• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

mr_nothin

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I swear, what a crappy time to get a month ban; I haven't had a chance to talk about this game yet. I played it very slowly and didn't get through it for about two weeks. It's hard to find my total feeling, there were things I loved and things I didn't. I thought the bosses this time felt more 'real' to me
something about the Herc fight had me totally pumped up
. It didn't feel to me like the game had much of a story this time though. Of course in all the GoW games, you are given your main task very soon and you spend the entire game working to it, but this time we didn't find out anything I wanted to know, and it felt like we were left in the same place as GoW2. The whole time in Gow2 I was waiting to see what happens to earth if you kill all the gods, and I thought you would see it when you kill Zues at the end of 2. I felt like I waited to through all of GoW3 and I didn't really get to see what I wanted in this game either, just the basics I expected. I really loved the game, but left a bad taste in my mouth and I think both of the previous GoW games were a better total package. I'll save my comments about the ending and Cratos' character for the spoiler thread. Overall, 10 for graphics, 10 for sounds, but I'd say 8.5 for the total package.

Oh, the weapon variety and magic this time was handled really well I thought.
Sounds like you just have a problem with the way the story turned out, more than anything.

Denzar

Just spent the last hour trying to beat
Hades
on titan difficulty.

His lard, half-rotten, olympian ass keeps blocking my view. I can't even get to the second flesh rip. His attacks hurt me when he doesn't even touch me.

Any tips?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Deepack said:
Hades
on titan difficulty.

His lard, half-rotten, olympian ass keeps blocking my view. I can't even get to the second flesh rip. His attacks hurt me when he doesn't even touch me.

Any tips?

keep your distance. his second phase is the toughest one. keep rolling when he starts his swipes. Got any orbs left? Upgrade the bow if you haven't already. It's worth it for this fight alone. It's really the ideal way to damage him the first two stages. Last phase, get up close and go apeshit on him with rage of sparta/magic.

LosDaddie

Banned
Kos Luftar said:
It doesn't matter in the end because I think it is Game of the Year and if others disagree than clearly they are crazy and they don't know what they are talking about.

I don't believe I've ever had the same GotY as GAF.

Denzar

Thanks guys.

Never broke a sweat during GoWII on hard.

I'm having nightmares about the
cerberus fight
already...

Raist

Banned
Deepack said:
Hades
on titan difficulty.

Any tips?

Stay away from him as much as you can and use the bow.
He has two different attacks at this point I believe, one is just two slashes, just roll at the last second to dodge the first slash, and even before you're done rolling, hold the stick in the opposite direction to dodge the second slash.
The other attack where he sticks his claws in the ground and then attacks with both isn't really hard to dodge, just keep rolling around him when he starts that one.

Raist

Banned
nskinnear said:
Copy/pasting my tips from a few pages back.

Next, the floor will turn black and Hades will summon some chains. There are only three safe spots here (middle, left, or right), and as far as I can tell, where to go is a guessing game.

It's not.
First the ground completely turns to black, and then the safe area will switch back to normal (greyish) texture a couple of seconds before the chains pop out

Denzar

I sure hope I have enough orbs to upgrade the bow. I'm at 2500 during that fight.

I was also keeping my distance and rolling but still he seems to hit me with his attacks. Felt really, really cheap.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kos Luftar said:
I will be very disappointed if that happened.

I haven't played that game but just the idea of it makes me cringe. I am not into Japanese action games.

Wtf kind of logic is this? You'll be disappointed if a game you just admitted to never playing gets more love at the end of the year? Bayonetta is just under Mass Effect 2 for GotY so far this year to me, GoW3 likely won't be in the top 10 if the rest of the year keeps up.

nskinnear said:
Really? I don't recall
the safe area ever changing to grey
. Thanks, though. I'll update my post.

Yeah, that does occur. It can be a right pain the arse though as quite often I'm too far away to make it, as I'm a bit of a mover in games like this.

Veelk

Banned
StuBurns said:
It's hella ulgy, true. But in a way, it'd be cool if something won purely out of gameplay. Uncharted 2 is very pretty, it's the best looking console game so far in fact, and as much as I loved the presentation, acting, gameplay, the whole package, I really think the fact it's beautiful did more for it's chances of winning than anything.

At least Bayonetta would be winning only for it's combat, because it is an ugly ass piece of crap.

