• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Chris_C said:
Jesus. I've been trying to get past the "fly down the chain" bit in the Labyrinth for 2 hours. I'm just about ready to bake my PS3.
If you use the right stick you can do a quick, short air dodge during all the Icarus Vent sections. It's pretty useful in that particular one.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Raist said:
Regular blades only. Rage of Sparta does wonder against the clones too. Magic isn't really an issue since you can somewhat force him to do his clone dash attack quite often to get some blue orbs.

just beat him. i was so used to the cestus that I couldn't use anything else properly :p

and it's DONE

chaos mode complete!

Raist

Banned
Darunia said:
just beat him. i was so used to the cestus that I couldn't use anything else properly :p

and it's DONE

chaos mode complete!

Nice, welcome to the club!
Enjoy not getting any reward for that :p

En-ou

Chris_C said:
Jesus. I've been trying to get past the "fly down the chain" bit in the Labyrinth for 2 hours. I'm just about ready to bake my PS3.
the part bef the spider webs where it seems impossible, just stay at the center near the chain, it's a safe spot for a bit.

but yeah bad design on that section especially after you hit something, your screen is blocked by the falling debris and you get insta-owned. they should have reduced the opacity of the debris once you get hit. as good as the game is, there are some simple improvements that they missed.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
DevilWillcry said:
Took 2 games to lead up to it. I thought the pay off was pretty damn epic.

The_Ghost_of_Spart_by_abraaolucas.jpg
Taken from another thread.

Such an awesome picture.

.GqueB.

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
The highly-telegraphed tail attack? Use the jump Icarus dash. As the tail is reeling back and the camera pans out, run away from him, double jump, then dash... you should clear enough distance to not get hit.
Thats needlessly cumbersome. Just switch to the Claws of Hades and evade. Every weapon has different evade animations and this one is definitely the quickest. You clear that tail with plenty of time to spare. Its almost unfair.

Note: I didnt figure this out immediately. It was one of those "wait a goddamn minute" moments.

Foob

ok i think i just beat the final boss and now I am in that
fear? world
- what the fuck were they thinking?? this is so dumb, i don't even know where the hell im going, i'm lost..

Draft

RoboPlato said:
If you use the right stick you can do a quick, short air dodge during all the Icarus Vent sections. It's pretty useful in that particular one.
No, you see, there's just one particular part of that jump. First there's some wooden platforms, then some fireballs, then some pillars, then a lot of fireballs THEN two wooden spiderwebs in a row that are just RIDICULOUS.

RIDICULOUS.

I eventually passed it by sticking very, very close to the chain. That seemed to work. Still squeaked by with like a sliver of health.

YYZ

wow, I didn't know about the Nucleus site, awesome.

I'm writing a Titan/Chaos mode FAQ btw, hopefully it will still have some use.

I wish I could make videos right now, but I don't have an HD capture card.

ZeroRay

Draft said:
No, you see, there's just one particular part of that jump. First there's some wooden platforms, then some fireballs, then some pillars, then a lot of fireballs THEN two wooden spiderwebs in a row that are just RIDICULOUS.

RIDICULOUS.

I eventually passed it by sticking very, very close to the chain. That seemed to work. Still squeaked by with like a sliver of health.

Now get ready for the most difficult battle in the game. Muahahaha!

Draft

ZeroRay said:
Now get ready for the most difficult battle in the game. Muahahaha!
See, what ticks me off is that while the battle was difficult, I only died one time (got overwhelmed by the dual anubis guys because I blew my rage of the gods too early.) I died 10x getting to the stupid thing.

That is a problem I have always had with the GOW games. They stick in these stupid puzzle or QTE set pieces with instant death as failure, and it totally fucks the flow. I can appreciate the purpose of QTEs, to let the player do something cool while still maintaining the barest semblance of control. But at least make them easy. Multiple reloads are never epic.

Foob said:
fear? world
- what the fuck were they thinking?? this is so dumb, i don't even know where the hell im going, i'm lost..

You serious? Theres only one direction you can go. The sequence is pretty story important, and you feeling lost is exactly what you should feel.
HOLY SHIT THE ENDING

Well there you go.

The Chef

Foob said:
fear? world

facepalm.jpg

Foob

FreedomFrisbee said:
You serious? Theres only one direction you can go. The sequence is pretty story important, and you feeling lost is exactly what you should feel.

haha just a few seconds after i made that post i figured out what my problem was, i missed a segment where i was supposed to hit r1

Chris_C

RoboPlato said:

Yeah, I realise that. My problem is I can't deal with up=down, down=up flight or camera controls. I mean if it's something like Warhawk I can, but not generally.

En-ou said:
the part bef the spider webs where it seems impossible, just stay at the center near the chain, it's a safe spot for a bit.

En-ou said:
but yeah bad design on that section especially after you hit something, your screen is blocked by the falling debris and you get insta-owned. they should have reduced the opacity of the debris once you get hit. as good as the game is, there are some simple improvements that they missed.

So true, I hit one beam and I can pretty much bet on hitting the next three.

The Chef

neojubei said:
What do you even mean?

Draft is just doing what he does best, popping into a random thread and spouting off a one sentence summation of what he thinks will ultimately be a great dig against most people on that page.

In other words he is trying to be annoying as hell

Raist

Banned
Chris_C said:
Yeah, I realise that. My problem is I can't deal with up=down, down=up flight or camera controls. I mean if it's something like Warhawk I can, but not generally.

You can change that in the options.

Darunia said:

and it's DONE

chaos mode complete!

