the rest on a new game to get the trophy or do I have to find all of them in a single playthrough?

You can find the rest on a new playthrough and they are usable on any difficulty.

nskinnear said:
I'm at this part right now. It's so goddamn frustrating.

There were still a couple of enemies when I ran for the exit. I was stuck here for a while.

jett

D-Member
platinum'd this bitch.

now to consider finishing my chaos run... :lol I'm not really having that much fun on chaos tbh.

uraldix

jett said:
platinum'd this bitch.

now to consider finishing my chaos run... :lol I'm not really having that much fun on chaos tbh.

I am playing on easy to get the last couple of trophies and it isn't fun at all. It is nearly impossible to die unless you fall.

Nizz

@ RoboPlato and nskinnear
Thanks for the tips guys, going to try again tonight for sure.

Ah, right, forgot about that puzzle. That's a great place to do the 'obedience school' trophy, BTW.

Personally I think normal is the sweet spot difficulty. Challenging at times, but not ridiculously hard. Normal in GoW 3 is easier than normal in GoW 1 and 2, though.
I feel the same way. This is the first God of War game that I'm playing through on normal. In GoW 1&2, I started on normal but when I got to a difficult spot and the game asked if I wanted to lower the difficulty I chose yes.

At two different spots in GoW3, it asked if I wanted to change to easy but I chose no and pushed on. Felt pretty good finally getting through those spots. The harder difficulties are fine for people who want more of a challenge but for me normal is just fine. I'll get frustrated sometimes but not to the point where I'm ready to snap the controller.

I may actually go back and try the first two GoW games on normal again. I'm really digging GoW3 though. Such a good looking and fun game. Love the feeling of being a badass.

JB1981

Finally finished this game. I had mentioned a few pages back that I went back to God of War 2 and preferred its pacing to this game. No way.

This iteration has made the combat in the previous games STALE.

JB1981

diddlyD said:
beat it last night on titan, first time through. i'm overall quite disappointed in the game. it's still a good game on it's own, but a real let down from part 2.

my gripes? technically it's a mess, and overrated. the framerate is often disappointing. the lighting everyone goes on about because it's flashy is actually not that advanced or impressive (really easy to get the lighting model to break down when using helios' head in various parts of the game for example). visuals while at times are great, are often not so great. the bugs, my god the bugs i ran into in one playthrough, which i've never seen before in a GoW title. sound bugs, graphic bugs, behavior bugs, really sad stuff. the overall level design was a letdown from part 2. most of the bosses were poorly conceived and executed, and resultantly confusing fights. every boss after the first two turned into "here's the boss... and 5 other enemies to fight with him to make it hard". lazy contrived design. combat is a letdown as well. it feels more sluggish than past gow's, and the feedback regarding when you're hitting or getting blocked, as well as when you're getting hit is weak. the camera zooms way too far out too often in big fights, making decision making during combat impossible because you can't see wtf is going on. the game felt like amateur hour to me, like the team is slipping. sloppy design, sloppy implementation.

again, still a good game, but my expectations were understandably much higher than the end product. hopefully they'll make another and it will be a big improvement.

gow2 > gow1 > gow:CoO >= gow3

HA HA AH A HA HAHAAHAHAAH

Banned
GatorBait said:
So am I correct in believing that the soul grab move with the Hades claws (L1+O) is utterly useless? I used it a few times, but it seems to do virtually zero damage. Is there some use for it that I'm not seeing?

I think they might do a little damage but they'll never kill an enemy.

Combichristoffersen

I'm trying the bare hands challenge now, and Jesustits this is impossible. Mainly due to the controls when Kratos is running/using an enemy as a ram being fucking terrible. Feels like Kratos is trying to run on slippery ice, imprecise and shitty it is.

Banned
I'm trying the bare hands challenge now, and Jesustits this is impossible. Mainly due to the controls when Kratos is running/using an enemy as a ram being fucking terrible. Feels like Kratos is trying to run on slippery ice, imprecise and shitty it is.

just direct him in the direction you want him to run, then let him run. Don't keep holding the stick in that direction.

methane47

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
MATADOR

Kill the 1st matador with square, square, triangle...when the grunts come out, use L1 + square until they die. When the two matadors come out, move to the bottom area of the arena near the edge. When they charge at you and are really close, fall off the edge so you hang there, but hit X so you wont fall off...the matadors will just run off the edge. Next, kill some of the grunts, then get near the edge again...when the 3 matadors get close, again, hang off and let them plunge off the edge. Climb up, and L1 + square the remaining grunts.

For Matador i used a different technique... with the regular chains if you do L1 + O .. you will shoulder ram them.. So pretty much when the match starts I L1+O the first bull off the edge with one hit. Then the soldiers spawn i Spam L1-[] until they die. Then the two bulls spawn Before one is fully out of the ground I L1+O them off the edge with one hit. Then the other which is generally almost fully up now.. I L1+O x2 to get them off the edge... Then the 30 soldiers spawn.. and I just spam L1+[] to kill them...
THEN for the last round I simply turn on rage of sparta and share out slaps to everyone till their dead...

QUICK AND EASY.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Finally got to redeem my phantom of chaos code. Thanks again nskinnear.

The Barehands challenge is impossible. Even looking at videos online i cannot get it done. Finished all of the other challenges though. The get stoned one was HARD but i got it done.

The Chef

I wish I could find a better shot of it but when you first fall into the River Styx the composition of that scene with the lighting from the lamps and the water lapping up against the rocks is beautiful.

2vagh9s.jpg

Top Bottom