• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

BARKSTAR

Banned
MazingerDUDE said:
a0037809_4bbc2e2a31661.jpg

a0037809_4bbc2e4655cca.jpg

I've found few texture streaming bugs in GOW3, and I'd like to report this to SCE Santa Monica studio, but I don't know where to. Perhaps it'd be better to send e-mail to Tim Moss, or Christer Ericson. Anyone knows their e-mail address? I believe these bugs can easily be fixed with a patch update.

Sure the top picture isn't a scan from the rumoured Wii version? :)

BARKSTAR

Banned
Rikyfree said:
Chaos mode down (and the crowd goes wild!!)

Also congrats on Chaos mode. I found finishing Titan hard enough (especially as it was my first blast at a God of War title) so although I could no doubt finish Chaos I'm not going to endure the stress of doing so!

So GAF can I join the triple club now? :D

e5ixkw.jpg

I'm going through the GoW withdrawal syndrome now that Amir0x pointed out a few pages back. Fuck I need to get into FFXIII but it's so hard...It's almost the complete opposite of the testosterone-inducing gameplay I've been exposed to in the last few weeks :lol :lol

mr stroke

just finished the game.

They should have called this Cave of War 3 :(

bosses battles are amazing but so many damn cave levels make a big portion of the game stale. should have went "Shadow of Colossus" style and made it 100% boss battles. Over all the game is really good, and one of the best in its genre(hack and slash?) Better than 1 but not as good as 2.

Will probably trade this in now as I can't see my self playing it again(plus Amazon has a stupid trade in value of $38 on it)

mr stroke said:
just finished the game.

They should have called this Cave of War 3 :(

bosses battles are amazing but so many damn cave levels make a big portion of the game stale. should have went "Shadow of Colossus" style and made it 100% boss battles. Over all the game is really good, and one of the best in its genre(hack and slash?) Better than 1 but not as good as 2.

Will probably trade this in now as I can't see my self playing it again(plus Amazon has a stupid trade in value of $38 on it)
You might wanna hold off till the announcement...I hope its a full fledged GoW title and not just a DLC/PSP game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
RustyNails said:
You might wanna hold off till the announcement...I hope its a full fledged GoW title and not just a DLC/PSP game.

I really can't imagine it being a new GoW game for the PS3. I'd say it's either DLC or a new PSP game. And knowing my luck it'll be a PSP game.

Just beat it on Normal. What a wild ride! The Final battle was well conceived I thought in all its parts.

For me the most enjoyable was the side-scrolling fight with Zeus. It was close quarter combat with no forms of strafing to disrupt the flow of violence, just mano a mano. The final battle with Zeus annoyed me to some extent, especially with the multiple clones of Zeus making the battle feel as though I was wading through a rip current to get to the real man. It took me a couple of tries to beat him, but once I began effectively using the Nemean Cestus to gain energy from Gai's heart by holding down the square button to just pummel it for maximum juice, it was all a matter of effectively parrying Zeus's attack to get cheap shots until I could get in close enough. Overall, I enjoyed the Zeus fight in GOWII more but primarily due to my general dislike for enemies who can clone themselves (My most disliked enemy in the GOW universe is that three headed dog that spits out babies that grow into full sized dogs.).

And how about that Ending!!!

Ahahha I was not prepared for that trippy little journey through Kratos's minds eye. Was Santa Monica Studios dropping acid when they put that piece together? :lol Brilliant altogether. I would've been disappointed had Kratros not been confronted with the sins he has committed. For him to commit suicide, a violent death by his own hands, was only appropriate. I didn't understand the little ending bit after the credits. Did he crawl to and plunge from the cliff?

It's going to be hard playing other games for a while. GOWIII had everything I could want from game. The scale of everything was so massive, from the enormous boss fights to the blood rushing soundtrack. I need to have a choir with me whenever i go to a gym because that latin chanting(??) makes me want to go all ape shit on that treadmill. And since the GOW collection was my first exposure to the series and I completed in the two weeks leading up to the GOWIII release, it really felt like playing one 30+ hour epic (I had completed GOW2 on the release day for part 3, and immediately started that the day after)! You'd think I'd be tired of Kratos, especially the combat system, but the grab mechanics, hermes boots, and the rope-pull technique made for a lot more combat options. Damn I can't stop talking about this game. AMAZING@!

