• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
LosDaddie said:
Anybody else have some experience with the NewGame+ glitch?

I did the glitch for my Titan playthrough and here are my impressions 3hrs in:
  • It's fun having all the weapons maxed out in the beginning
  • I'm guessing every weapon gets powered-down to Level 1 when you obtain the weapon in the game. This happened to me with the Blades of Exile
  • The Cetus is a real beast on the early enemies :D
  • You can definitely crash the game using this glitch. I crashed the game by destoying the blue crystals on the Three Judges' heads when you first enter that area. Had to shut off my PS3 :lol
no its just blades of exile that gets powered-down to level 1 the other 3 are safe

LosDaddie

Banned
jett said:
My experience is that your health/defense is crazy high and it's impossible to die no matter the difficulty you choose.

I know there are a couple variations of the glitch (one be infinite health), but I did the normal/well known glitch where it's just the weapons being available & powered-up from the beginning. My health/magic/item gauges are normal and I've died a few times so far.

daxter01 said:
no its just blades of exile that gets powered-down to level 1 the other 3 are safe

Really? That's cool. I didn't get Apollo's Bow because I didn't want it powered-down, but I did do everything to get it though....just didn't pick it up. I was almost at Hades before I saved and stopped for the night. I'll update tomorrow on what happens with the Claws of Hades.

I hope the glitch doesn't prevent me from getting the gold titan playthrough trophy.

So, i finished the game and here are my thoughts :
- technically beyond anything i've seen up to now (note that this is my first boxed ps3 game) : titan levels are crazy, mlsa is godly, fluidity is constant, sound is brilliant.
- loved most of the boss battles but some were a bit underwhelming. Those who finished the game know what i'm talking about.
- Did not like the recycling of some of the environements where you pass through several times.
- Loved the combat, especially for someone like me who can't pour hours to master it.
- Hated the pesky creatures with claws underground.
- Loved the 2D/3D scenes (intro and a few others)
- OK but not stellar story for me who havn't played yet GOWI and GOWII

All in All : A. Must Buy for any ps3 owner. Not quite there in my standards with MGS1 in my heart but there with Virtua fighter or scudrace for a game that screams perfect technical execution.

Now, i'm gonna buy either Heavy Rain or Motorstorm pacific rift. I think heavy rain, it will be faster to complete.

So I've stayed out of this thread for the most part since I'm still slowly working my way through the GoW Collection, but my friend finally started it up and keeps complaining about constant glitches. Kratos disappearing in the Poisdeon fight and falling through the floor and stuff. Is this a common thing?

Ferrio

Banned
So think I'm getting near the end. Didn't power up any weapons until i go the final one. Then plunked it all into the cestus or whatever. Still tons of souls left over, but those things are so beastly not sure if i'll need them.

LosDaddie

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
Does the new game+ glitch work once you've updated to the current patch level? I tried it, but it didn't work. Maybe I did something wrong? :(

Did a new patch come out today?

If not, then yes the glitch should work with whatever patch came out last week (or whenever). I did the glitch on Sunday and it worked fine.

Ferrio said:
So think I'm getting near the end. Didn't power up any weapons until i go the final one. Then plunked it all into the cestus or whatever. Still tons of souls left over, but those things are so beastly not sure if i'll need them.

You might as well power up everything to get the trophy for doing so. But yeah, all you really need to power up is the Cestus and the Blades of Exile

CozMick

Banned
Just got back from banville,

Just wanted to post my opinion on this game.

Best fucking game ever! seriously! :D

Now where's my DLC SSM?

TTG

So, after finishing The God of War Collection, I'm moving on to the main attraction. Quick question about the DIFFICULTY settings before I get started:

I completed the original on normal, which was surprisingly loads of fun. The 2 advantages that it had was being completely stress free and the freedom to chain the longest combos together at any given time. Admittedly, there was never a challenge, but it was fun.

For the 2nd, I bumped the difficulty up to hard. Turned out the way I expected. Had to exercise some restraint, work defensively, zero in on certain weaknesses... well you know how it goes. 85% great and 15% frustrating is the way I would break it down. The one thing, besides some frustrating bits, that I didn't like is that the harder difficulty cuts down on your arsenal of combos for obvious reasons.

Going into God of War 3, how does the "hard" difficulty compare to the 2nd games? Also, how is the length? 2nd game took me just about 18 hours to complete(according to the save file at least) which was surprisingly long. Which would you recommend, normal or hard?

LosDaddie

Banned
TTG said:
Going into God of War 3, how does the "hard" difficulty compare to the 2nd games? Also, how is the length? 2nd game took me just about 18 hours to complete(according to the save file at least) which was surprisingly long. Which would you recommend, normal or hard?

