• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
TTG said:
Yea, they're kinda clunky, but still much better than the stuff from the previous games. :lol I love the little magic summon thing too. I'll keep a nice surplus of orbs then, thanks for the info.

The worst thing about the previous games is that the sub-weapons had no advantage over the blades unless you exploited the game to have the enemies trapped behind a gate or whatever (such as when you have to protect the translator), in which case the shockwave/blast attacks come in handy. The bow in particular was always useless thanks to its ammo type; whereas, in GoW3, it's one of my most-used weapons.

TTG

JaseC said:
The worst thing about the previous games is that the sub-weapons had no advantage over the blades unless you exploited the game to have the enemies trapped behind a gate or whatever (such as when you have to protect the translator), in which case the shockwave/blast attacks come in handy. The bow in particular was always useless thanks to its ammo type; whereas, in GoW3, it's one of my most-used weapons.

My first(and only) impressions of the sub-weapons as I played through the God of War Collection before starting God of War 3:

1. Well, this looks like ass. The animation is bad

2. Oh god, Kratos is so fucking slow.

3. There's still some things I need to practice with the blades.

The end.

Anyway, thanks to viper's advice, I had enough orbs to max the Cestus as soon as I got it. Not a huge fan of the heavy weapons in action games, so we'll see how it goes.

koene

JaseC said:

Barbarian hammer + Bow cancel = win ! It makes both weapons very usefull.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
-viper- said:
The best weapons are the Blades of Exile and Cestus. The last weapon is good way to easily kill the Satyr's. Don't bother with hades blades. They are crap.

Really? I liked the Blades of Hades, while the Cestus were probably my least used weapon. Nemesis Whip was completely awesome though.

hamchan

Just finished the game, an amazing experience. I'm a bit iffy on the ending but other than that I think I like this more than GOW2.

So yeah. In GoW 2, I got to the Cerberus-pups part in titan mode and quit because of vertical difficulty.
In GoW 3, I got to the Cerberus-satyrs part in Chaos mode and quit
:lol

Tideas

Banned
just beat the game. let's talk spoilers.

Sooo, when Zeus said to GAIA, 'you should have chosen the other', is this a hint at a sequel/prequel etc?

Did anyone noticed that when the camera pulled up as Kratos was bleeding to death, there is an image of a bird below him? Phoenix anybody?

After the credit, his body is gone. But why the prolonge shot of the horizon? Did I miss something?

Ummm, what was teh point of doing all that work to open Pandora's Box to kill Zeus if all Kratos had to do was use his Blade of Olympus?

I mean, he had been killing God the game by breaking their neck and etc, so why was Zeus special to need to do all that laboring?

spidye

I got it today and there are no words to describe how awesome it is.
anyway the framerate seems to be varying, isn't it? I have no problems in fights but the jumping from 60 frames to 30 is sooo distracting for me. and it seems so random the jumping. everytime when the camera moves to show a location it looks like the game stutters and then when you fight it's butter smooth. It's a pet peeve of mine. I know something is wrong with me.
still so awesome and the fight against
poseidon
wow, just wow.

StuBurns

Banned
Tideas said:
just beat the game. let's talk spoilers.

Sooo, when Zeus said to GAIA, 'you should have chosen the other', is this a hint at a sequel/prequel etc?

Did anyone noticed that when the camera pulled up as Kratos was bleeding to death, there is an image of a bird below him? Phoenix anybody?

After the credit, his body is gone. But why the prolonge shot of the horizon? Did I miss something?

Ummm, what was teh point of doing all that work to open Pandora's Box to kill Zeus if all Kratos had to do was use his Blade of Olympus?

I mean, he had been killing God the game by breaking their neck and etc, so why was Zeus special to need to do all that laboring?

There is a spoiler thread for these very questions.

TTG

Combichristoffersen said:
Really? I liked the Blades of Hades, while the Cestus were probably my least used weapon. Nemesis Whip was completely awesome though.

