• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

jett

D-Member
StuBurns said:
I can't even imagine someone thinking 3 is better than 2. Then again, I can't imagine anyone thinking 1 is better than 2, and I believe that's the general opinion on GAF.

Maybe you should replay GOW2?

Just based on the combat system alone I put GOW3 higher. I played through most of GOW2 just before GOW3's release(and after the GOW3 demo 50 times), and there's just a big difference. I played GOW2 on hard and it just felt like a chore to go through. That game rewards repetitiveness to get through pretty much every enemy encounter.

I'm on my third GOW3 playthrough, on chaos, an despite the crazy difficulty I'm still having fun with it.

StuBurns

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Well I am right there with you on the Halo 2, Uncharted 1 opinion. Course I can't imagine anyone playing a GOW game on anything lower than normal but you explained why very well earlier.
That could have something to do with my preferences actually. As I guess I die less than the average gamer, as I play on easier settings, the pacing is probably fairly different.

But just in terms of level design and overarching game structure, I think GoW2 is much better.

EDIT: Jett, just played it thru a little over a month ago, GoW1 as well, and I just played CoO like two days ago.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly confident that when all is said and done, a generation or two from now when both God 2 and 3 look dated, I will have a much easier time going back to God 2.

As a game it is just so much more interesting. As someone who only plays on Normal and doesn't believe the combat system can adequately support itself under the own weight of higher difficulties to a degree that I actually find satisfying rather than masochistic, God 2 just delivers on basically every front in a much more satisfying way.

God 3 feels like a game made within the scope of all other games surrounding it, God 2 feels almost like a RE4-alike (though, not quite to that level, I don't think there has been a game like it since it was released). As in, how the fuck did they manage to cram so much excellently conceived shit into this, wowza. The amount of different, amazingly good things you do in God 2 are enormous. God 3 felt like a total side-step, in that regard.

jett said:
I'm on my third GOW3 playthrough, on chaos, an despite the crazy difficulty I'm still having fun with it.

Combat is just so damn solid in 3. Even though some parts are frustrating as hell for me Its still so satisfying getting through a hard section because you timed all your counters and combos perfectly.

Yoshichan said:
I have no clue what got me so hyped (who am I trying to kid? Clearly BruceLeeroy's hyping making me crazy with this music hype!) but I just remembered one of the best parts from GoW3... I just LOVE it. Many people probably won't find it special at all but
when Poseidon gets introduced and says "You challenge me, mortal! A GOD OF OLYMPUS?!" And how he slowly comes from the lower side of the screen
IS SO FUCKING EPIC. Ughhhhhh.

First boss spoilers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sS6U7pTrvs

<3!!!!

:lol Yeah I love that part. Its details like the Poseidon battle that just put this game above everything else presentation wise.

Rez said:
I'm fairly confident that when all is said and done, a generation or two from now when both God 2 and 3 look dated, I will have a much easier time going back to God 2.

As a game it is just so much more interesting. As someone who only plays on Normal and doesn't believe the combat system can adequately support itself under the own weight of higher difficulties to a degree that I actually find satisfying rather than masochistic, God 2 just delivers on basically every front in a much more satisfying way.

God 3 feels like a game made within the scope of all other games surrounding it, God 2 feels almost like a RE4-alike (though, not quite to that level, I don't think there has been a game like it since it was released). As in, how the fuck did they manage to cram so much excellently conceived shit into this, wowza. The amount of different, amazingly good things you do in God 2 are enormous. God 3 felt like a total side-step, in that regard.

See I loved the feeling of travel from God 2 and the overall scope of the game more than 3 but man there were some sections in that game that were so unbelievably fu#$ing annoying and hard that when I finished it I never wanted to pick it up again. Feeling nostalgic I had to play the HD version before 3 and there are still definitely some parts that I could see people putting the controller down and never returning to. I think when you also take into account that SSM had to build their engine from scratch and that the game had to look better than anything else out on the system while juggling the departure of Cory and the scope of the project 3 is a absolute miracle being as fantastic as it is.

jett

D-Member
Rez said:

That's true for GOW2, but not for GOW3. For me GOW2 defintely is not very satisfying, at least not on subsequent playthroughs.