Titan is certainly do-able, but it was too much trial-n-error for me. I recommend God (Normal) difficulty. Game length should be no more than 12hrs....I'd say about 10hrs actually.

But this is GAF, so I'm sure you'll hear that Titan was easy and that they only died a few times.

obaidr

Banned
LosDaddie said:
Titan is certainly do-able, but it was too much trial-n-error for me. I recommend God (Normal) difficulty. Game length should be no more than 12hrs....I'd say about 10hrs actually.

But this is GAF, so I'm sure you'll hear that Titan was easy and that they only died a few times.

Titan is EASY. It is very easy acctually except the boss fights. I am at the
scropion
boss and i died about 20-30 times already. It is just unfair.

TTG

LosDaddie said:

Thanks for the info. If it's shorter than GOD2, I think I might as well at least start of hard and go back if it's too frustrating. Like I said, the percentage for GOW2 was 85/15, majority of it being just right.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
obaidr said:
Titan is EASY. It is very easy acctually except the boss fights. I am at the
scropion
boss and i died about 20-30 times already. It is just unfair.

Really? That fight is crazy easy..even on titan:

You want the max upgraded cestus equipped at all times. Simply scoot around to the legs and go crazy, when he does the animation to slam his tail onto the ground, just jump up and air dash away towards the screen. Run back, repeat. Punch him in the face, quicktime. Now do the exact same thing from the first stage, but remember to run before he begins his breath attack. Kill the littel scorps for health. The only part you might actually die on is the avoiding falling ice spikes part, other than that there's no attack he has that should hit you.

Titan in GOW3 was ridiculously easy and I actually beat it faster than my easy run. Titan in GOW1, however, still gives me nightmares..

CozMick said:
Alternate ending? extended ending?

I bloody hope so.

Game director has said that the epilogue at the end was cut from the game and that might come as DLC. I think in the Destructoid interview he says that, it involved a battle with a titan and Zues, like 1vs1vs1 is the way I understood it.

TTG

Decided to stick to normal, this is the third god of war game in a row so I'm trying to keep the frustration to a minimum. :lol

What I figure I'll do instead though is dump all the red orbs into the other weapons and use them exclusively. The first one(
Hade's blades
) is fucking awesome, huge step up from the previous 2 games. Plus, upgrading the blades for the third time to get the same combos would suck.

worldrevolution said:
Really? That fight is crazy easy..even on titan:

You want the max upgraded cestus equipped at all times. Simply scoot around to the legs and go crazy, when he does the animation to slam his tail onto the ground, just jump up and air dash away towards the screen. Run back, repeat. Punch him in the face, quicktime. Now do the exact same thing from the first stage, but remember to run before he begins his breath attack. Kill the littel scorps for health. The only part you might actually die on is the avoiding falling ice spikes part, other than that there's no attack he has that should hit you.

Titan in GOW3 was ridiculously easy and I actually beat it faster than my easy run. Titan in GOW1, however, still gives me nightmares..
Any tips for cerberus and his two goat friends on Chaos mode? I got to the cerberus' second head. That's about it

Does anyone else have this glitch?

At the very start of the game after you kill the first set of enemies the cut-scene for Gaia blowing away the fire doesn’t always register leaving you stuck.

It’s happened about 5 times now and it’s so annoying! It took me ages just to start my Titan run through since I had to watch the opening so many times!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tricky I Shadow said:

At the very start of the game after you kill the first set of enemies the cut-scene for Gaia blowing away the fire doesn’t always register leaving you stuck.

It’s happened about 5 times now and it’s so annoying! It took me ages just to start my Titan run through since I had to watch the opening so many times!

Nope. I've re-played the opening at least a few times now.

Wesker

Tricky I Shadow said:

Yes, it happened to me.
But you can simply load the last checkpoint, without rewatching the full intro.

LosDaddie

Banned
daxter01 said:

I can confirm this is true. Claws of Hades and Helios' head stayed powered up for me last night. I'll try to finish this game soon so I can confirm the Titan gold trophy (or not) using the glitch.

You know, it's a shame you have to glitch to get a NewGame+ mode. I think I'm enjoying this playthrough more than my 1st playthrough.

Trickster

Urgh, I have this game sitting in front of me atm, just begging me to play it. But I have the GoW 1+2 collection thing coming in 2 days, and I'd really love to play them in the right order. This wait is torture :lol

Canova

Banned
Trickster said:
Urgh, I have this game sitting in front of me atm, just begging me to play it. But I have the GoW 1+2 collection thing coming in 2 days, and I'd really love to play them in the right order. This wait is torture :lol

you have to resist. GOW3 graphic will spoil you. It's like trying to have sex with your gf after having sex with Scarlet Johannsen

Owzers

Absoludacrous said:
So I've stayed out of this thread for the most part since I'm still slowly working my way through the GoW Collection, but my friend finally started it up and keeps complaining about constant glitches. Kratos disappearing in the Poisdeon fight and falling through the floor and stuff. Is this a common thing?

