• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Chairman Yang said:
A few hours in with
Helios
as my last major kill, and so far, I'm not really enjoying this as much as the first two God of Wars. I'm not sure why. Everything that I expect is there, but nothing's really surprising me the way things in the first two games did. It's still very competent, it just lacks a certain creativity.

Anyways, hopefully things will change as I progress.

You ain't seen SHIT yet. "Epic" doesn't even begin to describe some of the stuff you're gonna do later in the game.

AAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that last room in the
labyrinth
, when does it fucking end! I have just wasted an hour on it (hard). Help please!
Don't just tell me to waste the enemies with the cestus and be careful and take my time, that's what i am already doing.

I hate those sirens bitches more than anything. I don't think I have been happier in the videogame than when i manage to corner one of them with the cestus. Fuck this game is pouring sadism right into my soul.

And that was just after the bullshit
scorpio
fight. Those little fuckers can kill you in a second by overrunning you when you're staggered. so annoying.

This game is not good for my blood pressure, nor for my relations with my neighbors.

HankToms

The scorpion fight is not too bad once you realize you can Grab "O" the small scorpions for health and the big one will keep spitting more out so you can get back to full health pretty easy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, the giant scorpion fight wasn't bad at all compared to the last room. Best I've managed - a few times now - is to get within an enemy or two of completing the area. So annoying. :lol

koene

harriet the spy said:
labyrinth
, when does it fucking end! I have just wasted an hour on it (hard). Help please!
Don't just tell me to waste the enemies with the cestus and be careful and take my time, that's what i am already doing.

I hate those sirens bitches more than anything. I don't think I have been happier in the videogame than when i manage to corner one of them with the cestus. Fuck this game is pouring sadism right into my soul.

scorpio
fight. Those little fuckers can kill you in a second by overrunning you when you're staggered. so annoying.

This game is not good for my blood pressure, nor for my relations with my neighbors.

The Sirens are pretty easy if you use Hermes boots to kick them in the air. Then jump and keep pressing circle. I used it in Chaos mode, with great succes :)

I finished Chaos mode recently and then started a new game on easy. Man, what a difference. I could play it with my eyes closed :)

zoukka

Played a bit from Hades to giant crates of doom. The biggest change I noticed to the previous games was that the enemies have like 3x times the health. I don't know if this is good...

And I wholly understand the "samey" complaints. This feels exactly the same as the previous games. But I don't complain about it. Love the franchise.

blindrocket said:
I tried using my preorder code from Gamestop today to get the bonus skin, however it did not work. It said that the number was either wrong or expired. It's not wrong and the date on the card said that it expires in June, I believe.
Did anyone else have an issue with their Gamestop preorder code?
Oops, I didn't read the slip properly the first time. I have to register this code on godofwar.com

LosDaddie

Banned
Got my Platinum on this game last weekend. I'm done with the game and will be trading it in once my bro finishes it. WEll, I might keep the game if some DLC is announced soon.

Other than the Cronos and Zeus fights, I think the last 1/3 of the game is kind of a drag...at least as far as level design goes. More like God of Caves 3. I guess I just really didn't like The Caverns or Labryinth level design.

IMO, the Poseidon fight was the best boss fight, at least visually.

Oni Jazar

harriet the spy said:
labyrinth

scorpio

I'm in the same place. There's a LOT of waves that you have to tackle.

This has probably been asked before but am I missing anything major if I skip GoW2 and go straight to this? Will it catch me up on the story? I played the first one but don't really feel like playing 2 and 3 back to back. Plus GoW3 is on the way right now from gamefly...

LosDaddie

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
harriet the spy said:
AAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that last room in the labyrinth , when does it fucking end! I have just wasted an hour on it (hard). Help please!

And that was just after the bullshit scorpio fight. Those little fuckers can kill you in a second by overrunning you when you're staggered. so annoying.

I'm in the same place. There's a LOT of waves that you have to tackle.

The trick is to lure the enemies to the room sections where the spikes are coming up and then dash out of the way when the spikes come up. Don't be afraid to use magic either.

Oni Jazar

LosDaddie said:
The trick is to lure the enemies to the room sections where the spikes are coming up and then dash out of the way when the spikes come up. Don't be afraid to use magic either.

Sorry I'm thinking of the section after that with no spikes. Just shield guys, sirens, armored minotaurs and those blade dudes who burrow beneath the ground.

obaidr

Banned
Strategy tipps:

There is actually a very easy way to fight the cerbus, zeus and the the rooms with many enemies. There is one attack which could be called game breaker because it is almost and blockable and that is the grab attack [L1+O] for the blades and that green weapon you get last. All you need to do is grab the enemies all the time until the circle arrives. I killed Zeus on Titan that way and it was damn easy.