Congrats. I'm still on
hercules
.. about 210 deaths lol.

Now on to GoW 1/2 god/titan mode and then bayonetta, ninja gaiden 2, devil may cry, etc.

No shortage of action game challenges. ;)

nskinnear said:
Kratos does the same amount of damage on both Normal and Titan, so it doesn't really matter. I think I got the trophy on Normal difficulty.

Sweet. I beat it on Titan last week but want to do my second playthrough on Normal so I can chill out a little more and just enjoy watching Kratos destroy everything in sight. :D

diddlyD

Banned
Draft said:
See, what ticks me off is that while the battle was difficult, I only died one time (got overwhelmed by the dual anubis guys because I blew my rage of the gods too early.) I died 10x getting to the stupid thing.

That is a problem I have always had with the GOW games. They stick in these stupid puzzle or QTE set pieces with instant death as failure, and it totally fucks the flow. I can appreciate the purpose of QTEs, to let the player do something cool while still maintaining the barest semblance of control. But at least make them easy. Multiple reloads are never epic.

yeah i got really annoyed at this part too. it's just stupid. it's like some 'intern demo to get your first job in the industry making flash games' type gameplay. not to mention fundamentally broken.

things like this are what led to my little review/rant that most people here scoffed at. this game is still pretty good, but it has a lot of problems, some that past gow's don't even have. what annoys me most is the thought of the designers and programmers getting all smug with the endless streams of "best game ever" when they really fucked up a good deal. if they can fix their shit for the next game, i'll be the first one to praise them endlessly. but if they've already convinced themselves they do no wrong and the next game has the same stupid shit in it, that would be sad indeed.

My friend came over to play this the other day and accidentally wrote over a bunch of my saves from the past week and a half or so. I basically lost half or more of my progress, and I was just past the part where
Hephaestus dies.
Oh well, at least I'll be able to plow through with the benefit of experience this time, although I might put off my next run on a harder difficulty for a while now.

On the upside, he got me Dead Space for my birthday, so it wasn't too hard to forgive him. ;)

grumble

Just beat it. Overall, very solid game. Great combat (best in series), would have liked more of it as I was just settling into the weapon options when the game ended. Did not particularly like the story, especially the ending which was childish C-movie sap. There is a lot of missed potential there. Enjoyed the level design, but did not think it was as good as the level design in GOW2.

I'm going to play it again now.

So, i finally was able to play some GOWIII yesterday and god, as my first boxed PS3 game is it AMAZING at so many levels.

What i loved so far :
- The intro animation : beautiful, looks like a $100m movie intro
- The scope : how not to be amazed during the opening sequence ? Simply unmatched.
- The framerate : I've been playing 6 hours on it and did not notice any particular slowdown
- The Anti-aliasing : this is the cleanest game I have. Hope all ps3 first party games will get the same treatment on SPUs from now on.
- The textures : how are SMS even capable of fitting this into 256 MB ?
- No loading.
- The sheer diversity of actions.
- The art style.
- The QTEs. During the second boss fight, I was shocked by what I was inflicting to the god.

Well all in all, a hell of a game. A+ in my books.

All Challenges beaten (No Hands was Bullshit)

All but 3 trophies, time to go Titan.

For those that have the ??? Trophy at the end of the list, do you have to make it through that entire section? Or just the ones with
Pandora
?

BeeDog

Boombloxer said:
All Challenges beaten (No Hands was Bullshit)

All but 3 trophies, time to go Titan.

For those that have the ??? Trophy at the end of the list, do you have to make it through that entire section? Or just the ones with
Pandora
?

As soon as you enter the re-assembled Labyrinth, you'll see "The Labyrinth" on screen (the first save point inside the box). From this point on, you aren't allowed to die until you exit the Labyrinth with Pandora (that is, until you get on top of it).

Doing this on Titan mode will be hell, fyi.

Denzar

GODDAMN

This one track (
The End Of Vengeance
makes the hairs on my back rise.

The soundtack is such a class act. Start to finish.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Deepack said:
GODDAMN

This track makes the hairs on my back rise.

[removed]

The soundtack is such a class act. Start to finish.

Uh, wow. Fuck the recent YouTube re-design. The top-rated comment which appears beneath the bloody video has more or less spoiled the game for me.

The fuck. THE FUCK.

Denzar

JaseC said:
Uh, wow. Fuck the recent YouTube re-design. The top-rated comment which appears beneath the bloody video has more or less spoiled the game for me.

The fuck. THE FUCK.
Oh shit man.

Not my intention AT ALL. It happened to me too (thank you GameTrailers) and I know what you feel like.

I feel bad for you man. Did not see that MONSTROUS SPOILER.

I'm sorry. I should have noticed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Deepack said:
Oh shit man.

Not my intention AT ALL. It happened to me too (thank you GameTrailers) and I know what you feel like.

I feel bad for you man. Did not see that MONSTROUS SPOILER.

I'm sorry.

Oh, don't worry, I don't blame you at all.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
About the godly possessions.

I thought it was cool that Helios's sun shield was one of them as it was a weapon Kratos used in Chains of Olympus. I wished Stig went a big further and used Zeus's gauntlet as a godly possession

Denzar

neojubei said:
About the godly possessions.

I thought it was cool that Helios's sun shield was one of them as it was a weapon Kratos used in Chains of Olympus. I wished Stig went a big further and used Zeus's gauntlet as a godly possession
We already have the Cestus. Those 2 weapons would be too similar. Stig even said the Cestus was in the game because they found Zeus' Gauntles to be so awesome

Top Bottom