The amount of different, amazingly good things you do in God 2 are enormous.

What are all these different, amazingly good things?

StuBurns

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
See I loved the feeling of travel from God 2 and the overall scope of the game more than 3 but man there were some sections in that game that were so unbelievably fu#$ing annoying and hard that when I finished it I never wanted to pick it up again. Feeling nostalgic I had to play the HD version before 3 and there are still definitely some parts that I could see people putting the controller down and never returning to. I think when you also take into account that SSM had to build their engine from scratch and that the game had to look better than anything else out on the system while juggling the departure of Cory and the scope of the project 3 is a absolute miracle being as fantastic as it is.
See I never had any of that frustration, because I played it on easy. So I guess because I never had to really master the combat in any sense, and never had to redo sections, I get very distorted views on the games. Although I hate to be one of the people discrediting someones experience because it doesn't 'fit' what I think, and especially when the person I'm discrediting is in fact me, but playing it on 'normal', is probably the most accurate experience of what the designers intended. So if my view is out of kilter with the majority, that is perhaps why.

There are just some unthinkably wank decisions in GoW3, just personified by the
GH mini game
but moments of pure genius, it has what I consider the finest GoW puzzle so far
Echochrome
, so for me, it's a very mixed bag in terms of design.

dream

Rez said:

Holy shit, that just completely nails my feelings on 2 vs 3 in a way I never could quite figure out how to articulate.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

jett said:
That's true for GOW2, but not for GOW3. For me GOW2 defintely is not very satisfying, at least not on subsequent playthroughs.

What are all these different, amazingly good things?
re: difficulty
That's true, I haven't tried a harder run through in God 3 yet. I probably will the next time I have a bit of down time without anything else to play.

re: why I like it more
The level design 'gimmicks' in God 2 just worked better for me. Simple things like a sudden change of colour palette, a totally new area to explore, a sudden-death trap area, the falling bridge sequence, the flying sections, the fall down the canyon with Icarus, time-travel mirror bits, the boss-fights and on and on and on. Each part of God 2 just worked for me in a way that felt totally unforced and well-thought out, whereas God 3, probably as a result of my exposure to everything that's come out between God 2 and 3, feels much more by the numbers. Uninspired, if you'd like. I wish post history search is on, because I'm sure I've articulated myself better on this discussion in the past, but ah well.

I shouldn't have to add this at the end, but it's worth repeating that I liked God 3, I just really, really loved God 2. It one of those games I look back on and think 'shit, good on the team who made that, I can't believe they managed to do all of that in that in one game'.

re: THE FUUUUUuuUuUuUuTRE
I'd be very interested to see a God 4 or something similar on the PS3 now that a lot of the technical tomfoolery is dealt with.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Also, this "God 3, 2, 1" bullshit needs to go away.

It's called GoW.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshichan said:
Also, this "God 3, 2, 1" bullshit needs to go away.

It's called GoW.
there's another game that shares that, Gears of Wrath or something

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
Gears 1,2,3 sounds much better than God 1,2,3

Fuck Epic, in fact, Epic call them that, fuck gamers.
that's why I call them Gears 1 and 2 and these God 1, 2 and 3.

It seems like a non-issue.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dude Abides said:
What an odd complaint.
It makes me rage more than anything.
Ballistictiger said:
God of war came before gears, so it's GOW3 and Gears of war is Gears.

Man, I put in some good hours today while I was home sick. I went from
cutting off Hermes legs for some Air Jordans, bashing in Hercules face into nothingness, then fucking up Kronos, and then digging up in Aphrodite's guts for the second time.

