• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Owzers

I guess for me, the game felt like an expansion pack to God of War 2 to finish out the storyline, which CAN be a good thing except the God of War formula sort of annoys me. Far to many times i died because i didn't know exactly what i was supposed to do or there was a hard to see quick time event analog stick movement. The scope of the game seemed incredibly small which was sometimes okay and sometimes disappointing, you traverse through the same enviroments several times. It does give things a connected feel, but it also makes an "epic adventure" seem rather contained. Not only that, but the formula FEELS old, it feels like it came out a year after God of War 2 released on PS2, which is a problem a LOT of games are having this generation, specifically Halo 3.

Side note: I don't think i'll ever be saddened if games would have me stop fighting giant scorpions/bats/spiders. RE 5 managed to have a more than one.

jmd494

Was disappointed with the challenges. The only one that was even remotely difficult was the "don't get gored/piled on" challenge. I beat all the challenges in <30 minutes and beat the last three on my first try.

And for the record, I'm not bragging at all. I SUCKED at the challenges in GoW I and II and had to use YouTube to complete them.

No worries though...I know Chaos mode will crush me! :lol

Raist

Banned
Bernbaum said:
- Too easy.

- Way too easy. I found all the upgrade items and fully maxed out my weapons with buckets of orbs to spare. End boss was a cake walk.

Yeah, I’ve only completed it on normal

That's your problem, right there :p
Although it's true that the final boss is far from being the hardest challenge in the game.
But anyways, you HAVE to play on Titan, at least.

Amir0x

Banned
oh god i'm literally going through God of War III withdrawl. I can't get into any game right now, no matter what it is. It feels so boring next to the sights and sounds of God of War III. It's like I'm just waiting for a motherfuckin' TITAN to show up during Bioshock 2 multiplayer sessions, and it just doesn't happen :(

Amir0x said:
oh god i'm literally going through God of War III withdrawl. I can't get into any game right now, no matter what it is. It feels so boring next to the sights and sounds of God of War III. It's like I'm just waiting for a motherfuckin' TITAN to show up during Bioshock 2 multiplayer sessions, and it just doesn't happen :(

:lol Yes! Your cursed just like me Amir0x! I have Assassins Creed 2 to finish and Mass Effect 2 just staring at me but I can't imagine anything entertaining me as much as GOW3 just did.

My latest pathetic habit has been to show off the beginning fight to as many people as possible just to live vicariously through the shock and awe they experience.

Your cursed!!

Struct09

Amir0x said:

I've been experiencing this as well. I played a couple hours of Bayonetta, but it just wasn't satisfying. So I popped in the God of War Collection, and that helped a little bit. Only a matter of time before I give in and replay III.

Amir0x

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
:lol Yes! Your cursed just like me Amir0x! I have Assassins Creed 2 to finish and Mass Effect 2 just staring at me but I can't imagine anything entertaining me as much as GOW3 just did.

My latest pathetic habit has been to show off the beginning fight to as many people as possible just to live vicariously through the shock and awe they experience.

Your cursed!!

I've been showing the fight to people too. :(

I've seriously never felt like I couldn't be arsed to play another game before. This is the first time I've ever experience "post-traumatic game syndrome." It only takes about thirty minutes into any game now before I just roll my eyes and go "boring, turn this shit up to eleven and then we'll talk."

Amir0x said:

I've seriously never felt like I couldn't be arsed to play another game before. This is the first time I've ever experience "post-traumatic game syndrome." It only takes about thirty minutes into any game now before I just roll my eyes and go "boring, turn this shit up to eleven and then we'll talk."

Yeah I haven't ever felt it to this degree either.

I think after I beat the game on chaos I am just going to take a break from games for a while just to kind of cleanse my brain from the epicness and then hopefully when Alan Wake rolls around ill be excited to play something that isn't God of War.

astroturfing said:
so i haven't really touched a hack 'n slash game since the original Devil May Cry... thought i'd give this one a chance.

played for a couple hours...

WHAT THE FUCK. WHAT KIND OF SORCERY IS THIS!?

:lol :lol :lol

crispyben

Is it possible to get the "Maxed Out" trophy on Spartan difficulty? I guess that's what I'm playing since I get the "Easy Mode" prompt when I die too much (yeah, I suck). I don't want to drop it to Easy just to get more Red Orbs...

X-Burner

Banned
crispyben said:
Is it possible to get the "Maxed Out" trophy on Spartan difficulty? I guess that's what I'm playing since I get the "Easy Mode" prompt when I die too much (yeah, I suck). I don't want to drop it to Easy just to get more Red Orbs...
You can get it on any difficulty. I got it on my first playthrough on Titan

Alastor

My 15 years old cousine, who knows nothing about the GoW series played the whole epic beginning of the game and keep asking questions (who's bad and who's good here? why this horse look so weird?), not focusing on the things happening on screen at all. Ultimately, she found the game boring and wanted to play Fifa 10 demo instead.

She loves GTA games though.

Kids these days...

