• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Lince

Banned
while GOWII is a better package overall GOWIII has the best combat so it's automatically my favorite. Anyway, I just want another God of War, this engine just can't be put to sleep ffs.

Lince said:
while GOWII is a better package overall GOWIII has the best combat so it's automatically my favorite. Anyway, I just want another God of War, this engine just can't be put to sleep ffs.

i agree with you on the combat and that is why i think god of war 3 is the best god of war, but i also think that god of war 3 has the best boss battles, which automatically makes it a better "package overall".

You have to get this wrapped up, there's stuff going on here. There's the military with the Titans [from the bonus unlockable scene in God of War II]. What going on with that, Stig? What do you know? Tell me!

That's one of my favorite ones. You have to talk to [God of War I director] Dave [Jaffe] about that. Those were his ideas.

I don't remember ever seeing that Unlockable Scene. Anyone know where I can find it or what I should search for on youtube?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
BruceLeeRoy said:
I don't remember ever seeing that Unlockable Scene. Anyone know where I can find it or what I should search for on youtube?

I've never heard about that either. The only thing I could think of would be the 'Fate of the Titan' video from GoW 1.

Host Samurai said:
IDK if anybody has posted this yet so If its old than sorry. But here Stig confirms that GOW3 was bigger in the Alpha stage and they had to cut some levels and bosses

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242330

"We had a creature named Argus who had a hundred eyes, and he was a creature that was designed to have use the Helios head to defeat him," said Asmussen. "You had to make him close his eyes, and he'd get blinded. You couldn't defeat him unless he's blind, and then he'd go into this kind of blind rage, and you had to fight him. He was fun. It was fun."

"[Argus] was going to be another surprise thing. You know how we had kind of secrets where you could use the Helios head to find them? We were going to have those secrets paced out so you find four or five of those, and you'd get a chest in each one.

"Then in one, we were going to have basically a reveal where you'd expect to see a chest there -- setting up expectations and then breaking it -- and out of the darkness this Argus would leap out, and you'd have to fight him."

Yeah, uh, Stig.. Argos was killed in GoW: Betrayal.

kodt

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I must be one of the only few people in this thread who actually liked GoW2 more than this game. The graphics are by far some of the best I've seen this generation, but I just felt like the boss fights were weak compared to GoW2. Not to mention the level designs and puzzles. Practically no puzzles in GoW3.

Still a great game, though.

I agree. 3 had some sweet boss fights, but I still liked 2 better. 2 had much better puzzles, and I liked the locations more.

Also, I was hoping for Kratos' brother to show up.

LosDaddie

Banned
Rez said:
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I must be one of the only few people in this thread who actually liked GoW2 more than this game. The graphics are by far some of the best I've seen this generation, but I just felt like the boss fights were weak compared to GoW2. Not to mention the level designs and puzzles. Practically no puzzles in GoW3.

Still a great game, though.
I think this is the commonly held opinion.

Yup, I finished GoW3 last night and that's how I feel about the trilogy. In fact, other than their QTE button complaints, I agree with everything the GiantBomb guys said about this game.

Still, this game was worth every penny and I already started my
NewGame+ glitched
Titan playthrough. Hopefully I can platinum this game by next week

Halcyon

Boombloxer said:
Platinum all shined up.

By the Gods, what do I do now?

I was thinkin that too because I don't think i'm finished with the game right now. I'd try chaos but I don't want to hate myself, so I'll probably do a Normal run with a skin/godly possession and just try to use the different weapons more or something.

I also might just replay uncharted 2 :eek:

ElyrionX

I think I'm still pretty early in this game. I just picked up the Sword of Olympus but I really have no motivation at all to go back and play this. The game opened with such a bang (the Titans climbing Mt. Olympus was so awesome to behold) but it's been downhill ever since. I never played GoW1 but I think it's lame that they do the same thing in GoW2 and 3 where they start you off all powerful and then they find some reason to strip you of all your powers.

Also, the combat is shallow and the platforming is a lot more annoying than it needs to be. It doesn't make any sense at all that Kratos can jump sky-high when attacking but when it comes to platforming, he jumps like a mouse. It feels too weighted and I've died a few times unnecessarily because it's so hard to get a feel on timing the double jump (since the window is so small). It's ridiculous.

Also, I don't know where everyone is coming from with regards to the graphics. Sure, it looks great but it's not even close to the standard set by Uncharted 2. It looks just like any other good HD game this generation.

Once again, it's like Uncharted 2 all over again for me. The game starts off with a huge bang but the experience eventually wears thin due to shallow gameplay (yes, I think the gunplay in Uncharted 2 is bad though the platforming does make up for it somewhat). Having played (and not finish) GoW2, I got caught up in the hype and came into GoW3 hoping to be surprised but it's been such a letdown.