Now I'm at
Hera's Garden

I've been playing on Titan Mode and loving it.

Yoshichan

StuBurns said:
Fatal Frame, Fatal Fury, Freedom Force or Final Fight? Which is more deserving?
Final Fantasy?

Le-mo

I beat all the Challenge of Olympus except for the bare hands challenge. I keep pushing the grunts towards the two iron man trying to knock them out of the ring, but there seems to be some collision problem with the grunts not colliding with the iron man. Anyone have any other tips?

Le-mo

OMFG, I managed to knock the two iron man and the cyclops off the arena with 7 seconds to spare, but the fking slow respawning rate of the grunts made me fail. FK THIS SHIT.

Porkepik

Just finished it today on normal difficulty, was perfect for me, just had to try numerous times the first 2 fights with zeus. Scope of the game is amazing , loved it. Thx sony

jett

D-Member
Rez said:
re: why I like it more
The level design 'gimmicks' in God 2 just worked better for me. Simple things like a sudden change of colour palette, a totally new area to explore, a sudden-death trap area, the falling bridge sequence, the flying sections, the fall down the canyon with Icarus, time-travel mirror bits, the boss-fights and on and on and on. Each part of God 2 just worked for me in a way that felt totally unforced and well-thought out, whereas God 3, probably as a result of my exposure to everything that's come out between God 2 and 3, feels much more by the numbers. Uninspired, if you'd like. I wish post history search is on, because I'm sure I've articulated myself better on this discussion in the past, but ah well.

Well I disagree on a lot of what you said, except that GOW2 has more natural progression and pacing, although on that note personally GOW1 is still the best

Boss fights for example. I thought overall that they were really weak in GOW2(I even prefer the three in the first game to the 10 or whatever there are in the sequel), and GOW3 blows it the fuck away.

Or the flying sections, which for me are not that great and much prefer the Icarus Lift sections of GOW3.

Or the Icarus "fight", awesome then, but easily bested now by a lot of the craziness displayed in GOW3, like the Poseidon kill-cam.

And the time travel mirrors crap I hated in GOW2, actually I kind of disliked the plot in that game, GOW2 is responsible for turning Kratos into a mindless REVENGE! REVEEEEENGE! retard. In GOW1 he somewhat had depth and character development...GOW3 had to do the best it could with the idiocy left by GOW2, even going as far as retconning stuff(which I'm glad it did, always hated the retarded use of Pandora's Box in GOW1) to give back Kratos some of the depth that was sucked out.

In terms of level design and stuff I'm of the belief that the ideas they had for GOW3 were just too much for the team at the time and had to scale back a lot/leave a bunch of stuff n the table. Just looking at the first trailer there are things that are gone or greatly altered in the final game, Gaia seems a lot smaller(it seemed like she had a fully-fledged forest on her, or at least that a decent chunk of the game took place on her), the idea of the titans being chained is gone(and Kratos having to break those chains), Kratos wrestling with a cyclops while a titan is moving all over the place was only used once in the game and not quite as awesome as it looked then, in any case they streamlined that greatly. I think the development of the technology took too much time.

I can understand why people prefer the stages in GOW2, but for me none of that is enough to offset the now extremely simplistic and dated combat. Not only is it simplistic, but like I said on anything beyond normal difficulty the game forces you to not mix shit up. Square-Square-Triangle is actually the best way to get through the game. You try different shit and you're punished with death. And that shit let me tell ya gets tired. :p As someone who has played GOW2 a couple of times through, it's just not really fun to play anymore.