Chuckie

Justin Dailey said:
Was disappointed with the challenges. The only one that was even remotely difficult was the "don't get gored/piled on" challenge.

Which was actually one of the easiest for me.

With the last (and only difficult) wave I ran like a little girl... fell of the edge accidentally but grabbed it.... and all the minotaurs and mindless foot soldiers ran after me and fell in the pit. When I climbed back on the platform, there was one pathetic soldier left.

This might actually be a strategy come to think of it :lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Tence said:
Which was actually one of the easiest for me.

With the last (and only difficult) wave I ran like a little girl... fell of the edge accidentally but grabbed it.... and all the minotaurs and mindless foot soldiers ran after me and fell in the pit. When I climbed back on the platform, there was one pathetic soldier left.

This might actually be a strategy come to think of it :lol

That's essentially what I did; I stood at the edge, and when the minotaur charged at me, I did a double jump right before it hit me, causing it to run over the edge, and after that I killed the grunts. Rince and repeat to complete :lol It was an overall easy challenge IMO, the ones I had the most trouble with were 'bare hands', 'get stoned' and the one where you had to smash all the urns.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Combichristoffersen said:
That's essentially what I did; I stood at the edge, and when the minotaur charged at me, I did a double jump right before it hit me, causing it to run over the edge, and after that I killed the grunts. Rince and repeat to complete :lol It was an overall easy challenge IMO, the ones I had the most trouble with were 'bare hands', 'get stoned' and the one where you had to smash all the urns.

I just used Icarus for the first two minotaur-waves, jump off the edge, fly back. The first two waves of sentries I used the battering ram, throwing the sentry used as ram off the arena. The last wave I unleashed Rage-mode and killed everything save one minotaur who was in PRESS CIRCLE TO AWESOMEKILL ME-mode.

rhino4evr

so I started a new game on Easy mode..to just get the remaining trophies and go through the experience again. The difference in difficulty is crazy. You dont even have to try on Easy mode. You could just spam the attack button until an enemy dies. It's sad that people even play this way.

I felt Normal was the perfect difficulty for me. I still needed to block and counter quite a bit, but it wasnt a complete neccesity to survive.

Raist

Banned
rhino4evr said:
so I started a new game on Easy mode..to just get the remaining trophies and go through the experience again. The difference in difficulty is crazy. You dont even have to try on Easy mode. You could just spam the attack button until an enemy dies. It's sad that people even play this way.

I felt Normal was the perfect difficulty for me. I still needed to block and counter quite a bit, but it wasnt a complete neccesity to survive.

True men don't kill coyotes play on Chaos mode.

Chuckie

neorej said:
I just used Icarus for the first two minotaur-waves, jump off the edge, fly back. The first two waves of sentries I used the battering ram, throwing the sentry used as ram off the arena. The last wave I unleashed Rage-mode and killed everything save one minotaur who was in PRESS CIRCLE TO AWESOMEKILL ME-mode.

That actually sounds like a good strategy.....very unlike me running away not knowing what to do :D

kodt

Banned
Did anyone else notice that you can grind on the
cronos battle
?

There is a phase where you are
on his arm and he tries to crush you with his hand, waves and waves of enemies keep spawning you can get infinite red orbs here.
I got about 4000 orbs here before getting bored, but I could have maxed everything out with patience.

Dave1988

kodt said:
Did anyone else notice that you can grind on the
cronos battle
?

There is a phase where you are
on his arm and he tries to crush you with his hand, waves and waves of enemies keep spawning you can get infinite red orbs here.
I got about 4000 orbs here before getting bored, but I could have maxed everything out with patience.

You can also grind in the part with the
skeleton Cyclops.

a0037809_4bbc2e2a31661.jpg

a0037809_4bbc2e4655cca.jpg

I've found few texture streaming bugs in GOW3, and I'd like to report this to SCE Santa Monica studio, but I don't know where to. Perhaps it'd be better to send e-mail to Tim Moss, or Christer Ericson. Anyone knows their e-mail address? I believe these bugs can easily be fixed with a patch update.

BeeDog

MazingerDUDE said:
http://pds16.egloos.com/pds/201004/07/09/a0037809_4bbc2e2a31661.jpg

http://pds16.egloos.com/pds/201004/07/09/a0037809_4bbc2e4655cca.jpg

I've found few texture streaming bugs in GOW3, and I'd like to report this to SCE Santa Monica studio, but I don't know where to. Perhaps it'd be better to send e-mail to Tim Moss, or Christer Ericson. Anyone knows their e-mail? I believe these bugs can easily be fixed with a patch update.

lolwut

I've only ever seen the first "version" when I've played the game. :eek: Always assumed that was just a shitty texture.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WAT! It's been like that forever (the shitty textures) for me :lol

