• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

jett

D-Member
I don't know what is this platinum->secretwebsite business, but when I got my plat trophy I didn't get shit. If it hadn't been for GAF I wouldn't have known about that spartansstandtall site. :p

BeeDog

jett said:
I don't know what is this platinum->secretwebsite business, but when I got my plat trophy I didn't get shit. If it hadn't been for GAF I wouldn't have known about that spartansstandtall site. :p

The URL is mentioned in the Platinum trophy description, not in-game.

jett said:

it is listed in the platinum trophy description.

beaten by the cat.

Stillmatic

Kos Luftar said:
http://www.godofwar.com/spartansstandtall/

updated.

kratos can be seen on the side, and a someones shadow in the middle. (his brother maybe???)
Wow, that took a while to update. Maybe it's nothing to do with getting the platinum, and is just updating the closer we get to a certain date? Like E3?

Anyway, i took a screen cap, it's the clearest shot i could get.

dmbay0.jpg

ZeroRay

Stillmatic said:
Wow, that took a while to update. Maybe it's nothing to do with getting the platinum, and is just updating the closer we get to a certain date? Like E3?

That's what I'm thinking. GOW3 prequel or epilogue announced at E3 for a fall release. :D

LosDaddie

Banned
Always-honest said:
finished the game a couple of days ago. great game overall.
Main gripes:
- Hermes trial and error level..pa-lease.
- garden of hera: from here on the game got worse. the garden looked horrible to
- scoripon: WTF?? a giant grab in the midst of all this glory?? wasn't a hard fight (the cerberus was for me..), but didn't understand why it was in the game.
- Zeus: now WHY the hell wasn't this fight more like the poseidon one in terms of scale and originality?
- Kratos getting soft: NOOOOOOOOOOO. He should have killed Athena and he should have thrown Pandora in the flame himself.

But the first half of the game was glorious. well done. I was amazed.

Pretty much how I felt. To be fair, most of the complaints I have with this game only became apparent during my 2nd, Titan playthrough. IMO, the last 1/3 of the game is a drag...I really didn't like the Caverns and Labryinth level design. Very bland. And the Pandora parts needed to be fleshed out more. Kratos went from being an asshole to
some softy who would do anything to save child
. And yeah, the Poseidon fight was the best, IMO.

Hopefully something is announced at E3 because otherwise I'm trading the game in once my bro finishes it. I got my Platinum and have no desire to play it again.

Stillmatic said:

dmbay0.jpg

I wonder who that is...

Stillmatic said:

dmbay0.jpg

Doesn't it look like Kratos is starring down a puddle of water, and seeing his own reflection?

Denzar

Vinterbird said:
Doesn't it look like Kratos is starring down a puddle of water, and seeing his own reflection?
Yeah, my first impression too.

If I were to guess, this is not a full on sequel but the epilogue DLC stuff that was hinted at.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Deepack said:
Yeah, my first impression too.

If I were to guess, this is not a full on sequel but the epilogue DLC stuff that was hinted at.

Maybe some sort of DLC with Kratos pondering his childhood or something.

And I would've liked the ending where Kratos becomes the Grim Reaper of gods, actually.

Jaffe's and Corey's endings seemed way better than the ending we got. With Corey's ending he closed Kratos's story in a fitting manor, which means that the series can move on to other mythologies with a new starring lead. Jaffe's ending would have been epic but would not really close Kratos's story.

I really wonder how much different this game would have been if Corey was the director of this. He really seemed to take the GOW formula to the next level in every way. I am also sure that the game would have been 3-4 hours longer than the game that we got. I also wonder if he would have put in some of the deleted levels from GOW 2 in.

Salz01

I hope the DLC content deletes the Labyrinth, Garden, and Cavern sections, and puts something cool in its place. These three areas somehow dampered my overall enjoyment of the game. I cant exactly put my finger on it. I guess it was all so.... not epic.

I liked Jaffe's ending. Really don't care or see the obsession of making everything a story that finishes in a trilogy. Who cares, just keep making more games!

Yoboman

I like Jaffe and Cory's ideas. But Jaffe would've had to push that through the start, and I think that is what he was leading towards at the end of GoW when it shows how Kratos affected wars throughout history.

Corey's idea really had no development towards that in number 2 so it seems a bit short sighted.

Stig's is good for wrapping up the trilogy, but I think the ending still needed some work. I didn't see any real connections to the first game in the ending. And Athena was totally under-developed

Now, get this. Jaffe's idea still works. Or, it could if they know what to do. The ending could segway right into the beginning of the Prose Edda, which basically the norse bible.
Kratos is recovered by someone and taken to the 3 kings (or just winds up there somehow), who tell him of norse mythology. A slightly different premise than the beginning of the Prose Edda, but winds up being the same plot device.
That probably wont happen though.

koene

Yoboman said:
I like Jaffe and Cory's ideas. But Jaffe would've had to push that through the start, and I think that is what he was leading towards at the end of GoW when it shows how Kratos affected wars throughout history.

Corey's idea really had no development towards that in number 2 so it seems a bit short sighted.

Stig's is good for wrapping up the trilogy, but I think the ending still needed some work. I didn't see any real connections to the first game in the ending. And Athena was totally under-developed

I hate the whole hope stuff. But it's awesome to realise that Kratos's first line in GoW was "The Gods of Olympus have abandoned me, now there is no hope".