Le-mo said:
OMFG, I managed to knock the two iron man and the cyclops off the arena with 7 seconds to spare, but the fking slow respawning rate of the grunts made me fail. FK THIS SHIT.
If the big three are gone, why are you not just ripping the rest of the "grunts" in half with triangle?

jett said:
In terms of level design and stuff I'm of the belief that the ideas they had for GOW3 were just too much for the team at the time and had to scale back a lot/leave a bunch of stuff n the table. Just looking at the first trailer there are things that are gone or greatly altered in the final game, Gaia seems a lot smaller(it seemed like she had a fully-fledged forest on her, or at least that a decent chunk of the game took place on her), the idea of the titans being chained is gone(and Kratos having to break those chains), Kratos wrestling with a cyclops while a titan is moving all over the place was only used once in the game and not quite as awesome as it looked then, in any case they streamlined that greatly. I think the development of the technology took too much time.

I can understand why people prefer the stages in GOW2, but for me none of that is enough to offset the now extremely simplistic and dated combat. Not only is it simplistic, but like I said on anything beyond normal difficulty the game forces you to not mix shit up. Square-Square-Triangle is actually the best way to get through the game. You try different shit and you're punished with death. And that shit let me tell ya gets tired. :p As someone who has played GOW2 a couple of times through, it's just not really fun to play anymore.

Yeah you can definitely see where the team had to scale back and make sacrifices. I absolutely cannot wait for whatever SSM is doing next especially since a 2nd Generation GoW by them would probably make my mind melt.

koene

jett said:
Well I disagree on a lot of what you said, except that GOW2 has more natural progression and pacing, although on that note personally GOW1 is still the best

Boss fights for example. I thought overall that they were really weak in GOW2(I even prefer the three in the first game to the 10 or whatever there are in the sequel), and GOW3 blows it the fuck away.

I don't agree with you on that. I think the Sisters of Faith is still one of the most well designed bossbattle in the series. The collosus of Rhodes is also one of my favorites. Especially the part where you fight the bastard from inside. Come to think of it, it's kinda like a shot at a Titan battle...
So yeah, I found the bossbattles in GoW II pretty amazing for it's time.

Bernbaum

I finished it over a week ago, and after sleeping on it, here are my impressions on the game:

Good stuff:

+ Great pacing. People thought the game tapered off in the last third but I couldn’t disagree more. Kratos’ actions had a very ominous tone and he felt more ‘alone’ in his vendetta against the Gods. I loved the Labyrinth!
+ Genius level design. Fuck me, no-one does this better- Returning to previous areas in the game at sometimes surprising intervals helped develop a feeling of familiarity between the player and the game world. One of my favorite things about the GoW series.
+ Unmatched epic scale. Needs no explanation.
+ Visually impressive. I couldn’t give a shit about resolution, AA, FPS or any of that crap. The game looks amazing and the visual style is perfect. The game could have been less flashy and I would still come away impressed. I didn’t get the impression the game was trying to push the hardware beyond its capability and can’t recall any issues with texture-pop-in, tearing or any other of those symptoms. Draw distance was amazing.
+ Art style. Immediately appealing to a broad player base, but unique enough not to come across as derivative. I love the GoW look.
+ Flying parts. Weeeeeeeeeeee! Provided a nice breather from combat without dragging on for too long, controlled very well and looked amazing. Weeeeeeeeeee!
+ First person perspective parts. Fucking genius- both from Kratos’ perspective, and from his victims. Felt really visceral and in-your-face yet somehow looked and moved completely different from a first person shooter.
+ Animated cutscenes. I liked the pseudo-comic book silhouette style. Design was original yet consistent with the game’s visuals and mythos.
+ No fucking around. You put the disc in and a few minutes later you’re fucking up all the Gods’ shit.
+ Animation. Apparently this game had no physics and was all pre-cooked. Good. Scenery crumbling away and wobbling bosoms all looked great.
+ Titan fights. An amazing feat from both a gameplay and technical perspective. So much happening on screen- climbing up Chrono’s arm whilst fending off skeletons while a bunch of shit happens in the background. Wow.

