• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Deepack said:
We already have the Cestus. Those 2 weapons would be too similar. Stig even said the Cestus was in the game because they found Zeus' Gauntles to be so awesome

Oh not to use a weapon but as a call back to Chain of Olympus, even if the item is only used as a godly possession.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Rick Dangerous said:
So, i finally was able to play some GOWIII yesterday and god, as my first boxed PS3 game is it AMAZING at so many levels.

What i loved so far :
- The intro animation : beautiful, looks like a $100m movie intro
- The scope : how not to be amazed during the opening sequence ? Simply unmatched.
- The framerate : I've been playing 6 hours on it and did not notice any particular slowdown
- The Anti-aliasing : this is the cleanest game I have. Hope all ps3 first party games will get the same treatment on SPUs from now on.
- The textures : how are SMS even capable of fitting this into 256 MB ?
- No loading.
- The sheer diversity of actions.
- The art style.
- The QTEs. During the second boss fight, I was shocked by what I was inflicting to the god.

Well all in all, a hell of a game. A+ in my books.

uhh..you mean 512mb of ram :p

U2NUMB

So as someone who really had a hard time enjoying GOW 1 and 2 I was not interested in 3. I have been keeping an eye on this thread and other places and it sounded like they solved some of my issues with the first two. (Mainly difficulty )

So after learning that I had 40 bucks in reward zone money from best buy I picked the game up for 20 bucks and I must say.. 3 hours in and I am enjoying the hell out of this game.

So I am converted .. I really am enjoying the game so far and I hope it continues on this path as I finish it.

StuBurns

Banned
My PS3 died last month, but I bought GoW3, FFXIII and HR last week. I lent my mates PS3 for an evening to play GoW, sat down, played it thru in one seven hour sitting, really impressive. GoW2 is way better, but still, a beautiful game.

obaidr

Banned
StuBurns said:
My PS3 died last month, but I bought GoW3, FFXIII and HR last week. I lent my mates PS3 for an evening to play GoW, sat down, played it thru in one seven hour sitting, really impressive. GoW2 is way better, but still, a beautiful game.
Did you play it on normal or titan? I had the same experience on normal but on titan it is more fun then 2 in my eyes.

No idea where to ask this, decided this thread due to the GoW 1&2 discussions. I can't remember why he has the red tattoos over his eye and on his chest. I remember his gray skin is the ashes of his wife and kid, but can't remember what the red is... is it just war paint that never goes away? Or is is someone's blood?

StuBurns

Banned
obaidr said:
Did you play it on normal or titan? I had the same experience on normal but on titan it is more fun then 2 in my eyes.
Neither, played it on easy. I don't really get anything out of getting my ass handed to me, not dying at all is much more enjoyable I think.

kikanny

Gryphter said:
No idea where to ask this, decided this thread due to the GoW 1&2 discussions. I can't remember why he has the red tattoos over his eye and on his chest. I remember his gray skin is the ashes of his wife and kid, but can't remember what the red is... is it just war paint that never goes away? Or is is someone's blood?
It just looks cool.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Gryphter said:

It's never really explained AFAIK, but I've always just assumed it's a tattoo.

The Chef

StuBurns said:
Neither, played it on easy. I don't really get anything out of getting my ass handed to me, not dying at all is much more enjoyable I think.

Holy shit on easy! Not to be a elitist Stub but if I put peanut butter on the face buttons of the dual shock and let my dog have at it he could beat the game on easy.

StuBurns

Banned
The Chef said:
Holy shit on easy! Not to be a elitist Stub but if I put peanut butter on the face buttons of the dual shock and let my dog have at it he could beat the game on easy.
You make it sound like that's a bad thing? I wasn't bragging that I beat the game on easy. I don't get any fun out of losing at games, so I try to avoid it at all costs. That's not to say I didn't die, I didn't die on any combat, but I did on that one sequence with the grappling hooks on the massive boxes after
you beat the scorpion.

The Chef

StuBurns said:
You make it sound like that's a bad thing? I wasn't bragging that I beat the game on easy. I don't get any fun out of losing at games, so I try to avoid it at all costs. That's not to say I didn't die, I didn't die on any combat, but I did on that one sequence with the grappling hooks on the massive boxes after you beat the scorpion.

I can see where your coming from but with me the GOW games have always been about mastering the combat techniques which you obviously don't have to do on the easier difficulties. If thats what you enjoy though I have no right to knock it.

I play every game I get on the hardest difficulty because I feel like I get so much more out of it.

