• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Eccocid said:
Some of the characters looked weird tho like Hera, she looked very ugly tho its youtube its probably much better and detailed on real thing.
I don't think she is supposed to be pretty. After all, Zeus kept cheating on her with young humans/godesses, probably means she didn't look like aphrodite. Probably the myths didn't make her a bitter, not so good-looking alcoholic, but I thought it was a great character in GoW3.

Massa

harriet the spy said:
I don't think she is supposed to be pretty. After all, Zeus kept cheating on her with young humans/godesses, probably means she didn't look like aphrodite. Probably the myths didn't make her a bitter, not so good-looking alcoholic, but I thought it was a great character in GoW3.

I think he meant technically, the difference between her and Kratos is jarring.

jett

D-Member
Broken Arrow said:
Good game, but the double jump is a piece of shit!

:lol why do so many people have a problem with that? i don't get it. I swear not once was the double jump an issue in any of my playthroughs. :p

rc213 said:
Do the pre-order skins add anything other than looks? If it does maybe I should have pre-ordered. =x

God of War III Bonus Costumes
Apollo - 50% damage dealt, 50% damage taken.
Phantom of Chaos (Costume) - 500% increase in orb value.
Forgotten Warrior - 25% damage taken.
Dominus (Costume) - Deals 200% damage, takes 50% damage and 200% increase in orb value.
Morpheus Armor - 200% increase in orb value.
Fear Kratos - 400% damage dealt and taken.

rvy

Banned
jett said:
:lol why do so many people have a problem with that? i don't get it. I swear not once was the double jump an issue in any of my playthroughs. :p
Maybe because it looks like crap. Or that's my issue with it anyway.

Raist

Banned
jett said:

I think that's because unlike most games where you have a double jump, the timing is extremely tight. Unlike you press X twice very fast, it doesn't work. Once you get that, it's absolutely not an issue anymore.

Raist said:
I think that's because unlike most games where you have a double jump, the timing is extremely tight.

This.

I just died three times in Aphrodite's Chamber for gods sake!

I have only just died once in battle in the entire game so far, but have died 34 fucking times in stupid double jumping.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Broken Arrow said:
This.

I just died three times in Aphrodite's Chamber for gods sake!

I have only just died once in battle in the entire game so far, but have died 34 fucking times in stupid double jumping.
The platforming portion of this game is terrible. I died at least 20-50 times throughout the game because of poor angles, poor jumping mechanics, or it not being obvious how you jump there.

That being said I have just beat the game and this easily goes down in my book of the most engrossing storyline throughout 3 games that I've ever played.

ME1 and ME2 are two of my favorite games. I love the story the options etc in that trilogy but its got nothing on how intense GoW grabs you.

If you didn't play the first two, or only played one of them I HIGHLY recommend going on youtube and just watching all the cutscenes from game 1 and 2 before moving into 3. It will take you about 2 hours but it's so well worth it.

Another side note is that I can't convince myself to play any of these games on a difficulty above easy. Why? Because if I'm the god of fucking war I refuse to have to swing my swords at a scorpion 12 times to kill it. I've killed gods!@#! Also having scorpions or other peon trash mobs taking large amounts of health from you seems bogus as well. I've killed gods!

Overall 9.8/10 in my eyes.

timkunedo

yeah the double jumping on Aphrodite's Chamber was just an example of lazy game design. The rest of the game is/was amazing. my one and only complaint.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
one of the things that really bothered me about the game is that SSM didn't have enough faith in their players to not have the "Press L1+etc" pop up every time you needed to shoot and grapple to a bird.

If people weren't getting it during play-tests, it means it was an overly obtuse, dumb mechanic. It just seems like such a rookie mistake.

Rez said:
one of the things that really bothered me about the game is that SSM didn't have enough faith in their players to not have the "Press L1+etc" pop up every time you needed to shoot and grapple to a bird.