Not so good stuff:

- Too easy. Yeah, I’ve only completed it on normal, so what, but the only real challenging bits of non-boss combat seemed to be packed into the last third. Many a time I would stroll happily past health chests.
- Way too easy. I found all the upgrade items and fully maxed out my weapons with buckets of orbs to spare. End boss was a cake walk.
-Blocking. Parrying and countering felt a bit squishy. In the world of fruit, Bayonetta is an apple and GoWIII is an orange, but I think Bayonetta’s perfect blocking system has left me spoilt.
- The only GoW game I’ve played with noticeable glitches. Nothing major, but I never had a problem with Kratos getting stuck on scenery or suffering weird animation effects in previous games. Graphics were smooth though.
- Not enough puzzles. GoW have always had great level-based puzzles. GoWIII had maybe two or three, but only one that I can really remember- Hera’s Garden- possibly one of the best conceived puzzles in the series. Still, it wasn’t enough.

Stuff that is kinda good, kinda bad:

* High emphasis on boss fights. All the encounters with Olympians and Titans were jaw-dropping, but I would have enjoyed a higher presence of encounters against swarms of vanilla enemies. Regular enemy fights were a bit bland- in previous games, a fight against say, skeleton warriors would be interrupted by the appearance of a spawning Minotaur, requiring the player to quickly adapt from a ‘crowd control’ strategy, to slower heavy attacks. In GoWIII, a fight against a cyclops was typically followed up by a fight with another cyclops. Yawn. I was rarely kept on my toes like in previous games and I’m not sure whether it is a result of laziness or exhausted creativity on Santa Monica’s part.
* Combat is a bit plain. Not as deep as other games, BUT, it ensures the pacing keeps the narrative going at a nice clip and allows the game to achieve its cinematic aims.

I had more thoughts on it, but can't remember...

Yoboman

I would say it tapered off in the last third as far as pacing went only because on Titan I was repeating boss fights numerous times (pretty much from
scorpion
onwards and they were all directly after each other (pretty much). I don't think the pacing was bad, probably just due to the bosses being so hard. Cerberus and scorpion bosses really shouldn't have been as hard as they were IMO

Yoboman

Bernbaum said:
I finished it over a week ago, and after sleeping on it, here are my impressions on the game:

Not so good stuff:

- Too easy. Yeah, I’ve only completed it on normal, so what, but the only real challenging bits of non-boss combat seemed to be packed into the last third. Many a time I would stroll happily past health chests.
- Way too easy. I found all the upgrade items and fully maxed out my weapons with buckets of orbs to spare. End boss was a cake walk.
-Blocking. Parrying and countering felt a bit squishy. In the world of fruit, Bayonetta is an apple and GoWIII is an orange, but I think Bayonetta’s perfect blocking system has left me spoilt.

Stuff that is kinda good, kinda bad:

* High emphasis on boss fights. All the encounters with Olympians and Titans were jaw-dropping, but I would have enjoyed a higher presence of encounters against swarms of vanilla enemies. Regular enemy fights were a bit bland- in previous games, a fight against say, skeleton warriors would be interrupted by the appearance of a spawning Minotaur, requiring the player to quickly adapt from a ‘crowd control’ strategy, to slower heavy attacks. In GoWIII, a fight against a cyclops was typically followed up by a fight with another cyclops. Yawn. I was rarely kept on my toes like in previous games and I’m not sure whether it is a result of laziness or exhausted creativity on Santa Monica’s part.
* Combat is a bit plain. Not as deep as other games, BUT, it ensures the pacing keeps the narrative going at a nice clip and allows the game to achieve its cinematic aims.

I had more thoughts on it, but can't remember...
You really should play on Titan then

I agree with blocking/parrying. Wasn't quite as reliable as you like

I disagree with the combat. It's really good, I haven't played normal but I felt like the game made me pretty much use everything in my arsenal. I loved the combat because it felt like everything was useful and there for a reason. Not necessarily just stylish for the sake of it

jett said:

Throughout the entire game, I was really waiting to get to that part (the part from the trailer)... :-(

Back when I saw that trailer, I'd never played a GOW before, so it's just now that I realize that that was supposed to be on Gaia... Wow. It sure would've been great if the titans were that big!

