• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

methane47

neojubei said:
That screenhot is so awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHQr6YIwdaQ

Wow god of war is so popular, i wish i was there.

wow lol epic!

I have to say... The harder difficulty really hammers home the feeling of EPICness..... i was watching my brother run through it on Easy today... and to me his battles seem much less Epic than man...

One more thing.. They only thing I'm TRULEY utterly unsatisfied with in this game is that I didn't get to fight the other titans :(

I mean.. COME ON... why dont i get to fight more of the guys you see in the opening sequence... I mean.. lightning titan looks awesome as does volcano titan.. and yet ... nothing :(

DISAPPOINTMENT TOTAL.

hatchx

Banned
Just thought I'd chime in with my early impressions. I am about about the five hour mark, and I've played both GOW1 and 2 and loved both of them.

The graphics and sound are stellar. I think Kratos may be the best-looking character I've ever seen with very impressive animation to boot. My only problem is it appears a bit framey, something I noticed in the demo that I had hoped would be gone but isn't. I'm only nit-picking.

The gameplay is pretty much GOW. Not a lot of surprises. The QTE buttons are on the far sides of the screen. Not sure how I feel about that as I've missed a few by simply not seeing them when the screen is crowded with enemies. I love the subtle zoom-in touch when I hold L1 and press circle, and I also really like the wings and the small mechanics they add (the short flying zones are cool).

The beginning is obviously a high-note. It kind of peters-out after that into what you'd expect. I know it will hit a high-note again like that later in the game so I'm patiently waiting. I kind of wish the game was constantly that intense, but then we'd probably have to wait a lot longer.

So far pretty much what I expected, which is a great thing. The beginning is wowzers amazing, and I'm really hoping it reaches that intensity again.

KZObsessed

shagg_187 said:
Still fucking pissed that Ultimate Trilogy Edition (EU) get the soundtrack on CD while the Ultimate Edition (NA) gets a fucking voucher...
I'm still pissed I couldn't buy this at launch:

14153238x.jpg

And now have to buy them separately.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
QUESTION FOR THOSE WITH ULTIMATE EDITION

I see that the Challenges and Dominus skin are sharable but is the Unearthing the Legend Doc also? The voucher makes it seem like it is. Can someone enlighten me.

Beat the game a few hours ago. Stonkingly good. I loved the ending too.

Does starting a new game using the godly possessions disable trophies, say the collecting all Gorgons eyes and the such?

Almost done with the game, and i have one word to describe the game. SICK
the graphic is so bloody sick,
the story is so bloody sick,
and Kratos is so bloody sick.

sick!

hahaha

p.s. the game got very buggy toward the end. like the cut scene would stutter every 2 second. is it just me? i have the original fat ps3.

diddlyD

Banned
evening rage fest with diddlyd, commence.

i got to
cerberus
on titan mode. wtf. any good strats? i can get to the second phase where the satyr comes out, but that's it, the game is so chaotic and the camera is so far out i can't fight him using my usual strategy of parry/counterattack and promptly die.

please help. i'll save my bitching for later.

*edit* i love gamefaqs and their useless strategy guides. "after that a satyr comes out. kill him, then kill the boss. then 2 more come out. kill them without dying and finish off the boss to proceed" thanks for those tips fuckface.

if anyone tells me to throw the dogs back at the boss, well that doesnt work because the other 1-2 dogs blow up on me as i'm kicking the one i grabbed back and i get hit, all de time.

diddlyD

Banned
also, has anyone mentioned that this game actually rips off Darksiders? the blue ice columns that you can break with the fist weapon. I saw the ice columns early in the game, and thought hmm wonder if you break those with a weapon, like in Darksiders, which i just played through a month ago. and sure enough... kind of embarrassing to be ripping off a game that owes the rest of it's entire design to ripping off god of war.

jett

D-Member
diddlyD said:
evening rage fest with diddlyd, commence.

i got to
cerberus
on titan mode. wtf. any good strats? i can get to the second phase where the satyr comes out, but that's it, the game is so chaotic and the camera is so far out i can't fight him using my usual strategy of parry/counterattack and promptly die.

please help. i'll save my bitching for later.

*edit* i love gamefaqs and their useless strategy guides. "after that a satyr comes out. kill him, then kill the boss. then 2 more come out. kill them without dying and finish off the boss to proceed" thanks for those tips fuckface.

if anyone tells me to throw the dogs back at the boss, well that doesnt work because the other 1-2 dogs blow up on me as i'm kicking the one i grabbed back and i get hit, all de time.

1.-Kick back one dog, roll out immediately. Repeat. Unleash arrows whenever possible.

2.- Gorgon the satyr.