The hell? Have we played the same game? Are you referring to the technicality of the game, or the art direction? Either way, I think Bayonetta looks amazing. It's got a very unique, ethereal style that is simply not found anywhere else. The imaginative architecture, the sprawled out vistas, the surreal sculpture like design of the enemies, the incredible action choreography, the dazzling effects ...all that looks ugly to you? I can understand preferring other art styles, like GoW3's Greek design, but hella ugly is going a bit too far imo.

Anyway, I really doubt that GoW3 will win overall Game of the Year. It may win the Adventure game of the year. The only game out so far to contend it for that is Darksiders, and I doubt many will choose it over GoW3. I don't think there'll be anyone else that'll beat out GoW3 in this category either, so it's pretty much secured it. Action GotY should go to Bayonetta.

StuBurns

Banned
Generic said:
The hell? Have we played the same game? Are you referring to the technicality of the game, or the art direction? Either way, I think Bayonetta looks amazing. It's got a very unique, ethereal style that is simply not found anywhere else. The imaginative architecture, the sprawled out vistas, the surreal sculpture like design of the enemies, the incredible action choreography, the dazzling effects ...all that looks ugly to you? I can understand preferring other art styles, like GoW3's Greek design, but hella ugly is going a bit too far imo.
I don't think GoW3 is particularly artistically impressive, however technically I find it pretty stunning, Bayonetta on the other hand I find both artistically, and technically completely horrid. Especially on the PS3, although even on the 360 I think it's pretty embarrassing to look at.

However, this is a GoW3 thread, not Bayonetta, let's not derail.

StuBurns said:
I don't think GoW3 is particularly artistically impressive, however technically I find it pretty stunning, Bayonetta on the other hand I find both artistically, and technically completely horrid. Especially on the PS3, although even on the 360 I think it's pretty embarrassing to look at.

However, this is a GoW3 thread, not Bayonetta, let's not derail.

Bayonetta feels great I absolutely love the combat but I agree that the aesthetics of the game either make it or break it for many people. I have it on 360 and I don't think it was ever doing anything technically impressive plus the art style did nothing for me.

Generic said:

Anyway, I really doubt that GoW3 will win overall Game of the Year. It may win the Adventure game of the year. The only game out so far to contend it for that is Darksiders, and I doubt many will choose it over GoW3. I don't think there'll be anyone else that'll beat out GoW3 in this category either, so it's pretty much secured it. Action GotY should go to Bayonetta.

Let's not turn this into a Bayonetta vs. GOW3 thread. In terms of GOTY, it's surely at the top, and there's a lot of games not out yet. I'll be ready to discuss again after playing some of the other games.

But in terms of a better looking action game? This has beaten everything. TLG might have something to say about that, but I'm not sure if that's an action in the traditional sense.

Cep

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Bayonetta feels great I absolutely love the combat but I agree that the aesthetics of the game either make it or break it for many people. I have it on 360 and I don't think it ever was doing anything technically impressive and the art style did nothing for me.

Personally, I feel that the artists went out of their way to make the game look repulsive.

Not sure why they would do that, but I am almost convinced that they did.

Still, one of the best games I have ever had the pleasure of playing though.

mr_nothin said:
Sounds like you just have a problem with the way the story turned out, more than anything.
yeah, in a way. I'm not going to say total fail of a story, but it felt like we got so little. There were extra unexplained things thrown in at the end and basically I feel like we got nothing more than we got last time. GOW3 is one of the games where the story did matter a great deal to me. It clearly won't be the last one they need to do more in 3. I loved the look and the combat and changes made to the weapon controls.

Veelk

Banned
I wasn't trying to turn this into a GoW vs bayonetta debate, but I'm really surprised to hear people saying they don't like how it looks. To me, it looked fantasic. But oh well, to each his own.

I played the Poseidon fight yesterday with a bunch of my friends and the collective HOLY SHIT that was uttered during this scene was so funny.

302c28z.jpg

The composition of this shot is just fantastic stuff.

Generic said:
I wasn't trying to turn this into a GoW vs bayonetta debate, but I'm really surprised to hear people saying they don't like how it looks. To me, it looked fantasic. But oh well, to each his own.

Your definitely not in the minority. My brother thinks it looks really great its just kind of a polarizing art style.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The art style and over the top wackiness really are factors that keep me from playing Bayonetta. I like wackiness mind you, but Bayonetta's just... the wrong kind. I'm sure the combat system is incredible but everything else just rubs me the wrong way. Played the demo, watched a friend play through a bit of the game.. more than enough for me.