StevePharma said:

I'm going through the GoW withdrawal syndrome now that Amir0x pointed out a few pages back. Fuck I need to get into FFXIII but it's so hard...It's almost the complete opposite of the testosterone-inducing gameplay I've been exposed to in the last few weeks :lol :lol

Geez that's dedication! I'm not one to seek out trophies, much less go for 100%, but I might go for it with GOW. The series is deserving of it. At any rate, very impressive. That FXIII "5%" is like a zit on an otherwise blemish free face though. ;)

PartlyCloudlike said:
Geez that's dedication! I'm not one to seek out trophies, much less go for 100%, but I might go for it with GOW. The series is deserving of it. At any rate, very impressive. That FXIII "5%" is like a zit on an otherwise blemish free face though. ;)

Thanks :lol Yeah FFXIII is going to take a fuckton of hours to get 100%, I'll probably finish it first and do my grindin' when the summer drought hits.

missile

StevePharma said:

e5ixkw.jpg
I see trophies.

Here is my GoWIII review;

Good game! ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ xD

koene

My Chaos run has gone pretty well up till now. I've even managed to not upgrade any weapons. Still, I've collected red orbs, just in case. I've done the same for my titanrun in GoW II (until I reached 'protect the translator' :).

Now I've reached the Cerberus Breeder part. It's pretty hard. That Cerberus has so much health! Actually, he's more lik a boss. If get up close and keep smashing it with the Cestus (when there are no Satyrs), it actually works well. But once the first Satyr shows up, it gets way harder. There's also not that much space.

Any tips? (Besides upgrading)

koene said:
My Chaos run has gone pretty well up till now. I've even managed to not upgrade any weapons. Still, I've collected red orbs, just in case. I've done the same for my titanrun in GoW II (until I reached 'protect the translator' :).

Now I've reached the Cerberus Breeder part. It's pretty hard. That Cerberus has so much health! Actually, he's more lik a boss. If get up close and keep smashing it with the Cestus (when there are no Satyrs), it actually works well. But once the first Satyr shows up, it gets way harder. There's also not that much space.

Any tips? (Besides upgrading)

check this amazing clip for tips on the fight (it's a no upgrade run on Chaos mode)

Natakuu

Banned
Finally got around to finishing God of War III. Not a bad game by any means, still disappointed in the final result though. The last bit of the game really dragged, definitely should have shortened
the section where Kratos is in the darkness forgiving himself, ect.

Alright, I mailed them about the texture streaming issues in GOW3, and this is the reply I got from one of the SSM staff.

releasing a patch to correct the a lower-resolution texture displayed during a few seconds
worth of gameplay -- which is likely to not even be noticed by the large majority of
gameplayers -- simply is untenable.

patching is also very expensive due to the large number of people involved in fixing an
issue, performing extensive quality assurance to try to ensure the issue has been
addressed and that no other issues have been introduced, as well as subsequent release
coordination across multiple territories.

So, they won't do it because it costs money & it's something that no one notices.

Well, it's rather hard to agree that the larger majority of people would be so blind not to be able notice PS2 shitty textures among the high quality ones, but maybe people won't mind it as much as I do.

Of course, me being a huge fan of the GOW franchise, I want this game to look as best as possible, but I guess it's just another game for them.

Here're the shots.

* In a game that incorporates texture streaming system like GOW3, it's rather common to encounter a higher res texture to pop few seconds later. I wouldn't call it a bug if it's something that you'll eventually see, but the ones I've got here are the ones that you wouldn't normally see in your ordinary play through. (except for the Eagle one, where it's got the problem only in your third encounter, as it will take more than 30 seconds to get the higher res texture. Which of course makes it more a bug than others)

a0037809_4bbf7193eeb1e.jpg

a0037809_4bbf71a840856.jpg

a0037809_4bbf71b703314.jpg

a0037809_4bbf71c6d54be.jpg

a0037809_4bbf71d3b149c.jpg

a0037809_4bbf71e55b591.jpg

a0037809_4bbf71f907d52.jpg

a0037809_4bbf720b1b85a.jpg

a0037809_4bbf721b341de.jpg

a0037809_4bbf722aba857.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WTF! That last screen is from WHERE in the game?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I think that's considered a spoiler :O [spoiler ] text [/spoiler ] without the spaces.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
shagg_187 said:
Yeah, the texture pops is not considered a glitch, and a very smart way of loading and making sure gameplay is streamless. Alot of games do that and it's a very common practice.
I think he's trying to say that the streaming itself is messed up. Those textures don't pop-in at all. I've never seen the higher resolution versions of those textures and I've finished the game 3 times. That said, I never really paid much attention the lower resolution of them either.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MazingerDUDE said:
Of course, me being a hue fan of the GOW franchise, I want this game to look as best as possible, but I guess it's just another game for them.
this is why no one takes us seriously, neogaf

Lince

Banned
3 or 4 textures failing to load in a 8-9 hours game isn't that bad, I guess we're talking places where the engine is nearly running out of memory and it just refuses loading anything until something else is dumped from RAM (which doesn't seem to happen most of the time until a certain trigger is activated, like entering a new area, resulting in the low-res texture staying on screen all the time). It's not like Bioshock 2 that shows low-res textures in your face throughout the game.

edit: nvm

frogg609

So every time I go onto the God of War III site to try and download the wallpapers from there, it takes me back to the main page. Does anyone know anywhere else I can get them? (Looking to get the largest size available).