The only thing I don't like about the blades of hades is that Kratos is really lunging forward on some of those combos. A lot of time you want to keep some distance. Also, the L1 + moves are fairly useless unless it's that grab. The "rolling" animation and the soul summoning make up for it though, bad ass. :lol

The whips are just so much fun to use. The amount of different shit you can chain together in one combo is insane. I feel like if I had a good grasp on switching weapons mid combo, it would make the possibilities practically endless.

Cestus is just a wrecking ball of a thing. It's not particularly fun to use, but very effective.

Not using the blades at all, I do miss them. There are certain situations where all of the subweapons feel inadequate. Gonna wait for the next playthrough to use them. I'm also finding that I almost never use the "items".

Dartastic

So, I'm about to enter
the Labyrinth, I assume. Just finished that ballista puzzle.
I'm borrowing my friend's PS3, and I told him I'd finish the game in two days. How much longer do I have to go?

BeeDog

Dartastic said:
So, I'm about to enter
the Labyrinth, I assume. Just finished that ballista puzzle.
I'm borrowing my friend's PS3, and I told him I'd finish the game in two days. How much longer do I have to go?

Not that much, you're about 85 % finished.

Tideas said:
Spoilar thread.

Anyways to answer your question,
when Kratos falls into Styx and meets ghost Athena for the first time, she reveals to him that Zeus will not fall easily like the other gods. The reason is because the source of Zeus' power lies in the Flame of Olympus. So to destroy Zeus, Kratos must seek out the Flame and destroy it.

Ferrio said:
I hated the whip... soon as I got it "This is crap!". Went back to my cestus.

Your testing period was flawed.

Find a crowd and watch them get sliced to ribbons--once I hit them with the whip, es todo--consistent chain blade combos/stun.

Try Holding X after a few blows, the blades keep slicing. Pretty sure some of that depends on level, but when powered up, You can do that after every hit.

anddo0

Zeus on titan?

I'm about ready to give up. I get get him him to the second phase in gaia's heart, but things fall apart once he starts cloning, I'm using the nemesis whip, but it does little once there are 5 clones on the screen.

spidye

guys, I am getting a little bit worried here. I know the frame rate is not fixed at 60 frames but I noticed some framedrops below the 30 fps mark during the game. I don't know if this is normal or if my ps3 is dying. the game runs perfectly smooth during the fights.
I tried other games like street fighter or fifa 10 and both run really smooth.
is there a problem with my copy or ps3?

Nizz

Zombie James said:
Holy shit, that
Hercules fight
was epic.
Wasn't it? :D
How Kratos beats his face to a pulp till there's pretty much nothing left. Brutal but epic.

TTG

spidye said:
guys, I am getting a little bit worried here. I know the frame rate is not fixed at 60 frames but I noticed some framedrops below the 30 fps mark during the game. I don't know if this is normal or if my ps3 is dying. the game runs perfectly smooth during the fights.
I tried other games like street fighter or fifa 10 and both run really smooth.
is there a problem with my copy or ps3?

There are some very slight frame rate issues, mostly when the camera pans around. The visuals are a double edged sword. On one hand, God of War 3 is probably the best looking game out right now on consoles, it's jaw dropping. On the other hand, you can just tell that it was an incredible resources black hole during development. Going straight from God of War 2 to 3, you can really tell where they had to scale down in a major way.

Canova

Banned
Ferrio said:
I hated the whip... soon as I got it "This is crap!". Went back to my cestus.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttt?

Nemesis is the best weapon in the game. L1 + square will get you up in the air and stay up there for 10 seconds if there are enough enemies around

spidye

TTG said:
There are some very slight frame rate issues, mostly when the camera pans around. The visuals are a double edged sword. On one hand, God of War 3 is probably the best looking game out right now on consoles, it's jaw dropping. On the other hand, you can just tell that it was an incredible resources black hole during development. Going straight from God of War 2 to 3, you can really tell where they had to scale down in a major way.
ok thanks.
I noticed the drops when the camera moves around too but that's something I see in many games. so this bothered me not that much.
I read in this thread that the framerate is super smooth for many people and I got little bit worried but thanks to you I feel relieved.