MoxManiac

HAven't finished GoW3 yet so I can't agree/disagree, but GoW1 did the same thing. I don't remember anything in the rest of GoW1 having the same impact as the kraken fight/boat area at the start.

Owzers

I ended up selling my copy over much deliberation. I really don't like this generation of gaming, it seems like everyone is so caught up in trying to get a working engine that the game takes incredible sacrifices. FFXIII and God of War 3 might be the most disappointing hype month of gaming this generation for me.

I still have God of War 1 and 2 on ps2...feels weird to have sold 3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ElyrionX said:
I think I'm still pretty early in this game. I just picked up the Sword of Olympus but I really have no motivation at all to go back and play this. The game opened with such a bang (the Titans climbing Mt. Olympus was so awesome to behold) but it's been downhill ever since.

Also, I don't know where everyone is coming from with regards to the graphics. Sure, it looks great but it's not even close to the standard set by Uncharted 2. It looks just like any other good HD game this generation.

In terms of pure spectacle I don't agree with the first. The indoor bits 'along the way' are (somewhat necessarily, I suppose) less spectacular, but the more outdoor stuff and some the later 'events' are definitely on a par with or beat the opening.

As for the second point...IMO, at its best, it exceeds even UC2 - not in all respects, but overall . It's not nearly as consistent as UC2 is - the indoor areas and a few of the NPCs a long the way aren't up to the standards set elsewhere, but I can think of little that's better than things like Cronos or the Hades environment or the pit of tartarus environments. The cinematic effects - the blurs in other words - I think are even better and used better too. In concert, parts of this game look like concept art or CG. So yeah, it's not as universally brilliant as UC2 in these respects, but when it's good, it's really, really good.

I really enjoyed 3. I wasn't crazy about 2 really, but had a blast with this one. The combat was just all around so much more fun and smooth, and all around more epic. To me 2 while improved, was somewhat lame story wise and felt bland after the initial Colossus battle. 3 while it does start crazy epic and then tones down, still felt overly epic throughout to me with amazing battles over and over again.

Lince

Banned
ElyrionX said:

it's like Uncharted 2 all over again for me. The game starts off with a huge bang but the experience eventually wears thin due to shallow gameplay (yes, I think the gunplay in Uncharted 2 is bad though the platforming does make up for it somewhat).

are you serious? GOWIII looks like any other good HD game? and Uncharted 2 shallow? Respect your opinions and all that but I'm glad not to be you, sure you're hardly enjoying good games these days.

Ferrio

Banned
So i finally picked this up. So far my most deaths *by far* is from failing to double jump. Some reason kratos just fails to do it sometimes, and double jumping is suppose to be the easiest mechanic in any platformer. I don't know why he doesn't do it sometimes... but it's pissing me off. Anyone else have this problem?

Melchiah

Host Samurai said:
IDK if anybody has posted this yet so If its old than sorry. But here Stig confirms that GOW3 was bigger in the Alpha stage and they had to cut some levels and bosses

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242330

"We had a creature named Argus who had a hundred eyes, and he was a creature that was designed to have use the Helios head to defeat him," said Asmussen. "You had to make him close his eyes, and he'd get blinded. You couldn't defeat him unless he's blind, and then he'd go into this kind of blind rage, and you had to fight him. He was fun. It was fun."

Damn. That sounds like it would have been fun. Plus, I would have very much wanted to see that creature with a hundred eyes.

The Chef

ElyrionX said:
I think I'm still pretty early in this game. I just picked up the Sword of Olympus but I really have no motivation at all to go back and play this. The game opened with such a bang (the Titans climbing Mt. Olympus was so awesome to behold) but it's been downhill ever since. I never played GoW1 but I think it's lame that they do the same thing in GoW2 and 3 where they start you off all powerful and then they find some reason to strip you of all your powers.

Also, the combat is shallow and the platforming is a lot more annoying than it needs to be. It doesn't make any sense at all that Kratos can jump sky-high when attacking but when it comes to platforming, he jumps like a mouse. It feels too weighted and I've died a few times unnecessarily because it's so hard to get a feel on timing the double jump (since the window is so small). It's ridiculous.

Once again, it's like Uncharted 2 all over again for me. The game starts off with a huge bang but the experience eventually wears thin due to shallow gameplay (yes, I think the gunplay in Uncharted 2 is bad though the platforming does make up for it somewhat). Having played (and not finish) GoW2, I got caught up in the hype and came into GoW3 hoping to be surprised but it's been such a letdown.

What a surprising day ElyrionX uses a high-profile Sony exclusive to announce his disappointment not only in that game but to ultimately shit over as many Sony games as possible. Damn you are such a joke.

nskinnear said:
Yeah, this has been a problem for quite a few people. You just have to jump a little bit before the edge of the cliff/ledge. Something about the invisible walls prevents you from jumping right at the edge.