Gigglepoo

Rez said:

I'm right there with you. I played through GoW2 right after finishing the third game and was surprised at how much more varied and interesting it was. They're both incredible, but GoW2 is an all-time classic in my eyes.

Man, I wish the ending wasn't so hamfisted about everything. They really beat you over the head with the message.

Overall, really stunning stuff though. Love the Echochrome and Portal nods :D And the game has really excellent pacing.

There's a lot of good stuff to talk about, so the bad:

- The titans were huge, but the trailers really overpromised on that front. I wish they wouldn't have shown them, because I kept hoping they'd appear as they did in the trailer and they really didn't. the whole huge forest thing was so awesome :(

-
Poseidon
felt almost out of place... like I wish I was fighting a different god there. I'd want some
major ocean stuff to go on with Poseidon
, so it feels a little like they cheated with him. It was a great opening though.

- Hera's model was awful compared to the rest of the game, and Pandora's wasn't too great either (the hair looked... really strange).

I felt like I needed to come in here and express the amount of excitement I’m feeling right now. :D

So I’ve been working my way up for the first time starting from the original, which I thought was good, not great....just good.

The second one was better in every single way and was amazing. Fighting the sisters and the whole ending sequence = wow!

So now I’m finally up to God of War III. I played the first hour and came running to GAF. My thoughts: SOOO INCREDIBLE!!!

Seriously, the intro was just insane! I haven’t been this excited over a videogame in a very long time! I’ve been missing out!

Lince

Banned
Finally got my Platinum (and playing on the hardest mode right now). This is the definitive GOW by far, the combat is better in every way, specially playing on anything above Normal difficulty the game is both challenging and rewarding, an instant classic and the best or one of the best PS3 games right there with Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2. I can't wait for the next Santa Monica project now that they're free from the burden of developing such a colossal engine.

so much power!

Tricky I Shadow said:
I felt like I needed to come in here and express the amount of excitement I’m feeling right now. :D

So I’ve been working my way up for the first time starting from the original, which I thought was good, not great....just good.

The second one was better in every single way and was amazing. Fighting the sisters and the whole ending sequence = wow!

So now I’m finally up to God of War III. I played the first hour and came running to GAF. My thoughts: SOOO INCREDIBLE!!!

Seriously, the intro was just insane! I haven’t been this excited over a videogame in a very long time! I’ve been missing out!

Great ready for a unforgettable ride man. I envy your fresh eyes.

Bernbaum said:

- Too easy.
If you have played a GOW game before and you want a challenge why would you ever play it on Normal? That's a moot complaint as far as I am concerned.

- Combat / Blocking.
The combat in 3 is easily the best of all the games. It is by far the most balanced and polished. Also once you get the timing window of the blocking down you can do it with ease even mid combo.(Though I agree with you on Bayonetta they implemented it perfectly in that game). For instance going through on Chaos I have beaten almost every difficult section this time(Poseidon, Trials of Hades, Hades) just fighting all out and using the blocking system. I got through the Trials without sustaining one hit and just beat Hades with only half my life bar down.

So I know I already said this was my new favorite game earlier in the thread. But now that I am one trophy away from Platinum I just have to say I want to make sweet love to this game. Sony Santa Monica you guys fucking rock, you guys have made my year possibly even my decade in gaming awesomeness. Sorry Uncharted 2 but this game just crapped all over the half-tuck (<3 you still ND).