If people weren't getting it during play-tests, it means it was an overly obtuse, dumb mechanic. It just seems like such a rookie mistake.
Can't you turn the control prompts off in the options?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yes, but after the intro it isn't like they say "press square to attack!"or "press x to jump over that gap" every time there's an enemy or gap in the path.

it's just the principle of the matter, really. if you need to flash the prompt on screen every time then something is wrong with either the controls or the way you're teaching players how to use them.

Rez said:
yes, but after the intro it isn't like they say "press square to attack!"or "press x to jump over that gap" every time there's an enemy or gap in the path.

The instances where you have to do this are pretty spread out. A reminder every now and then doesn't ruin the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh, sure, I enjoyed the game. :)

I'm very much in the well-passed-launch nit-picking phase. I just have an ideological problem with the way that particular mechanic was realised.

Pai Pai Master said:
The instances where you have to do this are pretty spread out. A reminder every now and then doesn't ruin the game.

I don't think he's saying that the prompts themselves are a problem, just that the fact that you see them everytime would make one assume that SSSM knew it was a problem area. I think even in the behind the scenes documentary while they are getting the demo ready for e3 they mention that their testers were having problems with the harpies and dying over and over.

No big deal IMO. I was one of the ones earlier bitching about the double jump but after a few hours it was no problem. Same w/ the harpies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Rez said:

Grasping at straws there friend.

And hearing the complaints on platforming, is it that hard to learn when to jump? Like the timing of it all is super hard to pick up once you experiment with it. This is basic controls 101 here. Do you expect to get the timing down on any move without trying the limits of the timing? It's a non issue.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just beat the game. Where's the thread with all the spoilers and stuff?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
funnily enough, I had no problem with the double jump =X

I think after Darksiders, I just became used to being a tad more cautious with all my platforming. I got so frustrated with falling off ledges in DS.

Salaadin

When in this game does it play the "Brothers of Blood" song from the soundtrack? I wouldve sworn that it was during the
Hercules
fight but thats not it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
ZEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUS!

Seriously, any tips?
I'm stuck at the Heart of Gaia part - which I think is the last - and I have no clue. I get to the part when he charges at the Heart and grabs some health orbs, but then his clones just kick my ass and I'm done.

I'm playing on Titan (Hard) mode, by the way.

Halp :(

Brazil said:
ZEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUS!

Seriously, any tips?
I'm stuck at the Heart of Gaia part - which I think is the last - and I have no clue. I get to the part when he charges at the Heart and grabs some health orbs, but then his clones just kick my ass and I'm done.

Hit the heart before he does. When it starts glowing attack it and you will get the orbs before he does. Also the Nemesis whip's magic does wonders against clones or if you have leveled up the Hades claws you can get help from some of the sould.

ZeroRay

Brazil said:
ZEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUS!

Seriously, any tips?

Do this. :p

He usually summons one clone the first time so quickly take that one out while avoiding/blocking attacks. Once he uses multiple clones, keep getting attacks in while maintaining some distance. Save up all your magic for clones and use either the Blades or the Whip magic for crowd control. Remember to hit Gaia's heart when it starts glowing to regain some health.

Also, that video shows you some effective combos against Zeus so check it out.

after a bunch of failed attempts, I just hung out by the heart and spammed the spin attack with the blades of exile. Did a good job of attacking the glowing heart before Zeus could and also was effective at taking out his clones.

Brazil

ZeroRay said:

He usually summons one clone the first time so quickly take that one out while avoiding/blocking attacks. Once he uses multiple clones, keep getting attacks in while maintaining some distance. Save up all your magic for clones and use either the Blades or the Whip magic for crowd control. Remember to hit Gaia's heart when it starts glowing to regain some health.

I'll try to mimic that video. :lol

Thanks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
ZeroRay said:

That fight took shockingly little time for being on Chaos mode, and why
did Zeus never summon a bunch of clones?

Brazil

hey_it's_that_dog said:
That fight took shockingly little time for being on Chaos mode, and why
did Zeus never summon a bunch of clones?
Hmm... The Loading screen doesn't say
"Heart of Gaia"...