Also people that continue to have a problem with the double jump are just...well maybe a bit slow in the ole abdoola.

Also, if anyone has issues with the 1000-hit combo, there is always the Molasses method.

Just after the Hera's Garden, you have to cross a pit with some harpies. They each give 3-4 hits before you jump to the next one. Rinse and repeat

Everyone died on Hades Claws for me.

ElyrionX

Ferrio said:
So i finally picked this up. So far my most deaths *by far* is from failing to double jump. Some reason kratos just fails to do it sometimes, and double jumping is suppose to be the easiest mechanic in any platformer. I don't know why he doesn't do it sometimes... but it's pissing me off. Anyone else have this problem?

Yep, pretty much the same for me. You need to time it and it's hard to time it when Kratos gains so little height when jumping.

The Chef said:
What a surprising day ElyrionX uses a high-profile Sony exclusive to announce his disappointment not only in that game but to ultimately shit over as many Sony games as possible. Damn you are such a joke.

Metalmurphy said:
I'm looking forward to your next PS3 title bashing. It's always entertaining to read.

Yep, bash a few of the fanboys' favourite chest-thumping titles and people think you have an agenda.

Sorry kids but I've got better things to do and think about. My favourite games this generation have been multiplatform titles, not exclusives. And if you really want to talk about exclusives, the one I have enjoyed most this gen is MGS4.

Facism

ElyrionX said:
Yep, pretty much the same for me. You need to time it and it's hard to time it when Kratos gains so little height when jumping.

Yep, bash a few of the fanboys' favourite chest-thumping titles and people think you have an agenda.

Sorry kids but I've got better things to do and think about. My favourite games this generation have been multiplatform titles, not exclusives. And if you really want to talk about exclusives, the one I have enjoyed most this gen is MGS4.

who cares, ignore them

Nizz

gofreak said:
In terms of pure spectacle I don't agree with the first. The indoor bits 'along the way' are (somewhat necessarily, I suppose) less spectacular, but the more outdoor stuff and some the later 'events' are definitely on a par with or beat the opening.

As for the second point...IMO, at its best, it exceeds even UC2 - not in all respects, but overall . It's not nearly as consistent as UC2 is - the indoor areas and a few of the NPCs a long the way aren't up to the standards set elsewhere, but I can think of little that's better than things like Cronos or the Hades environment or the pit of tartarus environments. The cinematic effects - the blurs in other words - I think are even better and used better too. In concert, parts of this game look like concept art or CG. So yeah, it's not as universally brilliant as UC2 in these respects, but when it's good, it's really, really good.
Those were some of my favorite areas in the game. :) All the ash flying around in the Tartarus level, and just the pure scale of fighting Cronos. I'm really impressed with this game. I don't usually play action/adventure games, mostly fps games. But the GoW games I've always liked. I think I like all three equally.

I started a new run on easy to score some more trophies and I'm really getting a chance to soak it all in a little more now (played it on normal). I think I might try to attempt my first platinum with this game. The challenges have been kind of tough for me though.

So far, I've beaten Bare Hands, Population Control, and Get Stoned (that was a tough one for me). I tried the Matador challenge and the one with the urns and was unsuccessful with both. But I'll try again.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
ok a few questions.

-I never played a God of War, I just bought GoW 3, should I wait and buy the other 2 ? for story sake? or isnt that important

- Is there any "last time on God of War" feature in the game?

- is Normal too easy? maybe I should being on hard or something...

- I hope the game has some replayability....

dgenx said:
ok a few questions.

-I never played a God of War, I just bought GoW 3, should I wait and buy the other 2 ? for story sake? or isnt that important

- Personally, yes I'd start with the first 2. The story does follow on, but really, you'd be missing 2 awesome games anyways, so you should be playing them by default.

- Nope, the games start off with a bang, no messing around with "Last time on..."

- Normal's fine, wouldn't say overly easy (or difficult by any means) but I don't know your skill level.

- Depends if you want to Platinum them I guess. There's nothing to really go back through them for to collect other things other than Trophy completion or to just replay their awesomeness all over again.

Combichristoffersen

Katana_Strikes said:
- Nope, the games start off with a bang, no messing around with "Last time on..."

- Normal's fine, wouldn't say overly easy (or difficult by any means) but I don't know your skill level.

There is a sort of 'last time on..', but it's in the intro video (to give newcomers to the franchise a quick rundown on what happened in GoW 1 and 2), so it's not really obtrusive in any way.

And yeah, normal is a perfectly fine difficulty level :)

Combichristoffersen

purple cobra said:
So far, I've beaten Bare Hands, Population Control, and Get Stoned (that was a tough one for me). I tried the Matador challenge and the one with the urns and was unsuccessful with both. But I'll try again.