Everything is perfect: the awesome voice acting and music, the silky smooth performance, the incredible animations and textures, and the unmatched epic scale and pacing that continues relentlessly from beginning to end. I fucking love this game and as I just said if I could ever make sweet love to a game this would be it. But I guess I could settle for doing that in the game :lol. Stig you done good :D. In before "wow" "is this serious?" or any of the like responses :p Can't a man make sweet love to his gaming nirvana in peace?!? XD

Bottom line: Awesome game is OMFGWTFAMAZINGEPICHOLYSHIT Awesome :D

beast786

Yoshichan said:
I have no clue what got me so hyped (who am I trying to kid? Clearly BruceLeeroy's hyping making me crazy with this music hype!) but I just remembered one of the best parts from GoW3... I just LOVE it. Many people probably won't find it special at all but
when Poseidon gets introduced and says "You challenge me, mortal! A GOD OF OLYMPUS?!" And how he slowly comes from the lower side of the screen
IS SO FUCKING EPIC. Ughhhhhh.

First boss spoilers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sS6U7pTrvs

<3!!!!

My most epic part was when
( as soon as gaia punches poseidon , kratos was on her fist and heuses the momentum in the air and grabs poseidon from the monsters heart and throws him on the wall, while seeing the forward and a backward whiplash of the monster/poseidon)
PURE FREAKING EPIC

beast786 said:
My most epic part was when
( as soon as gaia punches poseidon , kratos was on her fist and heuses the momentum in the air and grabs poseidon from the monsters heart and throws him on the wall, while seeing the forward and a backward whiplash of the monster/poseidon)
PURE FREAKING EPIC

BruceLeeRoy said:
I played the Poseidon fight yesterday with a bunch of my friends and the collective HOLY SHIT that was uttered during this scene was so funny.

302c28z.jpg

The composition of this shot is just fantastic stuff.

Ha I do concur good sir!

kodt

Banned
I'm about half-way through GOW3 after just playing through GOW1 and GOW2 on the collection disc over the past few weeks.

So far I put GOW2 as the best one easily. The combat in 2 is so much more refined than 1, and while 3 refines it further, I don't think the environments are as interesting. Graphics are definitely sweet but so far I have found much of the level design to be forgettable with a few exceptions of course.

One major complaint is the quick time symbols blend too much with the background, I think the placement make it easier to know which button to hit, but I am using a 106" projector screen at 10 feet distance, sometimes you don't notice the circle icon in the corner and fail..... The colors don't pop enough (Green triangle, blue X).

Also I pretty much always miss the quick time left stick movements against centaurs, it blends way too much and I don't notice it until it is too late.

Owzers

Just finished it :O The beginning hour and ending were the best parts to the game, the middle stuff just bored me. Too many trial-and-error deaths and all the middle boss fights were uninteresting outside of one where you get the lion gauntlets afterwords, which was probalby my third favorite part. Trying to decide if it's worth keeping.

sillymonkey321 said:
Just finished it :O The beginning hour and ending were the best parts to the game, the middle stuff just bored me. Too many trial-and-error deaths and all the middle boss fights were uninteresting outside of one where you get the lion gauntlets afterwords, which was probalby my third favorite part. Trying to decide if it's worth keeping.

The boss fights were uninteresting? You thought
Hades, Cronos and Hermes
were uninteresting? Those are some of the best fights in the series.

so i haven't really touched a hack 'n slash game since the original Devil May Cry... thought i'd give this one a chance.

played for a couple hours...

WHAT THE FUCK. WHAT KIND OF SORCERY IS THIS!?

astroturfing said:
so i haven't really touched a hack 'n slash game since the original Devil May Cry... thought i'd give this one a chance.

CELL SORCERY

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
astroturfing said:

The kind of sorcery that only Sony's first-party mages are adept in. Summoning the dark lord MLAA from the fiery depths of Cell itself is no easy task.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
BruceLeeRoy said:
Hades, Cronos and Hermes

I enjoyed fighting
Hades and Cronos
, but the "battle" with
Hermes
was... boring. To SSM's credit, however, they more or less did the most they could considering his ability.

Owzers

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hades, Cronos and Hermes

The first one you listed was okay, the second was annoying, the third was more of a nuisance than anything.

Top Bottom