Nizz

Oni Jazar said:
Sorry I'm thinking of the section after that with no spikes. Just shield guys, sirens, armored minotaurs and those blade dudes who burrow beneath the ground.
You can pull those blade dudes out of the ground and then combo em to death. I didn't know that the first time I played through that section. It was pretty rough for me on normal difficulty, I can just imagine how tough that'll be on titan.

Speaking of which, that's one of two trophies left for me to get, beating the game on titan and completing the challenges. I think I'll work on the challenges first, then try to get through the game on titan.

Trickster

unagisensei said:
This has probably been asked before but am I missing anything major if I skip GoW2 and go straight to this? Will it catch me up on the story? I played the first one but don't really feel like playing 2 and 3 back to back. Plus GoW3 is on the way right now from gamefly...

I'd say that God of War 1 is it's own game very much so, whereas God of War 2 and God of War 3 is pretty much 1 game split into two parts, so I'd reccomend you play God of War 2 if you want to know whats going on.

HYDE

Banned
unagisensei said:

GOW2 is probably the second best action game next to Uncharted 2 or Resident Evil 4.
Not to mention you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice by skipping it before playing GOW3.

Oni Jazar said:

Yea, that's where I am. Did you get past it? I was at my third minotaur wave and died. And I was playing at my best, so I am not sure what I can do. I hate that you have to charge the stupid helios power to see them bitches.

obaidr

Banned
unagisensei said:

so you wanna skip the sex and go to the part where you just lay next to her? :lol

Bit-Bit

I got the game on Sunday and beated it yesterday. I love the game. Some of the best sets I've ever seen in a game. Of course the gameplay is solid as expected. Though I do have to say, I felt the game hit a high point about halfway during the
Chronos
fight and never reached it again. I was especially disappointed with the last fight with
Zeus
. Fighting all of the other main gods felt grand and epic. But the last fight just felt rushed and kinda fell flat. Though I love some of the more artsy stuff.

I sailed through
Labyrinth, Skorpion and Hades. But hit a dead end at Cerberus+ goat friends(Chaos mode). Haven't touched the game in a week.

spidye

one of the best games I've ever played. kudos to santa monica for not only delivering but surpassing my wildest dreams about this game. It's the best action game this gen imo.

rc213 said:
Fedex just dropped it off at my house, What difficulty setting should I start with?
Normal is alright, but even as someone who hasn't played tons of God of War I found it a bit easy at times, especially as your weapons get souped up. There are a few rough patches, but in general I was surprised how much I was able to coast though. If you have experience with the series I'd be inclined to recommend Titan, although you should be warned that the first segment might feel like hitting a brick wall until you get your bearings.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My God how did I ever miss this game. Holy shit. The visuals have really wowed me to a whole new level and the game is just FUN. Wow. Wow. WOW.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Relix said:
My God how did I ever miss this game. Holy shit. The visuals have really wowed me to a whole new level and the game is just FUN. Wow. Wow. WOW.
How far? There is plenty more jaw dropping sets, believe me.

BeeDog

Pistolero said:
Best image quality, motion blur and camera dynamics in a console game, imo. The scale is also a sight to behold...

And it still amazes me that this game manages to run with a higher-than-average framerate. While people might find Uncharted 2's art direction and style to be more cohesive and "eye-popping" (blame GoW3's cavern areas for that), the underlying tech of this game is probably much more solid. :D

jett

D-Member
Pistolero said:
Best image quality, motion blur and camera dynamics in a console game, imo. The scale is also a sight to behold...

The camera "choreography" is really spectacular, I say it's more exciting than any comparable movie. :lol

there's no comparable movie

spidye said:
one of the best games I've ever played. kudos to santa monica for not only delivering but surpassing my wildest dreams about this game. It's the best action game this gen imo.
but I have a question(beware massive spoilers):
what did zeus mean when he said to gaia you should have chosen the other one? did he mean kratos' brother? actually what happened to his brother ?
so kratos isn't dead but has someone an idea what happens to the world or athena?

I just finished my second playthrough and was wondering the same thing but it might be better to ask in the plot discussion thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390505

Fuck the
labyrinth!!!!

I just got into it and got to the first room with spikes and the ass load waves of enemies(Titan mode). I know the best thing for me is to lure them bastards into the spikes, the dodge out of there.

Sorry, just venting.