Tip for the Matador challenge:
Stand at the edge of the arena, and when the minotaur charges you, double jump to make it run over the edge. Kill the grunts by using the blades with the L1+[] combo. Repeat the minotaur trick, and kill the grunts. for the final wave, there will be minotaurs and grunts, so try to get at least two of the minotaurs to run over the edge, and kill the final minotaur (and the grunts) with the blades.

Canova

Banned
dgenx said:
ok a few questions.

yes start with the other 2 first.

GOW3 graphic will spoil you.

It would be hard to go back to the first 2 after GOW3

jmd494

Combichristoffersen said:
Tip for the Matador challenge:
Stand at the edge of the arena, and when the minotaur charges you, double jump to make it run over the edge. Kill the grunts by using the blades with the L1+[] combo. Repeat the minotaur trick, and kill the grunts. for the final wave, there will be minotaurs and grunts, so try to get at least two of the minotaurs to run over the edge, and kill the final minotaur (and the grunts) with the blades.
Do this EXCEPT...on the final wave...use the blade of olympus (r3+l3). You'll kill most of the enemies without being able to lose while in that state.

ChryZ

I played the collection pretty recently and finished part three last weekend. I've enjoyed GoW3 the most, especially its combat. Well, the eye candy helped too :p

Gomu Gomu

Hey guys I have a question. So I found an Asian version of this game. It was pretty damn cheap too. But I was afraid that it might be different or has some cut out parts or something. The guy told me everything is in English. But I don't know. Do you guys know if different versions of GoWIII have different content?
Thanks anyways.

hamchan

Gomu Gomu said:
Hey guys I have a question. So I found an Asian version of this game. It was pretty damn cheap too. But I was afraid that it might be different or has some cut out parts or something. The guy told me everything is in English. But I don't know. Do you guys know if different versions of GoWIII have different content?
Thanks anyways.
I'm playing the Asian version right now. It's in full English so no problem there. I don't think anything is censored, i'm only 3 hours into the game and it's been non stop violence.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Gomu Gomu said:
Thanks anyways.

Aphrodite's tits are censored (she's wearing a top in the Japanese, no top in the Euro-version), that's all I know about content-wise differences

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I reject the opinion I've read around here a few times that can be summed up as 'Uncharted 2 is more consistent visually, but GOW3 hits higher highs'. Nothing in God of War 3 was as impressive to me as watching the camera subtly shake with the train car over the hill or as climbing around the giant mirror room or as looking out of the beautiful village or the -- etc etc etc. Pick a chapter in the game, nearly all of them have an awesome moment or three.

Put your Uncharted 2 disc in. Start playing Chapter 5 for best affect, but maybe Chapter 2 if you want. Say wow. Then keep playing and remember why Uncharted 2 is the best looking PS3 game by a fairly comfortable margin.

Classic24

Banned
yeah i guess I would agree uncharted 2 was more "consistent" but god of war 3 had a much bigger scale, and the animations in god of war 3 were godly. oh and did i mention......... BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD! I agree some characters like hera looked quite average

butts

Just picked this up yesterday and only got up to the point where I killed Poseiden but DAMN that intro was incredible! Really amazing looking game, the scale and effects were awesome.

Gomu Gomu

neorej said:
Aphrodite's tits are censored (she's wearing a top in the Japanese, no top in the Euro-version), that's all I know about content-wise differences
It's not the Japanese version though!
I think it's Chinese.

edit: Found the cover picture:
szzK8.jpg

LosDaddie

Banned
Anybody else have some experience with the NewGame+ glitch?

I did the glitch for my Titan playthrough and here are my impressions 3hrs in:
  • It's fun having all the weapons maxed out in the beginning
  • I'm guessing every weapon gets powered-down to Level 1 when you obtain the weapon in the game. This happened to me with the Blades of Exile
  • The Cetus is a real beast on the early enemies :D
  • You can definitely crash the game using this glitch. I crashed the game by destoying the blue crystals on the Three Judges' heads when you first enter that area. Had to shut off my PS3 :lol

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Gomu Gomu said:
It's not the Japanese version though!
I think it's Chinese.

edit: Found the cover picture:
szzK8.jpg

I have that one too!

jett

D-Member
LosDaddie said:
Anybody else have some experience with the NewGame+ glitch?

I did the glitch for my Titan playthrough and here are my impressions 3hrs in:
  • It's fun having all the weapons maxed out in the beginning
  • I'm guessing every weapon gets powered-down to Level 1 when you obtain the weapon in the game. This happened to me with the Blades of Exile
  • The Cetus is a real beast on the early enemies :D
  • You can definitely crash the game using this glitch. I crashed the game by destoying the blue crystals on the Three Judges' heads when you first enter that area. Had to shut off my PS3 :lol

My experience is that your health/defense is crazy high and it's impossible to die no matter the difficulty you choose.

Top Bottom