HBroward

GAF, I have been experiencing a weird issue with this game. I have the MGS 80 gb PS3 model. My issue has to do with the game(controller?) freezing on the menu screen. For instance, if I pause the game by bringing up the menu with the start button, and come back to it ~10 minutes later, the game is unresponsive. But the strange thing is, normally the dualshock 3 will power off after some short period of being left alone (to save power), but with GoW3, the red light on the dualshock never turns off. The buttons remain completely unresponsive, pressing the PS button does nothing, but the controller still shows itself as connected with the red indicator light on. It doesn't exhibit this behavior with any other game I've tested. Anytime it happens I have to power down the console manually. So I've read the patch for GoW3 addressed controllers losing connectivity, and since my console had never experienced this prior to playing GoW3 (which I started after the release of the patch), could the patch have caused this issue? The issue being that my controller seems to get stuck in a half on/off state. Has anyone experienced anything similar to my problem? I have tried multiple copies of GoW3, and plugging the dualshock into the PS3 after the problem materializes doesn't seem to help. It'll start charging, but the buttons remain unresponsive. Phew, essay over, thanks for any help in advance!

Filldough

Amir0x said:

GOW3 ruined my FFXIII playthru :( 30+ hours and I can't stand the thought of finishing it and I have no idea why. I was enjoying it plenty...

Just Cause 2 is distracting me lately and I'm hoping Red Dead Redemption will be as kick ass as it is in my mind but yeah... GOW3 redefined epic for me.

Classic24

Banned
my MGS4 80 gig ps3 froze once while playing god of war 3 in the caverns when I was swinging like a monkey....I did not encounter the problems u are having though

Teknoman

Ok hard is just ridiculous for certain bosses. Wtf at satyrs spawning while fighting
the flame cerberus at the bottom of the chain
. Either i'm doing something horribly wrong, or hard just gets frustrating during enemy rushes/certain boss fights with minions.

jred2k

Yay just got platinum. Titan was frustrating at parts, but I loved that it makes you enter every battle with a solid strategy or else you end up dead. However, I don't think I'll ever be man enough for Chaos.

Lince

Banned
Yoshichan said:
WAT! It's been like that forever (the shitty textures) for me :lol

same here... and I played that part like 5 times, is there a way to trigger the loading of the actual good-looking texture?

ZeroRay

Man, I can't get enough of this game.

Anybody hoping for a DLC announcement soon so we can get more Kratos killing action?

*prays the Spartans Stand Tall site isn't for a GOW PSP game*

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MazingerDUDE said:
http://pds16.egloos.com/pds/201004/07/09/a0037809_4bbc2e2a31661.jpg

http://pds16.egloos.com/pds/201004/07/09/a0037809_4bbc2e4655cca.jpg

I've found few texture streaming bugs in GOW3, and I'd like to report this to SCE Santa Monica studio, but I don't know where to. Perhaps it'd be better to send e-mail to Tim Moss, or Christer Ericson. Anyone knows their e-mail address? I believe these bugs can easily be fixed with a patch update.

Moss is a GAF member, so you could try a PM. He's also on Twitter, which you can probably find with Google.

BeeDog said:
I've only ever seen the first "version" when I've played the game. :eek: Always assumed that was just a shitty texture.

Such texture quality isn't seen even in GoWII. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
to be fair, they are probably well aware of the texture issue there

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
ZeroRay said:
Man, I can't get enough of this game.

Anybody hoping for a DLC announcement soon so we can get more Kratos killing action?

*prays the Spartans Stand Tall site isn't for a GOW PSP game*

Is there any hint AT ALL that this game might get some DLC? I thought it was a pretty complete package.

OH lordy lordy lord, I am officially at the "Top of the Labyrinth". I thought I'd comment on what just transpired.

FUCK ME MAN, fighting those waves and waves of Bulls, those shield-wielding monsters, and the banshee ladies had to be one of the most intense, balls out rampages I've ever had in a video game. I swear during this part Kratos was an extension of myself and I commanded the beast like he was one of my own goddamn limbs! I built up an amazing rhythm with the Nemean Cestus weapon, clearing waves with the Crushing Strike, bull rushing right in with the Augean Stampede, and if things got hairy, I'd leap up into the air with my Icarus Wings, dash backwards with the Hermes Rush. Just as those bastards think I'm retreating, I leap up again, dash forward above the horde, and bring down the pain with the Air Crushing Strike. This was VIOLENT. Kratos was drenched with blood throughout the entire battle. The Nemean Cestus has to be the most satisfying weapon I've ever had the pleasure of using. The sound and feeling you get when you punch and bludgeon your opponent is visceral as to be addicting. I love the feeling of combat that's up close and personal. And if we know anything about Kratos, this business is PERSONAL.

And goddamn whoever wrote the music score for that scene knew what he was doing. I was PUMPED through that entire thing. By the end of it, I had barely energy left and expended most of my magic. But I wanted MORE!!!!

WHAT A RUSH!!!

So it was alright.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
M_A_C said:
How is a texture loading in a "bug"? Almost all games have streaming textures now.

The fact people have said all they've seen is the low-res texture suggests something is getting in the way of the texture loading correctly.

Top Bottom