3.- repeat step 1

4.- Repeat step 2

5.- RAGE OF SPARTA COMMENCE

6.- QTE the remaining Satyr until he dies.

the end.

this worked for me on titan.

p.s. btw dude getting a new weapon to eliminate a roadblock is a game mechanic that has been around for DECADES.

Just beat all the challenges. Bare Hands was the only one I really had any problems with and finally beating it to get the trophy was so damn satisfying.

The Chef

diddlyD said:
also, has anyone mentioned that this game actually rips off Darksiders? the blue ice columns that you can break with the fist weapon. I saw the ice columns early in the game, and thought hmm wonder if you break those with a weapon, like in Darksiders, which i just played through a month ago. and sure enough... kind of embarrassing to be ripping off a game that owes the rest of it's entire design to ripping off god of war.

Yes the development team played Darksiders a couple months ago and decided that it was worth re-coding the beginning chains of olympus and several major boss battles to include that gameplay element. Holy shit your dumb.

diddlyD

Banned
The Chef said:
Yes the development team played Darksiders a couple months ago and decided that it was worth re-coding the beginning chains of olympus and several major boss battles to include that gameplay element. Holy shit your dumb.

no what i'm saying is they obviously have spies working at vigil games so they can steal their ideas.

also lol @ your dumb

jett said:
p.s. btw dude getting a new weapon to eliminate a roadblock is a game mechanic that has been around for DECADES.

yeah but you have to admit large iron fist smashing blue ice obstacles is pretty specific.

jett

D-Member
diddlyD said:
no what i'm saying is they obviously have spies working at vigil games so they can steal their ideas.

also lol @ your dumb

yeah but you have to admit large iron fist smashing blue ice obstacles is pretty specific.

The cestus has been shown breaking specific shit since the very first trailer.

diddlyD

Banned
The Chef said:
diddlyd_small.jpg

Seemed like a pretty astute comment to me. As a side note I love people that use the LOL tag that appear to be older than 13.

"you're dumb" dood, not "your dumb"

man this game just sucks. beat
cerberus
on titan though, wasn't really hard once i got past his error collision detection on hits and amateur animation.

use arrows to kill bomb dogs, use hades' chains and gorgon stone attack on satyrs
piece o cake

diddlyD said:
Using green orbs for health and blue for mana is pretty fucking specific too. I wonder why Capcom didn't sue SSM for that.

I agree with jett about this amazing game. I wouldn't say it was "less boring" than GoW2 but it's certainly a lot more interesting. I just couldn't stop playing until I finished it unlike its predecessor. The gameplay btw is by far the best in the franchise and they finally made the sub-weapons useful.

Other than the weirdly told story that has to be interpreted and explained because the game didn't do it very well and the lack of physics I have no other complaints.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
jett said:
1.-Kick back one dog, roll out immediately. Repeat. Unleash arrows whenever possible.

2.- Gorgon the satyr.

3.- repeat step 1

4.- Repeat step 2

5.- RAGE OF SPARTA COMMENCE

6.- QTE the remaining Satyr until he dies.

the end.

this worked for me on titan.

I would still say throwing the dogs is way too risky, you can still get blown up the exact moment you're not invulnerable from the dog punt, not enough time to dodge it.

Also really sucked to be at that part with an empty rage meter, big enemies like that are the one thing it's actually useful for. Anything else and you just slip and slide right past them. :lol

Actually the best way is to kick the dog and spam arrows.

Kill first head and avoid that satyr

Kill the second head and kill the Cerberus and then finish off the 2 satyrs.

The reason you avoid that satyr is because you'll end up fighting 2 total satyrs instead of 3 total if you do.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Just finished and man I loved the end game. I thought it got a bit monotone in the middle (still gorgeous) but the last 1/3rd of the game was freaking amazing. I don't know what Geoff was referring to when he said classic gaming moments, there were a few towards the end that goes down as all time classic moments in my book.

Great, great game. Maybe slightly disappointed with the story but I'm two-ways about it...

Wish I could take some screens and post them in the spoiler thread.

BRING ON THE DLC!!

diddlyD said:

also lol @ your dumb

Iknos the second.

Ballistictiger said:
Actually the best way is to kick the dog and spam arrows.

Kill first head and avoid that satyr

Kill the second head and kill the Cerberus and then finish off the 2 satyrs.

The reason you avoid that satyr is because you'll end up fighting 2 total satyrs instead of 3 total if you do.
I had no Rage of Sparta and went mental with Cestus gauntlets (Titan mode). It was slightly aggravating, but I fucked the cerberus' shit bad. I basically ignored the satyrs, smacked the dogs around+dodge and never let up on the cerberus. I also did army of Sparta magic while up cerberus' ass for massive damage. As for Satyrs, L1+square (which throws them off) followed by combo time. Sounds easy on paper, buts its not.

roxya

I don't understand how the Icarus Vents get so much hate. I thought they were way better than the pegasus sections from II.