Amir0x

Banned
It's so wonderful God of War III did so well.

I want to keep having such visceral, eye-pleasing experiences, with extreme gore and insane epicness.

It's all about everything I love in games - great graphics, good gameplay. No trade-offs for some gimmickry. Just pure brain bashing greatness.

God of War III... <3 <3

anddo0 said:
Zeus on titan?

I'm about ready to give up. I get get him him to the second phase in gaia's heart, but things fall apart once he starts cloning, I'm using the nemesis whip, but it does little once there are 5 clones on the screen.

If you have any magic left, use that spartan shield one that you get with the Blades of Exile. That will knocked out most if not all of the clones providing you get them close enough to you and you'll get magic in return. Then you spam L1+O with the nemesis whip until he tries to go after Gaia's heart.

If you combo the heart enough while he's charging, the health will go to you and he'll cancel his charge and will throw bolts at you instead. Just keep L1+O with the nemesis whip. It's a pussy way of winning but in Titan, after about 40 tries of trying to win 'normally', I was like FUCK IT.

anddo0

effingvic said:
If you have any magic left, use that spartan shield one that you get with the Blades of Exile. That will knocked out most if not all of the clones providing you get them close enough to you and you'll get magic in return. Then you spam L1+O with the nemesis whip until he tries to go after Gaia's heart.

If you combo the heart enough while he's charging, the health will go to you and he'll cancel his charge and will throw bolts at you instead. Just keep L1+O with the nemesis whip. It's a pussy way of winning but in Titan, after about 40 tries of trying to win 'normally', I was like FUCK IT.

Thanks

I'll give it a try tomorrow.. And apologies for not using spoilers earlier :{

Yoboman

Yeah the whip is awesome. It does a lack some oomph but you feel all sorts of bad ass with some of the air combos it can pull off

Yoboman

anddo0 said:
Thanks

I'll give it a try tomorrow.. And apologies for not using spoilers earlier :{
Yeah pretty much when it comes to boss fights in this game, don't be afraid to use up all your magic and Blade of Olympus meter. Use it intelligently though of course, if you can get through the first section relatively unharmed then do it

-viper-

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
The Blades of Hades are so weak. They do practically no damage. The only good thing about them is that they look cool. On my Titan run I didn't use them one bit.

In terms of damage the best is Cestus followed by the blades of exile. I agree the blades of Hades is weak as hell and slow to boot. I only use it a couple of times for crowd control.

jmd494

Where is the best place to grind red orbs in the game on Chaos mode? I'm not going to do it at the
Scorpion fight
because I'm worried about dying and losing them all.

jett

D-Member
-viper- said:
The Blades of Hades are so weak. They do practically no damage. The only good thing about them is that they look cool. On my Titan run I didn't use them one bit.

Wat? They're really powerful, especially the triangle combo.

strideramc

hamchan said:
Just finished the game, an amazing experience. I'm a bit iffy on the ending but other than that I think I like this more than GOW2.

I just finished the game last night at 4:30 am and had the same reaction to the ending. Not necessarily bad, just not as epic as I was expecting. Overall great game though.

KnightM7

Banned
-viper- said:
They do pretty good against satyrs
Gorgon ability

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Ballistictiger said:
In terms of damage the best is Cestus followed by the blades of exile. I agree the blades of Hades is weak as hell and slow to boot. I only use it a couple of times for crowd control.

In terms of damage the Cestus are more effective than the blades of Hades, yeah, but they're slow and clunky for ranged attacks, and I prefer to avoid melee combat if possible.

For those who are having trouble with the final fight, it is definitely glitched.

Both on my normal and Titan playthroughs, that fight got stuck in a never ending loop. Both times I managed to successfully survive (all be it using cheesiness on Titan) for a half hour or more.

The next time I would play through it, the ending quick time event would come up in a fraction of the time. I wasn't switching up my strategy or anything.

Top Bottom