It's suspicious. But I want to believe it's that easy :p

The double jump thing happened to me a few times, it seemed like if you went slightly out of bonds in spots that it just wouldn't let you double jump or some kind of invisible wall that got in your way.

The one thing that kinda bugged me was the game had lots of hand holding in making it obvious of what you needed to to and where to go at time. It often was really stupid obvious things, yet in some parts where it was not obvious the game gives you no clue.

ZeroRay

Brazil said:
Hmm... The Loading screen doesn't say
"Heart of Gaia"...

It's suspicious. But I want to believe it's that easy :p

During and after the Zeus fights, every loading screen says "The Labyrinth".
Just look up your most recent autosave.

My main issue with this game was not being able to fight Helios. And as people have said, I killed GODS and the frikken hardest boss in the game is a damn scorpion? WTF?

I beat Zeus on Titan like it was nothing. I blew him to bits with Blade combos inside gaia and wondered if the game switched to easy mode or something because he died after cloning only once.

This is how I beat Zeus

Attack the heart before he does. When you have him alone, spam the SHIT out of grapple, over and over and over. When he clones himself, well, thats really the only hard part. Try to isolate them and when you beat them, go back to grapple. It will eventually end and thats it.

So I just finished the game as well. The first level is obviously masterfully done as is the last
from the point of meeting up with Pandora, to the fight with Zeus, the switch to black & red, and the eventual defeat of Zeus.
I will say that the rest of the game was somewhat disappointing IMO. All in all, it was a very good game.

Strangely, the godofwar.com website took my preorder code successfully, but I have yet to receive my PS Store code via email.

I guess it's time to call up Sony?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
There was some problem pre-patch with the jumping, as the button input could be cut off while you're holding the button. I didn't play the game before the patch was out so I don't know for sure, but now with the patch, the double jump works just as it ever did in the previous games. No problems whatsoever.

Rez said:
oh, sure, I enjoyed the game. :)

I'm very much in the well-passed-launch nit-picking phase. I just have an ideological problem with the way that particular mechanic was realised.
You grab them the same way you grab any other enemy, with L1+O. It's not like they invented some illogical button combo just for that situation, so I don't see the problem.

witness

Got this game in the other day from gamefly and I'm about 4 1/2 hours into it. Loving it so far, boss bottles are freaking fantastic. I can't say there isn't one I haven't I've enjoyed so far, though I do feel pretty bad about killing all these gods and the consequences it has on the world. Game looks freaking beautiful, amazing.

Just played the first ten minutes (now putting it on the burner until I finish GoW2) and I have to say that this very likely the best looking game I have ever seen... People say U2 looks better than this?!?! U2 is beautiful but this has it beat in my opinion. This looks like CG half the time, the motion blur is incredible and it is cleaner than any console game I've played to date... bah, its insane.

Brazil

Ok, the last boss really wasn't that hard.

But, yeah! What an awesome game. It beats God of War II IMO - maybe not in impact, but surely in quality. The ending was great too.

Can't wait to see what's next in the series.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Why man why!!

the game starts off with such a fucking bang!. then you reach the labyrinth and falls on its ass!. the game starts to pick up again and reaches its climax with cronos then falls on its ass again...:S

still...I love you kratos <3

finished the game a couple of days ago. great game overall.
Main gripes:
- Hermes trial and error level..pa-lease.
- garden of hera: from here on the game got worse. the garden looked horrible to
- scoripon: WTF?? a giant grab in the midst of all this glory?? wasn't a hard fight (the cerberus was for me..), but didn't understand why it was in the game.
- Zeus: now WHY the hell wasn't this fight more like the poseidon one in terms of scale and originality?
- Kratos getting soft: NOOOOOOOOOOO. He should have killed Athena and he should have thrown Pandora in the flame himself.

But the first half of the game was glorious. well done. I was amazed.

Top Bottom