SamBa

Banned
Finally had the time to earn my platinum trophy and unlocked the battle arena. :D

Man, that battle arena is insane! I was battling two chimera, two centaur generals, two cyclopes, three elite minotaurs as well as two hades cerberus breeders spewing hellhounds! :lol

I must say this engine is very powerful already, I'm not easily blown away, but that's just amazing, having so many very high quality creatures on screen at once and being able to perform magic like summoning creatures like the cyclops, all this combat at full speed! :D

Ok, I took a break on this game to catch up on my back log. I am having freezing troubles, I have tried loading different saves etc. But I always freeze at one of three points. I've googled, and noticed it's fairly common but I haven't been able to remedy it. Ive tried the basics, delete game data, tried not updating and playing offline etc. Any ideas? Would hate to start over. About 4 hours in.

-viper-

Banned
BeeDog said:
And it still amazes me that this game manages to run with a higher-than-average framerate. While people might find Uncharted 2's art direction and style to be more cohesive and "eye-popping" (blame GoW3's cavern areas for that), the underlying tech of this game is probably much more solid. :D
Completely agree. I want motion blur in all my games now to be honest. It made GOW3 feel 60FPS.

Salz01

BeeDog said:

I cant stand the cavern areas. It was so plain and boring looking. I wish they just took those out. Plus the 'Garden' areas where a bit underwhelming. Saw some of the artwork/ concept art for that, and scratched my head why it wasnt in the actual game.

Oni Jazar

harriet the spy said:
Yea, that's where I am. Did you get past it? I was at my third minotaur wave and died. And I was playing at my best, so I am not sure what I can do. I hate that you have to charge the stupid helios power to see them bitches.

Yeah I got past it. Now I've been stuck at the part just after the
Labryinth, after falling back to the Judges and fighting the Cerberus and two Satyrs. I can chop off the first two heads but the last one is brutal with all the little doggies and whirling dervishes.
Playing on hard mode.

Eccocid

I am so far away from my ps3! :( It has been like 6 months since i have started to travel so there is no chance for me to play GoW3 soon.
So i decided to watch the cutscenes today on youtube.
SHIT! Its fucking EPIC! I love the violence and brutality of Kratos even tho its quite extreme it suits the story very well!

Some of the characters looked weird tho like Hera, she looked very ugly tho its youtube its probably much better and detailed on real thing.

Combine

Banned
Hello, I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread for this but I wasn't sure where else to try.

My brother was playing GOWIII tonight but has encountered a big problem. During a cutscene, the image froze, but the sounds could still be heard for a little bit, then the game appeared to freeze entirely. He tried to quit the game, but the system did not seem to reset itself correctly. He manually turned the system off and on again (the disc was still inside) and when the PS main menu appeared, the game was not visible in the HUD. He had to remove the game, turn the system off and on once again and then try to put the game back in for it to play. The disc started to be read but then an error message appeared on screen and he was kicked out to the main menu. He then tried to test the God of War 1&2 collection, it loaded through the Santa Monica logo and such, but the main menu never appeared and he was again kicked back out to the PS hub. The hub icons also had some problems loading up too. He got the newest patch last night (3.30) too.

I'm guessing this is probably a hardware issue and not a software one. That kind of sucks because he was pretty close to the end of the game I think. GOWIII had crashed several times before during his playthrough as well, it seems to be a very buggy game.

Anyone else experience any problems similar to this at all?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
-viper- said:
Completely agree. I want motion blur in all my games now to be honest. It made GOW3 feel 60FPS.
The game is built to go up to 60FPS though. It fluctuates between 40/50/60, but the motion blur they have is really amazing and the most convincing and artifact free I've seen in a game yet.

jett said:
The camera "choreography" is really spectacular, I say it's more exciting than any comparable movie. :lol
I still think UC2 did this better in general - it was a bit more raw in GoW3 in comparison, but they did pretty amazing job with it in the opening part of the game.

whoever came up witht that
flying[/spoil] level in the labyrinth should get shot in the kneecaps (not really ;P). Goddamn what a useless trial and error level.

must say that from
heras garden
the game is a bit less fun than it was.
Just throwing more of the same enemies and a couple that just take more hits than a hooker with an itch.

hopefully it will pick up soon. i'm now still in the Labyrinth and stopped the game yesterday because of it felt like a chore
"Cerberus goat friend"

will finish this game though.

Oni Jazar said:
Yeah I got past it. Now I've been stuck at the part just after the
Labryinth, after falling back to the Judges and fighting the Cerberus and two Satyrs. I can chop off the first two heads but the last one is brutal with all the little doggies and whirling dervishes.
Playing on hard mode.

I actually finished it in the meantime - playing on Titan as well. The Scorpio remains the hardest part for me, I oddly had nearly no trouble with the cerberus. Used gorgon (hades claw) on the fucking bitches satyrs, and I just pummeled the dog into oblivion (with fully upgraded cestus). It was not _easy_, but I always got done with two heads in a few trials, and eventually got the third one as well.

Zeus was a bit of an asshole, especially in the street fighter mode

Top Bottom