Nizz

BruceLeeRoy said:
The soundtrack for GOW3 might be the best soundtrack I have heard for a game since MGS1.
Something about the girl singing during the
Hades
sections was kind of hypnotizing. How she was singing about hope, yet the people there were pretty much damned to be there for all eternity.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BruceLeeRoy said:
The soundtrack for GOW3 might be the best soundtrack I have heard for a game since MGS1.
Tell me about it man O_O

I decided to play the first parts of the game before when I realized how good it was. I lowered the SFX and Voice sounds to 10 and music to 100 so that I could actually hear it :lol

Lince

Banned
finally finished it on Titan mode, fuck you
Scorpion
! it wasn't easy but nothing compared to NG Master Ninja mode, now time to find the best place for the one thousand hit combo (if that's even possible :lol)

also some of the post-game challenges are ridiculously hard or silly, I cleared that in half an hour but in a couple of them I was just lucky. Combat Arena is so much fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
at least we can all agree that Bayonetta is a much more likable character than Kratos.

edit: I just don't have it in me anymore, so I'll add this:

=p

BruceLeeRoy said:
the only track that REALLY stands out to me upon reflection is the piece that played in The Forge. That was so tonally fantastic, and was something a little bit new for the series.

Raist

Banned
Lince said:
finally finished it on Titan mode, fuck you
Scorpion
! it wasn't easy but nothing compared to NG Master Ninja mode, now time to find the best place for the one thousand hit combo (if that's even possible :lol)

No, time for chaos mode, you wuss.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Lince said:
now time to find the best place for the one thousand hit combo (if that's even possible :lol)

L1 + O on
first stage of Hercules fight
with the
claws of Hades on level 1
. Profit.

Lince

Banned
Raist said:
No, time for chaos mode, you wuss.

is that the hello one hit you're dead mode? after spending 100+ hours to Platinum FFXIII I guess 10 more hours of GOW won't hurt.

Combichristoffersen said:
L1 + O on
first stage of Hercules fight
with the
claws of Hades on level 1
. Profit.

ok thanks! gonna try that right now

JB1981

BruceLeeRoy said:

Really? Worst soundtrack in the trilogy by far imo. God of War 2 OST smokes it.

Combichristoffersen

JB1981 said:

I was about to quote your tag, but then I realized you're right. Sort of. GoW 3's soundtrack is by no means bad, but it suffers from the same problem as FF XII's soundtrack; it's just not quite as memorable as earlier entries in the franchise.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
but it suffers from the same problem as FF XII's soundtrack; it's just not quite as memorable as earlier entries in the franchise.
Ahh, another one of these...

FFXIIs OST is just as memorable as the other games OST. People shouldn't blame the game when it's clearly their own fault for not even trying to remember the songs...:lol

Combichristoffersen

Yoshichan said:
Ahh, another one of these...

FFXIIs OST is just as memorable as the other games OST. People shouldn't blame the game when it's clearly their own fault for not even trying to remember the songs...:lol

Don't get me wrong, I love FF XII, but the soundtrack is, besides the story kinda falling apart around the middle of the game, its weakest point. It's not bad, but it's just.. there. There aren't a lot of tunes that are as memorable as a lot of the music from the older games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to The Forge now, and it wasn't as good as I remember. I remember a slowish, plodding piece without all the cheesy choral ornamentation, much like the beginning, but then it devolves into the typical WE'RE IN HADES IN GOD OF WAR affair.

How can people in good conscience say GOWII>GoWIII? So you're saying that your jaw was on the floor more times in Two than Three? Fuck,
Cronos
beats the shit out of ANYTHING in GoWII. Don't get me wrong, II was a fantastic game, but III just blows it out of the water.

StuBurns

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
How can people in good conscience say GOWII>GoWIII? So you're saying that your jaw was on the floor more times in Two than Three? Fuck,
Cronos
beats the shit out of ANYTHING in GoWII. Don't get me wrong, II was a fantastic game, but III just blows it out of the water.
I can't even imagine someone thinking 3 is better than 2. Then again, I can't imagine anyone thinking 1 is better than 2, and I believe that's the general opinion on GAF.

Combichristoffersen

TacticalFox88 said:
Cronos

GoW II didn't have lol giant crates, so it's automatically better :p

StuBurns said:
I can't even imagine someone thinking 3 is better than 2. Then again, I can't imagine anyone thinking 1 is better than 2, and I believe that's the general opinion on GAF.