I had about 3 or 4 glitches while playing, two times i had to restart the game because the game couldn't tell that all enemies were defeated so it wouldn't clear the room, and another time when an enemy got stuck behind something while underground so i was searching all over before struggling to unbug it.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
canova said:
you have to resist. GOW3 graphic will spoil you. It's like trying to have sex with your gf after having sex with Scarlet Johannsen

Mine collection is coming in 2 weeks :(((

-viper-

Banned
GoWIII is easily the best game in the series. Best graphics, best combat and easily the best and most memorable bosses. EVERY single boss fight was epic (except the last (3rd) battle with Zeus, which sucked, hard).

The fact there are nearly no puzzles in the game is also nice. GoWI and GoWII are games that I found incredibly boring on my second playthrough (via the remastered PS3 edition). It just didn't have the same impact on me as I originally played the game. I felt I had to force myself to complete some sections of GoW and GoW II. There is no way I'll ever replay those games again. They're great games when you play them once, but doing all the puzzles again is so boring.

GoWIII on the other hand feels great every time I play it. I agree the game lacks environmental variety and but personally I think that is the only downside of this game. Everything else has been improved. The scale, the set pieces, the music (especially when you are fighting Hercules. That was the most epic fight in any video game I played!), the combat and of course, the amazing graphics, were all top notch. I loved the motion blur. Makes it the best looking console game I've played.

GoWIII > GoWII > GoW

After seeing Clash Of The Titans I honestly crave more God Of War. I really hope they make another game.

But seriously, WTF at the lack of costumes. I want a mode where I can play with all my weapons, magic and health upgrades now I've platinumed the game. No New Game+ really does suck. And eurgh @ unskippable cutscenes. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

kikanny

-viper- said:
GoWIII is easily the best game in the series. Best graphics, best combat and easily the best and most memorable bosses. EVERY single boss fight was epic (except the last (3rd) battle with Zeus).

The fact there are nearly no puzzles in the game is also nice. GoWI and GoWII are games that I found incredibly boring on my second playthrough (via the remastered PS3 edition). It just didn't have the same impact on me as I originally played the game. I felt I had to force myself to complete some sections of GoW and GoW II. There is no way I'll ever replay those games again. They're great games when you play them once, but doing all the puzzles again is so boring.

GoWIII on the other hand feels great every time I play it. I agree the game lacks environmental variety and but personally I think that is the only downside of this game. Everything else has been improved. The scale, the set pieces, the music (especially when you are fighting Hercules. That was the most epic fight in any video game I played!), the combat and of course, the amazing graphics, were all top notch. I loved the motion blur. Makes it the best looking console game I've played.

After seeing Clash Of The Titans I honestly crave more God Of War. I really hope they make another game.

But seriously, WTF at the lack of costumes. I want a mode where I can play with all my weapons, magic and health upgrades now I've platinumed the game. No New Game+ really does suck. And eurgh @ unskippable cutscenes. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?
You're health, magic and item bars can be maxed at the beginning with the use of the godly possessions you collect. Trophies are disabled though, if you care about that.

-viper-

Banned
kikanny said:
You're health, magic and item bars can be maxed at the beginning with the use of the godly possessions you collect. Trophies are disabled though, if you care about that.
Which possession does that?

Has anyone else had problems with GOW3 skin codes not working ? What did you do to get it working or how do you obtain a working code ?

I tried to give an Apollo code away yesterday, but when he enters it, its coming up saying invalid . The code should work as it was only sent to me .

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MentalNoiz said:
Has anyone else had problems with GOW3 skin codes not working ? What did you do to get it working or how do you obtain a working code ?

I tried to give an Apollo code away yesterday, but when he enters it, its coming up saying invalid . The code should work as it was only sent to me .
It's not a PSN code. You have to to godofwar.com/skins and enter it there. They'll email you the PSN code. It could take awhile to receive that. It's an annoying process.

Speevy

Banned
Beat the game for the first time and I have to say it's a really well done game.

I have some gripes here and there, but overall the experience was epic and rewarding. The game shines best I think when something truly over-the-top is happening (such as the Cronos fight), and sags a bit when you're exploring more earthly environments (like the caves).

Scope was freaking amazing, graphics were often a 9 and sometimes a 10. Not quite at UC2's consistency.

Music was good.

The rescue sequences were intense. I loved those. Flying sequences were fun but I bumped my head far more than I should have. I mean I may be slow but I'm not that slow; cut me some slack here.