I encountered the eagle one and the one with the two statue right before Olympia through my play through and I just though it was a shitty texture.

I finished this last night.....absolutely amazing experience! Easily one of the top games this gen so far!

I will agree with most people when they say that the game loses some steam towards the end. The first half is pretty much perfect in my eyes, it was so damn perfectly paced!

Then you get to the labyrinth with little creativity, bland environments, and the pacing completely goes out the window....it seems like they were rushed or just ran out of ideas.

Don’t get me wrong the last parts were still very enjoyable, but compared to the start it was definitely lacking. Now for the very ending...I kinda have mixed feelings towards it.

I thought it was pretty sloppy. They threw an overload of info at you all at once, so it was hard to follow, though after reading about it here on GAF I appreciated it a little more.

A good ending that was executed poorly I thought. Besides those complaints the game was incredible!

dralla

I can't believe this fucking guy e-mailed SSM about texture pop-in. They spent 3 years busting their asses and you complain about something so minuscule and petty. I know no one at SSM would actually say this because it would get them in trouble, but you're an ungrateful piece of shit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
MazingerDUDE said:
So, they won't do it because it costs money & it's something that no one notices.

Well, it's rather hard to agree that the larger majority of people would be so blind not to be able notice PS2 shitty textures among the high quality ones, but maybe people won't mind it as much as I do.

Isn't pixel counting basically your hobby? I think it's safe to assume that most people are less likely to notice and do not care as much about this kind of thing.

MazingerDUDE said:
Of course, me being a huge fan of the GOW franchise, I want this game to look as best as possible, but I guess it's just another game for them.

Bitching and moaning[IMG]

[/QUOTE]

That's one of the more presumptuous, idiot things I've heard on GAF and that's saying something. How much time and effort did you put into this project? You must have contributed to it somehow considering you feel qualified enough to question their reasons as to why it's untenable to include the fixes you desire. I doubt you have a clue as to the number of hours they put into the development of this project and the difficulty of the endeavor to get it to where it is today, and you definitely have no idea about the amount of effort it would take to include fixes to the minor texture streaming issues.

Edit: And congrats, you've made my ignore list you dumbass motherfucker.

Oozinator

Banned
dralla said:
I can't believe this fucking guy e-mailed SSM about texture pop-in. They spent 3 years busting their asses and you complain about something so minuscule and petty. I know no one at SSM would actually say this because it would get them in trouble, but you're an ungrateful piece of shit.
Didn't he PAY with REAL MONEY to get the game ?

keuja

I’m disappointed that there is no pure combat challenge in the challenges of Olympus.
I was looking forward fighting waves after waves of increasingly harder enemies, culminating with gazillions of Cyclops, satyr, chimeras, centaurs. No rules, no time limit, just kill all of the enemies.
I love the gritty antic world of God of war but somehow I didn’t have the same feeling as in GoW1 and 2. Maybe it’s because there weren’t as many beautiful landscapes or vistas in GoW3 or just that they just appealed less to me than in the previous games. (I am a sucker for landscapes, one of the reason I love Uncharted 2 and … GTA3 SA so much).

However overall, I must say the game is amazing, the new weapons are great. The claws of Hades look so good when fighting, especially the L1+circle, and L1+triangle!

mYm|17|

Just finished it. It was a very fun game and I enjoyed it, but near the end of the game is where it got kinda boring.

The last fight...............WTF!!!!!!!!!! :lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Philanthropist said:
I either didn't experience those streaming issues or I totally didn't notice them. Too awesome of a game to look for flaws!

I haven't encountered any texture quality/streaming issues, either.

Halcyon

I got my first platinum trophy on saturday for this. I've played through it 3 times so far. I hated Bare Hands. When i finally beat it I was screaming at the top of my lungs. Stupid bare hands.

I must be one of the only few people in this thread who actually liked GoW2 more than this game. The graphics are by far some of the best I've seen this generation, but I just felt like the boss fights were weak compared to GoW2. Not to mention the level designs and puzzles. Practically no puzzles in GoW3.

Still a great game, though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I must be one of the only few people in this thread who actually liked GoW2 more than this game. The graphics are by far some of the best I've seen this generation, but I just felt like the boss fights were weak compared to to GoW2. Not to mention the level designs and puzzles. Practically no puzzles in GoW3.

Still a great game, though.
I think this is the commonly held opinion.

Halcyon

I think when I end up looking back at it, I'll feel 3 is my favorite to play, but I liked 1 the best for the story.

Top Bottom