• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

TTG

dalin80 said:
Just finished a normal run.

35 deaths.

0 from combat
0 from puzzles
35 from jumping segments.

Overall i enjoyed it a lot.

About the same here. I died less than 5 times during combat and that was when I was just spamming bosses with combos rather than watching their movements. Not that it's any achievement, I expected as much coming off GOW2 on hard. I only used the subweapons and they were great.

I gotta figure out if I want to go straight into the highest difficulty or only go one step up next time around.

JB1981

Game is a good challenge on Titan. Took me quite a few tries to beat
Hades
but he was a good challenge and never really cheap. I am using the
claws of hades
a lot this time around. They are awesome. I still don't feel the trilogy received the epic send-off it deserved. Shame Corey left the team. :(

Dude Abides

Banned
So on the last stage of the
Zeus fight, how exactly are you supposed to stop him from healing himself with Gaia's heart? When he starts having sex with the heart Kratos appears to be frozen and I can't move, and he doesn't react to any of the hits I put on him as he's charging up to run at the heart.

ScrubJay

Dude Abides said:
Zeus fight, how exactly are you supposed to stop him from healing himself with Gaia's heart? When he starts having sex with the heart Kratos appears to be frozen and I can't move, and he doesn't react to any of the hits I put on him as he's charging up to run at the heart.

You have to beat him to the punch. Beat on Gaia's heart, health bonuses for you!

Dude Abides said:

Get to the heart first and take the orbs for yourself. I pounded it in with the Cestus.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Dude Abides said:
Ignore him.
As soon as Gaia starts moaning and the heart starts glowing stop attacking him and head for the heart. Attack Gaia and get all the orbs before Zeus finishes his charge to prevent him from healing. You can't move the first time he heals this way because the game wants you to focus on what he's doing, but you can move after that first attack.

Dude Abides said:

Stay close to the heart and the L1 Square attack to keep Zeus away while you collect health.

Zombie James said:
Sony Santa Monica deserves an award for getting boob physics right.

Oh boy.. this is going to get some funny replies.

GoW3 related - almost completed chaos mode, playing it on and off.. up to 250 deaths and almost out of
the labyrinth
lol

I was kinda sad that they didn't use
Hades' demon
face from GoW1 under his helmet,it looked pretty badass. Although this model was great as well and correlated more with him being
Zeus' brother
(meaning he looked more human in his appearance)

dalin80

Banned
Zombie James said:
Sony Santa Monica deserves an award for getting boob physics right.

Its also disturbing/awesome to think that some guy spent a week slaving over the textures and bump mapping of nipples.

dalin80 said:
Its also disturbing/awesome to think that some guy spent a week slaving over the textures and bump mapping of nipples.

Think of all the erections he got (and provided the gamers). It's a very well deserving job and needs to be in every resume.

John Doe
Experience:

Sony Santa Monica Studios
Jaunary 2009 - Present
Texture mapping - Nipples; Boob physics

Tecmo
April 2007 - Janury 2009
Bump mapping - Ass; Boob physics

JB1981

Don't know if this has been implemented in other titles but I have an idea for potential God of War III DLC and wanted to get GAF's opinion.

I recently watched the God of War 2 collection bonus material and there is a section about The Lost Levels. I also read comments from Stig Asmussen recently about cuts made to God of War 3. I think it would be really cool if SSM released DLC that was re-integrated back into the original campaign via a seamless branching DLC, similar to what one would find in a DVD director's cut. Of course, if you wanted you could also play the DLC by itself without having to play thru the campaign again.

What do you guys think of this idea and would it even be feasible?
- I really feel this game could use at least 2 more hours of gameplay with at least two more locales. This is the shortest God of War by far imo.

Finally finished the game this morning (took about a week and a half off from playing because of work) and overall loved it. The last fight and the sequence near the end where you are falling down the chain and have to avoid the flaming debris were kind of frustrating, and the last boss fights didn't match the epicness of the rest of the game, but overall it was a great ride.

Massa

JB1981 said:
Don't know if this has been implemented in other titles but I have an idea for potential God of War III DLC and wanted to get GAF's opinion.

I recently watched the God of War 2 collection bonus material and there is a section about The Lost Levels. I also read comments from Stig Asmussen recently about cuts made to God of War 3. I think it would be really cool if SSM released DLC that was re-integrated back into the original campaign via a seamless branching DLC, similar to what one would find in a DVD director's cut. Of course, if you wanted you could also play the DLC by itself without having to play thru the campaign again.

What do you guys think of this idea and would it even be feasible?
- I really feel this game could use at least 2 more hours of gameplay with at least two more locales. This is the shortest God of War by far imo.

AC2 DLC works like that.

Q8D3vil

just started this game
the amount of juggies is hurting my eyes ( specially in the fight with the horse spider monster ) :lol
didn't they used MLAA with it ?!

i guess i spent too much time in pc gaming.
anyway , it's fucking amazing so far :D

spats

Q8D3vil said:
just started this game
the amount of juggies is hurting my eyes ( specially in the fight with the horse spider monster ) :lol

GOW3 has pretty much the best AA on any console game so if you thought it was bad you'd better stay away from gta4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Q8D3vil said:
just started this game

If you think that's the case you should probably turn down the sharpness on your TV and turn off edge enhancement. There are a few jaggies here and there but not much at all early on. Best IQ of any console game.