I still wish Cory Barlog made GoW III. He did such a good job with GoW II.

LosDaddie

Banned
Host Samurai said:
Jaffe's and Corey's endings seemed way better than the ending we got. With Corey's ending he closed Kratos's story in a fitting manor, which means that the series can move on to other mythologies with a new starring lead. Jaffe's ending would have been epic but would not really close Kratos's story.

I really wonder how much different this game would have been if Corey was the director of this. He really seemed to take the GOW formula to the next level in every way. I am also sure that the game would have been 3-4 hours longer than the game that we got. I also wonder if he would have put in some of the deleted levels from GOW 2 in.

Agreed on all accounts, especially the part about what Barlog might've done with GoW3.

How do you guys know what Barlog and Jaffe's ending would have been?

Link?

I totally agree with other people, Corey should have directed GOW 3. Stig fucked up in so many ways.

To me there are only 2 GOW's:D

ghostofsparta said:
How do you guys know what Barlog and Jaffe's ending would have been?

Link?

I totally agree with other people, Corey should have directed GOW 3. Stig fucked up in so many ways.

To me there are only 2 GOW's:D

:lol I can see where you would say that. I liked GOW3 and totally do not mean to bash it at all because it was a good game, but it just had a totally different feel to it compared to 1&2. Everything from the style of cut scenes to the pacing, level design etc. You can really feel that there was somebody new that took over compared to going from Jaffe to Corey. Corey took everything that Jaffe did and turned it up x10, Stig just went his own way and left out many elements that made 1&2 so great.

Am I the only one that didnt feel like Kratos went on a long epic journey in this? I feel in 1&2 Kratos has traveled through the sea, dessert, Pandoras Temple, Hades etc. In this he just really went to Hades and up Mt Olympus. And the Hades level was done very bad IMO. Nothing like the Hades level in GOW1 where is was a fiery hell land.

Zen

Banned
I don' know, I found Hades to be a nice change compared to the last three times we've seen it.

Heck for me there's only really God of War I (and Chains of Olympus to an extent). The story in the first game was the best, and wrapped up wonderfully. Then 'oh shit we have to make a sequel' happened, and I feel like Cory really dropped the ball in story, character, and overall plot. Stig didn't really have a lot of choices with how we have going to progress from where GoWIII left off.

EDIT: The whole 'you're always on some level of where this giant chain is' was hard to visualize in your head as you were playing, they were never really able to convey the scale of the chain, nor your traversal of it, imo.

PartlyCloudlike said:
Damn that dude fought with style. Sweet video, makes me want to fire up GOW3 again just to play around with the combat system

It's important for me to remember that all of his weapons in these vids are upgraded. GoWIII is pretty horrible at how they chose to unlock the moves and balance the orb generation, to me everything feels very limiting until far into the game.

Denzar

Let's not all blame it on Stig. He had a huge task on his shoulders and did justice tot the GoW name.

Still, there are some parts in GOW III that stand out and I kind of mind getting through...

The Olympian Gardens (looked rather ugly compared to the rest of the game too), the labyrinth, the final fight inside Gaia (could have been so much better and more epic, especially when you see what the team did with Poseidon and Cronos)

Basically, the second half of the game was just not as good...

Host Samurai said:
Corey is a good designer, but a shitty story/script writer. GoW 2 story is the most barebones of any game ever. Jaffe on the other hand had a vision, and it really tells from watching the GoW 1 cutscenes. The dude knew where he wanted to go. He may not be an easy guy to get along with, but there's no denying that the man who birthed GoW had a true vision for it. I just didn't see that kind of grand storytelling with GoW 2, which was more about go here do this, go there do that, go back in time and save yourself (but what about the kratos in x-timeline? fuck him!).

Stig captured some of Jaffe's ideas for Kratos though, and I think he was better than Corey on many levels. In other words, I'd take Stig's version of GoW 3 than Corey's, but maybe not over Jaffe's.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
RustyNails said:
Corey is a good designer, but a shitty story/script writer. GoW 2 story is the most barebones of any game ever. Jaffe on the other hand had a vision, and it really tells from watching the GoW 1 cutscenes. The dude knew where he wanted to go. He may not be an easy guy to get along with, but there's no denying that the man who birthed GoW had a true vision for it. I just didn't see that kind of grand storytelling with GoW 2, which was more about go here do this, go there do that, go back in time and save yourself (but what about the kratos in x-timeline? fuck him!).

Stig captured some of Jaffe's ideas for Kratos though, and I think he was better than Corey on many levels. In other words, I'd take Stig's version of GoW 3 than Corey's, but maybe not over Jaffe's.
I agree with all of this.

Nizz

Why do I feel like I'm in the minority when I say I love all three games equally? I don't own a PSP so I haven't played Chains of Olympus. But I really don't think I can choose one title as my favorite. I like all three.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
MentalNoiz said:

From 0:55 - 1:00... what am I seeing? Are those twirly moves with the Cestus? Or is he switching to something else momentarily? The weapon icon doesn't seem to be changing. Did I really play through it 3 times without ever discovering those moves?

Edit: I guess it's some kind of weapon switch glitch, where you can make one weapon do the moves of another?

Top Bottom