StuBurns

Banned
The Chef said:
I can see where your coming from but with me the GOW games have always been about mastering the combat techniques which you obviously don't have to do on the easier difficulties. If thats what you enjoy though I have no right to knock it.
For me it's always been about feeling empowered, there is nothing like ripping thru the masses without even breaking a sweat.

I've enjoyed playing thru things like Ninja Gaiden (although Sigma not so much) because for some reason, that game doesn't feel like I should just be destroying everything with ease, with God of War, it does.

Uncharted 2 I also played on easy. I feel no shame.

EDIT: As for the edit, if I really cared about value, I certainly would also, but I'm perfectly fine with seven hours for £40. I had a really great time, I might play it again, if not, I don't mind. I very rarely replay games.

More than anything, dying just makes me up tight and stressed, and that's not how I like to spend my free time.

uraldix

The Chef said:
I play every game I get on the hardest difficulty because I feel like I get so much more out of it.

Me too but we are the minority these days. Most people don't like to die over and over while trying to figure the best way to beat a game. I played GOWIII on easy to grab a couple of trophies and it felt like cheating :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Chef said:

I want to see this. :lol

Owzers

The majority of all my deaths on Normal are coming from trial-and-error "boss" fights. This can can be downright annoying, it feels like a direct God of War 2 sequel that you'd find on PS2 a year after GoW 2's release, i expected more out of the franchise, foolishly i guess. Same thing happened with Halo 3's single player.

BeeDog said:
As soon as you enter the re-assembled Labyrinth, you'll see "The Labyrinth" on screen (the first save point inside the box). From this point on, you aren't allowed to die until you exit the Labyrinth with Pandora (that is, until you get on top of it).

Doing this on Titan mode will be hell, fyi.

Thanks. I'm at the Pits of Tartarus now, so I'll be on that section fairly soon.

1k hits, that and Titan are all that's left. Hopefully I'll finish by Tuesday.

uraldix

The Chef said:
I might have to stack the peanut butter over the "O" button a little higher than the rest but I guarantee he will come through for me!

Double jumps could be tricky for him at first.

Iknos

Had this since launch but never opened it.

Do I really need to play GoW2 before playing this?

Would like to play GoW2 because it should be a fun game but I am looking for a cheap version and I can't find one.

GoW Collection being $30 isn't a bad deal but I overspent on my gaming budget so I might have to wait another month before picking it up.

But I don't want to wait that long the GoW3 case is waiting to be opened.

Hope you can see my dilemma here.

Combichristoffersen

Iknos said:

Would like to play GoW2 because it should be a fun game but I am looking for a cheap version and I can't find one.

GoW Collection being $30 isn't a bad deal but I overspent on my gaming budget so I might have to wait another month before picking it up.

You don't need to play GoW 2 prior to playing GoW 3 (there's a recap of the first two games during the intro), but you should play GoW 2 anyway, as it's arguably the best in the trilogy.

Raist

Banned
Iknos said:

I never finished GoW and never played GoWII and that didn't prevent me from enjoying GoWIII a lot. I really doubt it matters for that franchise.

But as soon as the GoW collection is out over here I'll certainly buy it :p. I just hope that playing GoWIII first will not ruin my experience with the previous titles.

KingGondo

Banned
All three games are great in their own way, although GoW3 is far and away technically superior from a presentation standpoint.

There's a LOT of game in the GoW Collection, and you'll get used to the gameplay before you hit GoW3 so you can hit the ground running and enjoy the experience much more. Definitely recommend playing it ahead of time, even though you don't *have* to.

Haha I am back bitches like a phoenix rising from the ashes!
Going through the game on Chaos right now. I know its getting tired but the game blew me away. The presentation the production values each and every boss fight it was just unrelenting. I will be surprised if anything beats this as my GOTY in 2010.

Also great job on the thread nskinnear.

I swear, what a crappy time to get a month ban; I haven't had a chance to talk about this game yet. I played it very slowly and didn't get through it for about two weeks. It's hard to find my total feeling, there were things I loved and things I didn't. I thought the bosses this time felt more 'real' to me
something about the Herc fight had me totally pumped up
. It didn't feel to me like the game had much of a story this time though. Of course in all the GoW games, you are given your main task very soon and you spend the entire game working to it, but this time we didn't find out anything I wanted to know, and it felt like we were left in the same place as GoW2. The whole time in Gow2 I was waiting to see what happens to earth if you kill all the gods, and I thought you would see it when you kill Zues at the end of 2. I felt like I waited to through all of GoW3 and I didn't really get to see what I wanted in this game either, just the basics I expected. I really loved the game, but left a bad taste in my mouth and I think both of the previous GoW games were a better total package. I'll save my comments about the ending and Cratos' character for the spoiler thread. Overall, 10 for graphics, 10 for sounds, but I'd say 8.5 for the total package.