Q8D3vil

GOW3 has pretty much the best AA on any console game so if you thought it was bad you'd better stay away from gta4.
man i think gaming at 1080p and 4MSAA missed me up pretty badly
i played gta4 on console before starting pc gaming and remember the the juggies everywhere. i tried the pc version and it's way better thanks to 1080p.:D

If you think that's the case you should probably turn down the sharpness on your TV and turn off edge enhancement. There are a few jaggies here and there but not much at all early on. Best IQ of any console game.
the problem is am using sony lcd bravia engine 3 40 inch with game mode and i don't remember having problem with games like uncharted 2 .
i'll try to configure the tv.

since I finally beat it i've been watching a ton of the behind the scenes stuff today and didn't expect Kevin Sorbo to be the one to voice Hercules :lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Q8D3vil said:
the problem is am using sony lcd bravia engine 3 40 inch with game mode and i don't remember having problem with games like uncharted 2 .
i'll try to configure the tv.
Game Modes often make things a lot worse in regards to picture quality. I know game mode looks like ass on my Samsung and has really high sharpness and edge enhancement on.

shagg_187 said:
John Doe
Experience:

Sony Santa Monica Studios
Jaunary 2009 - Present
Texture mapping - Nipples; Boob physics

Tecmo
April 2007 - Janury 2009
Bump mapping - Ass; Boob physics
Damn, that would be one hell of a 180 in learning how breasts actually move.

Game's incredible. My favorite GoW so far, but maybe because it's the only one i have played on hard.

Minor qualm (and I am sure i missed the train by several thousand posts): god it's violent and sadistic. I have never felt uneasy when playing a game, ever. I even played tons of carmageddon and blood as a kid. Either I am getting old and boring, or the HD is making things more visual, but I can't help but be a bit disturbed by the deaths of
Poseidon, Hermes and hercules, so far. And killing that poseidon princess was really ... :(

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
neoism said:
WTF is wrong with me, I've had this for two weeks unopened... :lol :lol :lol

me too! :lol :lol :lol

:( why are we doing this ?

dalin80

Banned
So far i only have 2 complaints-

R1 is not a good quick action button, it has too much of a dead zone and makes the jumping / latching segments more irritiating then it should.

The QTE's that require the half circle movement were by a wide margin the most tricky part of the game for me, i was getting slaughtered in the ending of one boss fight becuase the QTE would fail instantly on the analogue part. Turns out my control has a tiny bit of bias on the left stick.

Its been a while since i had to buy a new controller to finish a game.

And 1 quibble-

pandora looked ripped from a episode of buffy, [american teen accent]oh my god, zeus just totally did not say that! iam like oh my god! hope and stuff... what ev...[/american teen accent], and kratos suddenly deciding to like a another person for no reason at all from nowhere, the kratos i know would have bitch slapped that brat as soon as she started whining about hope and tried shoving her head first into the box

dalin80 said:
pandora looked ripped from a episode of buffy, [american teen accent]oh my god, zeus just totally did not say that! iam like oh my god! hope and stuff... what ev...[/american teen accent], and kratos suddenly deciding to like a another person for no reason at all from nowhere, the kratos i know would have bitch slapped that brat as soon as she started whining about hope and tried shoving her head first into the box
Well,
Hephaestus does remind Kratos that he was also a father once...I dunno if that's supposed to be a catalyst to transform him though, because he tells Pandora that she won't be thanking him after he's done with her. Frankly, its a bit all over the place really. He shows genuine concern in Poseidon's chambers about the safety and well being of Pandora (and not in a "i need her to do my job" sort of way). Yet when he frees her, he hints at using her for the Flame.

I tried using my preorder code from Gamestop today to get the bonus skin, however it did not work. It said that the number was either wrong or expired. It's not wrong and the date on the card said that it expires in June, I believe.
Did anyone else have an issue with their Gamestop preorder code?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
A few hours in with
Helios
as my last major kill, and so far, I'm not really enjoying this as much as the first two God of Wars. I'm not sure why. Everything that I expect is there, but nothing's really surprising me the way things in the first two games did. It's still very competent, it just lacks a certain creativity.

Anyways, hopefully things will change as I progress.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
After thinking about it a bit now, the game has been kind of pre-one-upped by UC2 in technology (even if not consistently), atmosphere, storytelling, sense of wonder, camera, voice acting, believability of characters, technology used for animation etc. While I thoroughly enjoyed GoW3 all the way through, there were numerous times where I had to notice that it fell short of similar things I experienced in UC2... there's a certain kind of attachment that UC games achieve that I didn't really get from anything but stuff like Ico, SotC or MGS games at their best moments. GoW3 definitely impresses with its detailed sense of scale, awe inspiring moments, set pieces that many times look more like a scene done with practical effects rather than 3D graphics, but feels a lot more like a typical action movie fare.

It's even little things like, if you run into a wall in GoW3, Kratos just keep running. In Ico and Uncharted, character stops, and you sense there that there's a real attachment to the world around them. Or the way Kratos swims far too fast for his hand movements. It's just some small things, but there's plenty of stuff like that which creates attachment and believability that's only half-way there in GoW3. But when it rocks it rocks hard, and I even enjoyed two of the puzzles quite a bit - Hera's gardens and Daedalus' shop. I also really liked the
"Fear"
ending section, and every single boss finisher segment was just ridiculous and imaginative in its own way.

Top Bottom