I think the greatest challenge the developers faced this time around is that they were unable to disguise the PS3's limitations in the way that they broke through the PS2's. With God of War 1 and 2, you were constantly asking yourself "How is something on that scale possible? I know this console is 5-7 years old." But this time all those amazing feats of technology were possible and on display, which made the more ordinary parts of the game look all the more ordinary.

The Max Payne bit at the end was a nice touch, but I would have preferred a few more sequences that established this game's identity. I kept saying "Wow that was amazing, reminded me of..." throughout the game.

Maybe the original God of War change game development so much that it was difficult for Sony Santa Monica to challenge themselves this time around.

Whatever the case, God of War 3 is a memorable end to a landmark series in gaming history, and stands like a titan above other entries in the combo action genre this generation.

The rescue sequences were intense. I loved those. Flying sequences were fun but I bumped my head far more than I should have. I mean I may be slow but I'm not that slow; cut me some slack here.

Did you use the quick dodge on the right analog?

Speevy

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Did you use the quick dodge on the right analog?

Yes. It wasn't that I was hitting everything. What happened was that I couldn't see the openings. They should have spaced them out a bit more.

Not a big problem though. I only died once I think.

Speevy said:
Yes. It wasn't that I was hitting everything. What happened was that I couldn't see the openings. They should have spaced them out a bit more.

Not a big problem though. I only died once I think.

i thought the controls were shit in that segment.
it was easy to co plete, byt i really hated it.

Kimosabae

Banned
Near the end. The game seems inconsistent visually. While the Titan and Hades portions are sights to behold, everything between seems below that par. The camera is often so far away, the game simply feels like a higher resolution GoW2. The game's apex seemed to be its opening sequences, and it kind of steadily drops from that point.

While the game has some of the most impressive visual moments I've ever seen, I still have to go with Uncharted 2 as the most impressive looking game this generation. It's more consistent and holds up better under scrutiny.

RoboPlato said:
It's not a PSN code. You have to to godofwar.com/skins and enter it there. They'll email you the PSN code. It could take awhile to receive that. It's an annoying process.

I appreciate the reponse, but I did do all of that . The final code sent to me does not work for some reason .

Kimosabae said:
Near the end. The game seems inconsistent visually. While the Titan and Hades portions are sights to behold, everything between seems below that par. The camera is often so far away, the game simply feels like a higher resolution GoW2. The game's apex seemed to be its opening sequences, and it kind of steadily drops from that point.

While the game has some of the most impressive visual moments I've ever seen,
yeah, but come on.. the textures, the lighting, the character models, the AA..
holy fuck.. i'm amazed of what i see. even in the in between areas.

what screen are you playing on?

and sure, the further you pan out, the less the details become appearent.

TTG

Would like some advice on how to upgrade the weaponry on my first time through the game. I'm using the secondary weapons exclusively, so do I save the orbs for something awesome down the line or dump them into the
Hade's blades thingy
?

-viper-

Banned
TTG said:
Would like some advice on how to upgrade the weaponry on my first time through the game. I'm using the secondary weapons exclusively, so do I save the orbs for something awesome down the line or dump them into the
Hade's blades thingy
?
The best weapons are the Blades of Exile and Cestus. The last weapon is good way to easily kill the Satyr's. Don't bother with hades blades. They are crap.

Kimosabae

Banned
Always-honest said:
yeah, but come on.. the textures, the lighting, the character models, the AA..
holy fuck.. i'm amazed of what i see. even in the in between areas.

what screen are you playing on?

and sure, the further you pan out, the less the details become appearent.

I'm playing on a G10 Panny - definitely not the TV.

Actually, I often find some of the textures to be the biggest offenders. Sometimes they're razor sharp, but often times in gameplay sequences, certain texture resolutions ain't so hot.

I mean, this is all petty nitpicking. It's generally one of the most amazing looking games ever.

But sits just below Uncharted 2 (IMO). Nothing wrong with that.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
CozMick said:
Alternate ending? extended ending?

I bloody hope so.

ending that doesnt have to do with cheesy ass fucking
hope
?

gow3 was pretty much the perfect action game apart from that aspect of the ending though.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Kimosabae said:

While the game has some of the most impressive visual moments I've ever seen, I still have to go with Uncharted 2 as the most impressive looking game this generation. It's more consistent and holds up better under scrutiny.
i disagree, the game was very consistent

TTG

-viper- said:
The best weapons are the Blades of Exile and Cestus. The last weapon is good way to easily kill the Satyr's. Don't bother with hades blades. They are crap.

Yea, they're kinda clunky, but still much better than the stuff from the previous games. :lol I love the little magic summon thing too. I'll keep a nice surplus of orbs then, thanks for the info.

Top Bottom