Oh, the weapon variety and magic this time was handled really well I thought.

Playing through this game, and man it is pretty.

Except for Hera... why does she look like a PS2 character?
I'm obviously exaggerating but she seriously looks a lot worse than pretty much all of the other characters.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Haha I am back bitches like a phoenix rising from the ashes!
Going through the game on Chaos right now. I know its getting tired but the game blew me away. The presentation the production values each and every boss fight it was just unrelenting. I will be surprised if anything beats this as my GOTY in 2010.

Also great job on the thread nskinnear.

I doubt it will get it because of how early in the year it released.

StuBurns

Banned
Kos Luftar said:
I doubt it will get it because of how early in the year it released.
That's a bit of a myth I think, RE4 was early in the year. I think it's more likely that generally, better games are released around holiday season to increase sales, so the GOTY winners are usually around that time.

nskinnear said:
It all depends on what releases later in the year, really. I think we already have two great contenders for GOTY (GOW III and Mass Effect 2), and we're only 1/4 of the way through 2010. This truly is a great year to be a gamer :p

I have ME2 just staring at me on my shelf. I loved the first game so as soon as I have satisfied my bloodlust Ill pop that in.

StuBurns said:
That's a bit of a myth I think, RE4 was early in the year. I think it's more likely that generally, better games are released around holiday season to increase sales, so the GOTY winners are usually around that time.

It will be just like Killzone 2. Everyone pretty much ignored it when it came to game of the year contention.

StuBurns

Banned
Kos Luftar said:
It will be just like Killzone 2. Everyone pretty much ignored it when it came to game of the year contention.

I don't think KZ2 would have won it that much had it been released any time in the year. In fact, given the response to Bayonetta, which is this year, GoW3 is pretty much fucked. I still haven't played beyond the demo which I thought was awful, but that game has got a greater chance at the awards I think.

If The Last Guardian hits this xmas, Sony do have a good chance of dominating the awards again.

LosDaddie

Banned
Kos Luftar said:

:lol GAF didn't forget about KZ2. Some, like myself, just didn't think it was GotY material.

Kos Luftar said:

Killzone 2 really wasn't that good, man. Unless you're talking about "GIF of the Year" it just wasn't GOTY material

FLEABttn

Banned
nskinnear said:
I think it was. The problem was that it released in a year when there were so many other deserving games. Uncharted 2, Batman: AA, Demon's Souls, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands, Street Fighter IV, etc. were all great contenders for GOTY.

You can like Killzone 2, but you could have made a list of contenders like that any year.

I really didn't find it to be GOTY material, or even A list material, and it is one of the few PS3 games I ever sold out of my collection.

GoW3 won't get ignored like KZ2 did.

It would be nice for the SSM crew to get some awards and I hope they get it. Currently this game is game of the year for me, and I do not see anything that is currently announced for this year that could take the tittle from it. Closest would be Star Craft 2 imo.

I just feel like the complaints for God of War 3 as far as the press go are similar to Killzone 2 which were, "story sucks but the game looks awesome".

It doesn't matter in the end because I think it is Game of the Year and if others disagree than clearly they are crazy and they don't know what they are talking about.

Combichristoffersen

StuBurns said:
In fact, given the response to Bayonetta, which is this year, GoW3 is pretty much fucked. I still haven't played beyond the demo which I thought was awful, but that game has got a greater chance at the awards I think.

If Bayonetta wins a GotY award over GoW 3, I will hang my head in shame.

Combichristoffersen said:
If Bayonetta wins a GotY award over GoW 3, I will hang my head in shame.

I will be very disappointed if that happened.

I haven't played that game but just the idea of it makes me cringe. I am not into Japanese action games.

Combichristoffersen

Kos Luftar said:
I will be very disappointed if that happened.

I haven't played that game but just the idea of it makes me cringe. I am not into Japanese action games.

I played the demo, and the gameplay is fun, like DMC on steroids. But the visual style, good lord the visual style.. It's like watching an animu unicorn on LSD puking a rainbow.

StuBurns

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
I played the demo, and the gameplay is fun, like DMC on steroids. But the visual style, good lord the visual style.. It's like watching an animu unicorn on LSD puking a rainbow.
It's hella ulgy, true. But in a way, it'd be cool if something won purely out of gameplay. Uncharted 2 is very pretty, it's the best looking console game so far in fact, and as much as I loved the presentation, acting, gameplay, the whole package, I really think the fact it's beautiful did more for it's chances of winning than anything.

At least Bayonetta would be winning only for it's combat, because it is an ugly ass piece of crap.

Top Bottom