Banned
vMaxx said:
How do you know that?

It's mentioned in the article I just posted.

Kratos- 20K polys
Drake - 35k polys

The information is there for those who seek it in the behind-the-scenes footage on-disc and online. I was too lazy to confirm it for myself. :D

00011000 said:
It's mentioned in the article I just posted.

Kratos- 20K polys
Drake - 35k polys

The information is there for those who seek it in the behind-the-scenes footage on-disc and online. I was too lazy to confirm it for myself. :D

Amazing what you can do with normal maps when your character model is bald and half-naked :lol

Banned
mgviperman said:
Just beat all the challenges. Bare Hands was the only one I really had any problems with and finally beating it to get the trophy was so damn satisfying.

The trick I found with Bare Hands is grapple the enemy then just direct the charge intially but don't keep pushing the direction for Kratos to run in because it somehow affects the collision with the Golems.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Tried three challenges so far: Bare Hands, Get Stoned and the first one (don't let the enemy-count get over 50). Enemycount thing was a breeze, the other two are bitching. With Bare Hands, I nearly nailed it, destroyed the last enemy WHILE the counter hit 0, so it didn't register for the challenge. Never got that close to completing it again.
Get Stoned is insane, enemies respawn, I seriously have no idea how to do these two.

Footos22

neorej said:
Tried three challenges so far: Bare Hands, Get Stoned and the first one (don't let the enemy-count get over 50). Enemycount thing was a breeze, the other two are bitching. With Bare Hands, I nearly nailed it, destroyed the last enemy WHILE the counter hit 0, so it didn't register for the challenge. Never got that close to completing it again.
Get Stoned is insane, enemies respawn, I seriously have no idea how to do these two.

Gets stoned is easy once you know how.
Best to counter the gorgon stare with L1 then dont press the button that flashes on screen but just wiggle the stick.
If shit gets too hectic counter it properly and smash a load of statues, preferably the satyrs
then just carry on. Takes about a Min
Don't worry about the divebombing harpies. They never seemed to smash me whilst i was wiggling like crazy, Glitch maybe?

kikanny

neorej said:
Try to push the big guys of the platform for the Bare Hands challenge.

For Get Stoned, when you press O button on a Medusa, she starts blowing that beam. During that time press L1 and miss the QTE. You will instantly turn to stone. Shake off and rinse and repeat.

LosDaddie

Banned
I read here last week that there's glitch which bascially allows for a NewGame+. Is that correct? Or are we not allowed to talk about it?

I'm almost done with my God playthrough and I'd love to play Titan with a some upgrades.

jett

D-Member
LosDaddie said:
I read here last week that there's glitch which bascially allows for a NewGame+. Is that correct? Or are we not allowed to talk about it?

I'm almost done with my God playthrough and I'd love to play Titan with a some upgrades.

It's on gamefaqs.com. I tried it but it glitches your health, you're nearly invincible. Titan should be played the normal way, trust me. :p

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
LosDaddie said:

Yes it does exist, and surprisingly it wasnt corrected with the recent 1.01 patch. I already platinum'd this so i didnt have to use it, (nor would i since my 1st playthrough was on Titan) but im sure others here could tell you how to do it.

I've had God of War 3 sitting under my TV for over a week and have resisted the urge to pop it in before finishing parts 1 and 2 in the collection. Very much looking forward to it.

I must have done the final GOW2 QTE about 50 times before getting it right this morning before work. "Zeus! I lay down my arms!" "I'll relieve you of your life, but your torment has just begun" SHUT THE FUCK UP!

LosDaddie

Banned
jett said:
It's on gamefaqs.com. I tried it but it glitches your health, you're nearly invincible. Titan should be played the normal way, trust me. :p

Thanks.

I tried Titan, but it was too much trial-n-error for me. I didn't want to hate the game.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
LosDaddie said:
Thanks.

I tried Titan, but it was too much trial-n-error for me. I didn't want to hate the game.

If youve already beat it once on a non-Titan difficulty, then the trial and error part would be gone on a 2nd Titan playthrough. If you're doing Titan as your 1st though like i did, then i can totally see your point with alot of it being trial and error.

jett

D-Member
LosDaddie said:
Thanks.

Titan is really a lot of fun...now Chaos...dear god. Regular enemies will give you a beating there.

kikanny said:
For Get Stoned, when you press O button on a Medusa, she starts blowing that beam. During that time press L1 and miss the QTE. You will instantly turn to stone. Shake off and rinse and repeat.
This is how I did it. Trying to grab a Medusa will prompt her to stone gaze you. If done quickly enough, you can get 5 before it starts to get crazy.

Top Bottom