1 has the best story of the trilogy, 3 has the best combat and graphics, and 2 has the best everything else. AFAIK that's the general GAF opinion.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
all aboard this train

JB1981 said:

WHAT JB, CHRISTOFFERSEN ARE YOU GUYS CRAZY!
DragonPunch this:

OVERTURE - Best opening music in the series ever.

POSEIDONS WRATH
- Fighting Poseidon to this gave me chills.

ANTHEM OF THE DEAD - good lord I mean no explanation necessary.

DEPTHS OF HADES - 1:30sec in Best Fighting Music of the series.

FORGE OF HEPHAESTUS - damn I loved this guy

BROTHERS OF BLOOD

RAGE OF SPARTA
- This is simply the most kick ass song that has ever graced the series. Beating the unholy shit out of the gods while this plays was some exhilarating stuff.

All I can say is that while I loved the GOW2 OST I never thought about it again after I beat the game. I bought the damn OST for 3 I haven't done that for a videogame since MGS1 and Castlevania SOTN

Yoshichan

BruceLeeRoy said:
WHAT JB, CHRISTOFFERSEN ARE YOU GUYS CRAZY!
DragonPunch this:

OVERTURE - Best opening music in the series ever.

POSEIDONS WRATH
- Fighting Poseidon to this game me chills.

ANTHEM OF THE DEAD - good lord I mean no explanation necessary.

DEPTHS OF HADES - 1:30sec in Best Fighting Music of the series.

FORGE OF HEPHAESTUS - damn I loved this guy

BROTHERS OF BLOOD

RAGE OF SPARTA
- This is simply the most kick ass song that has ever graced the series. Beating the unholy shit out of the gods while this plays was some exhilarating stuff.

All I can say is that while I loved the GOW2 OST I never thought about it again after I beat the game. I bought the damn OST for 3 I haven't done that for a videogame since MGS1 and Castlevania SOTN
_This_

Edit: Fuck me, now I actually decided to listen to the two first links. This soundtrack is the god of everything.

finally started this game. decided to go on "normal" after all. I'm not that experienced in GOW.. glad i did, but might regret it later on.

awesome so far. camera takes some time to get used to and the R1 pressing is a bit tedious sometimes, but i love the gameplay. the first hour or so is just madness...

StuBurns said:

3 is my favorite but that's because its the latest one I have played. I got done with the collection when it came out and it impressed upon me how each game is phenomenal in its own right. I don't begrudge anyone that loves them in a different order than me since they all do things differently but in the end successfully.

StuBurns

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
3 is my favorite but that's because its the latest one I have played. I got done with the collection when it came out and it impressed upon me how each game is phenomenal in its own right. I don't begrudge anyone that loves them in a different order than me since they all do things differently but in the end successfully.
I don't 'begrudge' anyone for it either, it just stuns me. And that's not to say I think GoW1, 3 and even CoO aren't amazing, they are.

I know there are people who prefer Halo 2, Uncharted 1, lots of opinions I can't even believe.

1 has the best story of the trilogy, 3 has the best combat and graphics, and 2 has the best everything else. AFAIK that's the general GAF opinion.
If that's the case, then my opinion falls in line with GAFs perfectly, how pedestrian of me.

StuBurns said:
I know there are people who prefer Halo 2, Uncharted 1, lots of opinions I can't even believe.

Well I am right there with you on the Halo 2, Uncharted 1 opinion. Course I can't imagine anyone playing a GOW game on anything lower than normal but you explained why very well earlier.

nskinnear said:
I enjoyed the story and pacing in God of War II more. Everything else (combat, soundtrack, presentation) was better in God of War III.

Yeah that's exactly where it falls for me as well. I mean the combat is so freaking good in this one. I have always been a fan of the gameplay but they absolutely perfected it for 3. I was switching between almost all my weapons mid-combos which I never did in the previous 2.

Yoshichan

I have no clue what got me so hyped (who am I trying to kid? Clearly BruceLeeroy's hyping making me crazy with this music hype!) but I just remembered one of the best parts from GoW3... I just LOVE it. Many people probably won't find it special at all but
when Poseidon gets introduced and says "You challenge me, mortal! A GOD OF OLYMPUS?!" And how he slowly comes from the lower side of the screen
IS SO FUCKING EPIC. Ughhhhhh.

First boss spoilers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sS6U7pTrvs

<3!!!!

Top Bottom